ADVERTISEMENT

USC's Campus Village (Replacing Bates, Bates W., Cliff, Carolina Gardens)

uscbeckham

Staff
Oct 22, 2001
Chapin, SC
We had a thread about this development in 2015. Click Here.

I wanted to update, since it seems like everything is ready to go. USC will be tearing down Bates, Bates West, Cliff Apartments, and Carolina Gardens. This will demolish 1,211 beds in some of the most outdated dorms on USC's campus.

To replace these, USC will be constructing a massive "Campus Village" in their place. This village will have approximately 11 dorm structures, some of which will be mixed-use with retail and study space. There will also be a parking garage where Cliff Apartments currently stands. It will total 3,690 beds.

Included in the dorms will be an increased amount of green space between the dorms, very similar to the East, South, and West Quads. Also, to mix the architectures of USC and the Shandon/Hollywood/Rose Hill areas, the buildings will be constructed similar to the East, South, and West Quads, but with red brick. (The way the Horseshoe used to be)

Another probable development will be a new pedestrian bridge from the South Quad to the Blatt PE Center/Elevated Walkway that will completely separate foot traffic from Wheat Street.

Article from 2015:

http://www.thestate.com/news/local/education/article37232841.html

Article from 2016:

http://www.thestate.com/news/politics-government/article110942952.html

Before:

usc%20village

After:

CAMPUS-VILLAGE-1

Reactions: rogue cock
I guess I'm showing my age but I remember when Bates and Bates West first opened. They were hailed as state of art.
LOL. Just a bit.

Problem with Bates is that the architecture sucks so bad, that they don't even want to renovate. I love the transition to a more traditional-looking campus.

Reactions: Anna_Nimmitty
That looks very cool. I remember when Bates House was the best dorm on campus. Then Bates West opened in 1974. Apartments!! What an innovation!! I moved to BW with some friends that very year. It was actually nice.

The one thing I didn't particularly like was the ramp. But it makes sense that they are building a new one. They need to keep bikes and boards off of it to prevent injuries like that kid who was killed when he crashed his bike into the wall of the PE Center.

Reactions: uscbeckham
That looks very cool. I remember when Bates House was the best dorm on campus. Then Bates West opened in 1974. Apartments!! What an innovation!! I moved to BW with some friends that very year. It was actually nice.

The one thing I didn't particularly like was the ramp. But it makes sense that they are building a new one. They need to keep bikes and boards off of it to prevent injuries like that kid who was killed when he crashed his bike into the wall of the PE Center.
They had a dining hall down there also. We used to eat at South a lot - for reasons y'all might understand. It was also closer than Bates to where I lived.

LOL. Just a bit.

Problem with Bates is that the architecture sucks so bad, that they don't even want to renovate. I love the transition to a more traditional-looking campus.
Zactly! Though I had some good times at Bates West with a couple of....well, never-mind; Like you said, the overall architecture of Bates West, Bates House and Cliff Apts is of what, the 50's or 60's?? The entire area over there needs to be re-designed and replaced.

JMHOFWIW

I used to ride my bike from BW to campus when it reached the whole way. Those speed bumps were just bunny hop targets. My best speed was around 30 mph, but a friend of mine got close to 40 blowing by me like I was standing still.

Zactly! Though I had some good times at Bates West with a couple of....well, never-mind; Like you said, the overall architecture of Bates West, Bates House and Cliff Apts is of what, the 50's or 60's?? The entire area over there needs to be re-designed and replaced.

JMHOFWIW
It's amazing that 'older is better' in this case. The Horseshoe, Gibbes Green, Women's Quad, National Advocacy Center, (E, W, and S) Quads, etc... are all the future of architecture. Ironic that the architecture is deeply embedded in our history. Not this 1950-70 style.

LOL. Just a bit.

Let me make it clear that I'm good with any and all physical improvements at the University of South Carolina. I think they are things to be proud of.

These are ambitious, grandiose plans. I'm sure that universities all over the country have similar plans for one aspect or another of their campuses. My question is this: do leaders have any concern at all that the escalating cost of attending residential colleges and universities might reduce the demand, and hence the need, for developments of this kind?

Let me make it clear that I'm good with any and all physical improvements at the University of South Carolina. I think they are things to be proud of.

These are ambitious, grandiose plans. I'm sure that universities all over the country have similar plans for one aspect or another of their campuses. My question is this: do leaders have any concern at all that the escalating cost of attending residential colleges and universities might reduce the demand, and hence the need, for developments of this kind?
I'm not sure they can afford to be concerned. With budget cuts over the last few years, schools are trying to make it by increasing tuition fees and enrollment. It's a losing proposition right now.

I'm not sure they can afford to be concerned. With budget cuts over the last few years, schools are trying to make it by increasing tuition fees and enrollment. It's a losing proposition right now.
I don't see how many working class families can swing it without a lot of help. And by that, I don't mean loans.

You and me both friend...The parties at Bates and Bates West were off the hook...We used to say what happens at Bates stays at Bates...Serious serious babes at those hot parties
Exactly! The people that sat at that desk in front didn't have a clue.lol

We had a thread about this development in 2015. Click Here.

I wanted to update, since it seems like everything is ready to go. USC will be tearing down Bates, Bates West, Cliff Apartments, and Carolina Gardens. This will demolish 1,211 beds in some of the most outdated dorms on USC's campus.

To replace these, USC will be constructing a massive "Campus Village" in their place. This village will have approximately 11 dorm structures, some of which will be mixed-use with retail and study space. There will also be a parking garage where Cliff Apartments currently stands. It will total 3,690 beds.

Included in the dorms will be an increased amount of green space between the dorms, very similar to the East, South, and West Quads. Also, to mix the architectures of USC and the Shandon/Hollywood/Rose Hill areas, the buildings will be constructed similar to the East, South, and West Quads, but with red brick. (The way the Horseshoe used to be)

Another probable development will be a new pedestrian bridge from the South Quad to the Blatt PE Center/Elevated Walkway that will completely separate foot traffic from Wheat Street.

Article from 2015:

http://www.thestate.com/news/local/education/article37232841.html

Article from 2016:

http://www.thestate.com/news/politics-government/article110942952.html

Before:

usc%20village

After:

CAMPUS-VILLAGE-1

Lots of good times at Bates/BW back in the day.

I'm sure many of y'all remember when the ramp used to run from the old Frat quad all the way to Bates. I will share a bad memory about that one: Whenever we Army ROTC Cadets came back from Christmas or Spring break our Master Sergeant, who was permanent cadre, would take us out on a particularly spirited run. I remember after spring break one year, probably around 6:00am, there were cadets strung out for a couple hundred yards, puking over the side.

Ahhhh, good times!

I don't see how many working class families can swing it without a lot of help. And by that, I don't mean loans.
Very true. And no public figures other than Dave Ramsey and Mark Cuban will talk about it. While we sit here talking about college sports, the underlying institutions may be part of a bubble that is about to pop. A lot of college towns have multiple high rise apartment buildings under construction now, and it's essentially funded by student loans. And the loans aren't being paid off. I don't see how it can be sustainable.

Very true. And no public figures other than Dave Ramsey and Mark Cuban will talk about it. While we sit here talking about college sports, the underlying institutions may be part of a bubble that is about to pop. A lot of college towns have multiple high rise apartment buildings under construction now, and it's essentially funded by student loans. And the loans aren't being paid off. I don't see how it can be sustainable.
We could be laying the groundwork for another mortgage crisis but on a smaller scale than the one in 2008 - more compartmentalized.

We could be laying the groundwork for another mortgage crisis but on a smaller scale than the one in 2008 - more compartmentalized.
Easily. Downside here is a plethora of housing on the outskirts of campuses with no students or young professionals to fill them. That could be dangerous inside of a city.

Reactions: titaniumspur

I was there year 1 as well. 12th floor. Loved my view of the State Fair and Willy B. Was a great dorm for my senior year. I remember waiting in line to choose the room and decor.

Yeah, the ramp was pretty sucky. The bikes never paid attention to the bike lane.

GOCOCKS! BEATGA!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT