ADVERTISEMENT

USC will require everyone on campus to wear a mask beginning June 1

I’ve seen that meme too.

the point of the masks is that it re-directs what you breathe out from traveling up to 13 feet from you with no mask, to a more manageable 3-4 feet. Couple that with social distancing, and you begin to reduce the chances of spreading in public spaces. It’s simple, but many have made it political, and thus, more complicated. Don’t get your news from memes.
Memes oversimplify the issues at hand and do not allow for important nuances.

Quick question - are we talking about the flu? Covid-19 is a virus, but not the flu. The same way HPV is a virus, but not the flu. The flu is immaterial here. And besides, all flu numbers are merely projections (you saw how inaccurate Covid projections were). If they confirmed a flu diagnosis the way they confirm someone has Covid, the numbers could differ greatly.

But don't wear a mask - just don't expect to go into anywhere that requires them.

What I'm saying is get the flu shot to keep your immunity up... If you get the flu, it will open you up of getting sicker maybe with COVID 19..

Besides, if I wear a mask, some people would mistake me of being Antifa.... :D

I’ve seen that meme too.

the point of the masks is that it re-directs what you breathe out from traveling up to 13 feet from you with no mask, to a more manageable 3-4 feet. Couple that with social distancing, and you begin to reduce the chances of spreading in public spaces. It’s simple, but many have made it political, and thus, more complicated. Don’t get your news from memes.
Wait a minute! It travels 6 feet, no more, no less. Everybody knows this. It's even marked on the floor in most stores now.

Now yall are gonna get really mad. The masks they're giving out to employees/students say UofSC on them

And at games too...

I want one to say Go Cocks on the front of the mask and match it up with this bottom...

s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:
Yes and college students are such at risk. Disappointed in Caslen. Instead of the USC Police students will have to worry about the Mask Police. So, how many college students do you know of you have contracted Covid? To protect others? Maybe when they visit their grandparents it would be reasonable. On the horseshoe when it`s 98 degrees in Columbia? No way. Yes there is a virus that is real. But there is a lot of overkill, hysteria, unnecessary fear promoted by a lot of the media.

I’ve seen that meme too.

Don't waste your time with the "it's a hoax" crew here in FGF. They are a special kind of conservative.
merlin_171709350_183a9a61-3bcd-441c-a79a-698cca2b522d-mediumSquareAt3X.jpg

No mention about wearing mask in dorms or in Stadiums or other sporting events...

USC will require everyone on campus to wear a mask beginning June 1

The University of South Carolina is requiring everyone on its main campus to begin wearing a mask because of the coronavirus pandemic.

Students, faculty, staff and visitors are required to wear a mask in classrooms, Thomas Cooper library, Russell House student center, Student Health Services and anywhere it is difficult to remain six feet or more away from someone, USC President Robert Caslen announced Wednesday.

“We wear face coverings in order to protect others, and as Gamecocks we pledge to demonstrate concern for others,” Caslen said in the message. “The research is clear: an infected person wearing a face covering may reduce the spread of COVID-19 to others.”

USC will provide reusable, washable face masks for every student, faculty and staff member, Caslen said. The policy will go into effect June 1, when some students and faculty will begin returning to campus.

The state’s largest school will also add hand-sanitizing stations, clean areas that are touched frequently and offer free testing, by appointment, for all students and employees, Caslen said.

“It could be easy to assume that you don’t need to wear a face covering if you feel fine, but we all know that asymptomatic carriers of COVID-19 could unknowingly spread the virus to those around them,” Caslen said.

Read more here: https://www.thestate.com/news/coronavirus/article243028061.html?#storylink=cpy

More evidence Colleges & Universities are on-course to jump the shark this decade.

Sure get the mods to change my screen name. You ever looked at how much money is spent on end of life care?

No doubt it's a boatload...So you're in the camp of it being a cost-saving culling of the elderly?

I was just questioning the "75% would have died in a year" remark. That seems both arbitrary and chilly.

Last edited:
No doubt it's a boatload...So you're in the camp of it being a cost-saving culling of the elderly?

I was just questioning the "75% would have died in a year" remark. That seems both arbitrary and chilly.
Check out “covid-19 death by age demographics” on SCDHEC.gov. Given that the vast majority had existing and/or underlying health issues, his statement is likely accurate.

Check out “covid-19 death by age demographics” on SCDHEC.gov. Given that the vast majority had existing and/or underlying health issues, his statement is likely accurate.
I know he probably thinks I just made that up on a whim. I didn’t. Is it brutal to say. I’ll admit it is. Doesn’t change the facts though. I am in a line of work that sees 85 year olds get a double bypass when they have other chronic illnesses that they will not survive long time. If you want to help health care overall, unfortunately some of that needs to be curbed.

Ah so you unlike me are for the government controlling everything about your life. See I’m for small government and believe they have no right to tell me to wear a seatbelt or not. How am I hurting or doing anything to anyone if I don’t wear a seat belt in my truck by myself. Answer that one for me.

You are wrong again. I’m not for government controlling everything about your life.

but when you are riding around and get splattered all over the roadway, it impacts my insurance rates and my taxes to send the folks to scoop up the mess you made on the road.

now, if it was the law that you getting splattered couldn’t impact my rates, and the insurance companies could refuse to pay out any benefits to your family, and hospitals could refuse to treat your injuries, I MIGHT consider revising my opinion.

Until then, nope.

Reactions: atl-cock
. But the smart freedom-lover realizes that if the insurance company won't pay for his/her injuries, it could leave their family in a world of hurt, and thus they buckle up /wear a helmet to protect their family.

And yes, your bike, your rules. Love your post!

And I’m 100% for any life insurance company not having to pay out a dime to the surviving family for the covered member who doesn’t wear a seat belt.

also include specifically social security survivor benefits to the family- None.

More than half of America has underlying health issues though, especially after age 35/40. (e.g. 1 in 12 children has asthma, etc. )
People w/ conditions often still live a full life.

More than half of America has underlying health issues though, especially after age 35/40. (e.g. 1 in 12 children has asthma, etc. )
People w/ conditions often still live a full life.
More than half of America doesn’t fall into the 75% category he was referring to.

Sounds reasonable. People forget that professors, janitorial staff, cooking staff, etc, etc are also on campus. The university community is much more than a bunch of 18-22 year olds.

How are we going to build herd immunity if everyone is in hiding? Let the vulnerable wear masks.

Reactions: uscedge21
I see people riding in their cars by themselves with the windows up wearing masks. People riding bicycles on the side of the road with no one else in sight wearing masks. Saw a guy on the driving range today by himself, 90 degrees, bright sunshine wearing a mask. Totally absurd. What ever happened to common sense?

How are we going to build herd immunity if everyone is in hiding? Let the vulnerable wear masks.

Herd immunity without a vaccine is nearly impossible - unless you're talking about widespread, natural, intentional infection of individuals (I'm sure the anti-maskers would love being told to now go have someone cough in their faces). Even that wouldn't guarantee herd immunity.

Herd immunity only works if everyone (the percentage threshold needed 70-90%) has immunity at the same time. Here, the problem is we don't know how long people stay "immune" after infection. Most doctors agree that there should be some level of immunity after infection, but that it could vary from individuals based on the severity of their case. We just don't know. And though this is a highly contagious disease, if you look at Sweden (the great test case for herd immunity), the studies they've done there show that they may only be up to a 7-8% infection rate at the moment after all this time - meaning they still need ten times more infections (and deaths) to reach herd immunity. And again, that's if everyone infected early is still immune a year later.

That's why a vaccine is necessary for herd immunity - so we can immunize great portions of the population at the same time (coupled with the infection/immunity that is spread naturally). If you just make USC a hot spot, all it's going to do is kill a bunch of 50+ old people around Columbia that come into contact with USC students (shop owners, professors, restauranteurs, support staff, legislators, etc.).

I see people riding in their cars by themselves with the windows up wearing masks. People riding bicycles on the side of the road with no one else in sight wearing masks. Saw a guy on the driving range today by himself, 90 degrees, bright sunshine wearing a mask. Totally absurd. What ever happened to common sense?
Why does it bother you that people are wearing masks? What is wrong with playing it safe?

Sounds reasonable. People forget that professors, janitorial staff, cooking staff, etc, etc are also on campus. The university community is much more than a bunch of 18-22 year olds.
Blah blah blah
Nothing more than the flu and a political effort by the media and democrats to destroy our economy.

Ah so you unlike me are for the government controlling everything about your life. See I’m for small government and believe they have no right to tell me to wear a seatbelt or not. How am I hurting or doing anything to anyone if I don’t wear a seat belt in my truck by myself. Answer that one for me.
AMEN!!!

only an idiot doesn’t wear a seat belt.

I do wish insurance companies would not pay out on a claim at all if the person was discovered not wearing a seat belt.

thankfully, they do usually lower payments (sometimes substantially) to people who don’t wear them. That typically hurts the injured person’s family quite severely.

what I have told people a few times that have rode with me is if they don’t wear it, I’ll pull over and drop them off on the side of the road. No one yet had the guts to take me up on it.

Really? A side impact is a death sentence if you are wearing a seatbelt. You absorb 100% of the energy. Government is forcing you to die in this case by forcing you to wear a seatbelt. F**K the government!

More than half of America doesn’t fall into the 75% category he was referring to.

Have no idea what you're talking about....The idea that 75% of the people who died were not going to "die within a year" is wild speculation and total nonsense. More than half of America having a comorbid condition is a separate discussion from that statement.

Saw a guy plowing a field with a tiller, wearing a mask.

Reactions: uscedge21
Have no idea what you're talking about....The idea that 75% of the people who died were not going to "die within a year" is wild speculation and total nonsense. More than half of America having a comorbid condition is a separate discussion from that statement.
More than half of America died?

I think the point is people wearing masks when they don't really need to, i.e. when they are alone. It is akin to wearing a mask while sitting in your recliner in your house alone.
And???
Why would he care if someone wears a mask in the privacy of their home. Individual Freedom!!!

Reactions: Rollerdude123
Saw a guy plowing a field with a tiller, wearing a mask.

I wear a mask when I cut grass and have for years because I have severe allergies part of the year. Chances are the guy you saw has the same issue, or he has COPD or another lung problem.

I know tons of landscapers that wear dust masks as part of their uniform. https://systemofyoursafety.com/best-dust-mask-for-mowing/

this is not new folks. I am convinced some of you folks live in a cave.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bleedgarnet33
Really? A side impact is a death sentence if you are wearing a seatbelt. You absorb 100% of the energy. Government is forcing you to die in this case by forcing you to wear a seatbelt. F**K the government!

As anyone with common sense knows, as as hundreds of studies tell us, the best way to survive an auto accident is to stay secured in your seat.

“near side” impacts are very dangerous. However, the least survivable outcomes are when you are ejected from your seat, regardless of the location of the impact.

A severe “near side” crash will typically kill the driver regardless. When it doesn’t, the lowest survivable outcome is being ejected from the seat which a seat belt helps prevent. However, a large percentage of auto accidents are not side impact crashes. Therefore the need to wear a seat belt at all times is paramount.

it’s also the law.

I think the point is people wearing masks when they don't really need to, i.e. when they are alone. It is akin to wearing a mask while sitting in your recliner in your house alone.

If people want to hang upside down by their toes when they are alone, who cares either way?

Maybe some folks want to wear it all the time to get use to it. Maybe they have severe allergies. Maybe they have other concerns.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT