ADVERTISEMENT

Vandy girl kicker wins Player of the week

Having a little fun and doing something different doesn't cost anyone anything. It's sports, not real life. She did something that no player in the history of the SEC ever has - so they celebrate her a bit. Maybe it would have been "more deserving" if she actually hit an extra point - but determining "deserving" as it relates to weekly, conference sports awards is a pointless exercise.

Having a little fun and doing something different doesn't cost anyone anything. It's sports, not real life. She did something that no player in the history of the SEC ever has - so they celebrate her a bit. Maybe it would have been "more deserving" if she actually hit an extra point - but determining "deserving" as it relates to weekly, conference sports awards is a pointless exercise.

Except it wasn't presented as just something fun. It was presented as a monumental achievement for womankind. Good grief, she didn't even compete to win a spot on the team. All the men were just sick.

Reactions: uscedge21
IWHI

36193768-8995239-image-a-25_1606524478297.jpg
Did you know that the bass player in Shinedown is from Charleston, SC? His name is Eric Bass and he was in Sheldon and Shaman Mary who were local bands on the scene throughout the 90s and early 2000s.

Reactions: Chanticleer37
I think I'm a little embarrassed at all the negative comments in this post. Did she do anything extraordinary on the field? No. It was still monumental because she was the first woman to ever do it. Maybe it was a publicity stunt. Does it really matter? She could have been the greatest kicker of all time and she couldn't have helped Vandy win.

Reactions: Jeremiah Bullfrog
It's so ironic. I was watching a college football game with my friends a few weeks ago and commented to them "You know what college football really needs? Female players." It's really the missing ingredient from the game. I know we've all thought it.

• Haha
Reactions: TheReelEss
She twisted more man panties with that kick than a dozen progressive liberals.

Plus...she plays like a girl.

d0d38b4a-416a-464b-9c6b-0f6dfe3a9891-DSC04365.jpg

The attention isn't warranted.

However, the young woman in the link below deserves a lot of attention. She has my admiration. She actually kicked a couple of extra points in college and could have been injured while kicking the extra points. She accomplished this feat in 1997 at a small college. Liz Heaston did something I could not have done my hat is off to her.

Conversely, Sarah Fuller did nothing I couldn't do today at 75 (almost 76 and going strong). It's just hard for me to take my hat off to her.

I think I'm a little embarrassed at all the negative comments in this post. Did she do anything extraordinary on the field? No. It was still monumental because she was the first woman to ever do it. Maybe it was a publicity stunt. Does it really matter? She could have been the greatest kicker of all time and she couldn't have helped Vandy win.

So it was a non-extraordinary, publicity stunt that was monumental? Gonna take me a while to wrap my head around that one.

Reactions: DarkHorse2001
It's so ironic. I was watching a college football game with my friends a few weeks ago and commented to them "You know what college football really needs? Female players." It's really the missing ingredient from the game. I know we've all thought it.
Sarcasm right?

Not really. I mean, I enjoy watching fast, athletic players as much as anyone, but sometimes you just want to see weaker, slower players. Right? Am I the only one? The game has just gotten too fast.
I know I'd love to see a girl go over the middle on a crossing route, that would turn out wonderfully.

• Haha
Reactions: BeCocky77
....and, the only reason she got the chance in the first place is other kickers were in quarantine.
Sometimes we need a fun distraction to take our minds off the obvious soup we're in.

Unfortunately, some can't have a little fun for all the bitch'n.

Reactions: The Defender
The attention isn't warranted.

However, the young woman in the link below deserves a lot of attention. She has my admiration. She actually kicked a couple of extra points in college and could have been injured while kicking the extra points. She accomplished this feat in 1997 at a small college. Liz Heaston did something I could not have done my hat is off to her.

Conversely, Sarah Fuller did nothing I couldn't do today at 75 (almost 76 and going strong). It's just hard for me to take my hat off to her.
I all fairness, it's not like Sarah Fuller was even given the chance to kick any EPs or FGs. Vandy never made it into the endzone. Heck, they barely made it across the 50 4 times the entire game.

Not really. I mean, I enjoy watching fast, athletic players as much as anyone, but sometimes you just want to see weaker, slower players. Right? Am I the only one? The game has just gotten too fast.
The only women sport I enjoy over men is Wimbledon and beach volleyball.

So it was a non-extraordinary, publicity stunt that was monumental? Gonna take me a while to wrap my head around that one.
The event was extraordinary in itself because it had never been done before. Things get a little more noticed when they are firsts.

Just because you're a wannabe loser doesn't mean everyone is. There are many of us on here who actually played the game.
[/QUOTE]

I all fairness, it's not like Sarah Fuller was even given the chance to kick any EPs or FGs. Vandy never made it into the endzone. Heck, they barely made it across the 50 4 times the entire game.

But it was the pooch kick (to me anyway) that made any attention for Sarah Fuller unwarranted. Had she kicked even one extra point then my hat would have been off to her.

But it was the pooch kick (to me anyway) that made any attention for Sarah Fuller unwarranted. Had she kicked even one extra point then my hat would have been off to her.
From what I understand that was the play called by the coaches. IMO, it's unfair to somehow diminish it when she had no control over the play-calling.

Reactions: funktavious
Say this much, folks are talking about her. Like they say, the only bad publicity is no publicity. People have gotten their 15 minutes of fame for far worse things than kicking a football. I'm sure she has no aspirations of revolutionizing the game. No matter what anyone else is opining about it, for her, it was probably just a neat thing to say she got to do.

As far as the actual kick, come on, she's a collegiate soccer player, so she can obviously kick the ball farther than 30 yards. If I were Mason, I'd have probably given her a chance to just kick it normally...that was a bit boneheaded of him. Nevertheless, I'm sure she enjoyed the experience.

Say this much, folks are talking about her. Like they say, the only bad publicity is no publicity. People have gotten their 15 minutes of fame for far worse things than kicking a football. I'm sure she has no aspirations of revolutionizing the game. No matter what anyone else is opining about it, for her, it was probably just a neat thing to say she got to do.

As far as the actual kick, come on, she's a collegiate soccer player, so she can obviously kick the ball farther than 30 yards. If I were Mason, I'd have probably given her a chance to just kick it normally...that was a bit boneheaded of him. Nevertheless, I'm sure she enjoyed the experience.
There's a video of her warming up for field goals. She can kick it 30 yards. She can't kick it in or close the endzone unless she's really holding back in the video.

There's a video of her warming up for field goals. She can kick it 30 yards. She can't kick it in or close the endzone unless she's really holding back in the video.
Field goals a lot of times comes down the the height of the kick so it's not blocked.

Field goals a lot of times comes down the the height of the kick so it's not blocked.
I know. Hers in the video aren't long AND they're low. I think the longest I saw on the video was 22 yards. She gets it through with plenty of distance but there isn't much height to any of them.

Her lack of leg strength in comparison to other kickers is very clear in the video I saw.

Reactions: GamecockJL
I know. Hers in the video aren't long AND they're low. I think the longest I saw on the video was 22 yards. She gets it through with plenty of distance but there isn't much height to any of them.

Her lack of leg strength in comparison to other kickers is very clear in the video I saw.
There’s a current Vandy player revolt. Many starters have opted out as of right now. They know they have better kickers and I’m sure they weren’t too thrilled with the half time tongue lashing from a kicker lmao.

It was a horrible kick, but I guess not bad enough to prevent her from winning Co Player of the week or whatever.

But at least it stayed in bounds unlike another kicker on Saturday

The out of bounds kick netted more yards. She should have kicked herself out of bounds.

"If I'm going to be honest, I was a little pissed off at how quiet everybody was on the sideline," she said. "We made a first down, and I was the only one cheering and I was like -- what the heck? What's going on? And I tried to get them pumped up."

She said she compared it to Vanderbilt soccer's SEC tournament-winning run, when the team was "cheering the entire time."

"I just went in there and I said exactly what I was thinking. I was like, 'We need to be cheering each other on. This is how you win games. This is how you get better is by calling each other out for stuff, and I'm going to call you guys out. We need to be supporting one another. We need to be lifting each other up. That's what a team's about,'" Fuller said. "I think this team has struggled, and that's been part of it.

"We really just need to build that team camaraderie where they can all lean on one another. It was an adjustment going from that team mentality where -- hey, we're all here supporting one another -- and I just wanted to bring that to this team."

I'm sure the team appreciated her halftime speech...

From what I understand that was the play called by the coaches. IMO, it's unfair to somehow diminish it when she had no control over the play-calling.

I agree with you 100%! In fact, I couldn't agree with you more but to be named the Co- Special Team Player of the week in the SEC is the part of the whole situation I think is unwarranted. Again, that is not her fault, she didn't name herself the Co-Special Team Player of the week.

And on a side note there is probably no one on this board that suffered more from the inequalities of women's rights via the trickle down effect than me. I am the son of a single mom (my dad died when I was so young I don't remember him) and if people think that is hard now, try it in the 1950s in Greenville, SC. I didn't even get to play Little League baseball when I in grade school. So much for my sad story. LOL!

Well, it was a designed pooch kick so I doubt a majority on this board could have. And that's really not the point anyway. Why does her getting player of the week bother you? Did it take the award away from you or your brother? Or your son? Does it affect your quality of life? What does this have to do with the Gamecocks? If you want to just admit, "Yes I am sexist and I hate women getting involved in football" then that's fine, just admit it and move on.

It wasn't designed unless we can agree this was her only option. Kick it low and ugly to get another 15 yards out of it rolling for the full 30. Oh and avoid the middle of the field at all costs because that might be suicide but we got a holder and a guy that will take one for the team if some guy on the return team singles you out.

ADVERTISEMENT