ADVERTISEMENT

UCF just proclaimed itself the National Champions:

Uhh, not so sure about that my man. I mean Auburn beat UGA (lost the SEC Champ game to UGA) in the regular season AND Bama, and UCF beat Auburn in the Peach Bowl!!

Just sayin' now! I mean ya never know until ya know!!

Syracuse could claim the should have been in final four instead of clemson....

Reactions: Horseshoe 04
Aw man..... C'mon UCF. I understand wanting some continued buzz about the perfect season - it's a great accomplishment - but a little stunt like this just kinda cheapens it, imo.

Reactions: bosoxcock
Aw man..... C'mon UCF. I understand wanting some continued buzz about the perfect season - it's a great accomplishment - but a little stunt like this just kinda cheapens it, imo.

I highly disagree, if we were undefeated and shut out of the playoffs and just beat the team that will have a victory over both teams in the national championship, I would claim it too. I see no downside.

Unless the committee is willing to put an undefeated G5 team into the playoff, CFB can't refute their claim, IMO. The playoff is a good idea, but executed poorly.

I don't think Ohio St should have got in last year, and don't think Alabama should have got in this year. While I'm certainly happy they whipped Clemson, let's fix the playoff and be done with this mess.

Consider this: You can argue that we were better than UGA and Mizzou the 3 years we went 11-2. But we didn't win the East any of those years. That's because we didn't get it done WHEN IT MATTERED. Same should apply to the playoff. Win your conference and prove you are the best. Committee should be picking the 4 best conference champs out off all of FBS, because they earned the title.

Completing this rant is the thought process to the makeup of the committee is a flippin' joke. Anyone with a connection to a school or conference is going to be biased - it's human nature. So eliminate the politicians, the ADs, the former coaches, and other biases. There are better ways to determine the top 4 conference champs.

Unless the committee is willing to put an undefeated G5 team into the playoff, CFB can't refute their claim, IMO. The playoff is a good idea, but executed poorly.

I don't think Ohio St should have got in last year, and don't think Alabama should have got in this year. While I'm certainly happy they whipped Clemson, let's fix the playoff and be done with this mess.

Consider this: You can argue that we were better than UGA and Mizzou the 3 years we went 11-2. But we didn't win the East any of those years. That's because we didn't get it done WHEN IT MATTERED. Same should apply to the playoff. Win your conference and prove you are the best. Committee should be picking the 4 best conference champs out off all of FBS, because they earned the title.

Completing this rant is the thought process to the makeup of the committee is a flippin' joke. Anyone with a connection to a school or conference is going to be biased - it's human nature. So eliminate the politicians, the ADs, the former coaches, and other biases. There are better ways to determine the top 4 conference champs.

I get your argument, but I totally disagree. No matter how teams are chosen, the first team leftout will always have an argument. The playoff was designed to put the 4 best teams in, and choosing 4 conference champions wouldn't always put the best teams in.

They deserved to be ranked higher. They certainly add fuel to the argument for more teams in the playoff. If winning a Power 5 conference with one loss ensures you a place in the playoff, surely running the table from a mid-major would secure you a spot in a 6 or 8 team playoff format.

This is essentially what the BCS did and to me it was a failure. It worked out great for Clemson but for us, not so much. The best teams should always be in the playoff no matter where they come from.

It wouldn't hurt my feelings to see the playoff go to 8 teams, however. If you're not one of the best 8, you could have no argument.

Schedule should be everything. What was their best win of the reg season? Memphis?

Half of Bama’s titles from way back are “claimed” by them but not necessarily a fact.
Some paper proclaimed them number 1 and they happily accepted it as the truth.

If Dabo can claim a Chic-Fil-A Bowl National Championship all those years ago, why not UCF?

Have a 16 team playoff. That'll give everybody a shot.

If smaller divisions can do it, why can't the schools with all the money?

I get your argument, but I totally disagree. No matter how teams are chosen, the first team leftout will always have an argument. The playoff was designed to put the 4 best teams in, and choosing 4 conference champions wouldn't always put the best teams in.

The problem with that is, the "best" is currently chosen by popularity contest and status, NOT what they actually accomplish. Why shouldn't the whole body of work be considered instead of who's popular in December?

The school that wants to be in the CFP can move to a power 5 conference.

BTW, doesn’t UCF have more students than USC?

They do, and I belief USF does also. Those are big schools with lots of commuter students and satellite campuses. FIU is big also.

That just proves my point - currently, unless you are part of the club, you can't play to be #1.

Just about every year there is a G5 good enough to get into the playoff. Go undefeated, win there conference, and get left out for a weak P5 champ or less. Additionally, there are countless discussions on why other conferences "aren't as good" because they have so many weak teams. To be fair...we have that issue as well.

Just be real about it. You can argue Alabama belongs because they showed it Monday night. But did they really? Who did they beat getting there? Who did Clemson beat to deserve #1 seed? The answer truly is no one really tough for either team, and they BOTH got in on popularity.

I have a feeling that next week will be a blowout, because the committee put two above average teams on one side of the bracket and the two best teams on the other.

Reactions: wentzel25
Depends on who gets to proclaim a team National Champions. Tennessee declared themselves Champions of Life. I don't think anyone acknowledged the championship though.

The problem with that is, the "best" is currently chosen by popularity contest and status, NOT what they actually accomplish. Why shouldn't the whole body of work be considered instead of who's popular in December?

I don't disagree... but the issue for UCF was their SOS. I think SOS should always be considered for all teams.

Reactions: king ward
Look, I don't want this to drag out and turn into a ball of flames, we're all Gamecock fans (except for our inbred troll cousins that invade) and we can be reasonable. All I'm saying is that the definition of the "best 4" teams needs to be evaluated and clearly defined, because right now it's the "best 4 P5" teams no matter what anyone says. Y'all have a nice day ;)

Reactions: BigTomE
The truth is UCF should of been in the playoffs and the team that got blown out didn't belong.

They should of been in over Clemson imho, now that the results are known.

Totally agree . They beat the team that beat both the squads that are playing for the national championship . If you watched the game it really wasn’t that close . That program is a sleeping giant . UCF has the highest enrollment of any school in Florida . The facilities are top notch and they recruit very well . If you guys remember a few years ago we went down there with one of our better squads and they fought us tooth and nail . Blake Bortles torched us that day . We were very lucky to sneak out with a win . I think UCF could play with anybody this year . Would they beat Bama or UGA ... probably not but I think they would give them hell .

I don't disagree... but the issue for UCF was their SOS. I think SOS should always be considered for all teams.
They need to see if they can find a Power Five spot. This is the second time in recent times they have fielded a team that can play with anybody. That program needs a new home.

The truth is UCF should of been in the playoffs and the team that got blown out didn't belong.

They should of been in over Clemson imho, now that the results are known.
But the sad fact is, if UCF had made the playoffs, they would have bumped Alabama out and probably lost to Clemson in game 1..

Since they won the mighty American Athletic Conference with wins over powerhouses like ECU, UCONN,Cin, Temple, and SMU whose combined records were 24-38, it is clear they should have been in the national championship playoffs..............for the FCS maybe.

As I recall the year they beat Baylor their only loss was to us. But we dropped in the polls after winning. Maybe they will be viewed more favorably going forward.

UCF or USF will never be in a P5 conference, they just do not have the tradition of playing at that level. With Miami, FSU, and Florida all in P5 conferences, those 3 schools would never let UCF or USF in their current conferences.

So how do you make sure that the best teams are included in the playoffs? Go to a 8-team playoffs with the top 4 seeds playing at home during the first round. in Dec. All P5 conferences get in, plus the best G5 team gets in, then you get 2 spots for at-large bids. Plus, I am not in favor of Notre Dame of getting a spot in the playoffs if they reach X wins, make them join a conference. The losers of the first round would then be placed in bowl games

Reactions: NCGamcockFan2167

Plenty of teams in lesser conferences get poor rankings for having easy out of conference schedules. While conference games are out of their control, it is up to UCF to schedule some tougher OOC games. All they had to do was schedule a Oklahoma or Ohio St game and they probably would have been in but they didn't. Instead they picked 2 of the easiest OOC teams in the ACC and BIG10.

Look, I don't want this to drag out and turn into a ball of flames, we're all Gamecock fans (except for our inbred troll cousins that invade) and we can be reasonable. All I'm saying is that the definition of the "best 4" teams needs to be evaluated and clearly defined, because right now it's the "best 4 P5" teams no matter what anyone says. Y'all have a nice day ;)

I would agree and tweek your statement and say "it is the best tv matchup amongst P5"... To prove my point... Bama (whom was #4) was favored over #1 Clemson; and now favored over Georgia? If Bama is indeed favored in both games .. then shouldn't they be #1? Why was Bama #4.. because people (tv markets) wanted to see Bama Vs Clemson 3.0
Come 'on ... Plus the committee was banking on a OK vs BAMA Title game (VS all SEC)

My personal take would be have a 6 team playoff and allow UCF to get in!
Glad to hear the "SEC" Chant at the end of the Bama tho.. that was fun to hear again!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT