ADVERTISEMENT

USC Men's Basketball Report - 29 January - THIS IS IT

RileyCock

Jan 4, 2020
Columbia
USC is currently #108 in NET and moved up only 5 spots with the wins over Georgia and Vanderbilt. As we've seen with moves in the Big East (Marquette, Creighton, etc.), a couple road Quad 1 wins can move a team up 20/30 spots. Tonight's game will is critical if there is any hope of igniting the small chance this team can go anywhere.

SEC Wins v. SEC Losses

The easiest comparison for USC's SEC record is as simple as 0-3 v. Quad 1 and 2-0 v. Quad 3-4 (1-1 v. Quad 2). So, if it's as simple as the only reason Carolina won games was because of talent comparison then we all can expect USC to finish the SEC at 5-13 and none of this matters.

However, a deeper look at the numbers show two major categories that has been the difference in the SEC -- Points in the Paint and Second Chance Points.

--In the 4 losses, Carolina loses this PiP category by 14.5 points. In the 3 wins, Carolina wins this category by 7.3 points.
--Similarly, USC is +18 in second chance points during the wins (note: also limited Georgia to 0 second chance points) and won that category every time.

Texas A&M has played in a lot of close games and their statistics tend to be all over the place but there a couple of things that stick out for them

--In the 4 wins, A&M is +30 in points off of turnovers and in the losses -16 in second chance points.

How will it play out?

So, if it's not just talent alone, it's not going to come down to 3-pointers or fouls or tempo but is going be determined on whether USC can not turn the ball over and continue to hit the offensive boards. I think my personal favorite AJ Wilson can be difference with his team leading offensive rebounding and turnover percentage (5% to Keyshawn Bryant's 20%). Combine this with the better play from Gray (now #1 in defensive rebounding percentage) and Woodley (#1 in true shooting percentage) and Carolina can win this game with the bigs. We'll have to see if Frank's hatred of analytics will lead him to depend on Bryant's perceived offensive explosiveness hoping for a Georgia repeat v. the demonstrated (but bland) board domination the other players provide.

Frank v. Buzz

In Buzz's tenure at Texas A&M, USC in 3-0 and won by 14, 20 and 24. Could this be an instance where Frank has Buzz's number?

Final Note: Coach Steele

Again, Brian Steele had the game planning duties against Vanderbilt. For most of the game, he sat quietly and moved to coach-up subbed out players. During the second half at the under 12:00 timeout, I could see Steele grab every one around and feverously work on the whiteboard with team. From this point, the USC zone defense and an offense built on attacking Scottie Pippen, Jr., vaulted the Gamecocks from -8 to a 9-point win. Also, Steele was just as active, moving and shouting, coaxing the team to clean up the offensive boards. I've been impressed what I've seen out of him this year and the team seems to respond to him (of note: Stevenson tried to fist bump Frank and as Frank blew him off, Steele reached around and bumped Stevenson -- this all may have been part of an inside joke but it was an interesting look).

I don't know if it's becoming a plan to play heads-up for 28-30 minutes and then dramatically change the offense and defense for the rest of the game.

USC is currently #108 in NET and moved up only 5 spots with the wins over Georgia and Vanderbilt. As we've seen with moves in the Big East (Marquette, Creighton, etc.), a couple road Quad 1 wins can move a team up 20/30 spots. Tonight's game will is critical if there is any hope of igniting the small chance this team can go anywhere.

SEC Wins v. SEC Losses

The easiest comparison for USC's SEC record is as simple as 0-3 v. Quad 1 and 2-0 v. Quad 3-4 (1-1 v. Quad 2). So, if it's as simple as the only reason Carolina won games was because of talent comparison then we all can expect USC to finish the SEC at 5-13 and none of this matters.

However, a deeper look at the numbers show two major categories that has been the difference in the SEC -- Points in the Paint and Second Chance Points.

--In the 4 losses, Carolina loses this PiP category by 14.5 points. In the 3 wins, Carolina wins this category by 7.3 points.
--Similarly, USC is +18 in second chance points during the wins (note: also limited Georgia to 0 second chance points) and won that category every time.

Texas A&M has played in a lot of close games and their statistics tend to be all over the place but there a couple of things that stick out for them

--In the 4 wins, A&M is +30 in points off of turnovers and in the losses -16 in second chance points.

How will it play out?

So, if it's not just talent alone, it's not going to come down to 3-pointers or fouls or tempo but is going be determined on whether USC can not turn the ball over and continue to hit the offensive boards. I think my personal favorite AJ Wilson can be difference with his team leading offensive rebounding and turnover percentage (5% to Keyshawn Bryant's 20%). Combine this with the better play from Gray (now #1 in defensive rebounding percentage) and Woodley (#1 in true shooting percentage) and Carolina can win this game with the bigs. We'll have to see if Frank's hatred of analytics will lead him to depend on Bryant's perceived offensive explosiveness hoping for a Georgia repeat v. the demonstrated (but bland) board domination the other players provide.

Frank v. Buzz

In Buzz's tenure at Texas A&M, USC in 3-0 and won by 14, 20 and 24. Could this be an instance where Frank has Buzz's number?

Again, Brian Steele had the game planning duties against Vanderbilt. For most of the game, he sat quietly and moved to coach-up subbed out players. During the second half at the under 12:00 timeout, I could see Steele grab every one around and feverously work on the whiteboard with team. From this point, the USC zone defense and an offense built on attacking Scottie Pippen, Jr., vaulted the Gamecocks from -8 to a 9-point win. Also, Steele was just as active, moving and shouting, coaxing the team to clean up the offensive boards. I've been impressed what I've seen out of him this year and the team seems to respond to him (of note: Stevenson tried to fist bump Frank and as Frank blew him off, Steele reached around and bumped Stevenson -- this all may have been part of an inside joke but it was an interesting look).

I don't know if it's becoming a plan to play heads-up for 28-30 minutes and then dramatically change the offense and defense for the rest of the game.
I’ll say this, there is one player that every time he is subbed out he goes and sits as far down the line as he possibly can. I’m sure you know who I am referring to. As a coach, I never cared for the person that went to the furthest end of the bench when subbed out. In about 32 years of playing and coaching I’ve never seen anything great going on at the end of the bench at any level.

I’ll say this, there is one player that every time he is subbed out he goes and sits as far down the line as he possibly can. I’m sure you know who I am referring to. As a coach, I never cared for the person that went to the furthest end of the bench when subbed out. In about 32 years of playing and coaching I’ve never seen anything great going on at the end of the bench at any level.
Interesting observation. The "tell" I watch for is the player who covers his head with a towel. I mean, his entire head. Untying his shoes even though he hasn't fouled out is another one. I saw that one time. The player had actually taken his shoes off, and when the coach went down the bench to get the player to go back in, and saw the untied shoes, the coach just threw up his hands and grabbed up another player.

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
I've never seen anything great at the end of the bench either but I'm certain it's better than the alternative.

I've never seen anything great at the end of the bench either but I'm certain it's better than the alternative.
I mean honestly this player goes and sits closer to the basket than the bench. I’m surprised it’s even legal to do so. If you choose to watch tonight you’ll see it when you see it

As a coach, I never cared for the person that went to the furthest end of the bench when subbed out. In about 32 years of playing and coaching I’ve never seen anything great going on at the end of the bench at any level.
True. Unless you sent a player down there to fill up the water cups ‘cause you weren’t going to put him back in the game.

SEC Wins v. SEC Losses

How will it play out?

Frank v. Buzz

Thanks for posting! Good stuff!

I mean honestly this player goes and sits closer to the basket than the bench. I’m surprised it’s even legal to do so. If you choose to watch tonight you’ll see it when you see it
When I played, it was a requirement by my coach to sit next to him for some coaching when we came out of the game. Sitting at the end wasn't an option.

Yes, that’s who I thought. A good friend from college has worked on his staff for years.
We did face each other once at a neutral site. My team got the better of his, but you could already tell he was building something good. My team won the battle. His team won the war. But I’m so glad they beat Dorman. Those jokers cheat like crazy.

Reactions: Jon Snow
There sure are a lot of Kobe pics with him sitting on far end. Hell even his chair would be pulled away from everyone. But I get your point. Maybe some people's personality works better with them sitting away from the non stop yelling. I get headaches if I'm around someone yelling long enough.

There sure are a lot of Kobe pics with him sitting on far end. Hell even his chair would be pulled away from everyone. But I get your point. Maybe some people's personality works better with them sitting away from the non stop yelling. I get headaches if I'm around someone yelling long enough.
I’ll concede you get a longer leash when you have Kobe talent. Said player shoots it as much as Kobe, but it doesn’t go in near as often.

Man you got me thinking now. I would say you are referring to Stevenson. I’m not going to guarantee this but I would be shocked if Benson comes back next year. Every time the camera is on him he looks piss. He is a good rebounder but fouls a lot and has a straight shot with zero arch on the ball.

Man you got me thinking now. I would say you are referring to Stevenson. I’m not going to guarantee this but I would be shocked if Benson comes back next year. Every time the camera is on him he looks piss. He is a good rebounder but fouls a lot and has a straight shot with zero arch on the ball.
Not disputing any of the comments because I'm not sure what the reference is but I'd like to make two points:

1. If it is Stevenson then I do not think it's a question of engagement. Frank commented how Stevenson knows the game plan and the sets better than anyone he's coached and how Stevenson moved to the end of the bench to facilitate conversation with players on the floor and on the bench. I look at it more as an extension of things than a problem. I could be wrong.

2. It is a very long bench with a ton of players and coaches. I've seen guys come off the Court and try and sit in the middle and not have an expected seat and just look for one down at the end. I'd prefer to see a second row of seats for anyone not Frank Martin, Chuck Martin or the coach in charge of the game plan.

Yeah I don’t like calling guys out by name on a message board. In the end they’re all Gamecocks and they’re trying, even if the results aren’t there.

Obviously someone else took notice as well. This is the first game where it appears the player I was referring to is much closer to the front of the bench as opposed to the end of it.

Yeah I don’t like calling guys out by name on a message board. In the end they’re all Gamecocks and they’re trying, even if the results aren’t there.

Obviously someone else took notice as well. This is the first game where it appears the player I was referring to is much closer to the front of the bench as opposed to the end of it.
I respect a lot of what you say and, generally think what you're saying is correct, but I think the coaching staff wants him to do this.

I saw "referenced" player running down toward the end of the bench when he came out and talking to other players before taking a seat in the middle tonight. I think you'll see more of him toward the end of the bench in the second half, particularly active on in-bounds and dead balls.

We did face each other once at a neutral site. My team got the better of his, but you could already tell he was building something good. My team won the battle. His team won the war. But I’m so glad they beat Dorman. Those jokers cheat like crazy.
I used to know the Dorman coach’s dad. Unethical behavior is not a surprise.

SEC Wins v. SEC Losses

How will it play out?

Frank v. Buzz

Big Win.

Key Factors:

Points in the Paint: Even
Second Chance Points: USC +8
Points off TOs: USC +6

Big credit goes to the match up change win USC down 2. Rotation including Wilson and Martin shot USC upward +11. Henderson limited to 3 points, Coleman 1 point for the rest of the game.

I guess Frank really owns Buzz

Martin I think played his best game of the year tonight…
I’m not going to pretend to love the amount of minutes he’s getting but I guess it was more warranted tonight with having a guy out.

Last edited:
I respect a lot of what you say and, generally think what you're saying is correct, but I think the coaching staff wants him to do this.

I saw "referenced" player running down toward the end of the bench when he came out and talking to other players before taking a seat in the middle tonight. I think you'll see more of him toward the end of the bench in the second half, particularly active on in-bounds and dead balls.
Thank you for the kind words. The respect goes both ways. I really enjoy your insight and input in these threads. Keep them up…especially now that we’re winning a few.

I noticed it was different tonight and I liked that. I never mind players high fiving or talking to players at the end of the bench. I didn’t like a guy creating his spot on the end of the bench even further than the end of the bench. I always told guys don’t sit there unless you plan on not playing. You’re so far away from me even if I’m thinking about putting you in by the time I find you and you hear me and get to the scorers table you’ll likely miss the first chance to get in the game. It helped a little but the malcontents still find their way down there.

Thank you for the kind words. The respect goes both ways. I really enjoy your insight and input in these threads. Keep them up…especially now that we’re winning a few.

I noticed it was different tonight and I liked that. I never mind players high fiving or talking to players at the end of the bench. I didn’t like a guy creating his spot on the end of the bench even further than the end of the bench. I always told guys don’t sit there unless you plan on not playing. You’re so far away from me even if I’m thinking about putting you in by the time I find you and you hear me and get to the scorers table you’ll likely miss the first chance to get in the game. It helped a little but the malcontents still find their way down there.
All I noticed was everyone engaged in cheering on the guys that were playing. Seems like the A&M fans kept saying things all game to our guys on the bench. I thought it was a great sideline atmosphere last night. I just wish Frank could tone it down a little. I used to enjoy his rants, but since he's lost his hair, something just isn't right about it now. It feels different now watching it.

All I noticed was everyone engaged in cheering on the guys that were playing. Seems like the A&M fans kept saying things all game to our guys on the bench. I thought it was a great sideline atmosphere last night. I just wish Frank could tone it down a little. I used to enjoy his rants, but since he's lost his hair, something just isn't right about it now. It feels different now watching it.
I tend to agree. I will acknowledge that what I’ve noticed throughout the season as far as a particular player going to the very end of the bench did not occur last night. Maybe I just needed to post something here….LOL.

As for Frank, he’s going to stay Frank. I think he prepares his team well (despite what many think here) but I will concede the outbursts seem to have lost any positive effect. However, the way the team has played down the stretch the last 3 games is proof they’re still fighting, so whatever he’s doing is working in the short term.

Reactions: TAV31
We pick up a Quad 1 win on the road. 3rd straight SEC win and moves us out of triple digits in the NET. Board reaction: we need a new bench seating chart and Frank needs to get a rug. Oh well, I'm sure most of the football posts on a UNC or IU board are inane also. LOL

Reactions: Bleedgarnet33
We pick up a Quad 1 win on the road. 3rd straight SEC win and moves us out of triple digits in the NET. Board reaction: we need a new bench seating chart and Frank needs to get a rug. Oh well, I'm sure most of the football posts on a UNC or IU board are inane also. LOL
How’s Mike Boynton doing?

• Haha
Reactions: 81 Alumnus
How’s Mike Boynton doing?
I'm sure he's suicidal. Two straight quad one road losses have cost him the vital support of the FGF crew should our job open up. Of course, the fact that he has the all-important K-State game coming up to regain their seal of approval keeps him going, no doubt.

I must admit that I've been remiss, though. I've tried to catch the Pokes whenever I could since he got the job. But, I've never focused on his bench seating chart and whether subs are treated well when they come out. My hoops bonafides from being the last guy on the bench on my HS JV team and a manager for the men's team at Carolina are blown to smithereens. What will I do???

I'm sure he's suicidal. Two straight quad one road losses have cost him the vital support of the FGF crew should our job open up. Of course, the fact that he has the all-important K-State game coming up to regain their seal of approval keeps him going, no doubt.

I must admit that I've been remiss, though. I've tried to catch the Pokes whenever I could since he got the job. But, I've never focused on his bench seating chart and whether subs are treated well when they come out. My hoops bonafides from being the last guy on the bench on my HS JV team and a manager for the men's team at Carolina are blown to smithereens. What will I do???
Well that game may put his team under .500 so maybe before you claim a ton of knowledge about the sport maybe you shouldn’t advocate on a message board that we must pick up the phone and offer it to a guy that may very well finish with a losing record this season. At least if he wins that K State game he will be one game over .500. Then you can continue to pitch him as a “winner”

I know you think that bench demeanor and attitude mean absolutely nothing to the sport. At least you are acknowledging your knowledge may be limited. Even if you’re joking it’s a small baby step in the right direction.

Well that game may put his team under .500 so maybe before you claim a ton of knowledge about the sport maybe you shouldn’t advocate on a message board that we must pick up the phone and offer it to a guy that may very well finish with a losing record this season. At least if he wins that K State game he will be one game over .500. Then you can continue to pitch him as a “winner”

I know you think that bench demeanor and attitude mean absolutely nothing to the sport. At least you are acknowledging your knowledge may be limited. Even if you’re joking it’s a small baby step in the right direction.
Well, I'm not saying we "have to" call Boynton if there's an opening. I'm saying he had the job last year if we and Frank had parted ways and he'll be the choice in the near future if there's an opening unless the big buyout he has with his new contract gets in the way.

No basketball insider or any regular Joe fans I've seen on Ok State boards are down on Mike Boynton. He doesn't need me to defend him, but he's played 10 Quad 1 games already, most in the country. In contrast, we've played 5. And I think our schedule is a tough one. But, if the Pokes were eligible, the biggest thing making them look dicey for the Dance would be the 2 Quad 3 losses in December. Sound familiar BTW? Not being 2-8 currently in Quad 1 games. He lost 3 starters including the number one pick in the entire NBA draft. Now he has 2 5-star players on the roster because he is a helluva recruiter, but that's still a lot to bounce back from if you're not a blue blood....or even if you are. But again, I haven't read or heard one negative word about his performance as a coach this year from the media or fans. Just from some dude on a free USC board who thinks we "have to" contact Pitino and will suddenly do a 180 from 20 years of ignoring Gregg Marshall (who I'm a huge fan of) AFTER he loses his job for being abusive to players .

And BTW that same dude who's all in on Marshall has his panties in a wad over Frank not being nice enough to players when they come out of a game. Go bipolar often?? Look, Frank's behavior on the bench makes me cringe. Always has. Even the K-State fans who have still not gotten over losing him talk about it. But, his players to a man don't have an issue with it. Where its a problem, unless you're a fan with delicate sensibilities, is in recruiting. And if he loses his job, its probably will have been his downfall. 5-star kids who are told they're God all the time do indeed not want to play for that.

Well, I'm not saying we "have to" call Boynton if there's an opening. I'm saying he had the job last year if we and Frank had parted ways and he'll be the choice in the near future if there's an opening unless the big buyout he has with his new contract gets in the way.

No basketball insider or any regular Joe fans I've seen on Ok State boards are down on Mike Boynton. He doesn't need me to defend him, but he's played 10 Quad 1 games already, most in the country. In contrast, we've played 5. And I think our schedule is a tough one. But, if the Pokes were eligible, the biggest thing making them look dicey for the Dance would be the 2 Quad 3 losses in December. Sound familiar BTW? Not being 2-8 currently in Quad 1 games. He lost 3 starters including the number one pick in the entire NBA draft. Now he has 2 5-star players on the roster because he is a helluva recruiter, but that's still a lot to bounce back from if you're not a blue blood....or even if you are. But again, I haven't read or heard one negative word about his performance as a coach this year from the media or fans. Just from some dude on a free USC board who thinks we "have to" contact Pitino and will suddenly do a 180 from 20 years of ignoring Gregg Marshall (who I'm a huge fan of) AFTER he loses his job for being abusive to players .

And BTW that same dude who's all in on Marshall has his panties in a wad over Frank not being nice enough to players when they come out of a game. Go bipolar often?? Look, Frank's behavior on the bench makes me cringe. Always has. Even the K-State fans who have still not gotten over losing him talk about it. But, his players to a man don't have an issue with it. Where its a problem, unless you're a fan with delicate sensibilities, is in recruiting. And if he loses his job, its probably will have been his downfall. 5-star kids who are told they're God all the time do indeed not want to play for that.
Who on Earth would want Mike Boynton over Rick Pitino? I think OSU would fire him tomorrow for Pitino.

Boynton is a good recruiter, but if you have two 5 star athletes on your roster in a sport like basketball where only 5 guys play at a time, how are you floating around .500? You can blame the schedule all you want but that’s piss poor management of talent. He may finish with a losing record this season. And get that Big 12 is tough crap out of here. The SEC is the best basketball conference in the country this season.

If you look at a history of my posts, I think you’ll find that 1. I’ve defended Coach Martin as much as anyone on this board but also fairly criticized it when needed 2. I have not said much about his outbursts. Maybe one sentence on this thread. 3. Most of the discussion was about a player on the bench not a coach.

But this is much like the “mid major” thread. You feel like you are the guy with a monopoly on facts in a message board where opinions and facts flow like wine. Even when others pointed out you were wrong you just could not admit it.

SEC Wins v. SEC Losses

How will it play out?

Frank v. Buzz

Hope you’re not taking this to the new board. Still some old timers in the old board that liked reading this.

Reactions: TAV31
I was just about to ask where this guy was. Big game tonight. Can't really expect to win, but it would be another huge victory for the resume.

How’d that Oklahoma State vs K State game go? I’m holding receipts.

Reactions: Cock-a-Doo
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT