ADVERTISEMENT

USC-UF game about 15 years ago...

ShannonL

Mar 13, 2004
Somebody help refresh my memory. Early 2000s we beat UF because on a big play near the end of the game, they had 12 men on the field. The penalty led to us winning. Anybody remember the situation?

GO COCKS!

Shannon
USC '88

Somebody help refresh my memory. Early 2000s we beat UF because on a big play near the end of the game, they had 12 men on the field. The penalty led to us winning. Anybody remember the situation?

GO COCKS!

Shannon
USC '88
2005 we were punting the ball back to them and they had 12 on the field. And it gave us the 1st down and ran out the clock.

Reactions: ShannonL
The game started at noon, nobody wanted to leave the stadium after the game was over , I think we tailgated til midnight. I also enjoyed doing the gator chomp especially with urban Liar coaching.

The game I attended down there that hurt me the worst was the one we lost by a point (18-17?) to the eventual national champions. It turned on several things, but the worst was the cheesiest false start penalty I have ever seen which forced us into the field goal attempt that was blocked. We were about to beat them down there and the SEC made sure it didn't happen. Our defense played its butt off that day.

Thanks, everybody. I lived in Orlando then and ran out into the street waving a Gamecock flag after that penalty, I just couldn't remember why. First time since 1939? Ugh! Glad we've done a little better since then. :>)

GO COCKS!!!

I remember them selling the signs with the score on it and the said "Urban Myth" on them. Mine is in the attic somewhere.
:cool:

The exuberance was enhanced by the fact that we had beaten the Volunteers in Knoxville the game prior for the first time in forever. Tennessee and Florida had represented back-to-back beatings for us ever since we'd joined the SEC except for 1992. Getting that monkey off our back was a taste of things to come.

Wasn`t that the game when Chris Leak was Florida QB? The play I remember was when Chris Tucker(I think) - DL for us - got a pick, rambled down the sideline, broke several tackles, winded up deep in Florida territory. Is there a video of that play somewhere?

The game I attended down there that hurt me the worst was the one we lost by a point (18-17?) to the eventual national champions. It turned on several things, but the worst was the cheesiest false start penalty I have ever seen which forced us into the field goal attempt that was blocked. We were about to beat them down there and the SEC made sure it didn't happen. Our defense played its butt off that day.
I think it was 17-16 because they blocked an extra point, too. The guy who blocked the FG should have been suspended, but of course he wasn't. Heartbreaking. I think UF won the national championship that year, too.

I think it was 17-16 because they blocked an extra point, too. The guy who blocked the FG should have been suspended, but of course he wasn't. Heartbreaking. I think UF won the national championship that year, too.
Yes, I mentioned that - and 17-16 could be correct. But we were marching when the officials called that awful penalty on our left tackle. He didn't move any earlier than any other tackle preparing to pass block. Hateful loss, only a little less so than the Gardner push-off at UPC.

The TV. camera focused on the Gator fans late in the game when the win could have gone either way. Thousands of Gators looking sick as wounded dogs. They were watching an NC blow up in their faces.

I watched the 2005 game in VA before we moved back here and I wanted to be here so bad because it was an awesome game, and the weather looked perfect. Final was 30-22, and iirc it was like 23-3 at one point, and looked like a blowout was brewing. The final was definitely not indicative of the game. We played one of the best games I remember (if memory serves)

Full game. Go to about 9:20 for Chris Tucker. Sux big man didn’t score, he was following his blocks like a champ.

Last edited:

GO COCKS!

Shannon
USC '88
I believe that was the day of the lowest flyover I've ever experienced. I'm getting older, so I could be wrong.

If it was the same day, my 4-year old daughter had this foil "scroll" with two handles that said "Cock & Fire" on it & kept opening it toward the UF fans beside us. It was hilarious.

Reactions: fire ant
I watched the 2005 game in VA before we moved back here and I wanted to be here so bad because it was an awesome game, and the weather looked perfect. Final was 30-22, and iirc it was like 23-3 at one point, and looked like a blowout was brewing. The final was definitely not indicative of the game. We played one of the best games I remember (if memory serves)

Full game. Go to about 9:20 for Chris Tucker. Sux big man didn’t score, he was following his blocks like a champ.

That was back when a full stadium meant a full stadium.

Reactions: lostcock
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT