ADVERTISEMENT

Wait til Next Year

The basketball team has checked out. 6 straight losses. The last 3 have not even been competitive.

Ray Tanner has destroyed Gamecock football and men's basketball.

And queue the "they all need more time" Carolina ok with mediocrity Tanner defenders in 3.....2......

Reactions: SOSUSC
Frank should probably be done, but I guess you can't fire a coach who contracted COVID 2x and still coached through the season.

Well.....see Arkansas, Alabama, Missouri, LSU, Tennessee for examples in our own league that have put a quality product on the floor during COVID. We have the fewest wins of any team in our conference. This programs troubles go FAR beyond coronavirus and everyone knows it. Today's players do not want to play for Frank Martin. It is as simple as that. The only question is how much further will our clueless AD let the program get dragged down.

Embarrassing.

Well.....see Arkansas, Alabama, Missouri, LSU, Tennessee for examples in our own league that have put a quality product on the floor during COVID. We have the fewest wins of any team in our conference. This programs troubles go FAR beyond coronavirus and everyone knows it. Today's players do not want to play for Frank Martin. It is as simple as that. The only question is how much further will our clueless AD let the program get dragged down.

Embarrassing.

I'm not arguing that all. Just saying it would look pretty bad to fire a coach who worked through the season despite contracting COVID on two separate occasions. Not saying we would have been any better had covid not been an issue.

I'm not arguing that all. Just saying it would look pretty bad to fire a coach who worked through the season despite contracting COVID on two separate occasions. Not saying we would have been any better had covid not been an issue.

Yea, i know I get it. Not sure I agree with you but do think this is just another dumpster fire situation Tanner has one of our programs in. Martin should have been encouraged by Tanner and university HR to take a medical leave awhile ago, hand the program over to someone else and take some time to focus on his health. It is clear he has been operating at far less than 100% and someone allowed him to keep that up by our administration. I feel for the guy and his health issues but what happened this year wasn't good for Frank Martin's health or the health of Carolina basketball.

Yea, i know I get it. Not sure I agree with you but do think this is just another dumpster fire situation Tanner has one of our programs in. Martin should have been encouraged by Tanner and university HR to take a medical leave awhile ago, hand the program over to someone else and take some time to focus on his health. It is clear he has been operating at far less than 100% and someone allowed him to keep that up by our administration. I feel for the guy and his health issues but what happened this year wasn't good for Frank Martin's health or the health of Carolina basketball.

Brace yourself. Unless Frank decides to walk away on his own, I'm sure he'll be back next year. We'll probably be somewhat better next year (b/c it's hard not to outdo a single digit win season) so that'll be touted as a sign of progress.

Reactions: Sumptacock
I think Frank is a good coach but it's time to move on. I know the argument is who can you find that is a better option. Who cares at this point. The administration has to see the swirling happening in the toilet bowl called men's basketball.

I predict you will see several transfers after this season and it will be a complete rebuild whether it's Frank or someone else. Give someone else a chance.

Reactions: thisisnextyr
Eric Hyman hired Frank Martin. Martin then goes to the final four under Tanner's watch and every AD out there would have extended his contract and gave him a raise for that. Martin gets a COVID pass for this year but I think next year has to be judgement time for Martin and Tanner on men's basketball.

Eric Hyman hired Frank Martin. Martin then goes to the final four under Tanner's watch and every AD out there would have extended his contract and gave him a raise for that. Martin gets a COVID pass for this year but I think next year has to be judgement time for Martin and Tanner on men's basketball.
Why does he get a covid pass?

It may get some conversation for about a week, then everyone will move on. By the start of next season it MIGHT get mentioned, and only in passing.

The end is coming. I just don't know when. Covid does give Ray an excuse to not make a move. And I am sure he would embrace that option as I figure he has no desire to go through another coaching search for the other major sport on campus after the debacle the last two football searched became. Not sure what he will do, but the easiest path would be for Frank to go to Ray and resign with some lower buyout than if he were fired. Frank looks awful. And let's all be real honest about the basketball program. There are no saviors coming in on the recruiting trail. It is just going to be more of the same thing that has been seen the last few seasons. They will win a couple against teams they shouldn't, and then lay eggs against teams they should handle. I don't see that changing. And the biggest issue is that it has been going on so long that apathy has set in with the fan base and are now almost accepting of the total mediocrity. But when there is a change then one has to wonder if Ray has the talent to bring in anybody that has a chance to do any better.

Poor self management, to get covid twice! Why hasn't the woman's team had any issues that I can think of and they share a facility?

“Poor self management”?

I work in a Covid ICU. A small percentage of the people infected lived in a way that one would expect them to catch the virus....”poor self management”, as you put it.

A shocking number of the positive people I’ve seen were practically hermits. They wore masks even inside their car. A wife would test positive, while her husband, who slept in the same bed, kissed her, had sex with her, and basically self isolated with her tested negative.

My next door neighbors are a retired couple. The wife has shaky lungs. Their son occasionally stays with them while being treated for cancer. His immune system is shot, so they stayed extremely careful. They are absolutely fanatical about social distancing, masks, and hand washing. Their groceries are delivered, they wipe down everything that’s perishable and isolate, then wipe down non perishables. They isolate mail for days, then wipe it down before opening.

Yet they both contracted Covid, somehow. I’ve seen several patients contract it a second time several months apart from the first time. We just had a guy transfer into our hospital from another one he’d spent over a month in....he’d previously tested positive and was treated this past Summer, was negative throughout his stay at the other hospital, was negative the day before transferring to us, then on admit to us tested positive. The next day, we tested him again...he was negative. It’s a confounding virus that in many cases makes no sense in who it hits and how they respond to it, and IMHO there are too many false positives (and possibly false negatives) associated with testing.

Personally, I think it’s a bit off base to blast someone for poor self management when in many cases scientists can’t even reach a consensus on many aspects of the virus.

I think Frank needs to step down for his healths sake, but let’s not slam the guy for contracting a virus twice that’s truly still an enigma in many ways.

The end is coming. I just don't know when. Covid does give Ray an excuse to not make a move. And I am sure he would embrace that option as I figure he has no desire to go through another coaching search for the other major sport on campus after the debacle the last two football searched became. Not sure what he will do, but the easiest path would be for Frank to go to Ray and resign with some lower buyout than if he were fired. Frank looks awful. And let's all be real honest about the basketball program. There are no saviors coming in on the recruiting trail. It is just going to be more of the same thing that has been seen the last few seasons. They will win a couple against teams they shouldn't, and then lay eggs against teams they should handle. I don't see that changing. And the biggest issue is that it has been going on so long that apathy has set in with the fan base and are now almost accepting of the total mediocrity. But when there is a change then one has to wonder if Ray has the talent to bring in anybody that has a chance to do any better.

Your third sentence highlights the problem. Ray Tanner always searches for excuses to give coaches more chances. And all that ends up happening is that he allows them to drag the program down further. Never hire a coach as AD again. Never.

Also, not sure the "have to give him another year because of covid" holds for Frank Martin. I mean, i feel terrible he had covid and doesn't seem well. At the same time, he is in his 9th year at Carolina, has made 1 NCAA tourney, only had 5 winning seasons, and for 7 of the 9 seasons the team wasn't ranked for the entire year. And this year will probably finish at the literal bottom of the SEC.

“Poor self management”?

I work in a Covid ICU. A small percentage of the people infected lived in a way that one would expect them to catch the virus....”poor self management”, as you put it.

A shocking number of the positive people I’ve seen were practically hermits. They wore masks even inside their car. A wife would test positive, while her husband, who slept in the same bed, kissed her, had sex with her, and basically self isolated with her tested negative.

My next door neighbors are a retired couple. The wife has shaky lungs. Their son occasionally stays with them while being treated for cancer. His immune system is shot, so they stayed extremely careful. They are absolutely fanatical about social distancing, masks, and hand washing. Their groceries are delivered, they wipe down everything that’s perishable and isolate, then wipe down non perishables. They isolate mail for days, then wipe it down before opening.

Yet they both contracted Covid, somehow. I’ve seen several patients contract it a second time several months apart from the first time. We just had a guy transfer into our hospital from another one he’d spent over a month in....he’d previously tested positive and was treated this past Summer, was negative throughout his stay at the other hospital, was negative the day before transferring to us, then on admit to us tested positive. The next day, we tested him again...he was negative. It’s a confounding virus that in many cases makes no sense in who it hits and how they respond to it, and IMHO there are too many false positives (and possibly false negatives) associated with testing.

Personally, I think it’s a bit off base to blast someone for poor self management when in many cases scientists can’t even reach a consensus on many aspects of the virus.

I think Frank needs to step down for his healths sake, but let’s not slam the guy for contracting a virus twice that’s truly still an enigma in many ways.

We can agree to disagree. I agree that how some get it and some don't is a full mystery. But My point remains, two programs in the building, one with issues, one without. Heck our football team even did a really good job managing Covid.

Reactions: Lakecock1
Frank certainly does not look well, we can all agree on that. It looks like he doesn't have much energy. He used to pace all game, now he seldom gets up. I think his health is more important than coaching to him, as it should be. I think his mind wants to continue coaching but his body isn't so sure. I believe he will do some self evaluation this year after the season. My hope is that he will make the best decision for him . No matter what you think of him( and I believe he should retire), he needs to take care of his health.

Welcome to "I don't know WTF an AD does, but I am going to complain anyway" thread. All this while you are enjoying all the new facilities and upgrades to our athletic department, the improved academic performance and high academic ranking of our student athletes, the overall financial health of our athletic department (and NO the SEC money doesn't account for it all....simply look at all the other SEC schools that are having to cut athletic programs because of financial reasons), and absolutely zero problems with SEC or NCAA compliance, as well as Dawn Staley still being on staff after her alma mater came calling and offered to meet her salary, etc., etc.

And with regards to FM....another higher ranking individual in the university administration is impressed as heck with him.

Reactions: GamecockWarrior

Embarrassing.
That’s not what he’s saying.

And queue the "they all need more time" Carolina ok with mediocrity Tanner defenders in 3.....2......
Wasn’t Martin hired by Hyman? I don’t blame Ray for the current state of our basketball program. Does something need to be done about basketball? Absolutely! But last year we weren’t terrible. MBB had some dumb losses, but they beat clemson, beat Kentucky, and had a winning record in conference.
This year the team just tanked

Reactions: rogue cock
Wasn’t Martin hired by Hyman? I don’t blame Ray for the current state of our basketball program. Does something need to be done about basketball? Absolutely! But last year we weren’t terrible. MBB had some dumb losses, but they beat clemson, beat Kentucky, and had a winning record in conference.
This year the team just tanked

^^^Just another Gamecock fan that makes excuses for mediocrity.

Let's see here........Eric Hymen left USC 9 years ago. Ray Tanner has been USC AD for the past 9 years. Frank Martin has been the USC basketball coach for the last 9 years. And you still cant find responsibility in Ray Tanner for the condition of this current program in 2021????

Here is the thing about ADs. They cut their reputation not just on the hires they make but the firings they execute. Hiring is not an exact science. Any of us who have done it a lot of it know you win some, you lose some. The secret to a strong executive in the staffing part of their job is how they handle the hiring misses. Who takes action to correct course and who lets the underperforming stay around too long and pull the whole group further down. Any logical person knows which side Ray Tanner is on.

Welcome to "I don't know WTF an AD does, but I am going to complain anyway" thread. All this while you are enjoying all the new facilities and upgrades to our athletic department, the improved academic performance and high academic ranking of our student athletes, the overall financial health of our athletic department (and NO the SEC money doesn't account for it all....simply look at all the other SEC schools that are having to cut athletic programs because of financial reasons), and absolutely zero problems with SEC or NCAA compliance, as well as Dawn Staley still being on staff after her alma mater came calling and offered to meet her salary, etc., etc.

And with regards to FM....another higher ranking individual in the university administration is impressed as heck with him.

Anyone from the outside who wonders why our administration feels no pressure for our teams to perform better just needs to read this post.

Reactions: Lakecock1

You show me where that was due to the athletic department or failure of them to report or cooperate with the NCAA. And both of those punishments are so minor they are almost laughable.....and you'd hae to give our athletic department kudo's for the minimal punishment involved.

Reactions: GamecockWarrior
Anyone from the outside who wonders why our administration feels no pressure for our teams to perform better just needs to read this post.
Find me one AD...just ONE....who hasn't made a bad hire. As I previously noted, you have no clue what all the responsibilities of the AD are.....go volunteer in one if you really want to know.

I disagree with the supposed perception. There's not a fanbase in America that would sit still for this level of ineptitude or would criticize another program as sorry as we are for making a change.

I disagree with the supposed perception. There's not a fanbase in America that would sit still for this level of ineptitude or would criticize another program as sorry as we are for making a change.
Agree. The time for change is now. Maybe Martin will decide to not return due to “health issues” and the search for a new coach can begin.

Reactions: king ward
9 seasons and only two postseason appearances (NIT & NCAA Tourney). Keeping Frank on because of COVID is

9 seasons and only two postseason appearances (NIT & NCAA Tourney). Keeping Frank on because of COVID is just plain BS! But I digress, it is the Raayyy Garnet Way. 😡

Reactions: USC2USC
Oh, there is one fanbase that would and does sit still for this level of ineptitude.
Does anyone care to venture a guess as to who that fanbase would be ?

“Poor self management”?

This is good info...although, I think the conclusion I reach after reading it is that masks and social distancing have little to no effect on who ultimately contracts the virus? If people who live like hermits are still getting it, why all the ongoing space and mask requirements?

Oh, there is one fanbase that would and does sit still for this level of ineptitude.
Does anyone care to venture a guess as to who that fanbase would be ?
I do not believe that the majority of this fanbase is now of that mind. Firing Muschamp got it nudged in the right direction.

You show me where that was due to the athletic department or failure of them to report or cooperate with the NCAA. And both of those punishments are so minor they are almost laughable.....and you'd hae to give our athletic department kudo's for the minimal punishment involved.
We can agree on minimal but not “zero” as you were claiming.

I do not believe that the majority of this fanbase is now of that mind. Firing Muschamp got it nudged in the right direction.
Maybe not a majority. But definitely a sizable portion. Look how many people fought for Muschamp -- and against our fellow fans who saw him for what he was -- until the bitter end.

I think Frank is a good coach but it's time to move on. I know the argument is who can you find that is a better option. Who cares at this point. The administration has to see the swirling happening in the toilet bowl called men's basketball.

I predict you will see several transfers after this season and it will be a complete rebuild whether it's Frank or someone else. Give someone else a chance.

If we can't do better, for God's sake, shut the whole program down.

Frank's a great guy and all but he had one brief and shining moment. We do not owe him a lifetime contract.

Must make you feel foolish when wveryone ignores your atempt to stir the pot.

Find me one AD...just ONE....who hasn't made a bad hire. As I previously noted, you have no clue what all the responsibilities of the AD are.....go volunteer in one if you really want to know.

You seem to take offense to any critique of our in-over-his-head AD so I just assume you missed the part below of an earlier post of mine:

Here is the thing about ADs. They cut their reputation not just on the hires they make but the firings they execute. Hiring is not an exact science. Any of us who have done a lot of it know you win some, you lose some. The secret to a strong executive in the staffing part of their job is how they handle the hiring misses. Who takes action to correct course and who lets the underperforming stay around too long and pull the whole group further down. Any logical person knows which side Ray Tanner is on.

Ray let Muschamp stay around too long and the current condition of our football program is bad. We finished 2020 with the second worst record in the league. Ray Tanner let Martin stay around too long and the current condition of our basketball program is bad. We currently have the fewest wins of any team in our league. The result is large swaths of our fanbase are currently apathetic about Gamecock football and men's basketball. That is a really, really bad thing.

You can continue to make lame attempts to prop up your guy with inaccurate references to his fund raising prowess (thanks SEC), but those are facts that will never be different.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT