ADVERTISEMENT

UNC.......Question?

tngamecock#

Sep 10, 2000
I'm driving along in Spartanburg tonight flipping radio stations. I hear the Roy Williams show which of course is talking UNC Basketball. My first thought is, it's hard to find a Gamecock game of any kind on the radio these days in the upstate, but look how clear this UNC crap comes in. This stinks.

The host of the show sounded like Woody Durham, so assumed that was him. Now the kicker.......
The host says, "UNC player Luke Maye won the ACC/League Scholar Athlete of the year today and that makes 5 of the last 8 years a Tarheel has won that award."

Question: Does using the term "UNC player and Scholar" in the same sentence equate to an oxymoron?

I'm driving along in Spartanburg tonight flipping radio stations. I hear the Roy Williams show which of course is talking UNC Basketball. My first thought is, it's hard to find a Gamecock game of any kind on the radio these days in the upstate, but look how clear this UNC crap comes in. This stinks.

The host of the show sounded like Woody Durham, so assumed that was him. Now the kicker.......
The host says, "UNC player Luke Maye won the ACC/League Scholar Athlete of the year today and that makes 5 of the last 8 years a Tarheel has won that award."

Question: Does using the term "UNC player and Scholar" in the same sentence equate to an oxymoron?
Only if you mean UNC = UnCarolina. If you mean University of Northern Colorado, fine by me.

Only if you mean UNC = UnCarolina. If you mean University of Northern Colorado, fine by me.

I was in the Denver Airport a couple of years ago and the University of Northern Colorado had an advertisement on a large TV monitor. They (Northern Colorado) has the same colors as uncarolina.

I detest UNCheat and almost everything about them, like most folks. But Woody Durham is a class act and a legend. With his retirement and that of Bob Harris at Duke, along with the passing of Bob Fulton, Jim Philiips and Larry Munson, the great voices I grew up listening to in the South are almost all gone.

I try not to be one of those “it was better in the old days” guys because in many ways it was not. But in the area of college pbp announcers, today’s group don’t come close to the old guard. With TV and video streaming available for everything, these radio jobs don’t attract the top talent anymore.

That was their play by play guy Jones Angel. Woody Durham retired about 5 years ago and has since developed a rare disease that will ultimately cost him his ability to speak. Woody’s son Wes does a great job calling games on the acc network and is also the play by play guy for the Falcons. Sounds just like his dad.

Last year when Maye hit the jumper to beat Ky in the tourney, they made a big deal about Maye being in class the next morning. Took a picture and posted it all over social media. Going to class celebrated like no other at UNC!

I detest UNCheat and almost everything about them, like most folks. But Woody Durham is a class act and a legend. With his retirement and that of Bob Harris at Duke, along with the passing of Bob Fulton, Jim Philiips and Larry Munson, the great voices I grew up listening to in the South are almost all gone.

I try not to be one of those “it was better in the old days” guys because in many ways it was not. But in the area of college pbp announcers, today’s group don’t come close to the old guard. With TV and video streaming available for everything, these radio jobs don’t attract the top talent anymore.

This is spot on. I miss hearing those guys call games.

I see what you did there .

giphy.gif

Reactions: atl-cock
That was their play by play guy Jones Angel. Woody Durham retired about 5 years ago and has since developed a rare disease that will ultimately cost him his ability to speak. Woody’s son Wes does a great job calling games on the acc network and is also the play by play guy for the Falcons. Sounds just like his dad.

Last year when Maye hit the jumper to beat Ky in the tourney, they made a big deal about Maye being in class the next morning. Took a picture and posted it all over social media. Going to class celebrated like no other at UNC!
Wes Durham also does Ga Tech pbp for football (at least).

From one SC expat to another, well said.

I believe Wes no longer works for GT but does ACC football and basketball instead now.
Per Tech website, you are correct. Andy Demetra does pbp for mens football and hoops. Womens hoops & volleyball, and mens baseball are broadcast on WREK-FM (similar to WUSC - it's a student station, and they use student pbp announcers).

Last edited:

I agree.....my post was only about the “scholar” part.

Per Tech website, you are correct. Andy Demetra does pbp for mens football and hoops. Womens hoops & volleyball, and mens baseball are broadcast on WREK-FM (similar to WUSC - it's a student station, and they use student pbp announcers).

Correct, Andy left here two years ago.

Which makes the ones who do it well stand out even more. I guess it's a matter of how much schools value their radio broadcaster. Personally, I think it's still important. Fans will always have a desire to hear the home team call of a classic moment. Plus radio broadcasters - the good ones, at least - have the deepest knowledge of their teams. They can be a storyteller or chronicler in a way TV people can't.

We may not rely on the radio as much anymore, but the pbp guy can still add a lot between Twitter, video pieces, social media, and all the other platforms that broadcasters from 30-40 years ago never had. Heck, the fact we're still talking about it shows the bib still matters. I guess the point is, if you have a good one, hold on to him (or else he might leave for Georgia Tech, lol).

Last edited:
I can see that.

The promise of a new baseball stadium certainly helped lure Ray Tanner from Raleigh, even if it did take a dozen years to build/open it.

Nah, all that was needed was a stadium with lights (and the huge pay increase didn't hurt).

Woody died today. Like UNC or not, he was an institution, the kind of distinctive, across-all-sports Voice we used to have and ought to be trying to establish again. Also, the UNC Network is one of the largest radio networks in the country for college sports. No wonder you can always pick them up in the border areas.

Reactions: Godfather4CU
Woody died today. Like UNC or not, he was an institution, the kind of distinctive, across-all-sports Voice we used to have and ought to be trying to establish again. Also, the UNC Network is one of the largest radio networks in the country for college sports. No wonder you can always pick them up in the border areas.

Sorry to hear this. He seems to have lived a good life and was in the front row for many basketball games of consequence. RIP, Mr. Durham

Reactions: king ward
If u get the ACC tourney on the local channel and not ESPN, his son is on the call for the 2 night games, including the UNC game. Said it’s what his dad would want him to do.

The “hate the holes” is so natural for gamecocks. Dang I wish you guys were in the ACC. “Hatred” makes an exciting conference.

Reactions: atl-cock

Too many middle eastern types that never played sports or even grew up with traditional American sports.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT