ADVERTISEMENT

USNWT

GarnetBeamer

Dec 7, 2020
US Soccer Federation offered them identical contracts to the men’s team. The women rejected it as a PR stunt. I’m confused… I thought what they wanted all along was equal treatment to the men’s team?

“U.S. Soccer said Tuesday it offered identical contracts to the players’ associations for the men’s and women’s national teams. But the governing body also said it would refuse to agree to a deal in which World Cup prize money is not equalized.”

So they offered equality to women on one part of compensation which happens to provide the least amount of money to the players

“U.S. Soccer said Tuesday it offered identical contracts to the players’ associations for the men’s and women’s national teams. But the governing body also said it would refuse to agree to a deal in which World Cup prize money is not equalized.”

So they offered equality to women on one part of compensation which happens to provide the least amount of money to the players

Are you expecting the USSF to subsidize the difference in payouts?

Reactions: Joe MorrisonLives

Hey, they can’t say we didn’t try to pander to their complaints. Jane Q Public doesn’t have a leg to stand on anymore and that’s the problem. They can’t complain anymore and that pisses them off! All that fun has been taken away!
I hear more female baby seals are being clubbed than males. Maybe they can take up that cause now.

Politics aside, the women should be getting paid more than the men based on performance alone. The women consistently win on the international stage, and the men can’t even manage to qualify for the World Cup.

Politics aside, the women should be getting paid more than the men based on performance alone. The women consistently win on the international stage, and the men can’t even manage to qualify for the World Cup.
That's not how value is determined. Money in money out is, unless you want national teams supported by tax instead of the revenue the teams draw. If you think the women should be paid more, pay for the product more. There isn't even a women's league in the US because they didn't have sufficient support, where were you then? And since the men list the last works cup, the women would've made a lot more than the men if they agreed to the same contract but they wanted guaranteed income regardless achievement so that's why they didn't earn more for greater achievement.

That's not how value is determined. Money in money out is, unless you want national teams supported by tax instead of the revenue the teams draw. If you think the women should be paid more, pay for the product more. There isn't even a women's league in the US because they didn't have sufficient support, where were you then? And since the men list the last works cup, the women would've made a lot more than the men if they agreed to the same contract but they wanted guaranteed income regardless achievement so that's why they didn't earn more for greater achievement.
Fair enough, I was not aware that Olympic teams are not publicly subsidized--I assumed that they were but I stand corrected after doing some research.

That's fine. However, my question is how does the men's team generate revenue at all. They have sucked for a long time. I am not a big soccer fan at all. However, I do at least peak at the women's game a little bit and keep up with it because I have an expectation of success. There is no expectation with the men and the only name guy they have is the "Pulisic" dude. Heck, I can't even spell his name right. This is one argument where I side with the women because the guys can't even beat Jamaica.

Last edited:
That's fine. However, my question is how does the men's team generate revenue at all. They have sucked for a long time. I am not a big soccer fan at all. However, I do at least peak at the women's game a little bit and keep up with it because I have an expectation of success. There is no expectation with the men and the only name guy they have is the "Pulisic" dude. Heck, I can't even spell his name right. This is one argument where I side with the women because they guys can't even beat Jamaica.
Higher ticket prices, more games in the off years, larger purses when you win, which we do when we play Hemispheric games, just not against Europe, bigger stars, only reason Megan Rapinoe has more clout than any of the men is exposure for her political activism, and men's international is just a bigger stage. When it comes to athletic excellence the fact of the matter is that men's bodies are designed for speed and power and women's bodies are designed to make more people. If people want to see athletic competition amongst the most athletic people, it would be men and that's what draws attention. Some would say that's sexist but it anything elevating maleness as a standard is sexist. Men and women are physically different and often animated by vastly different things. Saying that men and women should provide equal support for the men's and women's team elevated a more typically make behavior because men are far more animated by physical competition because it's what we're programmed to view as that which gives us value.

Edit: and to head off anyone who wants to get it twisted, I have a 1 year old daughter and if she wants to be an athlete or lawyer or any number of stereotypically male things I'll support her but I will not happily welcome the ubiquitous messaging that there is anything wrong with her wanting to be a mom. Which is what most girls seem to want until society tells them they're supposed to be ambitious.

Last edited:
Reactions: uscclassof74
That's fine. However, my question is how does the men's team generate revenue at all. They have sucked for a long time. I am not a big soccer fan at all. However, I do at least peak at the women's game a little bit and keep up with it because I have an expectation of success. There is no expectation with the men and the only name guy they have is the "Pulisic" dude. Heck, I can't even spell his name right. This is one argument where I side with the women because the guys can't even beat Jamaica.

men > women when it comes to sports revenue. Even sucky men.

Because contrary to your belief, winning isn’t a prerequisite for interest.

More people are willing to pay money to watch the men than the women’s team.

Reactions: king ward
They should definitely be paid the same for being on the team. Same salary, same benefits, same retirement.

However, from there the revenues coming in are outside of the US Soccer Federations hands in most cases, and are completely viewership based (tv and in person). FIFA pays more for a men’s World Cup qualifier than they do for a Women’s World Cup champ. That’s because the money coming in is that much greater because viewership is that much greater.

Are the women arguing they should get a piece of the revenue the men earn?

They should definitely be paid the same for being on the team. Same salary, same benefits, same retirement.

However, from there the revenues coming in are outside of the US Soccer Federations hands in most cases, and are completely viewership based (tv and in person). FIFA pays more for a men’s World Cup qualifier than they do for a Women’s World Cup champ. That’s because the money coming in is that much greater because viewership is that much greater.

Are the women arguing they should get a piece of the revenue the men earn?
They aren't on the same team, but if we are talking about teammates, should Succop make as much as Brady considering they are both on the Tampa Bay Buccaneers? Or should they be paid for the value they provide like everyone else in every other profession?

Because contrary to your belief, winning isn’t a prerequisite for interest.

More people are willing to pay money to watch the men than the women’s team.
Wow, let’s go out, get drunk, and say “I believe that we will win” so we can lose. Sounds like fun,

Women’s soccer is severely underdeveloped in much of the world, which is the only reason our Women’s team is able to dominate the competition. Men’s soccer on the other hand is highly competitive and skilled in most of the world.

Reactions: uscwatson21
Women’s soccer is severely underdeveloped in much of the world, which is the only reason our Women’s team is able to dominate the competition. Men’s soccer on the other hand is highly competitive and skilled in most of the world.
And it's the most popular sport in most of the world getting most of the good athletes, here it's number 4.

That’s the real irony. Our women have really benefited from the investment the US has made into women’s sports.

Now that other countries are starting to invest they’re not going to be able to stay as dominant of a force as they once were.

Someone posted a great video in a thread about this several weeks ago.

The guys play for club teams, and get their insurance and benefits from those (their primary job). They take pay as contractors to play for the US.

The women have no club teams (little or no interest) and playing for the US is their primary job. So they turned down being paid as contractors (just like the men) and negotiated for health benefits, vacation, maternity leave with US soccer, which means lesser salaries.

Someone else pointed out too, the men are sharing a piece of a MUCH bigger pie internationally, so they can suck, and still make more than the women who are winning. A decent starting player on a bad NFL team makes a lot more than the corresponding arena league player.

Last edited:
Anyone else find it hilarious a Gamecock fan is arguing winning is all that matters?
...and I stopped going to Gamecock games after the loss to UNC in Charlotte because I got tired of the losing. I still follow the team, but I don’t spend an ounce of emotional energy on them. I am not a glutton for punishment like some of you guys. Same with the USA Men’s Team. Don’t get spending money or emotional energy when you know the outcome; a loss. If you call that a fair weather fan, Tag me, I’m it.

Reactions: vacock#
Pay the women X% of women's soccer team's profits and pay men X% of men's soccer team's profits.
This is the the only true equality answer. Then the women's players would have to pay to play since they don't make a profit and maybe people would realize their demands are asinine.

How can anyone enjoy watching a match when an opponent is that poor? It wasn’t even like we were scoring talented goals based on the highlights.
Did you watch us vs EIU or flip to another game? Actually I only caught portions of the game as I was watching our gamecocks pull out a victory over Mizzou in the last three minutes.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT