ADVERTISEMENT

USC Baseball ...Bunting

Sometimes when you can't put the bat on the ball, it's the only way to either get on or move a runner over to scoring position.

Not a fan of the bunt....how about u?

Nothing like a drag bunt. …..from a master…

Or not out to hijack, but a straight steal of homes so unexpected.

Nothing like a drag bunt. …..from a master…

Or not out to hijack, but a straight steal of homes so unexpected.
Drag bunting from the left side still plays a part in softball. As does a delayed steal where a runner could steal home as a catcher throws back to the pitcher. Fun stuff.

I'm all for doing anything to manufacture runs at the college level. These guys aren't pros. Put the pressure on them. Bunt, steal, hit and run, whatever it takes. Ray won a lot of games in our championship years playing small ball.

BUT, it has to be properly coached and executed. Like @rogue cock mentioned, Holbroke seemed to be content to just let batters do what they did at the plate. The results speak for themselves.

I'm all for doing anything to manufacture runs at the college level. These guys aren't pros. Put the pressure on them. Bunt, steal, hit and run, whatever it takes. Ray won a lot of games in our championship years playing small ball.

BUT, it has to be properly coached and executed. Like @rogue cock mentioned, Holbroke seemed to be content to just let batters do what they did at the plate. The results speak for themselves.
Good post. I think what a lot of people dont realize or have forgotten, including many of the pundits outside the program, is we didnt break through that ceiling to the highest level until Ray added more smallball to the resume. That included bunting, hit and runs, stealing, two strike swings and protecting the plate. It's no coincidence that the top teams the last couple of years are good at those.
It was good to see us work on some of that when we had the chance last night. I was hoping we would. We're gonna need them to extend the season. Playing good at the right time isnt enough if you dont have all the tools you may need.

Last edited:
It's easy if you let the bat do the work and not poke at the ball. Angle the bat in which direction you want it to go, pull your hands down and pick a good pitch to lay it down. A drag punt is when you need to get the ball past the pitcher.

Reactions: rogue cock
It's easy if you let the bat do the work and not poke at the ball. Angle the bat in which direction you want it to go, pull your hands down and pick a good pitch to lay it down. A drag punt is when you need to get the ball past the pitcher.
We used to call a bunt past a player a push bunt. A drag for us was a "running" no-show type bunt. A drag could be a push or standard depending on whether you "catch" the ball with the bat or "push" it. Unlike a standard 'show" bunt where you're in the front of the box, a drag was started at the back of the box where you bring your front foot back and cross over it with your back foot toward the front of the box while sliding the bat down your hand all in one motion. Basically, a drag was just a disguised bunt. It takes a lot of practice to lay down a standard bunt where to ball dies from a drag position. I dont expect we'll ever see one here. Lol

In a low scoring or tight game, it's a great way to move a runner into scoring position as well as stay out of the double play. Most players don't practice it enough and/or are not taught proper technique. I've seen many games determined by not getting a bunt down when it's needed. And, if mastered, it would be a way to put an end to the defensive shifts that are so prevalent today.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT