ADVERTISEMENT

UVA!?! Hilarious!!! What losers!!!

Sounds like UVA thought they could win just by showing up. Their opponent was supposed to be blinded by the magnificence of UVA's number oneness. Sounds like a certain team that Fogler coached.
You mean 2 teams Fogler coached. We lost to 15 seed Coppin State as a 2 seed in '97 and to 14 seed Richmond as a 3 seed in '98. Those were major heartburn moments for me.

Sounds like UVA thought they could win just by showing up. Their opponent was supposed to be blinded by the magnificence of UVA's number oneness. Sounds like a certain team that Fogler coached.

It's pretty sad, but as this was going down last night, I thought about how at least we aren't tied for being the biggest choke artist in NCAA tourney history anymore.

Both of those still piss me off.

Didn't McGuire lose an early NCAA play-off game to Furman back in the 70's? I remember I had an appointment in Kingstree several days after that loss. My appointment was a . . . . Furman grad! He told me to rest easy. He was sick and tired of taking phone calls from Taters congratulating him on FU's win over USC.

Reactions: atl-cock
You mean 2 teams Fogler coached. We lost to 15 seed Coppin State as a 2 seed in '97 and to 14 seed Richmond as a 3 seed in '98. Those were major heartburn moments for me.
It's even worse than I thought.:) Those two back to back losses have to be a record somewhere. That's when he quit. A coach has to take the blame as well as the accolades. FM2 rescued us from our abysmal March Madness history.

Reactions: Cocky704
Everyone on the UVA roster who played ought to have their scholarships yanked. Just think, they just did something that no one else can ever exceed in terms of suckage - or has, up to now, ever even matched.

Reactions: Horseshoe 04
Everyone on the UVA roster who played ought to have their scholarships yanked. Just think, they just did something that no one else can ever exceed in terms of suckage - or has, up to now, ever even matched.
Look how badly they lost. It doesn't seem possible. UVA must have a curse.

Reactions: Horseshoe 04
Didn't McGuire lose an early NCAA play-off game to Furman back in the 70's? I remember I had an appointment in Kingstree several days after that loss. My appointment was a . . . . Furman grad! He told me to rest easy. He was sick and tired of taking phone calls from Taters congratulating him on FU's win over USC.

But back in those days Furman wasn't a day off. Remember the old North/South doubleheader they used to play in Charlotte? During that era of Furman basketball they beat NC State and UNC on consecutive night's. And that was a pretty high level trick to pull off in the early 70's.

As far as the UVA deal, just the bottom line example of why you play the games. UVA obviously wasn't mentally into it thinking it would be the walk over that it should have been. UVA isn't focused, and then offensively UMBC plays the game of their dreams basically hitting everything they throw up. If they play 100 times, UVA wins 99. Happens rarely, but it happened Friday night

Reactions: funktavious
As far as the UVA deal, just the bottom line example of why you play the games. UVA obviously wasn't mentally into it thinking it would be the walk over that it should have been. UVA isn't focused, and then offensively UMBC plays the game of their dreams basically hitting everything they throw up. If they play 100 times, UVA wins 99. Happens rarely, but it happened Friday night
Yep. It's coach's job to make sure players are focused. Va was a paper tiger. Like Aub at USC they expected opposing team to be awed and to lose before the tip off.
Odom Jr made himself look good. Something his dad(king of the NIT)never did at USC. At least not when it really counted.

Reactions: Rod Dangerfield
Yes. The number 1 seed in the tourney was ousted by presumably the lowest seed in the field of 64, if the seeding takes the proper consideration. Even though it goes down as #1 upset by #16 and can technically be tied by any #1, this will only ever truly be equaled by a #1 overall seed losing in the first round.

Yes. The number 1 seed in the tourney was ousted by presumably the lowest seed in the field of 64, if the seeding takes the proper consideration. Even though it goes down as #1 upset by #16 and can technically be tied by any #1, this will only ever truly be equaled by a #1 overall seed losing in the first round.

Retrievers....this event will never be equaled when you consider the over number one and the margin of victory.

Now the last remaining sports mystery is 0-59 for Clemson in Chapel hole. Haha!

Retrievers....this event will never be equaled when you consider the over number one and the margin of victory.

Now the only sports mystery is 0-59 for Clemson in Chapel hole. Haha!

But back in those days Furman wasn't a day off. Remember the old North/South doubleheader they used to play in Charlotte? During that era of Furman basketball they beat NC State and UNC on consecutive night's. And that was a pretty high level trick to pull off in the early 70's.

True that... Clyde Mayes and Fessor Leonard were a force at Furman in the early 70’s. Used to go see them play as a kid. Both the 6’8” Mayes and the 7’1” Leonard we’re selected in the 1975 NBA draft.
Clyde_Mayes_thumb.jpg

True that... Clyde Mayes and Fessor Leonard were a force at Furman in the early 70’s. Used to go see them play as a kid. Both the 6’8” Mayes and the 7’1” Leonard we’re selected in the 1975 NBA draft.
Clyde_Mayes_thumb.jpg
But nobody was as special as Bruce Grimm. Mr Showtime

Reactions: Cumberlandsc
But nobody was as special as Bruce Grimm. Mr Showtime

Man, I had not thought of that name in years. The stereotypical hotdog, almost Will Ferrell-ish at times, but a great scorer. I loved him. Did his time overlap with Clyde?

25 years ago we got a bunch of guys together, arranged to use the Greenville High gym, 4 teams of 5 each, full court. Games were short, to 10 by 1's. Winner stayed. We invited Clyde to play, and also brought in Rod Foster (Rocket Rod Foster who played at UCLA and Phoenix Suns). Each of those two played with a different team each time, so everyone got a chance to play with and against an NBA pro. An amazing morning of basketball.

Clyde was a gentleman. Still had that signature semi-behind-the-head shot. But he made everyone feel glad to be there, uplifted everyone, didn't do any show off stuff, but did enough to let you know "This is what it is really like." He was super. As was Foster.

But one quick story. If you played in HS, were a pretty good player, and have wondered, "If they called me out of the stands and gave me a uniform, and I was in top condition, could I at least not suck?" The answer is, "No, you would suck. You couldnt even catch the ball without it being taken away. You couldn't put the ball on the floor. You would be worse than a cardboard cut out on defense." Clyde and Rod let us play. But every once in a while the game would be on the line and they would do something to swing the course of the game. When they did that, the rest of us were utterly helpless. These were guys who played on state championship teams, intramural championship teams, etc. And Clyde and Rod were like 40. But when Clyde or Rod turned it on it was worse than high schoolers against 7 year olds. Its another planet entirely. The speed is incomprehensible. It looks normal from the stands or on TV, but on the floor it is other worldly.

Clyde_Mayes_thumb.jpg
I was just a kid, but I remember those Furman teams. They used to fill up Greenville Memorial Auditorium. They regularly beat Clemson and other ACC teams. Their coach was the legendary Joe Williams who took Jacksonville to the NCAA championship game back in the late 60’s. He had (2) 7’0 players, one of which was Artis Gilmore who went on to play in the old ABA.

Reactions: memphis cock#
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT