ADVERTISEMENT

Two Gamecocks will be the national player of the year in their sport this coming season

Wish either were in a sport that mattered

giphy.gif

Reactions: DC-99
A true Gamecock fan would never make such a statement. Go tell every swimmer, runner, golfer, etc. face to face who puts in long hours of practice/training that it doesn't matter.

A true Gamecock fan wants all sports to compete well, win championships, and represent USC well, whether or not such a fan does or does not follow a specific sport. Personally, equestrian does not resonate with me. Nonetheless, if the team does well and/or individuals on the team do well, I enjoy reading posts about it that others make on FGF, and do take some pride in it vis a vis the school.

Heck, I'd like to see us start a varsity men's volleyball team. Doubt it will happen, though.

Good news to think about for the coming year. Both have already been the MVP and captain of our national team.

A'ja Wilson in WBB
Savannah McCaskill in W soccer
Yes on A'ja but McCaskill will be a tough sell because of the wine and cheese ACC soccer bias. Some less deserving Tarhole or devil will get it.

So basketball doesn't matter and soccer ⚽️ doesn't matter, or is it that women don't matter?

well, our women's national championship game had a 2.4 rating and the coastal-arizona final game had a .31 rating....guess men's baseball does not matter either. of course, women's softball cws eclipsed viewership of last years men's cws as well.

http://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-women/article/2017-04-10/2017-womens-final-four-thrives-dallas

for comparison, this is the ncaa football championship game.

http://thebiglead.com/2017/01/10/alabama-clemson-ratings-national-championship-overnight/

and finally, it appears that as many people care about our womens basketball championship as they do the acc championship game last year and even our crappy bowls game.

http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/college-football-tv-ratings/

Last edited:
Bash this guy all you want but he said what everyone was thinking after reading this... everyone who opened this thread did so with the hopes one of the people mentioned would be a men's football or basketball player! BS on everyone trying to pump up our WOMENS BB championship. Did that give you something to crack on Taters about after they won the FB NC? Hell no! Our trip to the final four in men's was much more meaningful. Ratings don't matter- national perception matters and we are still an also ran in the two meaningful sports. Doesn't mean women don't matter or that FB/ men's BB are the only sports we SHOULD play or root for, but we have a pathetic habit as a fan base of attaching all of our support to whatever obscure sport is winning at the time in an effort to get over the frustration of NEVER WINNING A NC IN EITHER FB OR BB!! That is why baseball is so popular here today, when it doesn't even move the needle at 99% of the schools in the country! When UNC SMOKED US earlier this year, UNC fans didn't even Notice! Our call in shows were flooded with frustrated people. Call in shows in NC didn't get ANY CALLS about the game... we need to stop trying to fill the void with sports nobody but us cares about! Let's go win something that MATTERS for a change!! The final four run was a step in the right direction. Congrats to he women. I watched the game but it was the only one I could sit through... WBB is boring as hell!! Be real!

Bash this guy all you want but he said what everyone was thinking after reading this... everyone who opened this thread did so with the hopes one of the people mentioned would be a men's football or basketball player! BS on everyone trying to pump up our WOMENS BB championship. Did that give you something to crack on Taters about after they won the FB NC? Hell no! Our trip to the final four in men's was much more meaningful. Ratings don't matter- national perception matters and we are still an also ran in the two meaningful sports. Doesn't mean women don't matter or that FB/ men's BB are the only sports we SHOULD play or root for, but we have a pathetic habit as a fan base of attaching all of our support to whatever obscure sport is winning at the time in an effort to get over the frustration of NEVER WINNING A NC IN EITHER FB OR BB!! That is why baseball is so popular here today, when it doesn't even move the needle at 99% of the schools in the country! When UNC SMOKED US earlier this year, UNC fans didn't even Notice! Our call in shows were flooded with frustrated people. Call in shows in NC didn't get ANY CALLS about the game... we need to stop trying to fill the void with sports nobody but us cares about! Let's go win something that MATTERS for a change!! The final four run was a step in the right direction. Congrats to he women. I watched the game but it was the only one I could sit through... WBB is boring as hell!! Be real!
I can't get into women's sports either - great if you can, more power to ya - but I just haven't been able to

They matter to me; they matter to the fans who provide the nation's leading attendance in Women's Basketball at USC and 3rd in attendance in Women's Soccer. Plenty more sports matter besides football. The arrogance of USC football fans are turning me off in regards to football more and more every year and upping my support for both basketball programs.

A true Gamecock fan would never make such a statement. Go tell every swimmer, runner, golfer, etc. face to face who puts in long hours of practice/training that it doesn't matter.

A true Gamecock fan wants all sports to compete well, win championships, and represent USC well, whether or not such a fan does or does not follow a specific sport. Personally, equestrian does not resonate with me. Nonetheless, if the team does well and/or individuals on the team do well, I enjoy reading posts about it that others make on FGF, and do take some pride in it vis a vis the school.

Heck, I'd like to see us start a varsity men's volleyball team. Doubt it will happen, though.

I'm a true Gamecock and could care less about swimming teams or the high dive team. They don't matter

They matter to me; they matter to the fans who provide the nation's leading attendance in Women's Basketball at USC and 3rd in attendance in Women's Soccer. Plenty more sports matter besides football. The arrogance of USC football fans are turning me off in regards to football more and more every year and upping my support for both basketball programs.

Most of your post turn us off

The only way I will care about women's sports is if my daughter is involved. Baseball barely moves the meter for me. Football is 90 pct of the give a damn pie, basketball 8 pct and baseball 2 pct. it is past time to win a championship in football and/or basketball. The athletic department has been mismanaged for a century. The results show it.

well, our women's national championship game had a 2.4 rating and the coastal-arizona final game had a .31 rating....guess men's baseball does not matter either. of course, women's softball cws eclipsed viewership of last years men's cws as well.

http://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-women/article/2017-04-10/2017-womens-final-four-thrives-dallas

for comparison, this is the ncaa football championship game.

http://thebiglead.com/2017/01/10/alabama-clemson-ratings-national-championship-overnight/

and finally, it appears that as many people care about our womens basketball championship as they do the acc championship game last year and even our crappy bowls game.

http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/college-football-tv-ratings/

Define matters.

Post of the Year
Some of you guys are playing right into Clemson fans hands. Be proud of the fact we won the WBB championship; they didn't even make the post season. If all you think about is that Clemson has bragging rights in football, than you are defining your (our) existence based on what they are accomplishing.
How many on FGF gave up on the MBB season because we happened to lose on a last second shot to the taters? Some of you act like it would have been better to beat Clemson than to go to the final four. Let me tell you, from a national perspective, Clemson MBB is nothing, USC is an up and coming power with a great coach with national appeal.
Like it or not, WBB is the third most popular college sport. Many more sports fans can name the current WBB national champions than the CWS or Frozen Four national champions. I happened to be in western NY a couple of weeks ago, and when people found out I live in SC, they immediately referred to both our basketball programs, nobody mentioned Clemson and football. Most casual fans outside the SE have no idea where Clemson is, they think it is maybe in Alabama somewhere.
So, in closing, take pride in the successful teams we have instead on denigrating them. Sure, we all wish football was more successful, but appreciate the success we are having in other sports.

Some of you guys are playing right into Clemson fans hands. Be proud of the fact we won the WBB championship; they didn't even make the post season. If all you think about is that Clemson has bragging rights in football, than you are defining your (our) existence based on what they are accomplishing.
How many on FGF gave up on the MBB season because we happened to lose on a last second shot to the taters? Some of you act like it would have been better to beat Clemson than to go to the final four. Let me tell you, from a national perspective, Clemson MBB is nothing, USC is an up and coming power with a great coach with national appeal.
Like it or not, WBB is the third most popular college sport. Many more sports fans can name the current WBB national champions than the CWS or Frozen Four national champions. I happened to be in western NY a couple of weeks ago, and when people found out I live in SC, they immediately referred to both our basketball programs, nobody mentioned Clemson and football. Most casual fans outside the SE have no idea where Clemson is, they think it is maybe in Alabama somewhere.
So, in closing, take pride in the successful teams we have instead on denigrating them. Sure, we all wish football was more successful, but appreciate the success we are having in other sports.

Can we give that part of the state to Alabama? That would be awesome.

Geez, man... I was just praising the post about Jarvis Giles...

The only way I will care about women's sports is if my daughter is involved. Baseball barely moves the meter for me. Football is 90 pct of the give a damn pie, basketball 8 pct and baseball 2 pct. it is past time to win a championship in football and/or basketball. The athletic department has been mismanaged for a century. The results show it.
The fact that you are a bad fan of our school has no bearing to the rest of us. You and all your buddies should be ashamed. I swear y'all are worse than Clemson fans. At least they are not pretending to like The University of South Carolina.

Most of your post turn us off
People like you, are embarrassing. You and your hateful gamecock brothers are trying to compensate for some "small" issues in your life. Please. Your machismo is obviously tied to sports that cover your "shortcomings". All Gamecock sports matter.

Reactions: atl-cock
I'm more concerned about what matters to me than what matters to someone else. And no, I was not concerned about which sport the potential MVPs played.

Last edited:
So in short the women don't matter to some but also to alot more! Just sayin........

Reactions: Tiger71

Cool story.....so like I said, Jarvis Giles in FB.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT