ADVERTISEMENT

USC administration accepts blame for Darla Moore screw-up

So looks like University leadership finally put out a statement admitting the Darla Moore situation is true and was a huge error. I thought all you folks with the knee-jerk defense of our at times incompetent leadership and questioning if Mrs Moore's account of that happened could possibly be true would be interested in seeing it.

Also, the quote below from the article is very damning to Caslen...making it appear that he slow rolled any university response to be personally petty.

"Caslen and board chairman Dorn Smith knew about the death of USC mega-donor Darla Moore’s mother a day before the April 3 funeral but failed to share the information"

When it comes to the schools biggest donor, sh*t like this CAN NOT happen. Think this happens at Texas or OU?!?! Get it together!!!!

I'm imagining lots of this hand gesture being used by the Darla-lovers as they pronounce their shock, outrage, disgust and bewilderment

woman-slamming-fist-into-palm-closeup-of-hands-picture-id1189104346

The only thing newsworthy about this total non-event is how desperate y'all are for this to be a big deal.

So Caslen has now publicly admitted he dropped the ball on this and taken personal accountability but some are still making excuses for him. The Moore family should have heard directly from the President and the BOT....both.

I have also heard the Caslen comments quoted above but also consider what they do not say. They do not saw he and/or the board reached out to her. Where was the proactive outreach to Mrs Moore at the time? The mess of his hire is very well documented. Darla Moore was far from in the minority in her displeasure with the process. At the time there were student protests on campus, a vote of no confidence from the Faculty Senate and even our regional accreditor issued a damning report confirming the process was flawed with inappropriate political pressure.

So...with all that being the reality.....I would expect our incoming new President the BOT that oversaw the mess understand the bridge building that was in front of them. A VERY good place to start would be to outreach to the #1 donor in the history of the university.

Look...it is very obvious this is one area of a comprehensive public university where Caslen is in over his head. His experience at a military academy could have in no way prepared him for the hyper competitive landscape of big university development and fund raising the the personal relations and stewardship work this takes. He better get his act together or hire a top-notch university development executive to lead Carolina's efforts because their top donor (by far) just walked under his leadership. And don't kid yourselves, she had lots more money to give.
This is why a lot of these arguments are in bad faith on this subject.

Your real issue is the hiring of Caslen so you’re feigning concern for Darla as it gives you an opportunity to revisit the presidential hiring situation. At least you place blame on the BOT as well. I will give you credit for that.

Reactions: GarnetBeamer
When it comes to the schools biggest donor, sh*t like this CAN NOT happen. Think this happens at Texas or OU?!?! Get it together!!!!
Do you have an example of a donor at UT or OU that they placed on their BOT? Who also objected to the hiring of a school president and wanted to be named president in his or her place?

Reactions: GarnetBeamer
This is why a lot of these arguments are in bad faith on this subject.

Your real issue is the hiring of Caslen so you’re feigning concern for Darla as it gives you an opportunity to revisit the presidential hiring situation. At least you place blame on the BOT as well. I will give you credit for that.

You are wrong. Yes, i have issue with the process to hire the current President. As did many. I also had issue with the leadership of the school completely dropping the ball thus losing the #1 donor in the history of the school. As did many.

Do you have an example of a donor at UT or OU that they placed on their BOT? Who also objected to the hiring of a school president and wanted to be named president in his or her place?

What documentation are you basing your claim that Mrs Moore wanted to be President of USC on?

You are wrong. Yes, i have issue with the process to hire the current President. As did many. I also had issue with the leadership of the school completely dropping the ball thus losing the #1 donor in the history of the school. As did many.
Do you have a record of her last donation? From my quick research her last major donation was more than a decade ago.

That well may have already run dry. But the ball is back in her court to mend the relationship.

Do you have a record of her last donation? From my quick research her last major donation was more than a decade ago.

That well may have already run dry. But the ball is back in her court to mend the relationship.
The date of her last contribution doesn't change the fact she's the largest single contributor in the history of the University.

Reactions: USC2USC
The date of her last contribution doesn't change the fact she's the largest single contributor in the history of the University.
It doesn’t. But it makes a difference on her importance to the university moving forward. Which is what you and others appear to be arguing.

Bruh... she's the biggest donor to the school. Regardless of all that bs, you send a card/flowers/SOMETHING for the condolences on the loss of her mother. Period.

It doesn’t. But it makes a difference on her importance to the university moving forward. Which is what you and others appear to be arguing.

Considering her name rests on one of the largest schools at USC and its only nationally #1 ranked program, it is safe to say she is very important to the future of Carolina. Also, thanks to this incredible error by university leadership, we may never know about possible future donations from her. I mean she is worth an estimated $2.3 billion. That "well" may now be dry for USC but certainly not for others as she has a long history of philanthropic work across South Carolina.....including to our chief rival.

Considering her name rests on one of the largest schools at USC and its only nationally #1 ranked program, it is safe to say she is very important to the future of Carolina. Also, thanks to this incredible error by university leadership, we may never know about possible future donations from her. I mean she is worth an estimated $2.3 billion. That "well" may now be dry for USC but certainly not for others as she has a long history of philanthropic work across South Carolina.....including to our chief rival.
It is this simple.

You’re aware that program’s ranking predates Darla Moore’s involvement with the business school correct?

Darla: willfully chooses to refuse having a relationship with USC president.

Also Darla: throws tantrum when USC president treats her like someone he doesn’t have a relationship with.

Does this logic apply to mark Kingston and his two time national champion baseball team?
Not at all the same thing, but just for Ss and Gs, here goes.

Darla gave money to the University's Business School, partly because of its ranking. She gets to enjoy the fact her name is associated with that ranking now.

CMK came here to coach, partly because of those two trophies in our case. He gets to enjoy the use those trophies as recruiting tools, and having his name associated with 2 time National Champions. It's not like the trophies are now in Ray's office at the Rice center.

So why are you associating that with Darla?

Feels like a lot of your argument relies on half truths and assumptions.

Well actually, the university associated Darla Moore to its school of business by accepting her donations and deciding to name the entire business school after her.

AND she is the biggest donor in the history of the university.

You are implying that I credited Darla Moore personally with the #1 ranking of the school. Where did I do that?

Reactions: USCBatgirl21
Well actually, the university associated Darla Moore to its school of business by accepting her donations and deciding to name the entire business school after her.

AND she is the biggest donor in the history of the university.

You are implying that I credited Darla Moore personally with the #1 ranking of the school. Where did I do that?
That’s exactly what you did with your comment. I feel safe assuming you didn’t actually know that ranking predated her. But I can’t make you admit to anything so you’re welcome to walk back on the claims.

That’s exactly what you did with your comment. I feel safe assuming you didn’t actually know that ranking predated her. But I can’t make you admit to anything so you’re welcome to walk back on the claims.
What comment?

Not at all the same thing, but just for Ss and Gs, here goes.

Darla gave money to the University's Business School, partly because of its ranking. She gets to enjoy the fact her name is associated with that ranking now.

CMK came here to coach, partly because of those two trophies in our case. He gets to enjoy the use those trophies as recruiting tools, and having his name associated with 2 time National Champions. It's not like the trophies are now in Ray's office at the Rice center.
It is the the same thing but posts like this confirm you’re not arguing in good faith.

The other poster was arguing Darla deserves credit for the IB ranking. It was an absurd implication. The same way it would be absurd to give Kingston credit to the national championships just because he’s attached to our baseball program.

The past few days have provided some very poor arguments. The idea that Darla should have some controlling interest because of her donations being among the worst.

Darla got her name on the business school not based on merit but because she married into great wealth. The idea that she knows best for the school because she’s rich is insulting to everyone else involved in the history of the school.

It is the the same thing but posts like this confirm you’re not arguing in good faith.

The other poster was arguing Darla deserves credit for the IB ranking. It was an absurd implication. The same way it would be absurd to give Kingston credit to the national championships just because he’s attached to our baseball program.

The past few days have provided some very poor arguments. The idea that Darla should have some controlling interest because of her donations being among the worst.

Darla got her name on the business school not based on merit but because she married into great wealth. The idea that she knows best for the school because she’s rich is insulting to everyone else involved in the history of the school.
He said no such thing. He simply said her name rests on the building that houses the program. That is NOT giving her credit for the program.

You are reading things into statements that aren't there due to your extreme dislike of Darla Moore.

Reactions: rogue cock
He said no such thing. He simply said her name rests on the building that houses the program. That is NOT giving her credit for the program.

You are reading things into statements that aren't there due to your extreme dislike of Darla Moore.
So you acknowledge we don’t need another dime of her money to have the #1 ranked IB program?

So you acknowledge we don’t need another dime of her money to have the #1 ranked IB program?
No I do not. It is and will continue to be bad business on the University's part to not have fostered that relationship better, especially during the times of turmoil. Again, being the bigger person. The University is going to feel this for much longer than she ever will. There are other areas that we could have probably used additional influxes of money from her in the future. Now we're left scrambling to find someone else with deep pockets who feels benevolent.

However, perhaps you need to acknowledge that it is quite possible that we would no longer be ranked #1 or have held the ranking so long without her influx of money. It is much more likely that other schools would have received such donations, if we did not, and would have surpassed us. It's also reasonable to take into account that without continued funding at a high level, that we could very well lose the ranking. If memory serves, we'd actually lost the #1 ranking for a year or two before we got her donation. There is a possibility that we could lose it again. Maintaining programs at such a high level require ample amounts of money.

Question - We received large influxes of money in athletics from Joe Rice and Dodie Anderson (now in the hands of her family). Say things start turning bad in those relationships. Would you be fine with the University simply walking away from Joe or Dodie's family, with the attitude that "we already got your money - we don't need any more"?

Last edited:
No I do not. It is and will continue to be bad business on the University's part to not have fostered that relationship better, especially during the times of turmoil. Again, being the bigger person. The University is going to feel this for much longer than she ever will. There are other areas that we could have probably used additional influxes of money from her in the future. Now we're left scrambling to find someone else with deep pockets who feels benevolent.

However, you need to acknowledge that it is quite possible that we would no longer be ranked #1 or have held the ranking so long without her influx of money. It is much more likely that other schools would have received such donations, if we did not, and would have surpassed us. It's also reasonable to take into account that without continued funding at a high level, that we could very well lose the ranking. If memory serves, we'd actually lost the #1 ranking for a year or two before we got her donation. There is a possibility that we could lose it again. Maintaining programs at such a high level require ample amounts of money.

Question - We received large influxes of money in athletics from Joe Rice and Dodie Anderson (now in the hands of her family). Say things start turning bad in those relationships. Would you be fine with the University simply walking away from Joe or Dodie's family, with the attitude that "we already got your money - we don't need any more"?
See you’re not arguing in good faith. You’re saying you’re not saying she is responsible for the IB program success but at the same time day we can’t maintain it without her.

Those are logically incongruous. But like I said I can’t make you be rational and honest.

See you’re not arguing in good faith. You’re saying you’re not saying she is responsible for the IB program success but at the same time day we can’t maintain it without her.

Those are logically incongruous. But like I said I can’t make you be rational and honest.
I didn't say we can't maintain it without her. I said it's a possibility that we would not have, and may not in the future. To not recognize the possible damage financially that has been done in the last 10 years, and that we may suffer in the future, in not fostering the relationship, is shortsighted, and quite honestly clouded by your dislike for her.

We better start kissing another billionaire ass, just in case we need it one day.

I haven’t witnessed this much pearl-clutching since Lucy Anne wore slacks out to town.

What people are suggesting is not extreme. You treat your important donors well. Darla may be high-maintenance too. Both can be true. Is it that complicated?
If this was merely acknowledged as an unfortunate oversight by the University while at the same time acknowledgIng that this is one high maintenance broad Who had a way disproportionate response, that would’ve been one thing. but people have languished in their expressions of disbelief shock and awe for five pages of posts now. It’s all just a little over the top.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT