ADVERTISEMENT

USC administration accepts blame for Darla Moore screw-up

I took a little bit of basic psychology in college but it’s been a long time so someone will help me out with the details. I remember that people go through different stages during the grieving process. Which stage would involve a grown woman throwing a temper tantrum via a juvenile letter which she then leaked to a newspaper?

Reactions: uscwatson21
I took a little bit of basic psychology in college but it’s been a long time so someone will help me out with the details. I remember that people go through different stages during the grieving process. Which stage would involve a grown woman throwing a temper tantrum via a juvenile letter which she then leaked to a newspaper?
Are you sure she leaked it?

Darla: willfully chooses to refuse having a relationship with USC president.

Also Darla: throws tantrum when USC president treats her like someone he doesn’t have a relationship with.
You make a very compelling case here for Caslen being entirely the wrong person for this job. When Caslen took this job he did so under the guise of doing what is in the best interest of the University. You've just indicated that he may not have done so for personal reasons. In other words, he put his own personal feelings above the University he gets handsomely paid to represent. No different from a city mayor who refuses to help anyone who he feels didn't vote for him. If you don't have the maturity and character to act in the best interest of your employer, personal feelings be damned, you are ill suited to the job. Caslen has both the moral & ethical obligation to act in the best interest of this University. Darla Moore has no such obligation, she also had no obligation at all to become the largest donor in the school's history, but she did it anyway.
If your premise is correct, and this is how he leads, he should be fired yesterday before he makes another self-interested decision that hurts the school.

Last edited:
Reactions: rogue cock
I didn't say we can't maintain it without her. I said it's a possibility that we would not have, and may not in the future. To not recognize the possible damage financially that has been done in the last 10 years, and that we may suffer in the future, in not fostering the relationship, is shortsighted, and quite honestly clouded by your dislike for her.

We better start kissing another billionaire ass, just in case we need it one day.

You're just speaking out of both sides of your mouth and taking whatever position is relevant in the moment even though it contradicts other aspects of your arguments.

Your last line just shows you guys aren't thinking rationally. Her lifetime donations are less than 7% of one year's revenue. So when you factor that over 23 years, the university isn't ever going to "need it one day." Sure it's nice to have, but you guys are seriously making it sound like we can't survive without her.

You make a very compelling case here for Caslen being entirely the wrong person for this job. When Caslen took this job he did so under the guise of doing what is in the best interest of the University. You've just indicated that he may not have done so for personal reasons. In other words, he put his own personal feelings above the University he gets handsomely paid to represent. No different from a city mayor who refuses to help anyone who he feels didn't vote for him. If you don't have the maturity and character to act in the best interest of your employer, personal feelings be damned, you are ill suited to the job. Caslen has both the moral & ethical obligation to act in the best interest of this University. Darla Moore has no such obligation, she also had no obligation at all to become the largest donor in the school's history, but she did it anyway.
If your premise is correct, and this is how he leads, he should be fired yesterday before he makes another self-interested decision that hurts the school.

I'm wasting my time responding to you because you're just trolling, but this hits the nail on the head with your side's faulty logic. How are you certain what he did wasn't in the best interest of the college?

I can think of one reason....and a lot of people were against the hire, including about half of the board, even some of those whose positions were threatened.
So the people who are also "to blame" for not reaching out to Darla?

I'm wasting my time responding to you because you're just trolling, but this hits the nail on the head with your side's faulty logic. How are you certain what he did wasn't in the best interest of the college?
Well Duh. The school, and Caslen just released a statement of apology. Why would they issue an apology for acting in the best interest of the school? Seems like if the idea was to just let her ride off into the sunset as you're suggesting, they would be pleased, but no, now they're issuing apologies. Why?

COLUMBIA, S.C. (AP) — University of South Carolina leaders say it's their fault for not reaching out to Darla Moore after her 89-year-old mother died on April 1, leading the school's biggest donor to write off the university.
“I deeply regret the way our response was delayed, and I take full responsibility as a president of the university,” President Bob Caslen said Thursday.

If Caslen "deeply regrets" ,as you suggest, acting in the best interest of the school then's he's a bigger doofus than I ever imagined.

On another note, you may be the only person above grade school level that is absolutely shocked that people who provide the largest resources to a school or organization get treated better & get more perks & other favors than ordinary donors. You'd probably pass out from the vapors if you knew bigger donors in the GCC get to sit in the Champions Club, travel with team, etc. I mean by your logic, why can't all donors travel with the team since we're all important?

Last edited:
Reactions: polo-loco
Well Duh. The school, and Caslen just released a statement statement of apology. Why would they issue an aplology for acting in the best interest of the school?
OLUMBIA, S.C. (AP) — University of South Carolina leaders say it's their fault for not reaching out to Darla Moore after her 89-year-old mother died on April 1, leading the school's biggest donor to write off the university.

“I deeply regret the way our response was delayed, and I take full responsibility as a president of the university,” President Bob Caslen said Thursday.
The right decision isn't always popular and sometimes it's just better to take the high road.

....or anyone in the administration. BTW it is solely the President's responsibility to act on behalf of the University....no individual Trustee can.
You mean the individual trustees didn't go to Darla on their own to see if she was interested in becoming president?

What a cop out on your part to shift the blame to one person. Awfully convenient.

The right decision isn't always popular and sometimes it's just better to take the high road.
Well, just to wrap up your logic. Caslen intentionally ignores the largest donor in our school's history but does so because it's in the best interest of the school. Laughable, but it gets better. He then issues a statement of deep regret for acting in the school's best interest. All this while at the same time begging the State legislature for money for a Medical School building. That about it?

out

You mean the individual trustees didn't go to Darla on their own to see if she was interested in becoming president?

What a cop out on your part to shift the blame to one person. Awfully convenient.
Individually, they may or may not have. Regardless, it is not their responsibility to do so on behalf of the University. That is why they hire the President....to represent the University and to act on it's behalf. He is well paid to do just that. And to suggest otherwise is awfully convenient on your part.

He's being intentionally obtuse about the situation......

He's just looking to argue, he for some reason has some personal gripe with Darla and because he has nothing of subsistence to add to the discussion, he's going to hijack this thread like the last thread with petty bs.
I told y'all this was going to happen and like clockwork he didn't disappoint.

Considering her name rests on one of the largest schools at USC and its only nationally #1 ranked program, it is safe to say she is very important to the future of Carolina. Also, thanks to this incredible error by university leadership, we may never know about possible future donations from her. I mean she is worth an estimated $2.3 billion. That "well" may now be dry for USC but certainly not for others as she has a long history of philanthropic work across South Carolina.....including to our chief rival.

The Sport & Entertainment Management program is also top-ranked program nationally and worldwide...and I’m sure there are plenty of others around the university that are well regarded. All would have done a better job working with Ms. Moore than the current group is doing.

The Sport & Entertainment Management program is also top-ranked program nationally and worldwide...and I’m sure there are plenty of others around the university that are well regarded. All would have done a better job working with Ms. Moore than the current group is doing.
Should we just give Darla whatever she wants?

Thanks for that. I then looked at the page below on SC.edu and saw there are multiple #1 ranked programs. Great for Carolina.

We can’t win. I was just thinking about how this is the one thing Jim Holderman would have absolutely knocked out of the park. First of all, he would have rented the country club in Lake City two nights before and had the most lavish party the town had ever seen. Darla’s whole family tree would have been invited. Then his entourage of handsome USC ambassadors would line up at the wake to hug Darla and offer their condolences. Then Darla’s sympathy card would be attached to a Mercedes. The card would say, “Please accept this small token of our sympathy.” Photographers would have taken multiple pictures of Holderman at the funeral so the whole world would know that USC cared.

ADVERTISEMENT