ADVERTISEMENT

Transfer portal

This is the kind of player that could help us. If we pick up a few upperclassmen in the portal to supplement a distressingly weak recruiting class, we could see more of an immediate impact potentially than you usually expect from freshmen. There are a TON of talented wide receivers out there right now too... a 4* OL who wound up at Charlotte this past season just hit the portal today I think- right in our back yard!

Reactions: b.wun

This is always a possibility- they may be free agents but if the interest is not there or the player’s current school recruits them into staying...

Why not just trade players? At some point, the transfer portal will not but players who got their butts hurt not getting playing time because someone else is better...

Whatever happen to work your butt off and earn a spot or fight for that spot on the team???

And college football is losing one of the last things that made it distinct from the pros. Long gone are the days of watching guys come in as a true freshman and develop and contribute to the program. And looooooooong gone are the days of guys waiting for their shot as a junior or senior. I'm a fan who identifies with the players. I know some fans (maybe most) could not care less where a player comes from or how he got here...once he puts on a Gamecock uniform, they consider him a Gamecock. Not saying their viewpoint is wrong, that's just not how my mind operates. I guess I'm just old school and like see us sink or swim with the ones we recruited. Transfers have always been part of the game, but they were fairly uncommon and usually involved extreme circumstances.

This has hit me in pro sports, as well. I'm just far less interested these days. It hit me one day a few years back when I was looking at the roster of my favorite baseball team, and I honestly only recognized 3 or 4 of the players. It was a total mashup of free agent players and almost no home-grown talent.

Maybe the transfer portal will help the rich get richer problem where your elite teams have been signing 5 and 4 star players at the same positions. Instead of standing on the sidelines after not winning the starting job they can go somewhere they should have been to start with. Like I told my idiot Clemson neighbor a few years ago. You may have a stable full of 5 and 4 star QB's but you can only play one at a time. They will be jumping ship within a year. They did exactly that. A 5 star coming out of high school thinks he's the big man, and finds out in a hurry there are a couple already there that are better. They have a choice be a 5 star clipboard holder or go somewhere they can play. No brainer in my opinion.

Maybe the transfer portal will help the rich get richer problem where your elite teams have been signing 5 and 4 star players at the same positions. Instead of standing on the sidelines after not winning the starting job they can go somewhere they should have been to start with. Like I told my idiot Clemson neighbor a few years ago. You may have a stable full of 5 and 4 star QB's but you can only play one at a time. They will be jumping ship within a year. They did exactly that. A 5 star coming out of high school thinks he's the big man, and finds out in a hurry there are a couple already there that are better. They have a choice be a 5 star clipboard holder or go somewhere they can play. No brainer in my opinion.
a la Justin Fields

The rich will only get richer via the portal.

Yes they will pick up their share in positions of need. That still leaves a lot of opportunity for the rest. I have always questioned why a 5 star would go to a school that's already loaded at his position with 5 stars. Go somewhere you can make a difference! These kids are pumped full of ego boosting smoke, and then they find out what reality is after they find themselves with little or no playing time at the school that has an easy path to the playoffs every year. Transfer to Bama and ride the bench. Transfer to USC and start. Be a difference maker!

Yes they will pick up their share in positions of need. That still leaves a lot of opportunity for the rest. I have always questioned why a 5 star would go to a school that's already loaded at his position with 5 stars. Go somewhere you can make a difference! These kids are pumped full of ego boosting smoke, and then they find out what reality is after they find themselves with little or no playing time at the school that has an easy path to the playoffs every year. Transfer to Bama and ride the bench. Transfer to USC and start. Be a difference maker!

You're not gonna see a flood of 4* and 5* players dropping down to schools like us. There will be more this year b/c of the waiver, but it won't be the case going forward. Most of your transfers are going to be lateral-type moves.

Reactions: Lakecock1
It's too chaotic. College teams almost need a Director of Player Personnel.
Ah, the old "operarional change begets administrative change." So right, Mr. Ward. We are witnessing the inevitable growth of "corporate" amateur football, what's left of it.

Also interesting along this line is the spate of general manager/head coach combos being dumped together in the NFL this week. Can ADs at the college level be far behind?

Last edited:
Reactions: king ward
You're not gonna see a flood of 4* and 5* players dropping down to schools like us. There will be more this year b/c of the waiver, but it won't be the case going forward. Most of your transfers are going to be lateral-type moves.

Dropping down to a school like us? So they will make a lateral move into the same situation they are moving from. Really makes a lot of sense! If they have a brain they will go somewhere they can be a difference maker. Why don't you act like the average Clemson fan and go jump on their bandwagon if you have no better opinion of a school like us.

Dropping down to a school like us? So they will make a lateral move into the same situation they are moving from. Really makes a lot of sense! If they have a brain they will go somewhere they can be a difference maker. Why don't you act like the average Clemson fan and go jump on their bandwagon if you have no better opinion of a school like us.

We are a bottom-tier SEC team right now. It's just the way it is. Frustrated fans have been preaching "go somewhere you can be a difference maker" for decades. Goodness, I argued that every which way with Zion Williamson. Kids just don't want that. The transfer portal may change that somewhat, but your Justin Fields of the world aren't gonna come to schools like USC. Your top flight guys are gonna transfer from top flight programs to top flight programs.

Last edited:
We are a bottom-tier SEC team right now. It's just the way it is. Frustrated fans have been preaching "go somewhere you can be a difference maker" for decades. Goodness, I argued that every which way with Zion Williamson. Kids just don't want that. The transfer portal may change that somewhat, but your Justin Fields of the world aren't gonna come to schools like USC. Your top flight guys are gonna transfer from top flight programs to top flight programs.
Fields may have if TOSU had no need for a QB with his skill set. That was simply fortuitous for both. Russell Wilson didn't go to a blue blood type school when he transferred.

Fields may have if TOSU had no need for a QB with his skill set. That was simply fortuitous for both. Russell Wilson didn't go to a blue blood type school when he transferred.

No. But he wasn't coming from a blue blood program either. He definitely moved up though, going from NC State to Wisconsin.

I'd say it's likely you might see more of this. Guys at lower tier schools who blow it up and use the portal to move to a higher tier program.

Reactions: rogue cock

They will transfer to a program that needs them. Coming out of high school they will choose the top program because they think they are the best, have been told how great they are, and that they will have playing time. After they get there and find themselves 2nd or 3rd on the depth chart they will go to a program that has a need at their position and gives them the best chance of playing time and the ability to showcase their talent to the next level. Fields had a choice stay at UGA and hold a clipboard or go to a school that had a need for a QB. He chose another blueblood OSU. Eason transferred from UGA to Washington which is a program that is not considered a blueblood no different than us. Why would Eason step down if your argument holds water? In your mind a 5 star would only transfer to another blueblood program.

They will transfer to a program that needs them. Coming out of high school they will choose the top program because they think they are the best, have been told how great they are, and that they will have playing time. After they get there and find themselves 2nd or 3rd on the depth chart they will go to a program that has a need at their position and gives them the best chance of playing time and the ability to showcase their talent to the next level. Fields had a choice stay at UGA and hold a clipboard or go to a school that had a need for a QB. He chose another blueblood OSU. Eason transferred from UGA to Washington which is a program that is not considered a blueblood no different than us. Why would Eason step down if your argument holds water? In your mind a 5 star would only transfer to another blueblood program.

Eason was seen as kind of a disappointment at UGA and his star power took a decent hit. He was ok as a freshman, but certainly not what they were hoping for...55% completion, 16 TD against 8 INT. He was from Washington so it was going back home for him.

Eason was seen as kind of a disappointment at UGA and his star power took a decent hit. He was ok as a freshman, but certainly not what they were hoping for...55% completion, 16 TD against 8 INT. He was from Washington so it was going back home for him.

You prove my point. There are many reasons a player makes a transfer and it's not just the stature of the program.

This!!! I’ve been saying it since it’s been announced for the 2021 season. Why be a 5 star sharing in revenue w/ 20 other 5 stars. I’d rather go to a program where I only have to share it w/ 3-4 other guys. It will level the playing field as long as local businesses or whoever want to hire college kids in a college town to push their products.
Now it's time to end this discussion. It is totally off the wall. 20 five stars? Seriously? Can you name one team that has 20 five stars playing? The recruiting services have an arbitrary limit of 5* recruits based on nothing. It may be 30 or 40, but it is the same every year for each service. There simply are not enough of them for one team to have that many.

You prove my point. There are many reasons a player makes a transfer and it's not just the stature of the program.

Eason was not nearly on the same plane as Fields. Fields, when he transferred, was still seen as an elite player. Eason was not. Hence, Fields went to a blue blood and Eason went to a decent program.

Eason was not nearly on the same plane as Field. Fields, when he transferred, was still seen as an elite player. Eason was not. Hence, Fields went to a blue blood and Eason went to a decent program.

You ever here of a guy named Joe Burrow?

You ever here of a guy named Joe Burrow?

Yeah, he transferred from OSU to LSU. What's your point? He was not elite as a recruit or as a transfer. In his own words, OSU was his only big-time commitable offer. When transferring, his options were Cincy and LSU. He did not skyrocket to elite status until he got to LSU.

Last edited:

The THIRD OL to leave Va Tech! I wonder if BEAMER knows anybody close to the Va Tech program? 🤔
This one tips the scales at almost 380 pounds and only played in one game this past season. I don't think he will be hearing much from our staff. OL is not a priority.

We were on the fringe of being an elite team when Spurrier turned down Russell Wilson when he inquired about transferring here.

It’s a pattern for that troll.
More obvious each day
Wonder if he’s a “ just being real “ guy

It’s a pattern for that troll.
More obvious each day
Wonder if he’s a “ just being real “ guy

We are 6-16 the past 2 seasons. We were the 2nd worst team in the SEC this season. If we're not a step down, who are we a step up from?????

We simply aren't going to be a landing spot for any elite-level transfers at the moment (if any of those are even out there). I never said we can't pick up good transfers. Joe Burrow was not seen as an elite player when he transferred from OSU. But anyone who thinks we're gonna start picking up 5* transfers is delusional.

Does anyone know if there will be a change in the scholarship numbers because everyone is grant an additional year?

Setting the bar at Justin Fields or.. Baker Mayfield.. Joe Burrow... Is unreasonable. That is like saying a recruit was only a success if they go first in the NFL draft like Clowney did... Those guys above are good examples to counter the idiots who think players only transfer when they “aren’t any good”, and like recruiting some in the portal probably are not very good- but the vast majority of the kids hitting the portal are solid (comparable to 3-4* level recruits) who just want a change- be it to get away from a new coach they hate, to get away from personal stuff like say a bad breakup, to follow a coach they have a relationship with, or simply to get more exposure. Hard to say a guy who was on a team for one or two years and redshirted/ burried behind other star players is not “good enough” to have seen the field eventually. If they transfer there is no way of knowing that.

The portal is slam full of guys who are better than players we have on our roster now and we need to use it to try to get talent upgrades at multiple positions immediately. Maybe we get a guy who IS the next Justin Fields or maybe we “just” get our next Javon Kinlaw or Duce Staley? Maybe we get a Collin Hill or two as well- like recruiting it is all conjecture until you see them do it. What we DO KNOW about transfers is they are coming in with at least a year of experience at the college level- some have played some have “just” been under a college program practice and S&C development schedule. Either way, they have a leg up on all incoming HS players from an experience and development standpoint.

Reactions: GridironGunslinger
Setting the bar at Justin Fields or.. Baker Mayfield.. Joe Burrow... Is unreasonable. That is like saying a recruit was only a success if they go first in the NFL draft like Clowney did... Those guys above are good examples to counter the idiots who think players only transfer when they “aren’t any good”, and like recruiting some in the portal probably are not very good- but the vast majority of the kids hitting the portal are solid (comparable to 3-4* level recruits) who just want a change- be it to get away from a new coach they hate, to get away from personal stuff like say a bad breakup, to follow a coach they have a relationship with, or simply to get more exposure. Hard to say a guy who was on a team for one or two years and redshirted/ burried behind other star players is not “good enough” to have seen the field eventually. If they transfer there is no way of knowing that.

The portal is slam full of guys who are better than players we have on our roster now and we need to use it to try to get talent upgrades at multiple positions immediately. Maybe we get a guy who IS the next Justin Fields or maybe we “just” get our next Javon Kinlaw or Duce Staley? Maybe we get a Collin Hill or two as well- like recruiting it is all conjecture until you see them do it. What we DO KNOW about transfers is they are coming in with at least a year of experience at the college level- some have played some have “just” been under a college program practice and S&C development schedule. Either way, they have a leg up on all incoming HS players from an experience and development standpoint.
You are being farrrrr too logical and reasonable for this place.

Well, yes, I made this point above. We can get good players through the portal. Just don't expect 5* guys to be lining up to transfer here.

Well, yes, I made this point above. We can get good players through the portal. Just don't expect 5* guys to be lining up to transfer here.

Who said 5 stars would be lining up to come here? But, there are some that will for many different reasons. There are plenty of 3 and 4 stars that will and can help us out in positions of need.

Last edited:
This one tips the scales at almost 380 pounds and only played in one game this past season. I don't think he will be hearing much from our staff. OL is not a priority.
OL is not a priority????? We struggled mightily LY in pass protection, worst in the SEC or close to it. I would say OL is a priority this cycle and pretty much every cycle. Can't ever have enough of these guys.

OL is not a priority????? We struggled mightily LY in pass protection, worst in the SEC or close to it. I would say OL is a priority this cycle and pretty much every cycle. Can't ever have enough of these guys.

Should have phrased my response a little differently. I agree that OL should be a priority every year, but when you break down our roster and the TREMENDOUS needs we have at WR, at LB, and at CB/S, then those needs trump the priority of signing additional OL over players who are much more needed at those other positions.

Most of our OL on the roster are former high 3 star, low 4 star recruits with size and experience. And, the position group as a whole is still relatively young. The 2 newcomers will help as well. There is talent there, it just needs to a new coach to continue to develop/maximize that talent. How's that?

Last edited:
Reactions: carolinamyke
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT