ADVERTISEMENT

Transfer Portal: Gene Chizik of the SEC Network gave his opinion of the Transfer Portal.

Freddie.B.Cocky

Jul 19, 2002
He had a very interesting take on the Transfer process which he doesn't like at all. He said a coach could be reviewing film from practice one night and then get a tweet from a player saying he is entering the portal because a coach yelled at him during practice. He also commented on players leaving before the season has ended to prepare for the NFL draft.

When you think about it a coach, fans, players don't know if they are going to have the same team next Saturday as they did this Saturday. Chizik when on to say there are going to be a lot of unintentional consequences no one thought about relative to the Transfer Portal and the NIL deal.

College football has certainly taken a big turn, that's for sure. I guess we will have to wait and see how it all plays out. Hopefully, most of it will be for the good of the game.

Last edited:
Reactions: Brace1
There is very little "love of the game" left.
Well he basically said, and we all know this, relative to the players it's no longer about the team it's about me.

Thank heaven for College Baseball, our Yardcocks, they seem pretty into it for each other. We chatted with the bull pen guys after SCHALACKING the all mouth lizards. These young men have that edge, it reminds me of a previous group who played here (even has a sign in the bull pen), but I don't want to put all that on them today, 30 games to go lets see what things look like before the HOOVER invitational.

That same coach could be preparing a player for a scheme he runs for years and he can take off in the middle of the night and leave that kid high and dry. Not sure how that is any different.

That same coach could be preparing a player for a scheme he runs for years and he can take off in the middle of the night and leave that kid high and dry. Not sure how that is any different.

That's true. I favor a system that requires a one year waiting period after a transfer, but if a head coach leaves, the player can transfer and play right away.

That's true. I favor a system that requires a one year waiting period after a transfer, but if a head coach leaves, the player can transfer and play right away.
I would think a hybrid system might work best. A sophmore/freshman/junior has to wait a year if they transfer - rs/junior or seniors can move once with immediate play time.

Fans and coaches don't like the portal, but the guys who actually play do. It is what it is

Well he basically said, and we all know this, relative to the players it's no longer about the team it's about me.

Coaches have been bailing on players and schools for programs that either paid more or were be better situations to the coaches for decades.

Chizik is taking the typical "coach" position and making the "common" coaching comments that nobody outside of coaching has any sympathy for.

Reactions: Legendary Cock
There really is no scenario where the wide-open transfer portal improves college football.

The Portal is too new right now. Stories in print and on the web are multiplying exponentially of former scholarship players who are now either working in fast food or driving an Uber after a trip though the Portal.

A huge percentage of the players that use the portal go to a worse situation. They drop a level (P5 to G5 or even FCS). A lot lose scholarships altogether.

I believe that soon the rank and file players will come to realize this. Shortly the majority of players using the Portal will be highly sought skill players (QBs, RBs and WRs) or players that were "shopped" by another program prior to their entering the Portal.

Coaches have been bailing on players and schools for programs that either paid more or were be better situations to the coaches for decades.

Chizik is taking the typical "coach" position and making the "common" coaching comments that nobody outside of coaching has any sympathy for.
There are a lot more players that there are coaches. So absolute freedom of movement, which coaches don't actually have if administrators decide to enforce contracts, is a much larger problem for college athletics when it involves the players. And before you reply, you need to understand that I don't care whether varsity college athletics continues or not. As long as I have the other things in my life, and can go play golf as long as long as I'm able, and which I pay well to do, it doesn't mater one iota to me if intercollegiate athletic competition continues or not in any form.

Let them have the one transfer but they still have to wait out a year. This could minimize the decisions a kid might make in the heat of the moment.

Chizik said he felt there should be a cool down period before a player is allowed to enter the portal. Again, a player can get mad at practice and enter the portal that night and hence leave the team.

A self-serving and hypocritical take from a multi-millionaire coach.

Ya don’t say.

All this angst over the portal. LOL.

Much ado about not much.

As long as there remains no restrictions on coaches moving at will, then I have zero issue with it for the athletes.

A self-serving and hypocritical take from a multi-millionaire coach.

Ya don’t say.

All this angst over the portal. LOL.

Much ado about not much.

As long as there remains no restrictions on coaches moving at will, then I have zero issue with it for the athletes.
But you don't have to run a program within this system. It's ungainly at the very least, and might turn out to be unsustainable over the long run. The coaches only move because administrators allow them to break their contracts. Do away with buyout clauses and departure forgiveness and the duality between coaches and the way it was with players before the portal goes away almost entirely.

Chizik said he felt there should be a cool down period before a player is allowed to enter the portal. Again, a player can get mad at practice and enter the portal that night and hence leave the team.

There already is a "Cool-Down" period. Once a player states they wish to enter the Portal, the school has 24 hours to complete the release and enter the player into the Portal.

Transfer Portal Rules

That gives the coaches up to a day to either;

A) Develop a relationship with the player they previously didn't have, or

B) Repair the relationship.

There already is a "Cool-Down" period. Once a player states they wish to enter the Portal, the school has 24 hours to complete the release and enter the player into the Portal.

Transfer Portal Rules

That gives the coaches up to a day to either;

A) Develop a relationship with the player they previously didn't have, or

B) Repair the relationship.

I didn't realize that! According to Chizik a player didn't even have to tell you and you may find out about it on twitter. But, obviously the school would have to be notified in some matter.

Coaches whining about the Transfer Portal is disingenuous at best. Abuses and actions by coaches and schools towards players that wished to transfer prior to the formation of the Portal are what required its genesis.

An athletic scholarship is really a series of one year contracts that coaches/schools could choose to not renew without cause, leaving the athlete out in the cold. Yet, prior to the Portal, once a player signed an LOI they could not transfer without a Release from the institution.

Coaches could place any restrictions they wished onto the player with regard to other programs or conferences for the student to gain a Release. Mike Gundy of Oklahoma State, once infamously restricted a player seeking a transfer from 37 other schools or conferences.

All the Portal really does is require the institution to issue the Release and enter the player's name into the Portal within 24 hours.

As I posted earlier, the use of the Portal is probably going to change a great deal in the near future without any further rule changes. Since its inception, the number of players within the Portal has far exceeded the number of available scholarships. The result being that a large percentage of players that previously had a scholly are now without one.

Gene Chizik....

GENE CHIZIK!??!??

You mean the guy that had a QB named Cam Newton TRANSFER to his Auburn program from Florida????

If it wasn't for that, we'd all be going "who the hell is Gene Chizik???" right now, and this thread would only have 4 posts to it......

But you don't have to run a program within this system. It's ungainly at the very least, and might turn out to be unsustainable over the long run. The coaches only move because administrators allow them to break their contracts. Do away with buyout clauses and departure forgiveness and the duality between coaches and the way it was with players before the portal goes away almost entirely.

Good points.

A de facto annual free agent system isnt sustainable.

I look at the whole dynamic as being governed more by the principle of the Invisible Hand than a drunken orgy of mass transfers and destabilization of a system that is already broken.

And, I totally agree with putting restraints on coaches. You should not be able to restrict freaking college kids while allowing (and often rewarding) the very adults that have power and sway over them to do whatever the H they want.

It’s absurd. As absurd as standing before SCOTUS trying to argue the NCAA should really have an anti-trust exemption.

It also rings as hollow as the Olympics arguing years ago that professionals should never be allowed. Gasp!

He had a very interesting take on the Transfer process which he doesn't like at all. He said a coach could be reviewing film from practice one night and then get a tweet from a player saying he is entering the portal because a coach yelled at him during practice. He also commented on players leaving before the season has ended to prepare for the NFL draft.

When you think about it a coach, fans, players don't know if they are going to have the same team next Saturday as they did this Saturday. Chizik when on to say there are going to be a lot of unintentional consequences no one thought about relative to the Transfer Portal and the NIL deal.

College football has certainly taken a big turn that's for sure. I guess we will have to wait and see how it all plays out. Hopefully, most of it will be for the good of the game.
It is supposed to be for the good of the players. I hope it turns out that way, but I think the “good of the game” will likely suffer regardless.

Its like that scene from Moneyball. B.Beane tells his scouting director, "evolve or die".

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT