ADVERTISEMENT

Travaris Robinson

BattleshipTexas

Oct 15, 2001
Travaris Robinson. No worries here? Rumors around Texas are that Fisher at A&M is courting Travaris Robinson to be the Aggies DC. It is always good when your coaches are in demand. Bad when no one tries to steal them. I don't know where the Aggies are getting this money, they paid so much for Fisher and even hired a recruiting coordinator from FSU for $1.3 million dollars a year. So I imagine they can bid pretty high for a full DC. I don't see any posts on this here, is this a surprise, being censored or only a baseless rumor?

Travaris Robinson. No worries here? Rumors around Texas are that Fisher at A&M is courting Travaris Robinson to be the Aggies DC. It is always good when your coaches are in demand. Bad when no one tries to steal them. I don't know where the Aggies are getting this money, they paid so much for Fisher and even hired a recruiting coordinator from FSU for $1.3 million dollars a year. So I imagine they can bid pretty high for a full DC. I don't see any posts on this here, is this a surprise, being censored or only a baseless rumor?
I can tell your where the money comes from, the alums, just like taterville! We are no where near that. When we beat them 5 in a row, their alums got together and said "this was not going to happen again". Enough said.

If they're paying 1.3 million for a recruiting coordinator then I imagine a DC would be pushing two. So if he's their guy he's gone. We'd never match that. Might cripple beach volleyball if we did you know.
Yep we can't fix the bathrooms or concessions at the Brice until beach volleyball gets a whole new facility.

I love capitalism and the free market system as much or more than anyone. However, these big dollars being given to these coaches, in my opinion, is going to ruin college football. In the future, there will be four or five teams that are able to pay gazillions of dollars for who they want as their coaches, and they will control big time college football. Yes, the big schools are doing it now, but, in the future, that number will be reduced to fewer and fewer schools.

Why wouldn't Jimbo want Bent Vegetable? He is the greatest, elite, superior, bestest DC on the face of the earth. I know he's being courted as Arky head coach....wait, that didn't go his way. Surprise, surprise!!

Reactions: lostcock
There should be no problem with money with the SEC cash we get every year. Unless money is funneled where it should not go. Beach volleyball you have a net, some sand, some balls, and whatever you pay a coach for that.

I love capitalism and the free market system as much or more than anyone. However, these big dollars being given to these coaches, in my opinion, is going to ruin college football. In the future, there will be four or five teams that are able to pay gazillions of dollars for who they want as their coaches, and they will control big time college football. Yes, the big schools are doing it now, but, in the future, that number will be reduced to fewer and fewer schools.
We are already there my friend. And I agree with you. It's not sustainable.

Why should anyone worry? We have as much money as anyone in America. I read it right here.

Having money and the will to spend it are two different things...Why don't go check Forbes list of the wealthiest ADs in college football, if you doubt it....Our boosters are able and willing...We do give...We simply need Administrators that are willing to do whatever is required to win...For some reason we think we can climb the mountain by upgrading facilities and playing by the rules....Upgrading facilities is what you do after you buy the best coaches and players

Having money and the will to spend it are two different things...Why don't go check Forbes list of the wealthiest ADs in college football, if you doubt it....Our boosters are able and willing...We do give...We simply need Administrators that are willing to do whatever is required to win...For some reason we think we can climb the mountain by upgrading facilities and playing by the rules....Upgrading facilities is what you do after you buy the best coaches and players
I've checked the Forbes list. Revenue generation, plus stewardship of that revenue, determines liquidity. Liquidity is the issue.

TAMU money comes from oil wells...and a lot of it.
Maybe you haven't noticed the number of oil producers filing chapter 11 in Texas in the last couple of years. The price of oil plummeted, but their production costs didn't.

Seems like an odd hire for Fisher. For one thing TRob has never shown he can coordinate a defense outside of Muschamp's shadow. Now, that maybe a reason why TRob would be interested, besides the salary bump, but it would be a reason for caution on Jimbo's part. Remember that Jimbo is an offensive guy, so he'll rely on his DC heavily. Also, one of TRob's great strengths is his ability to recruit south Florida, which would be wasted in College Station. But I'm not sure what Fisher's other options are since no one plays defense in the state of Texas. He's probably going to have to get a DC from outside the region.

I’ve heard that Phil Bennett from AZ St is who Fisher is zeroed in on.

A lot of talk of that too. But he may join the staff as something other than DC. Bennett is an Aggie alum that owns a house in College Station Texas and his wife lives there most of the year. He is an older guy, 62, and may not be the choice for DC, even if he joins the staff in some capacity. Bennett is a former Baylor DC so he knows defending the Big12 offenses and local recruiting.

Yes, beach volleyball better get something or we'll be sitting with title IX issues. Not arguing your point, as I think sometimes title IX is abused. As far as TRob, had he been a DC before he got here? Don't give me wrong, I'm glad he is here, and think he will become a great DC. Not sure he has enough experience at this point for someone to take a gamble on him.

Last edited:
Yawwwn. If he goes so be it. MUSCHAMP is our DC. Robinson is his assistant. Believe whatever you want, that is fact.

Maybe you haven't noticed the number of oil producers filing chapter 11 in Texas in the last couple of years. The price of oil plummeted, but their production costs didn't.

They lived high on the hog for decades. Most of them still probably doing well. If not hope they invested wisely

They lived high on the hog for decades. Most of them still probably doing well. If not hope they invested wisely

The oil industry is the most boom and bust industry ever. In Texas you see bumper stickers "Lord just give me one more oil boom, I promise not to p!ss it all away this time". A friend in Midland Texas showed me that the city resembled a tree stump where you could see the rings of the tree. Every boom the city expanded and each crash it contracted, so you could see recorded every oil boom like they were tree rings of the city.

A lot of talk of that too. But he may join the staff as something other than DC. Bennett is an Aggie alum that owns a house in College Station Texas and his wife lives there most of the year. He is an older guy, 62, and may not be the choice for DC, even if he joins the staff in some capacity. Bennett is a former Baylor DC so he knows defending the Big12 offenses and local recruiting.
Judging from your avatar, I’m guessing that you breed/raise Boxers?

Judging from your avatar, I’m guessing that you breed/raise Boxers?

No, that is a baby English Mastiff. 4 weeks old. It does look a bit like a boxer in that photo, but nothing like it when grown. I should change out my avatar with a grown up picture of her. Even though the smallest of her litter, she grew up to 150+ lbs. The male dogs of the litter were substantially bigger.

Reactions: Jpcooper

They just spent 500m on stadium upgrades, gave a football coach a guaranteed 75m contract, apparently gave him a bunch of blank checks and told him to hire his staff. All of that makes Sumlin's buyout look like a bargain. They financial situation must not be too dire.

Reactions: lawcalcock
They just spent 500m on stadium upgrades, gave a football coach a guaranteed 75m contract, apparently gave him a bunch of blank checks and told him to hire his staff. All of that makes Sumlin's buyout look like a bargain. They financial situation must not be too dire.

some fans don't understand the most expensive mistake an athletic department can make is to accept mediocrity...Losing costs more than any salary you can pay great HBC...Losing is so punitive that in the long run cheating at recruiting pays off...Alabama pays Saban a ton and is still making tons of profit on the deal

Reactions: 92Pony
No, that is a baby English Mastiff. 4 weeks old. It does look a bit like a boxer in that photo, but nothing like it when grown. I should change out my avatar with a grown up picture of her. Even though the smallest of her litter, she grew up to 150+ lbs. The male dogs of the litter were substantially bigger.
That is a lot of dog. Beautiful though. Does she shed much

T-Rob is close to head coach candidate status. Our D is progressing and looking up. I'm guessing it would take some huge bucks to make him move because it would be a set back in his timeline to being a HC. Think about it......what does it cost an assistant coach who moves to another school laterally if they are HC material ? At least one year as a HC. What's that, maybe $2 million lost ?

some fans don't understand the most expensive mistake an athletic department can make is to accept mediocrity...Losing costs more than any salary you can pay great HBC...Losing is so punitive that in the long run cheating at recruiting pays off...Alabama pays Saban a ton and is still making tons of profit on the deal

I am not one of those, I was replying to the guy who said money was tight because oil prices were down and many chapter 11's were being filed but that it didn't have a big effect on A&Ml's spending.

That is a lot of dog. Beautiful though. Does she shed much

Per square inch of coat she isn't worse than other dogs, the problem is she has a lot of square inches of coat. So, yes. Drool too. But easiest dog to housebreak ever. Also could be a diplomat as follows very strict protocols. I can leave a T-bone steak on the table in easy reach, if I don't say she can have it she wouldn't touch it. Also, for things like couches and chairs, if I don't say she can sit on them, she wouldn't dare. No threatening or teaching just her deference to me as pack leader. But once you allow her on the couch, bed or chair once, there are no takebacks, permission can't be revoked. they really don't think of themselves as dogs, but as people. If you go to a dog park, they ignore other dogs and go around and greet all the other dog owners. Very friendly to people, but certainly protective of their family (pack) if needed. Don't bark much but if they do the ground sort of shakes it sounds a bit like a lion growl.

Reactions: Jpcooper
Maybe it's just that talking about it won't prevent it from happening if it is meant to be.

Maybe it's just that talking about it won't prevent it from happening if it is meant to be.

It is interesting it is taking A&M a while to name the DC. There is even a wild rumor he is going after Bud Foster from VTech, who everyone thinks will never move.

mastiffs are great. I have a French Bulldog and a Boston Terrier

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT