ADVERTISEMENT

USC's South Campus Village renderings

uscbeckham

Staff
Oct 22, 2001
Chapin, SC
USC is in the process of replacing the ~1,200 beds at Bates, Bates West, Cliff Apartments and Carolina Gardens. They will be replaced with 3,750 beds and approximately 1.4-million square feet of building space on 18 acres. This will completely transform the southern portion of USC's campus.

https://www.wdgarch.com/portfolio/projects/university-of-south-carolina-campus-village

1514561240USC-1.jpg

1514561840USC-2.jpg

1515183431USC-3.jpg

Looks impressive. Any idea when demo and construction will begin, and an estimated completion date?

Can someone please send me a brick from Bates House. Another piece of My Carolina going away (along with the fraternity quad and the honeycombs).

Reactions: rogue cock
Can someone please send me a brick from Bates House. Another piece of My Carolina going away (along with the fraternity quad and the honeycombs).
One section of the McBryde Quadrangle is still standing...it may not be too long before they decide to knock it down too though. It's still an all male dorm and the students call it "McBro"

One section of the McBryde Quadrangle is still standing...it may not be too long before they decide to knock it down too though. It's still an all male dorm and the students call it "McBro"
That's quite an unfortunate few who get stuck there. Looks like they kept the stretch along Blossom street. Wonder how they got the puke smell out of the common area on the 1st floor.

Reactions: coolcock2001
I'm sure we need the buildings, but no wonder ever-fewer working class people can afford to put their children through residential college anymore.
I don't like the term "working class," because it implies the higher-income segments of our society didn't work their asses off for it, but I agree with your sentiment. These are beautiful renderings and I'm sure the old buildings were in bad need of updating, but I can't help but see dollar signs when I view these projects.

I don't like the term "working class," because it implies the higher-income segments of our society didn't work their asses off for it, but I agree with your sentiment. These are beautiful renderings and I'm sure the old buildings were in bad need of updating, but I can't help but see dollar signs when I view these projects.
How about Middle Class?

I agree. "Working poor" is a much better description.

Luxury housing for students is a big reason so many people are saddled with excessive student loan debt when they graduate. Yes, tuition has risen astronomically, but students don't have to live in the lap of luxury, either.

Last edited:
Reactions: king ward
How about Middle Class?
That works for me. Truth is, though, the cost of traditional residential university degrees, especially if you add a graduate degree, is rapidly becoming unaffordable for even the upper-middle class. Of course, that doesn't stop folks from going anyway - easy and unquestioned credit will get them their degree, but many of them are incurring debt they can't really afford.

That works for me. Truth is, though, the cost of traditional residential university degrees, especially if you add a graduate degree, is rapidly becoming unaffordable for even the upper-middle class. Of course, that doesn't stop folks from going anyway - easy and unquestioned credit will get them their degree, but many of them are incurring debt they can't really afford.
And it's neither wise nor necessary in many cases. There are numerous non-traditional avenues to degree attainment and many high-paying fields are accessible through focused vocational education not requiring a college degree. People need to be smart in plotting their educational pathways now.

One thing I always lacked was a true "mentor". I loved and cherish my days at USC, but from a career standpoint, if I had it to do over again, I'd pay what I spent on my degree to a successful person who was willing to personally mentor me in a chosen field. Finding the kind of honest person who was qualified, willing, and able to so would be difficult though.

Reactions: king ward
Will it help us win?
An attractive campus with nice facilities will not hurt. Believe it or not, some of us athletic supporters don't believe everything about an Institute of Higher Learning is not about sports. The purpose statement of our University includes things other than sports. Read it, it's there.

There is so much new housing downtown, on and off campus. Surprised there is so much new demand.

FYI. Same thing is happening in Athens. Four large units bordering downtown. Clarke is the smallest county in Ga. and I believe every remaining unoccupied property will be covered in student apts.

Reactions: DarkCock
I'm sure we need the buildings, but no wonder ever-fewer working class people can afford to put their children through residential college anymore.
At this point it's largely just keeping up with the joneses. Arms race etc. Any big school that doesn't keep new facilities is gonna suffer

I remember living the Towers (Moore) and visiting some in Bates West early my freshman year. I thought then that it was a 5 star accommodation, and the end-all-be-all of campus living. A kitchen? Den? Parking lot?

By the time I finally got there, my senior year, I still thought I was living the high life.

My kids laugh at my Towers stories of over 40 guys sharing the bath facilities, and the individual rooms fitting 2 beds and, well, nothing else.

Columbia Hall, Capstone, McBryde, there's still a few of the old style dorms hanging on out there. Sims/Wade Hampton/McClintock for the girls are pretty old but I think they've had some internal remodeling

I remember living the Towers (Moore) and visiting some in Bates West early my freshman year. I thought then that it was a 5 star accommodation, and the end-all-be-all of campus living. A kitchen? Den? Parking lot?

By the time I finally got there, my senior year, I still thought I was living the high life.

My kids laugh at my Towers stories of over 40 guys sharing the bath facilities, and the individual rooms fitting 2 beds and, well, nothing else.
One would think there has to be a limit to how cushy the lives of subsequent generations of students can possibly get. In my mind two beds, a desk and a compact fridge is all anyone would need, but I guess a microwave would also be nice. :)

Douglas ... 4 years ... 7-11, Big Bird, DSP, Stuffy’s, Mauro’s, Winners Circle, Carolina Coliseum, Sammy’s. What we lacked in comforts, we made up with in location!

Reactions: legalsizecock

Hell's bells, I thought old K Dorm (Douglas) was the 'lap of college dorm luxury' back in the mid-60's - elevator, air-conditioning, and . . . hold it . . . drum roll . . .TELEPHONES in every room. Plus, we had a sun deck and a patio to keep your beer cold during the winter - those little refrigerators and micro waves were hardly on the radar screen back then.:)

Last edited:
I had my car broken into and my car stereo stolen when I parked on the Bull St side of Bates House. The next year, I had my bike stolen from in front of Bates West. But the dorms were co-ed, so the overall experience was good.

Douglas ... 4 years ... 7-11, Big Bird, DSP, Stuffy’s, Mauro’s, Winners Circle, Carolina Coliseum, Sammy’s. What we lacked in comforts, we made up with in location!
Agree, and thanks for all those names (thought I was the only one who remembered the short-lived Sammy's). Nothing like a good old chili cheeseburger and fries (with gravy) from the Big Bird after a long night of, well....

The convenience store was actually the DCP

latest
Not familiar with DCP. Is this in reference to the "DSP" mentioned by Wally? If so, he was referring to the Down Stairs Plaza, which could be accessed via Big Bird, but its own bar.

As an undergrad I was never a big DSP'er, but it was a big hang out for law students. Always enjoyed going there after taking law finals - quickly put in a requirement that no one discussed the questions/answers on the exams taken; it was just too depressing to realize someone (maybe me) missed the point on an issue.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT