ADVERTISEMENT

USC/Vandy game thread.

The sooner SC fans realize their program should be happy with a few 20 win seasons here and there and an appearance in the NCAA tourney every 1-3 years or so, the sooner some fans will enjoy the seasons more

The problem with your logic is it's been 13 years since an NCAA tourney. And at this pace it'll be at least 14 before long.

You can demand accountability within a progam without having ridiculous expectations. If not, what the hell is the point in even putting out a product.

The problem with your logic is it's been 13 years since an NCAA tourney. And at this pace it'll be at least 14 before long.

You can demand accountability within a progam without having ridiculous expectations. If not, what the hell is the point in even putting out a product.

you had a coach inherit a dumpster fire 5 years ago...SC will be in the NCAA tourney this year

you had a coach inherit a dumpster fire 5 years ago...SC will be in the NCAA tourney this year

I believe so too. But heaven forbid if we aren't... would you stick your neck out for Martin considering what we're looking at for next year?

We were only a dumpster fire 5 years ago because we took 2 years too long to fire Horn. Basically Martin's got us back to where Odom consistently was trading. Tell me, how fondly do you recall Odom?

Reactions: jonesz21
We were only a dumpster fire 5 years ago because we took 2 years too long to fire Horn. Basically Martin's got us back to where Odom consistently was trading. Tell me, how fondly do you recall Odom?

You mean 28-34 Dave Odom his last 2 years a SC...coaching is a "what have you done for me lately" business. That's why coaches make the big bucks

The sooner SC fans realize their program should be happy with a few 20 win seasons here and there and an appearance in the NCAA tourney every 1-3 years or so, the sooner some fans will enjoy the seasons more

Martin has won 45 games in less than 2 years and a loud minority is not happy
CFM, the original one, would slap you down for saying that. Twenty wins with an ACC schedule maybe.

I believe so too. But heaven forbid if we aren't... would you stick your neck out for Martin considering what we're looking at for next year?

If I were Ray Tanner...

1. Take reasonable steps to keep Frank. Give a short extension, a decent raise, etc. He has made progress nearly every year. BUT
2. Keep his buy-out quite reasonable as well. If he can't bring in a better caliber of player, things aren't likely to get any better than they are. And considering we are only as good as we are now because Thornwell has developed (with Frank and Staff's help, of course) into one of the 10 best players ever at USC, we could likely be a whole lot worse soon.
3. Finally, I'd realize that if I'm already planning his contract in anticipation of having to run him off in 2 years and I think the program will be considerably worse the next 2 years that it would be foolish to wait. Once you've made a decision, make a decision. Don't take half-measures. Call my contacts and see who we can bring in.
4. Uh-oh, I'm Ray Tanner. I don't really have any contacts. And I'm not good at these AD duties. Gregg Marshall won't take my calls, what do I do, what do I do.
5. Ask Zion Williamson who he would prefer we hire.
6. Hire Darren Horn.

You can see the deer in the headlights look on every player, and that look has gotten deeper in February. Who knows what is going on in practice. But the face chewing during games and going back for a second helping from Martin during games, leads me to believe you could multiply it by 10. These kids appear to be worn out and beat down. Tonight's loss increases that tailspin to a huge season ending crash and more disappointment for the program.

Frank Martin is probably realizing the last 2 years is about as good is it will get at SC

Yeah if clemson would have thought that way 10 yrs ago they wouldn't have been in the championship game the last two years. To be great everyone must expect and demand it

Reactions: Vincent Hanna
that away to go...NIT

Odom is also responsible for our last NCAA appearance. Again, I'm not hoisting him up as some paradigm of excellence, but I'd venture to say most fans have lukewarm memories of his time here. If we are a one-and-done in the tournament this year and do nothing next year, Martin will fall way short of Odom as far as accomplishments at USC.

Reactions: rogue cock
Odom is also responsible for our last NCAA appearance. Again, I'm not hoisting him up as some paradigm of excellence, but I'd venture to say most fans have lukewarm memories of his time here. If we are a one-and-done in the tournament this year and do nothing next year, Martin will fall way short of Odom as far as accomplishments at USC.

To funny.. Dave Odom NEVER had a winning SEC conference record in 7 seasons

Should've recruited better. KSU fans were right, Underwood was the real secret to his success.

just like the second string QB is always the best when your team loses a few.

Martin has won 45 games in less than 2 years for a program that hasn't won a NCAA tourney game for 43 years....there's your history of SC basketball

To funny.. Dave Odom NEVER had a winning SEC conference record in 7 seasons

So what? The SEC was a stronger conference in the mid '00's than now. Odom also made the SEC tournament finals, won 2 NITs, appeared in another NIT final, had 1 appearance in the NCAAs, etc. Until things change, Martin has a single victory over High Point to show for all that conference "winning."

WOW I'm impressed.

So what? The SEC was a stronger conference in the mid '00's than now. Odom also made the SEC tournament finals, won 2 NITs, appeared in another NIT final, had 1 appearance in the NCAAs, etc. Until things change, Martin has a single victory over High Point to show for all that conference "winning."

WOW I'm impressed.

If 3 out of 7 good years with Odom and 4 losing seasons make you miss the Odom golden years, good for you.

Yes, they did. Perhaps at that time the AD expected more.

..and now 5 years later SC can expect a few 20 win seasons now and then and a NCAA tourney now and then..and that is how its been and most likely will be

If 3 out of 7 good years with Odom and 4 losing seasons make you miss the Odom golden years, good for you.
No one misses Odom, but you fail to acknowledge that Odom had a much, much tougher schedule than what Martin has had the benefit of playing. And that is pretty damned obvious based on their respective post seasons.

Reactions: jonesz21
..and now 5 years later SC can expect a few 20 win seasons now and then and a NCAA tourney now and then..and that is how its been and most likely will be

Vandy has been to the NCAA tourney 6 out last 10 years. So u saying we should not expect to at least be as good as Vandy? If that is so we suck as fans

Reactions: rogue cock
No one misses Odom, but you fail to acknowledge that Odom had a much, much tougher schedule than what Martin has had the benefit of playing. And that is pretty damned obvious based on their respective post seasons.

Then call for the firing of Martin and see where program goes from there..

4 winning seasons if you're choosing to scrutinize his tenure. 3 NIT's (all ending in finals appearances) and 1 NCAA. Please get that factually correct. And then understand that I don't care about Odom any more than to say we're 10 years removed from his "golden years" and have taken two steps back under Horn and 2 steps forward under Martin. But Martin, up until this point, has done nothing exceptional.

I'm a Gamecock. I DGAS who our coach is. I just want to win.

Vandy has been to the NCAA tourney 6 out last 10 years. So u saying we should not expect to at least be as good as Vandy? If that is so we suck as fans

The proof is right in front of you to see...43 years without a NCAA tourney win

SC will never hire a coach with Martins reputation ( unless they hire an older coach on his way out, Tubby might be available) to coach Basketball at SC, when Martin is gone, SC will take a flier on a young coach and pray he aint Darin Horn

SC will never hire a coach with Martins reputation ( unless they hire an older coach on his way out, Tubby might be available) to coach Basketball at SC, when Martin is gone, SC will take a flier on a young coach and pray he aint Darin Horn
Pretty well known he was on his way out at KSU. He may could've gone other places, but no doubt we threw him a life preserver.

So you don't trust his recruiting either! Interesting.

He coaches at SC...heck, he recruited and signed the best player SC has had in 20 years.
You are not going to recruit consistently top tier players at SC, and you're not getting a better coach than Martin

Pretty well known he was on his way out at KSU. He may could've gone other places, but no doubt we threw him a life preserver.

To funny... he would've been hired by many schools if there would've been opening..SC got lucky

Felder played 17 minutes and had 1 turnover and 4 fouls to show for it. That's it. McKie was nearly invisible as as well. The bench is giving us nothing. And Kotsar is just a big body taking up space under the basket right now. So we're down to 4 legit contributors.

Attrition, attrition, attrition.

Reactions: Vincent Hanna
So of y'all need a wake up call.. he leaves this year, you'll get what you don't want

What? AD hires the same firm he used to do a nation wide search for a football coach and pay them mucho grande again

ADVERTISEMENT