ADVERTISEMENT

UNC cancelling in person classes

pharmacock

Jan 2, 2004
Just saw a “breaking news”headline that UNC is cancelling all in person classes effective immediately! Wonder what this does to the football schedule?

Remember, this is the school that held phantom classes to keep players eligible - whatever will be done - will be done for the benefit of old Roy and Mack.

There’s not going to be a college doing in-person classes by the end of September. The question then becomes: do you keep the players on campus and allow them to play? In reality, the only way a season happens is if there are no students on campus besides the football and basketball players.

Is it worth it to do so? You still have to have staff around to maintain the places where they’ll be living, eating, etc.

There’s not going to be a college doing in-person classes by the end of September. The question then becomes: do you keep the players on campus and allow them to play? In reality, the only way a season happens is if there are no students on campus besides the football and basketball players.

Is it worth it to do so? You still have to have staff around to maintain the places where they’ll be living, eating, etc.
The answer is of course not.
But all those checks are non refundable and government backed.
Cha Ching

My feeling is that the Power-Five people will make out very well if they play a televised schedule and reap the rewards therefrom. That is aside from the philosophical question of whether to play or not. Financially they will do OK.

The answer is of course not.
But all those checks are non refundable and government backed.
Cha Ching
I have friend in Admin at Wake and he was telling me about tuition insurance. He said that the number of parents buying it this year almost tripled

At what point does testing positive and being asymptomatic mean go on as if you had the flu. I guess that won’t happen till after November. The numbers on this thing were way off and are getting better by the day. Let it run its course. I’m so tired of this shit.

I have friend in Admin at Wake and he was telling me about tuition insurance. He said that the number of parents buying it this year almost tripled
Tuition insurance?
What?

so many things about the world I’m oblivious to.
That $$$ is guaranteed to the colleges though.

Tuition insurance?
What?

so many things about the world I’m oblivious to.
That $$$ is guaranteed to the colleges though.
No, it goes to the person taking it out. The insurance is issued through third parties not the university. There are restrictions, get kicked out for disciplinary reasons etc

Not surprised.The United States clearly does not have a handle on coronavirus-19, with now 173,618 deaths, far and away, the worst in the world.

Could be; could be not. It's not as if everything published is indisputable.
Even if the numbers are off. by 25%, that's still a lot of people that have been lost. At some point, there has to be a number that is more than the public can accept. The first wave I am willing to forgive. However, this second wave didn't have to happen. We all have been selfish. Progressives had no business out there in May and June with all the protests. Conservatives have been too eager to get back to normal for fear that Conservative politicians will be blamed. We all have fallen short. Hopefully, the light will come on for everyone at some point and we can listen to the experts for better or worse. If they are wrong, we can blame them.

Even if the numbers are off. by 25%, that's still a lot of people that have been lost. At some point, there has to be a number that is more than the public can accept. The first wave I am willing to forgive. However, this second wave didn't have to happen. We all have been selfish. Progressives had no business out there in May and June with all the protests. Conservatives have been too eager to get back to normal for fear that Conservative politicians will be blamed. We all have fallen short. Hopefully, the light will come on for everyone at some point and we can listen to the experts for better or worse. If they are wrong, we can blame them.
It's not only our numbers that are not indisputable - and it's not necessarily our numbers that are the least indisputable. But I'm having a boffo life. And I have lived it and will live it to the fullest for as long as I can. That's optimism, not selfishness.

Reactions: paladin181
It's not only our numbers that are not indisputable - and it's not necessarily our numbers that are the least indisputable. But I'm having a boffo life. And I have lived it and will live it to the fullest for as long as I can. That's optimism, not selfishness.
It is selfish because you are making it all about you. Let's say that you have had the virus and was asymptomatic. Let's say they could trace someone getting sick and dying back to you. Would you be cool with that? I know I wouldn't be. So, I am treating this thing like a cancer diagnosis almost. Whatever, the doctors say I do until they tell us we are in the clear.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
It is selfish because you are making it all about you. Let's say that you have had the virus and was asymptomatic. Let's say they could trace someone getting sick and dying back to you. Would you be cool with that? I know I wouldn't be. So, I am treating this thing like a cancer diagnosis almost. Whatever, the doctors say I do until they tell us we are in the clear.
I'm sorry not to be able to bring comfort to your troubled soul.

It's as if the general public has just become aware of how viruses work. Being "out and about" is not selfish. I would venture a guess that a majority of cases are passed because folks feel invincible in their paper masks and dirty gloves. Basic hygiene folks.

Reactions: Cocky4SC
I refer the gentleman to the response I gave some moments ago.
I understand. I'm just going by the data available. Alan Greenspan TODAY referred to "the failure of the U.S. to effectively deal with the onset of the Covid-19 crisis". All I'm saying is that, as a result, what's happening at UNC is not a surprise. Consequently,I suspect that UNC will not become an isolated case.

I just bought a renters policy for my college student. I’m considering buying tuition insurance.

Just do like the obama administration did with the swine flu..stop counting and life goes on

a 3rd wave is likely coming.

I understand. I'm just going by the data available. Alan Greenspan TODAY referred to "the failure of the U.S. to effectively deal with the onset of the Covid-19 crisis". All I'm saying is that, as a result, what's happening at UNC is not a surprise. Consequently,I suspect that UNC will not become an isolated case.
Nor would I, but not necessarily for the same reasons as you and Mr. Greenspan. God bless.

Unsafe to sit in a classroom where you can wear a mask and social distance. Safe to play a game where you may get scratched, bloodied, spit on, etc. The only thing that makes any sense about that is $$$. Thought the pristine Tar Heels were above selling out.

Yea, what did Swine flu have? 12,000 deaths in the US over the course of a year? Lots of grasping at straws when it comes to Covid not being a big deal.

Very sadly, a coworker of mine (what I would call a bit of a COVID denier) told me today a dear man at his church died of COVID over the weekend.

when something hits close to home, it has a way of changing your mind.

I know because we can't adjust our lifestyles a little bit. Conservatives always talk about the talk of Covid will end once Trump wins in November. My question would be if Trump wins, would we deal with it then?

I am not sure a lot of people think Covid will end. I think the constant hyping of it will abate regardless. If Biden wins, itll be all Rose's and sunshine news cycles. If Trump wins, theres no election to try to influence anymore. Theyll still try to make everything about trump, but it will be lessened with no election to try to sway.

If football is played with in-seat classes cancelled, then the argument of amateurism is out of the window forever. Be careful what you wish for. One season may be the catalyst to destroy college football as we know it forever.

Very sadly, a coworker of mine (what I would call a bit of a COVID denier) told me today a dear man at his church died of COVID over the weekend.

when something hits close to home, it has a way of changing your mind.
If I am looking at examples that hit close to home, meaning that I personally know and regularly interact with the person:
- 3 friends that I work out with every week have had it. 2 say it felt like the flu with a lower fever and worse cough. One had no symptoms but had to get tested before traveling and was positive. Never developed symptoms.

- Both of my parents (mid 60s) just got over it. Said it was miserable but very similar to the flu. I haven't seen my folks since March because my Mom is high risk for complications. Ended up with a bad cough but fully recovered with just rest at home.

- Friend's Mother passed away a few weeks ago. Death was labeled as a result of COVID, but the family is aggressively fighting that as her health was deteriorating way before the pandemic and they can't recall a test ever being administered.

So I'm not saying it isn't real. I just think there's a ton of media hype around every single positive case, and I can only think of one reason why.

I have a son that about to start at UNCC. He will be living on campus, currently classes is 50/50 online/in person. If they go to 100% online will there be a purpose to stay on campus? Will we get refund for house/food that we already paid for?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT