ADVERTISEMENT

UGA Match-up: Improvements from Coastal and Georgia Game Plan

M

Matt OBrien

Happy Thursday everyone! As a former player and current fan, Georgia week remains one of my favorite weeks in the South Carolina season. There is always an abundance of talent on the field, tough competition between players and coaches, and an electric atmosphere brought to life by two of the top fan bases in the country. This year, I expect this to be one of the best match-ups SC has had with Georgia in a few years; mainly due to more balanced starting lineups in terms of talent, as well as the game being played in Williams-Brice.

First, I'd like to touch on two main areas South Carolina could have looked better in against Coastal Carolina, and how they'll look to fix those areas against Georgia.

1. Stopping the run: First, let me say that Coastal certainly didn't gash the Gamecocks nor did they consistently drive down the defense's throats. However, against a Coastal O-Line that was one of the youngest, smallest, and least talented units the team will face all year, I didn't see the SC defensive line stop completely shut down their run game.

Schematically, the SC defense was not truly trying to stop the run, as I believe the game plan was to invite them to run and limit any explosive plays with their receiver, Malcolm Williams. Allow them to get a few yards here or there, stop them on third down, and deny their advances in the red zone -- that seemed to be the SC plan, and it worked well.

Against, Georgia SC will need to shut down the run, as we all know it's what makes the Georgia offense click. To do this, the Gamecocks will need to have more size playing lined up across from Georgia's offensive tackles and better rotation along the interior to keep fresh legs throughout the game. Bigger defensive ends would stop the UGA offensive tackles from getting the push needed to spring their backs from big runs, as well as limit how quickly their offensive line can get to our linebackers on the second level. We don't quite have the depth to rotate four guys in and out to match their mauling style of play, so I would opt to have five players along the front for most of the game. My ideal starting lineup along the front for this game would be DJ Wonnum, Javon Kinlaw, Kobe Smith, Keir Thomas, and Daniel Fennell. My inside LBs would be TJ Brunson and BAW.

2. Snapping the ball to the QB: Seems like a nit picky critique from a 30+ point win, but the inaccurate and slow snaps will need to be corrected for Jake Bentley to keep rhythm against a Georgia team that likes to wreak havoc in the backfield. The snaps affect timing with running backs on hand-offs, make Jake take his eyes off of the defensive post-snap movement for a split second more than it should, and add just one more thing that Jake has to think about before each snap -- not to mention, could potentially lead to fumbled snaps and turnovers. This game has no margin of error, so I'm sure Coach Wolf made sure our snaps are in peak shape heading into this game.
---
Now, I'll talk just briefly about what I believe each team will do to win, share my key players to watch and my pick for the game.

Georgia’s Offensive plan: We all know Georgia is going to run the ball, but I expect them to come out passing a bit more in this match-up. The Bulldogs have some quality talent at receiver and tight end, and their quarterback is out to prove he can make all of the throws. Look for quick hitches if the SC corners are playing off the ball, as well as tight end seam routes. Georgia doesn’t do anything exotic. They simply believe they have better players who can execute better than the defense can.

How SC can counter this: This works more into our favor than the Bulldogs may realize. While I wouldn’t say the Gamecocks have an athletic advantage over the Bulldogs, the lack of route diversity leaves the UGA receivers predictable. Because of this, I expect SC to have a few interception opportunities; particularly if UGA tries to get cute and run any hitch-and-go’s or a surplus of vertical routes. Stop Georgia on first down and the SC defense will be in good position.

Georgia’s Defensive plan: I believe Georgia is going to try to force Jake Bentley to throw the ball. To do this, they’ll load up the box as much as possible and send in blitzes early and often. Though I do not agree with this approach, I expect the UGA defense to play man to man across the board on the SC receivers. The goal will be to create pressure on Bentley so often that he will mentally prepare to get rid of the ball early, and thus, not properly check his reads pre-and-post snap. This will lead to poor or misguided throws and increase the probability of interceptions.

How SC can counter this: While I do expect the above to be Georgia’s plan, I do not agree with it at all. I believe they will sorely lack respect for the receivers other than Deebo, which will allow for plenty of favorable match-ups in the passing game for SC. Since I expect constant pressure early from the Bulldogs, the Gamecocks would be wise to counter with quick slants, crossing routes from the slot, and flat routes from the running back out of the backfield. This will help keep Bentley upright and allow for the Gamecock receivers and backs to do their magic after the catch. Bentley will be tested, but I expect him to step up to the challenge and put on a good performance.

Key Players:

Offense: Jake Bentley. This is Jake’s match-up and he’ll have to stay composed and consistent throughout the game for SC to win. Other players could be argued for this one, but in these championship-like match-ups, I always believe the QB is the guy to get things done.

Defense: T.J. Brunson: The Georgia O-line does an outstanding job at getting to their second-level blocks. Brunson will need to be razor sharp in order to maintain leverage on these oncoming blocks, and choose the right gaps to fill. This will be one of Brunson’s toughest tests of the season.

Newcome to Watch: I chose Jaycee Horn last week and he delivered. I’m sticking with him against the Bulldogs. I expect some more perimeter offense from Georgia, so Horn will need to be equally as impressive in run support on stopping the ball carriers and keeping them contained, and in getting of the receivers’ blocks – since that’s a point of pride for the UGA offense.

Prediction:

The Gamecocks are coming in at about a 10-point underdog in this match-up. The UGA offense is talented and executes at a high level, while their defense seems to be in just as good of shape as last year, despite losing really good players. The overall talent in this game should be balanced among the starters, with the edge to UGA, but the depth chart talent is tipped favorably toward the Bulldogs.

This Georgia team reminds me a little bit of the Alabama squad we beat in 2010. They may have some different balances in personnel, but the general philosophies and strategies employed by the coaching staffs is quite similar when watching tape. The Gamecocks will need to have a had an outstanding week of practice, a sound game plan in place from the coaches, the confidence that they can win their individual match-ups, and the poise to get it done – just like we had in 2010. If this game were on the road in Athens, I would say the 10-point spread would be fair and accurate, but at home, in Williams-Brice, I’m picking the Gamecocks to come out on top.

27-23 South Carolina

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News