ADVERTISEMENT

UCF demolishes Georgia Tech in Atlanta,

gamecock stock

Jul 14, 2000
In case Muschamp trips over his whistle this season, I have been pounding the table for us to look at Josh Heupel of UCF. He is young (42), offensive-minded in the era of offense wins championships in college football and 22-4 record in his first 2 seasons. Heupel and Billy Napier will be hot prospects at the end of this season.

Hopefully, Muschamp will win this season and make such speculation needless. Certainly pulling for Champ to make it happen.

My only concern about Heupel is that he didn’t build UCF. Not saying I would hate the hire, but He did walk into a great situation at UCF.
What are you talking about? The year before Heupel took over, Scott Frost had a very good season. But, the year before that, UCF lost 7 games. And the year before that, they were winless. Heupel won 85% of his games in his first 2 seasons as a Head Coach and just walked all over a Power 5 conference school on the road. You still have concerns? If Muschamp fails this season, we'd be VERY fortunate to bring in Heupel.

Reactions: Legendary Cock
It just amazes me a team that recruits no better than they do can play at a high level. They would probably walk into WB and do the same thing.

Reactions: TheReelEss
In case Muschamp trips over his whistle this season, I have been pounding the table for us to look at Josh Heupel of UCF. He is young (42), offensive-minded in the era of offense wins championships in college football and 22-4 record in his first 2 seasons. Heupel and Billy Napier will be hot prospects at the end of this season.

Hopefully, Muschamp will win this season and make such speculation needless. Certainly pulling for Champ to make it happen.
Both of those guys are gonna be sought after very soon. l think no matter what happens this season, Will is here through the 2021 season. After that, who knows? If he doesn’t produce wins by then, he should be shown the door.

Reactions: Gamecock Lifer
My only concern about Heupel is that he didn’t build UCF. Not saying I would hate the hire, but He did walk into a great situation at UCF.

Agreed. I always wonder about the guy that follows the guy that built the program.

Reactions: Brace1
That's a depressing thought. If you think a our recruiting is sucking this year (not being even in the Top 40), just wait if Muschamp comes into a 6th season after another so-so season. You haven't seen anything yet.
I agree. I was only stating my opinion. I don’t think any coach gets fired this season, and I’d bet everything I have that Muschamp is not gonna drag up and quit. After next season, we’ll likely be on the hunt for a new coach. Napier or Heupel should be given an interview then.

I agree. I was only stating my opinion. I don’t think any coach gets fired this season, and I’d bet everything I have that Muschamp is not gonna drag up and quit. After next season, we’ll likely be on the hunt for a new coach. Napier or Heupel should be given an interview then.
I understand. It's just a depressing thought. A new coach coming in will only get leftover recruits. That will give us back-to back-to back very lackluster recruiting classes. Our football program will then be so deep in the hole in the SEC, it may not be found even with oil drig equipment.

Of course, I’m hoping for the team to do great things this season. Just as I’ve hoped for the better part of my 48 years,lol..

I agree. Both Huepel and Napier would be fairly easy to buy out. Some one will be offering them jobs fairly soon. If Muschamp stinks up the joint again this year and Ray uses the COVID-19 excuse to keep him, we will once again be waiting until the Titanic hits the iceberg before changing course.

For once in our history, it would be nice if we were proactive instead of reactive.

What are you talking about? The year before Heupel took over, Scott Frost had a very good season. But, the year before that, UCF lost 7 games. And the year before that, they were winless. Heupel won 85% of his games in his first 2 seasons as a Head Coach and just walked all over a Power 5 conference school on the road. You still have concerns? If Muschamp fails this season, we'd be VERY fortunate to bring in Heupel.

Right, Scott Frost built it. Heupel took over a good situation. You give Heupel so much credit for 2 seasons but not Frost? As I said, I wouldn’t be against Heupel as our next hire right now. You seemed to miss that. We could do much worse. But he did take over a team that went undefeated. Surely you recognize the team was already in a good situation?? As I said, that would be my only ONE concern...not plural as you insinuated. I’d likely have a concern for any coach coming here...more so because of who we are and the difficulty of this job. That doesn’t mean I disagree with a hire or am against a candidate.

Last edited:
Very true. His teams play with confidence and swagger. Like we used to.

Reactions: Bear_Rooster
Scott Frost "built" UCF in just 2 seasons? By the way, Heupel's recruiting in the past two years has finished number one and two in his conference.

Yes, he did. They were 0-12 the year before he got there, and his first year they were 6-7, his second year they were 13-0. I consider that "building".

Heupel took over a 13-0 team, and went 12-1, then 10-3. You can't expect an undefeated year every year, but I'm not sure Heupel is a homerun based on taking over a team on a roll.

He could be a great hire, just not sold on him being a cant miss yet. (Although I agree teams will be lined up for him.)

Reactions: Carolina4
But he hasn't lost a step yet. Usually, if a coach that takes over a good situation starts to flounder, it's around Year 3. If he continues winning this year, I think it's safe to say he's a winner.

And I never said he has. Only wonder if he can re-build a program because our program is going to need to be re-built. Is it worth a shot? I’m not against it.

But he hasn't lost a step yet. Usually, if a coach that takes over a good situation starts to flounder, it's around Year 3. If he continues winning this year, I think it's safe to say he's a winner.
I agree with that. I believe the point that is being missed about Heupel, is what was mentioned above: he not only has won in his 2+ years , he has also recruited very well against similar programs, finishing number 1 and 2 in recruiting in his conference. That tells me that he can SUSTAIN a program. And he certainly seems to be able to do "game day coaching" VERY well as he is 3-2 against Power 5 conference schools losing by only one point to one and by only 8 points to LSU. He looks like the real deal to me. I'm not sure what's not to like about him.

I agree with that. I believe the point that is being missed about Heupel, is what was mentioned above: he not only has won in his 2+ years , he has also recruited very well against similar programs, finishing number 1 and 2 in recruiting in his conference. That tells me that he can SUSTAIN a program. And he certainly seems to be able to do "game day coaching" VERY well as he is 3-2 against Power 5 conference schools losing by only one point to one and by only 8 points to LSU. He looks like the real deal to me. I'm not sure what's not to like about him.
Spot on. Heupel, to me, looks like a young Steve Spurrier. Coincidentally, Heupel is 42 years-old, the age that Spurrier was when he began his college Head Coaching career at Duke.

If....IF....Muschamp screws up again, I hope that USC will cut its losses and send Muschamp packing. Maybe it's just wishful thinking but I seem to recall reading about Caslen inquiring about FSU cutting loose from the disastrous 2-year Willie Taggert era. In the meantime, I'm pulling for Muschamp. I like him personally. But if he loses to Tennessee next week, there's going to be a lot of smoke around the Horseshoe.

If....IF....Muschamp screws up again, I hope that USC will cut its losses and send Muschamp packing. Maybe it's just wishful thinking but I seem to recall reading about Caslen inquiring about FSU cutting loose from the disastrous 2-year Willie Taggert era. In the meantime, I'm pulling for Muschamp. I like him personally. But if he loses to Tennessee next week, there's going to be a lot of smoke around the Horseshoe.

much has been discussed about his buyout and financial issues at SC. I think our best hope if we suck is Muschamp does what’s right and just resign. That ain’t going to happen, so that tells you how little confidence I have in our admin that we’d make a change this year. Incredibly, all signs point to Muschamp getting a 6th year here which is extremely hard to comprehend. I’ll never pull against us, but 5-5 or 4-6 would be awful for us. Bad year and we’d keep him. If we are going to lose it would take 1-9 or 2-8 to get the chatter moving from the guys who make decisions. Maybe some big donors will step up to pay the buyout. The guy has more lives than cats.

like you, I’d love nothing more than to see him win. But at this point we know who he is, right? I just can’t see it turning around. I’d GLADLY admit I’m wrong if he could though.

Reactions: Legendary Cock
Scott Frost "built" UCF in just 2 seasons? By the way, Heupel's recruiting in the past two years has finished number one and two in his conference.

UCF goes thru hot and cold spells . I wouldn’t say Frost Built UCF . If you can remember a few years back they were a top 10 team with Blake Bortles and Breshard Perriman . We gave them one of their only losses that year and it was a dog fight . Frost definitely did get them back on track in a big way . UCF is a potential powerhouse waiting to happen . Their enrollment is higher than FSU , UF or Miami and the campus is unreal . They are already beating out the big 3 Florida schools for instate recruits . Don’t be surprised if in the next ten years they don’t overtake FSU as a recruiting hot spot . Heupel is doing a hell of a job

RollLaugh Unfortunately, you are probably right.
Well 🤷🏾‍♂️🤔
LargeFrighteningAsp-size_restricted.gif

Why would there be? Tennessee is currently ranked 15. Muschamp just needs to not get blown out. But a straight up loss doesn't change his current status in any way in my opinion.

Why would there be? Tennessee is currently ranked 15. Muschamp just needs to not get blown out. But a straight up loss doesn't change his current status in any way in my opinion.
I disagree. This is Pruitt's 3rd season. This is Muschamp's 5th season and we are at home. A loss would be a severe blow to Muschamp.

I think in another year or two Shawn Elliott is going to be a hot commodity. Georgia State just gave Billy Napier's Ragin Cajuns all they could handle.

I'm a bit baffled by people dismissing Heupel's talents because he walked into a good situation. Granted building is more difficult, but there is nothing easy about maintaining a high standard, especially in NCAA CFB. Some can and many as we've all seen before can not. There are too many examples to mention.
If Heupel becomes available he should certainly be given much consideration IMHO.

I'm a bit baffled by people dismissing Heupel's talents because he walked into a good situation. Granted building is more difficult, but there is nothing easy about maintaining a high standard, especially in NCAA CFB. Some can and many as we've all seen before can not. There are too many examples to mention.
If Heupel becomes available he should certainly be given much consideration IMHO.

I don’t know if you mean me but I haven’t seen anyone really dismiss his talents. I think that’s how it’s being taken, but not what I and most others are inplying. I think people, I know I am, are simply saying the situation he’d walk into at SC is going to be far different than what he inherited at UCF. I could be wrong but I haven’t seen anyone say that he couldn’t get the job done here. In fact my statement was my only concern was that he inherited a good situation. I guess that’s relative as how it’s taken. With most coaches I’d have many more concerns than just one. A coach with only one concern is a very qualified candidate. No coach is going to check every box for us...and that has to do with us more than anything. In other words, if he had built UCF...I’d literally have no concerns whatsoever. Make sense?

I don’t know if you mean me but I haven’t seen anyone really dismiss his talents. I think that’s how it’s being taken, but not what I and most others are inplying. I think people, I know I am, are simply saying the situation he’d walk into at SC is going to be far different than what he inherited at UCF. I could be wrong but I haven’t seen anyone say that he couldn’t get the job done here. In fact my statement was my only concern was that he inherited a good situation. I guess that’s relative as how it’s taken. With most coaches I’d have many more concerns than just one. A coach with only one concern is a very qualified candidate. No coach is going to check every box for us...and that has to do with us more than anything. In other words, if he had built UCF...I’d literally have no concerns whatsoever. Make sense?
Wasn't singling out anyone in particular, was just going by the consensus of the posts regarding Heupel.

Reactions: Carolina4
It takes 6 years, counting a redshirt season, to have all the players in your program, players that you recruited during a FULL recruiting cycle. I'm not sure how long one needs to be at a school to say he "built" the program. There are not going to be a lot of YOUNG winning Head Coaches on the market who have been at one school for 5 or so years. If we happen to have an opening after this season, a candidate would have to: 1. shown he can take a less talented team and beat more talented teams and 2. been at or near the top of his conference in recruiting rankings. If a Head Coaching candidate meets those two criteria, hire him.

I think people, I know I am, are simply saying the situation he’d walk into at SC is going to be far different than what he inherited at UCF. I could be wrong but I haven’t seen anyone say that he couldn’t get the job done here. In fact my statement was my only concern was that he inherited a good situation. I guess that’s relative as how it’s taken. With most coaches I’d have many more concerns than just one.

This. Let me be clear, Heupel's dog is probably an upgrade from Muschamp, so it's not a matter of saying he shouldn't be a candidate.

I am simply saying that it's hard for me to consider him a homerun since he took over a team on a roll already. South Carolina doesn't need to sustain, and recruiting here will be more difficult than being the top dog of a smaller conference.

That being said, I'd still hire him over Muschamp.

Reactions: Dizzy01
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT