ADVERTISEMENT

USC Men's Basketball Net Report - 16 Jan

RileyCock

Jan 4, 2020
Columbia
The Good News: There's a small schedule break coming up.
The Bad News: TOs improved but now the defense is starting to stink

USC Current Ranking: 104 (down 1 spot from last ranking)

Quality Wins: None (#41 UAB, v. #75 Florida State (N) and at #87 Vanderbilt all Quad 2)
Quality Loses: Three (at #62 Clemson, v. #6 Auburn and at #9 Tennessee)
Bad Loses: Two (v. #116 Princeton (N), at #154 Coastal Carolina). Both teams moving away from Quad 2 and may stick as bad losses.

Remaining:

Quad 1 (7): at #49 Texas A&M, at #47 Mississippi State, v. #9 Tennessee, v. #14 Kentucky, v. #4 LSU, at #23 Alabama, at #6 Auburn
Quad 2 (3): v. at #85 Arkansas, at #111 Mississippi, v. #47 Mississippi State
Quad 3 (2): v. #87 Vanderbilt; at #225 Georgia
Quad 4 (2): v. #225 Georgia, v. #232 Missouri

South Carolina now sits at 1-3 in SEC play and will likely need to win all of the Quad 2-4 games plus 2 Quad 1 games to even have a chance. One site has South Carolina as the #57 team out so that means no NCAA and no NIT.

NET Efficiency: Offense #260 (up 1); Defense #33 (down 2). Of note, yesterday's game was the worst game USC played in terms of Adjusted Defensive Efficiency but fourth best in terms of Adjusted Offensive Efficiency (1. Army, 2. Wofford, 3. at Vanderbilt) - they missed a lot of shots but the reduced turnovers and offensive rebounds led to more points per possession. USC lost because they allowed Florida to shoot 55% from overall.

1. Player Numbers in SEC play (Minott not listed because of only 5 minutes played)

Player Efficiency Top 5 (Wilson, Leveque, Woodley, Stevenson, Chico Carter); Bottom 5 (D. Carter, Gray, Cousinard, Bryant, Martin).
Player Shooting Top 5 (Wilson, Leveque, C. Carter, Gray, Stevenson); Bottom 5 (Wright, Martin, Woodley, Cousinard, Bryant)
Win Share per 40 minutes Top 5 (Wilson, Leveque, Woodley, Stevenson, Reese); Bottom 5 (Gray, D. Carter, Martin, Cousinard, Bryant)
TO% Top 5 (Leveque, Stevenson, Reese, Wilson, C. Carter); Bottom 5 (D. Carter, Gray, Bryant, Cousinard, Martin)

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure who is helping and hurting the team offensively. However, you have Bryant starting (#4 in minutes played) and Cousinard #5 in minutes played. Of course, Wilson (#1 in many categories) has zero minutes played.

2. Where's Wilson: (Bias alert). This is where Frank loses me the most as a fan. First, after Wilson gets hit in the head earlier this year, Frank literally calls him out for being down on the floor and talks about how Frank was hit with a bat when he was younger. Now, Frank gets upset when questioned about Wilson not playing and says it's Wilson's fault because he can't find his way with the team. Then, Frank talks about how Cousinard and Bryant played so bad because the younger guys aren't getting it done. Also, let's not forget that Frank talked about how Cousinard and Bryant "couldn't find their way with the team" but Frank said "it was his job to figure it out." I guess that only applies to his pet carryover players? Let's add into the numbers the fact that Wilson was #23 in blocks in the nation last year, he's #3 in offensive rebounding (above Leveque and Gray) and #1 in defensive rebounding in SEC play. These were all things we needed yesterday.

In fairness, I don't know what happens at practice. I don't know if Wilson mouths off. I don't know if there is some subtle basketball thing that the numbers can't see but clearly there a personality dynamic going on here that is not helping the team.

(Rant alert) Personally, I think Frank has completely lost it. There were personnel dynamics we couldn't see last year that appeared to break down faction lines. Frank appears to be beholden to the two main guys who stayed at the detriment of the team. I think he cares more about making a point than actually winning a game.

3. Revenge Substitutions: Well, the revenge substitutions were back with guys getting yanked play-to-play without any chance to get into a rhythm. There are 8 TV timeouts a game in addition to team timeouts but Frank has an unwillingness to have any normal substitution pattern. There were many times he was yelling at a player after a made basket and I had no clue what the problem was that created his freak out. I see this the most with Gray. Gray seems to mope a little bit and yesterday (at one point) he seemed more active on the defensive and offensive end. However, for some reason, Frank freaked out at him (we guessed it was because he didn't go for a defensive rebound when it clearly would have been over-the-back) and Frank lit into him during FT attempts and then when he got to the bench. When Gray came back in, Gray went back to being passive Gray.

4. Woodley: The positive note is Woodley. The kid tries hard and gets into great position for someone so young. In SEC play his Player Efficiency rating is #3, his offensive rebounding percentage is #1, defensive rebounding percentage is #2 and he is #1 in TO percentage. He got 13 minutes last night, which probably about right. He needs a little more conditioning and should be a great contributor/starter in future if he stays.

Would love to see your comments.

Reactions: The Prophet Abides

Quality Wins: None (#41 UAB, v. #75 Florida State (N) and at #87 Vanderbilt all Quad 2)
Bad Loses: Two (v. #116 Princeton (N), at #154 Coastal Carolina). Both teams moving away from Quad 2 and may stick as bad losses.

Remaining:

Quad 1 (7): at #49 Texas A&M, at #47 Mississippi State, v. #9 Tennessee, v. #14 Kentucky, v. #4 LSU, at #23 Alabama, at #6 Auburn

South Carolina now sits at 1-3 in SEC play and will likely need to win all of the Quad 2-4 games plus 2 Quad 1 games to even have a chance. One site has South Carolina as the #57 team out so that means no NCAA and no NIT.

NET Efficiency: Offense #260 (up 1); Defense #33 (down 2). Of note, yesterday's game was the worst game USC played in terms of Adjusted Defensive Efficiency but fourth best in terms of Adjusted Offensive Efficiency (1. Army, 2. Wofford, 3. at Vanderbilt) - they missed a lot of shots but the reduced turnovers and offensive rebounds led to more points per possession. USC lost because they allowed Florida to shoot 55% from overall.

1. Player Numbers in SEC play (Minott not listed because of only 5 minutes played)

Player Efficiency Top 5 (Wilson, Leveque, Woodley, Stevenson, Chico Carter); Bottom 5 (D. Carter, Gray, Cousinard, Bryant, Martin).
Player Shooting Top 5 (Wilson, Leveque, C. Carter, Gray, Stevenson); Bottom 5 (Wright, Martin, Woodley, Cousinard, Bryant)
Win Share per 40 minutes Top 5 (Wilson, Leveque, Woodley, Stevenson, Reese); Bottom 5 (Gray, D. Carter, Martin, Cousinard, Bryant)
TO% Top 5 (Leveque, Stevenson, Reese, Wilson, C. Carter); Bottom 5 (D. Carter, Gray, Bryant, Cousinard, Martin)

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure who is helping and hurting the team offensively. However, you have Bryant starting (#4 in minutes played) and Cousinard #5 in minutes played. Of course, Wilson (#1 in many categories) has zero minutes played.

2. Where's Wilson: (Bias alert). This is where Frank loses me the most as a fan. First, after Wilson gets hit in the head earlier this year, Frank literally calls him out for being down on the floor and talks about how Frank was hit with a bat when he was younger. Now, Frank gets upset when questioned about Wilson not playing and says it's Wilson's fault because he can't find his way with the team. Then, Frank talks about how Cousinard and Bryant played so bad because the younger guys aren't getting it done. Also, let's not forget that Frank talked about how Cousinard and Bryant "couldn't find their way with the team" but Frank said "it was his job to figure it out." I guess that only applies to his pet carryover players? Let's add into the numbers the fact that Wilson was #23 in blocks in the nation last year, he's #3 in offensive rebounding (above Leveque and Gray) and #1 in defensive rebounding in SEC play. These were all things we needed yesterday.

In fairness, I don't know what happens at practice. I don't know if Wilson mouths off. I don't know if there is some subtle basketball thing that the numbers can't see but clearly there a personality dynamic going on here that is not helping the team.

(Rant alert) Personally, I think Frank has completely lost it. There were personnel dynamics we couldn't see last year that appeared to break down faction lines. Frank appears to be beholden to the two main guys who stayed at the detriment of the team. I think he cares more about making a point than actually winning a game.

3. Revenge Substitutions: Well, the revenge substitutions were back with guys getting yanked play-to-play without any chance to get into a rhythm. There are 8 TV timeouts a game in addition to team timeouts but Frank has an unwillingness to have any normal substitution pattern. There were many times he was yelling at a player after a made basket and I had no clue what the problem was that created his freak out. I see this the most with Gray. Gray seems to mope a little bit and yesterday (at one point) he seemed more active on the defensive and offensive end. However, for some reason, Frank freaked out at him (we guessed it was because he didn't go for a defensive rebound when it clearly would have been over-the-back) and Frank lit into him during FT attempts and then when he got to the bench. When Gray came back in, Gray went back to being passive Gray.

4. Woodley: The positive note is Woodley. The kid tries hard and gets into great position for someone so young. In SEC play his Player Efficiency rating is #3, his offensive rebounding percentage is #1, defensive rebounding percentage is #2 and he is #1 in TO percentage. He got 13 minutes last night, which probably about right. He needs a little more conditioning and should be a great contributor/starter in future if he stays.

So I try not to call out guys by name, but there are definitely some guys playing poorly that still go out there and continue to play poorly. Coaches can complain but if you keep playing the guys that play poorly, it hurts team morale. At some point the guys that stink need to sit, regardless of how well they play defense.

While the defense wasn’t great, I think the bigger issue was poor offense which created some tough spots. We must have turned the ball over at least 10 times in the press. When you do that, it’s going to make your defense look worse but realistically that’s an offensive problem. We’re going to get pressed the rest of the year until we can show we can handle it. Vandy exposed it and Tennessee and Florida pounced on it.

Remaining:

Also I wasn’t going to share this story until seasons end, but this is where it became hard for me to defend Frank.

I attended a game this season where he was mad at an in game substitution when we had one of our worst defensive players matched up on an opponents best scorer. Instead of realizing it and changing it, he chewed out the bench after saying “F it” when realizing the problem and letting it play out predictably bad. This occurred in a game we lost, but very easily could have won.

Since I am closer to the program I’m being vague for obvious reasons, but at that point it became difficult to defend what is going on. I still SUPPORT this team as much as anyone, but it has become increasingly harder to DEFEND this program.

I see no choice but a regime change at seasons end….and for those that know me on here know that I have defended the current staff as much as anyone.

I’ve been around the school since the late 20s and have seen both good and bad. This is by far the worst team I’ve ever laid eyes on (not just basketball, all sporting teams). They need a change now, do not wait until the end of the season.

I may soon be dead.

-Prophet

I’ve been around the school since the late 20s and have seen both good and bad. This is by far the worst team I’ve ever laid eyes on (not just basketball, all sporting teams). They need a change now, do not wait until the end of the season.

I may soon be dead.

-Prophet
While I don’t doubt your loyalty to the program, there were some teams under Steve Newton, Darrin Horn and the first year of Eddie Fogler that were far worse than this team. This team will likely win a few games and finish around .500 overall. We’ve had some teams that couldn’t win 10 games all season.

Reactions: The Prophet Abides

Remaining:

I sat behind the team yesterday. Tickets and seats are plentiful.

I could not believe that after a player displeases Frank, he tunes out the next play, that is, he turns his head away from the game so he can continue to chew the player out. He is actually missing the next instance to chew out the next player, because he has quit watching the game!

Downsides: we did not win this one. I thought we played well enough to be much closer at the end. We just do not have that take charge guy who can create something out of nothing. A guy like that would everyone on the team. Also, long walk from Pulaski Street field to find a free parking space.

I could not believe that after a player displeases Frank, he tunes out the next play, that is, he turns his head away from the game so he can continue to chew the player out. He is actually missing the next instance to chew out the next player, because he has quit watching the game!

Downsides: we did not win this one. I thought we played well enough to be much closer at the end. We just do not have that take charge guy who can create something out of nothing.
Paragraph 1–This is why I think it’s even more important that he keep his cool and say a word or two and move on. Literally missing a play or two can be the difference between victory and defeat, but we seem ok with that.

Paragraph 2–The 2 guys that come to mind when you say that are BJ McKie and Devan Downey. Your offense could be spread out and get out the way and those two would make it look brilliant.

While the defense wasn’t great, I think the bigger issue was poor offense which created some tough spots. We must have turned the ball over at least 10 times in the press.

Currently 336th out of 350 schools in turnover margin at 15.8 per game.

q3W3rty.jpg

I may soon be dead.

-Prophet
I see no advantage to fire Martin before the end of the season. I do see our administration actively looking for a replacement. Martin has to see the writing on the wall. I wish he would just gracefully accept a lesser position with the school or seek another coaching job. USC has been loyal to him for 10 years!

I see no advantage to fire Martin before the end of the season. I do see our administration actively looking for a replacement. Martin has to see the writing on the wall. I wish he would just gracefully accept a lesser position with the school or seek another coaching job. USC has been loyal to him for 10 years!
So “you are saying” that CFM should become the AD?

Currently 336th out of 350 schools in turnover margin at 15.8 per game.

q3W3rty.jpg
In fairness, we are 192nd (tie) in turnover margin at +0.3 per game. We actually force a lot of turnovers. But, I think you meant turnovers per game and you are 100% correct.

In SEC games, we are 11th at 18.5 TOs per game and a margin of -2.0.

The real scary stat is USC being 29th nationally in 2-pt% defense (had been as high as #2) but 11th in 2-pt% defense in SEC play. We're dropping like a rock defensively while not performing offensively (13th in shooting percentage).

This isn't 1980, guys don't take a lesser position inside of programs, especiallya guy who has done better at Carolina than most previously and is a big national name. Frank will want his buyout and then will take another job or he could do very well on TV

This isn't 1980, guys don't take a lesser position inside of programs, especiallya guy who has done better at Carolina than most previously and is a big national name. Frank will want his buyout and then will take another job or he could do very well on TV
I said “I wish”…I know he is going to get every dime he can out of us! I don’t agree that he would do well on tv. Sadly, Covid has done a number on him. He just looks frail now. I hope in time his health will return, but right now…he still looks like he is struggling. I really don’t think he is a ‘big’ national name any more…not with several mediocre seasons. (Just my observation.). I wish him the best. Have always pulled for him…but just think we have to go in a different direction.

This dynamic going on with Wilson is why Frank isn’t successful. He is his own worst enemy. I love basketball, but year after year it’s the same story with Frank and somebody on the team.
i have hope for this team, but it’s fleeting. As much as I have tried to defend Frank we will better off moving on from him as coach. It’s a different era and his stubbornness proves he will never adapt.

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT