ADVERTISEMENT

Uh oh....

R

Reddfoxx1

EeoA4GDVoAAZi7Q

UCONN has announced they have canceled football for the 2020 season. Think they are the first FBS school to do that. (could be wrong)

Frustrating....
I wish we knew what was really going on.
All these players testing positive....but are any of them getting sick?
What is the real risk to them?
So many unanswered questions.

Reactions: Brutal Rooster
UCONN has announced they have canceled football for the 2020 season. Think they are the first FBS school to do that. (could be wrong)
From what I understand in regards to UConn is that they are an Independent and scheduling games was becoming difficult because of all the conferences just playing in conference games. Plus add the fact they were already in a whole financially...I look for them to do away with their football program all together.

Frustrating....

Come on do you not know this by now?? Its not just about them getting sick, its about them being carriers of the virus and spreading it to others.

We all should know this by now.

From what I understand in regards to UConn is that they are an Independent and scheduling games was becoming difficult because of all the conferences just playing in conference games. Plus add the fact they were already in a whole financially...I look for them to do away with their football program all together.

Seems like form these quotes it was a decision thinking of the best interest of public health.

"The necessary measures needed to mitigate risk of football student-athletes contracting the coronavirus are not conducive to delivering an optimal experience for our team," Benedict said. "Ultimately, the student-athletes would rather preserve their year of eligibility with an eye to competing under more typical circumstances during the 2021 season."

Head football coach Randy Edsall concurred. "We engaged and listened to the concerns of our football student-athletes and feel this is the best decision for their health, safety, and well-being," Edsall said. "Our team is united in this approach and we will use this time to further player development within the program and gear ourselves to the 2021 season."

https://uconnhuskies.com/news/2020/...on-due-to-risks-associated-with-covid-19.aspx

Come on do you not know this by now?? Its not just about them getting sick, its about them being carriers of the virus and spreading it to others.

True...we can all talk about this until we a blue in the face. The fact remains none of this crap is going away until there is a vaccine. There's not enough social distancing in the world to make this go away.

Frustrating....
I think a lot of new concern is coming from the studies where even asymptotic people are seeing undisclosed heart issues lingering after the fact and not knowing what the long term impact could be.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2

No need for the condescension. No one knows at this time what additional risks might be to the players...beyond being college students, etc. And no one seems to know where these players got the CV. Was it at a party?

I think a lot of new concern is coming from the studies where even asymptotic people are seeing undisclosed heart issues lingering after the fact and not knowing what the long term impact could be.
And young children as well. So many unknowns.

If you a scholarship player and haven’t graduated by the middle of your 5th year then your scholarship should end. They are doing things to help the current players but, unless they allow larger rosters, it will hurt graduating high school players.

The vast majority of whom themselves will then not get sick either. And so on and so on and scoobie doobie doobie.

Reactions: Expro19
Yeah Notre Dame has the same- oh wait ACC bailed them out to allow them to continue to screw up college FB. Almost forgot...

Reactions: BigTomE and Expro19
Yeah, those in the study were people (median age of 49) with a recent recovery from severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 infection. Young people just aren't getting severe acute cases anymore than they are dying. Both results are extremely rare for the young.
Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome coronavirus 2 is the name, not the type of infection. This is the SARS-2 Coronavirus, which, when contracted causes Corona Virus Disease 19 (COVID-19)

Reactions: Flameout12
Yeah, those in the study were people (median age of 49) with a recent recovery from severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 infection. Young people just aren't getting severe acute cases anymore than they are dying. Both results are extremely rare for the young.
The study doesn’t specify anything about the severity other than 2/3 simply recovered at home nor does it give the range to get to the median of 49. That simply means if there were 100 people then half the group was under that age and half were above.

The premise remains the same that regardless of the severity of symptoms and age groups there are questions about long term effect.

True...we can all talk about this until we a blue in the face. The fact remains none of this crap is going away until there is a vaccine. There's not enough social distancing in the world to make this go away.
And what makes you think people will line up to get the vaccine? On a normal year, its like 35% get the flu vaccine. And I think the numbers may be less for this one.

And what makes you think people will line up to get the vaccine? On a normal year, its like 35% get the flu vaccine. And I think the numbers may be less for this one.
Of that 35% is nearly 100% of the vunerable... which is all that matters.

Just some facts I have been able to collect over the course of this insanity;

If you are under the age of 59, the fatality rate if infected is 0.6%, this is lower than SARS (CoViD-1) in 2003.

0.03% of all CoViD fatalities in the US were people NOT living in Assisted Living Facilities (Nursing Homes).

1.5% of the entire American population have tested positive for CoViD-2 at some point.

0.7% of the entire American population are assessed to currently be infected with CoViD-2.

Of the US population not living in NY or NJ, 0.03% have died from CoViD-2.

FL, GA, TX & AZ (states lambasted for fighting lockdowns and face masks) have 22,667 combined fatalities. NY & NJ have 32,798 combined fatalities. (Note: FL, GA, TX & AZ combined have 4 times the population of NY & NJ.)

Of the 10 states with the most CoViD-2 fatalities, eight of the states have mask mandates.

If NY & NJ together were their own country, their ranking in the world for fatalities/1,000,000 citizens would be first.

Hawaii (an island, who has stopped all non-essential travel to the mainland) has had mask mandates since mid-April. They are experiencing their third spike in CoViD-2 cases.

The Philippines (also an island), which has the second highest population percentage willingly complying with mask mandates (91%), is heading into a second lockdown.

Total fatalities in SC in the first six months of 2020 compared to the first six months of 2019 was an increase of a little over 3%

Total fatalities in SC in the first six months of 2018 (one of the worst Flu season on records) compared to the first six months of 2017 was an increase of 5% (but no lockdown or masks in 2018).

Total fatalities in SC in the first six months of 2020, with the exception of the month of February, every month has been either below or marginally above respective monthly total fatalities comparing the last five years.

People can feel free to look these up, criticize, disregard or promote these stats as they see fit. I will let everyone make their own assessments as to what they mean.

If you are under the age of 59, the fatality rate if infected is 0.6%, this is lower than SARS (CoViD-1) in 2003.

0.03% of all CoViD fatalities in the US were people NOT living in Assisted Living Facilities (Nursing Homes).

People can feel free to look these up, criticize, disregard or promote these stats as they see fit. I will let everyone make their own assessments as to what they mean.
Not fact checking all of it, but this seemed odd to me... The number is closer to 60% (on July 30) than 0.03%. I'd be interested in seeing your source for that one.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/us/coronavirus-nursing-homes.html

That’s not the Governments problem...they’ll say there’s a vaccine so life will go on as usual. In 2019 45% of the population got the flu shot.

... nor does it give the range to get to the median of 49. That simply means if there were 100 people then half the group was under that age and half were above.

You really think that with a median age of 49 and only 100 people in the study that there could be more than a handful age 24 or younger? Depriving large numbers of players from playing football based on a handful or near that seems unscientific to me. Study it more, sure. That is all the study said to do. Don't make decisions based on such a small study.

Not fact checking all of it, but this seemed odd to me... The number is closer to 60% (on July 30) than 0.03%. I'd be interested in seeing your source for that one.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/us/coronavirus-nursing-homes.html
Yeah I could tell that one was just flat wrong without doing any research at all.. if we check the real numbers-
https://data.cdc.gov/NCHS/Provisional-COVID-19-Death-Counts-by-Sex-Age-and-S/9bhg-hcku

we see here that- let’s assume that maybe half of the 64-75 age group were in nursing homes, that puts the total deaths of people likely not living in a nursing homes at around 30-40,000 or so.. IOW, more like 20-30% were not in nursing homes (or not of an age where they would be anticipated to have been in one to be more accurate I guess) I assume he did not move the decimal over after dividing when converting from a decimal representation to a percentage. That is about as much as I am willing to crunch but when one of the very first data points if off by THAT much it makes me question every other one as well.

regardless of the accuracy- or lack there of- of the claims he made... None of those stats matter in the end. People want to compare this to past diseases and claim it is no more dangerous... BS:

compare it to the flu? We have had death totals ranging between about 12,000 to 61,000 from the flu... Only during the past 10 years deaths have rarely exceeded 30,000... this is total for a full flu season on average.

SARS I believe is estimated to have infected over 60 million in the US alone and “only” Killed 12,000...

Covid thus far- in the midst of the pandemic still RAGING with no signs of an end coming... Has already killed Over 160,000 in the US ALONE. No statistical analysis is needed to see this thing is way worse than those pandemics. Obviously over years and years the flu has killed more... but again we are still in the midst of this pandemic with no end in sight and no guarantee this thing ever will go away. They still do not know if it will recur every year like the flu does as a different strain...

In the end cherry picking data to make a disease that is killing hundreds of thousands of people to make it seem less dangerous than it is is irresponsible and dangerous. Why do so many people try to do this? Is it... Just to justify you unwillingness to wear a mask every now and then!?! I was and am against shutting down the entire world over this thing... but I think we have seen enough to know that those of us who thought this was no big deal initially were mistaken.

Yeah I could tell that one was just flat wrong without doing any research at all.. if we check the real numbers-
https://data.cdc.gov/NCHS/Provisional-COVID-19-Death-Counts-by-Sex-Age-and-S/9bhg-hcku

we see here that- let’s assume that maybe half of the 64-75 age group were in nursing homes, that puts the total deaths of people likely not living in a nursing homes at around 30-40,000 or so.. IOW, more like 20-30% were not in nursing homes (or not of an age where they would be anticipated to have been in one to be more accurate I guess) I assume he did not move the decimal over after dividing when converting from a decimal representation to a percentage. That is about as much as I am willing to crunch but when one of the very first data points if off by THAT much it makes me question every other one as well.

regardless of the accuracy- or lack there of- of the claims he made... None of those stats matter in the end. People want to compare this to past diseases and claim it is no more dangerous... BS:

compare it to the flu? We have had death totals ranging between about 12,000 to 61,000 from the flu... Only during the past 10 years deaths have rarely exceeded 30,000... this is total for a full flu season on average.

SARS I believe is estimated to have infected over 60 million in the US alone and “only” Killed 12,000...

Covid thus far- in the midst of the pandemic still RAGING with no signs of an end coming... Has already killed Over 160,000 in the US ALONE. No statistical analysis is needed to see this thing is way worse than those pandemics. Obviously over years and years the flu has killed more... but again we are still in the midst of this pandemic with no end in sight and no guarantee this thing ever will go away. They still do not know if it will recur every year like the flu does as a different strain...

In the end cherry picking data to make a disease that is killing hundreds of thousands of people to make it seem less dangerous than it is is irresponsible and dangerous. Why do so many people try to do this? Is it... Just to justify you unwillingness to wear a mask every now and then!?! I was and am against shutting down the entire world over this thing... but I think we have seen enough to know that those of us who thought this was no big deal initially were mistaken.
I believe that the good news is that this is comparable to H1N1. That was a devastating pandemic flu in the early 1900s. Later, it was no more than a "serious" flu that, while moderately more dangerous than a normal flu season, was not some horrible killer. So this, once it passes will likely become just another bug. But that will take time.

Reactions: Dizzy01
Although many have died they are juicing the numbers using the virus as a reason for the death. Die in a motorcycle crash etc...covid. Hospitals get $$ that's why they cook the books. All this will go away in the first week of Nov.

Although many have died they are juicing the numbers using the virus as a reason for the death. Die in a motorcycle crash etc...covid. Hospitals get $$ that's why they cook the books. All this will go away in the first week of Nov.
Riiiigggghhhttt... Keep telling yourself that.

srcusWH.gif

Dammit! I was hoping 1 day we could avenge the Papa Johns Bowl loss! UCONN was in a huge hole already.

What about Brigham Young? Did they ever join a conference?

Riiiigggghhhttt... Keep telling yourself that.
I listen to the Dr not the liberal news stations. The news never speaks of the millions who survived the virus just the deaths and the survivors greatly out number deaths. Never hear anything about the flu cases it all Covid now it's all a fear campaign to hurt Trump and help crazy Joe. Spit out the Kool-Aid and read the facts.

UPDATE: Interesting information based on US mortality stats released by CDC on Wednesday;

If you are under the age of 24, the statistical likelihood you will die of CoViD is 0.0003% (Hmm, aren't most HS/College athletes under the age of 24?)
If you are between 25-54, the statistical likelihood you will die of CoViD is 0.0080%
If you are between 55-64, the statistical likelihood you will die of CoViD is 0.0417%
If you are between 65-74, the statistical likelihood you will die of CoViD is 0.0949%
If you are between 75-84, the statistical likelihood you will die of CoViD is 0.1977%
If you are 85 or older, the statistical likelihood you will die of CoViD is 0.6936%

If there is good news in the CDC's release, between 02/01/2020 – 08/01/2020 there were 6,592 Influenza deaths in the US. Conversely, according to the CDC, between 02/02/2019 – 07/27/2019 there were 27,151 Influenza deaths in the US. Also, between 02/01/2018 – 08/01/2018 there were 29,148 Influenza/Pneumonia deaths in the US. (How cool is that, Influenza death totals are ¼ what they normally are.)

Source: https://data.cdc.gov/NCHS/Provisional-COVID-19-Death-Counts-by-Sex-Age-and-S/9bhg-hcku/data

Reactions: kidrobinski

1.5% of the entire American population have tested positive for CoViD-2 at some point.

0.7% of the entire American population are assessed to currently be infected with CoViD-2.

Of the US population not living in NY or NJ, 0.03% have died from CoViD-2.

FL, GA, TX & AZ (states lambasted for fighting lockdowns and face masks) have 22,667 combined fatalities. NY & NJ have 32,798 combined fatalities. (Note: FL, GA, TX & AZ combined have 4 times the population of NY & NJ.)

Of the 10 states with the most CoViD-2 fatalities, eight of the states have mask mandates.

If NY & NJ together were their own country, their ranking in the world for fatalities/1,000,000 citizens would be first.

Hawaii (an island, who has stopped all non-essential travel to the mainland) has had mask mandates since mid-April. They are experiencing their third spike in CoViD-2 cases.

The Philippines (also an island), which has the second highest population percentage willingly complying with mask mandates (91%), is heading into a second lockdown.

Total fatalities in SC in the first six months of 2020 compared to the first six months of 2019 was an increase of a little over 3%

Total fatalities in SC in the first six months of 2018 (one of the worst Flu season on records) compared to the first six months of 2017 was an increase of 5% (but no lockdown or masks in 2018).

Total fatalities in SC in the first six months of 2020, with the exception of the month of February, every month has been either below or marginally above respective monthly total fatalities comparing the last five years.

Just to give you a heads up, NY and NJ so far are responsible for 48,785. NY by itself has the 32k tag. Those 2 are responsible for 30% of the deaths so far. GA, FL, TX and AZ are about 24k combined.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT