ADVERTISEMENT

Transfer portal

Gamecock Lifer

GarnetTrust.com Member/Supporter
Gold Member
Oct 8, 2008
Well there has been some discussion about the transfer portal in a couple other threads, I figured it was time to stop hijacking those and figured it would be interesting to make a thread about the portal as this may be the single biggest change we have seen in CFB DURING OUR LIFETIMES. Seriously. Think about the implications- no more waiting if you transfer!

Already- the portal is slam full of great players already- this is basically an entirely new recruiting base except these guys are all abyear or more removed from HS, being developed by colkege coaches for that time and many have been contributors already at the college level if not starters or even some who have been stars at their current schools!

^247 has a good resource for this (sorry GCC staff, if there is a rivals one I have not found it?) and there are numerous pages you can follow on twitter that keep you updated... A lot of what these kids look for is a home where they have an existing relationship with a coach/coaches. We have a new HC who has been recruiting all over the country the past 20 years and has connections with countless players and advisors for these kids... Many transfers are moving to get more playing time (we can OBVIOUSLY offer that at many positions) and/or more exposure- again, we have that! Every game is televised- most nationally! Some want to upgrade to a better conference to face better competition- doesn’t get better than the SEC! We are not currently a title contender so the “Just Fields/Jaylen Hurts” types of guys may not want to come here but if we can reinforce our DL, WR core and secondary with a few transfers... This team could literally go from awful to pretty solid in one offseason! Sure we could lose some guys too, but this cycle I think the vast majority of guys who want to leave have already left! Beamer has talked to all of our key players and says the feedback from them and their families has been tremendously positive...

Maybe we won’t get a single one, who knows- but this IS CFB now! This is the only way we will rise back to relevance in less than 3 or so years.. Beamer has talked at length about his connections and his focus on the portal and I feel where many of our previous coaches seemed to not pursue transfers, he sounds like he is keyed into it, and why would he not be excited about it!?! When he got to Oklahoma in 2018, Baker Mayfield (a TRANSFER) had just won the heisman there! Then, in 2018, their QB Kyler Murray- ALSO A TRANSFER- won the Heisman, and last year, Jaylen Hurts- YEP ANOTHER TRANSFER- lit the world on fire at Ou and was a Heisman finalist if I recall... He has seen first hand the process OU used to “recruit” those transfers (never recall any issues with them being accused of improper interference?) and he has seen how it turned out to produce some of the greatest players in OU history.

Again- this is a tremendous opportunity and needs to be embraced! It will be a new situation to some extent for many coaches who did not actively pursue transfers much previously- but apparently our coach has been on a team the past three years that is quite familiar with the process.. We may be able to really fill some gaps left by a weak recruiting class that he just simply got here too late to do much about... We need to do what we can to improve this class between now and the next signing period but I firmly believe that the best opportunity lies in the portal.

Last edited:
It will because we will not get any good players. We may get one from Gardner Webb.
I don’t care where they come from! People brought up Hill as a negative example- we also brought in Prentice as a transfer and he was one of our most consistent offensive players- won OPW one week from the FB position! Just like recruiting you win some you lose some...

I know things change...I know players rights are important...
I just can't help but think in 5 years this whole process of transfers is going to really tarnish college football in some major ways
Just wait until the players start collecting name and likeness revenue and start appearing in advertising for local businesses. 5-star recruits won't be happy sitting on the bench for 2 or 3 years as a nobody behind other former 5-star recruits. They'll be looking for immediate playing time (and stardom) so they can start collecting a piece of the action. You may see half of a team looking to transfer out to a place where they can start. I don't think we can even predict what college football may look like in 10 years.

Just wait until the players start collecting name and likeness revenue and start appearing in advertising for local businesses. 5-star recruits won't be happy sitting on the bench for 2 or 3 years as a nobody behind other former 5-star recruits. They'll be looking for immediate playing time (and stardom) so they can start collecting a piece of the action. You may see half of a team looking to transfer out to a place where they can start. I don't think we can even predict what college football may look like in 10 years.
It looks like that is happening at Va Tech!

I don’t care where they come from! People brought up Hill as a negative example- we also brought in Prentice as a transfer and he was one of our most consistent offensive players- won OPW one week from the FB position! Just like recruiting you win some you lose some...
AND we went 2-8. Good call. Keep getting those studs.

Will ”headhunting” augment the bagman? How’s the NCAA going to try to discourage boosters and staff from making “headhunting” inquiries among other teams? This thing is going to be a mess I believe. “Hey, buddy. We think you’re great. And there’s a car wash in town that would love to throw up a billboard ad with your image for a cool 100k. Want to transfer?”

WTF are you talking about? I am talking about improving a crappy team... To do that we need new players and this is a new source to get them fast. Making smartass comments that have no relevance to the discussion is really a “good call”.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Live look at college coaches trying to balance the continuously growing transfer portal, their current rosters and scholarship limits..... <a href="https://t.co/jGjXD7dxss">pic.twitter.com/jGjXD7dxss</a></p>&mdash; NCAA Transfer Portal (@RivalsPortal) <a href="">December 17, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Reactions: Gamecock Lifer

This!!! I’ve been saying it since it’s been announced for the 2021 season. Why be a 5 star sharing in revenue w/ 20 other 5 stars. I’d rather go to a program where I only have to share it w/ 3-4 other guys. It will level the playing field as long as local businesses or whoever want to hire college kids in a college town to push their products.

Reactions: carolinacanopy
This!!! I’ve been saying it since it’s been announced for the 2021 season. Why be a 5 star sharing in revenue w/ 20 other 5 stars. I’d rather go to a program where I only have to share it w/ 3-4 other guys. It will level the playing field as long as local businesses or whoever want to hire college kids in a college town to push their products.
If this is the case, it likely would increase parity in CFB- which is a trend that helps the “have nots” (us)..

WTF are you talking about? I am talking about improving a crappy team... To do that we need new players and this is a new source to get them fast. Making smartass comments that have no relevance to the discussion is really a “good call”.
Nobody whom is good is coming to this dumpster fire. We don’t have a clue who will be our QB year in year out. Defense will not be built with transfers that’s a fact. It will take us years to be a 500 team in the sec. This team is only deep in preferred walk ons. Let me hear your sales pitch?

• Angry
Reactions: BobtheBuilder6289
Dead on. It will change college football as we know it. From determining schools to attend to capitalize on fame to determining when a coach is maximizing or limiting your profit. Recruiting pitches will include market size, media opportunities, playing time demands and positional promises which carry a penalty for teams if they don't get you in the right spot.

Nobody whom is good is coming to this dumpster fire. We don’t have a clue who will be our QB year in year out. Defense will not be built with transfers that’s a fact. It will take us years to be a 500 team in the sec. This team is only deep in preferred walk ons. Let me hear your sales pitch?
Brand new vision/direction
Trust your leadership
Help build it from the ground back up
Be the first to do it at SC, new heights
Change the perception of a program
Fight for the state/take down mighty Clemson
Win SEC Championship for the first time in school history
Win National Championship for first time in school history
Build/establish a brand
Only way to go is up from here

...I could keep going but these just kind of flew out

I already posted “the official sales pitch” released by the media department:

If this is the case, it likely would increase parity in CFB- which is a trend that helps the “have nots” (us)..
It might lead to parity, but I think it might also just change who the "haves" are. It depends on where this all leads. Every major program has big donors who are willing to spend gobs of money to see their team win, but which programs have the most of those? It's not hard to imagine, for example, the rich owner of an oil-drilling company paying the starting QB of State U $500k to appear in a couple of TV spots for his company. It doesn't really matter if the ads actually generate $500K in sales for the company because advertising was really the point, right?

How much is an 18 year old's autograph worth? $50? $100? Maybe it's worth $200,000 if a booster is willing to pay that much for it. Who determines the fair market value of a kid's likeness? Once the players profit from their name and likeness, I'm not sure where it goes from there or how you police it - or if you can police it. How much money can the top players at Texas and Texas A&M make? Maybe they'll take a pay cut when they get drafted into the NFL.

Well there has been some discussion about the transfer portal in a couple other threads, I figured it was time to stop hijacking those and figured it would be interesting to make a thread about the portal as this may be the single biggest change we have seen in CFB DURING OUR LIFETIMES. Seriously. Think about the implications- no more waiting if you transfer!

Already- the portal is slam full of great players already- this is basically an entirely new recruiting base except these guys are all abyear or more removed from HS, being developed by colkege coaches for that time and many have been contributors already at the college level if not starters or even some who have been stars at their current schools!

^247 has a good resource for this (sorry GCC staff, if there is a rivals one I have not found it?) and there are numerous pages you can follow on twitter that keep you updated... A lot of what these kids look for is a home where they have an existing relationship with a coach/coaches. We have a new HC who has been recruiting all over the country the past 20 years and has connections with countless players and advisors for these kids... Many transfers are moving to get more playing time (we can OBVIOUSLY offer that at many positions) and/or more exposure- again, we have that! Every game is televised- most nationally! Some want to upgrade to a better conference to face better competition- doesn’t get better than the SEC! We are not currently a title contender so the “Just Fields/Jaylen Hurts” types of guys may not want to come here but if we can reinforce our DL, WR core and secondary with a few transfers... This team could literally go from awful to pretty solid in one offseason! Sure we could lose some guys too, but this cycle I think the vast majority of guys who want to leave have already left! Beamer has talked to all of our key players and says the feedback from them and their families has been tremendously positive...

Maybe we won’t get a single one, who knows- but this IS CFB now! This is the only way we will rise back to relevance in less than 3 or so years.. Beamer has talked at length about his connections and his focus on the portal and I feel where many of our previous coaches seemed to not pursue transfers, he sounds like he is keyed into it, and why would he not be excited about it!?! When he got to Oklahoma in 2018, Baker Mayfield (a TRANSFER) had just won the heisman there! Then, in 2018, their QB Kyler Murray- ALSO A TRANSFER- won the Heisman, and last year, Jaylen Hurts- YEP ANOTHER TRANSFER- lit the world on fire at Ou and was a Heisman finalist if I recall... He has seen first hand the process OU used to “recruit” those transfers (never recall any issues with them being accused of improper interference?) and he has seen how it turned out to produce some of the greatest players in OU history.

Again- this is a tremendous opportunity and needs to be embraced! It will be a new situation to some extent for many coaches who did not actively pursue transfers much previously- but apparently our coach has been on a team the past three years that is quite familiar with the process.. We may be able to really fill some gaps left by a weak recruiting class that he just simply got here too late to do much about... We need to do what we can to improve this class between now and the next signing period but I firmly believe that the best opportunity lies in the portal.
This reminds of the NFL expansion draft, and our Gamecocks are the expansion team. I hope the portal works in our team's favor.

Let’s see Oregon has a local small business that would probably pay well and add a nice branding opportunity. Same goes for Maryland.

It will because we will not get any good players. We may get one from Gardner Webb.

Jesus...shut up and find someone else to pull for.

WOW. So why are you here? Come back in 5 years if thats what you believe because Beamer has a big contract and he not going anywhere anytime soon.

Reactions: rogue cock
WOW. So why are you here? Come back in 5 years if thats what you believe because Beamer has a big contract and he not going anywhere anytime soon.

$2.75 Million a year is not anywhere near a "Big Contract" it's last in the SEC and only Marginally more than some top assistants make.

Jesus...shut up and find someone else to pull for.
Wake up man. Please don’t tell me You really think that we can turn this thing around In a few years. I love my gamecocks more than anybody but we don’t have enough to compete with the Kentucky’s of the world. Our D is horrid and our offense has zippo at WRs. I love our RBs but that’s all we have. How many stud WRs are coming in this year? No help. We have more preferred walk on WRs on this team then I’ve ever seen for a SEC school.

Muschamp is gone. Maybe you didn't hear. Try to have just an iota of hope.

As others have said. This could actually level the playing field. A very good recruit at a school that consistently has top 5 recruiting classes may not get to play at that school. He is still very good. He may not want to wait until he is an upperclassman (if at all) to get that starting role. Where he could play multiple years elsewhere. Stockpiling talent may get harder.

Lol I gotta say, you don’t sound like you are much of a Gamecock fan

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT