ADVERTISEMENT

(Warning Clemson related)We new this for yrs .

craneoperatr1_a_aol.com

Jul 27, 2006
North Charleston
offense when they face Clemson next season, at least if one ACC coach is to be believed.

A quote from an ACC assistant coach stood out to CoachingSearch.com managing editor Chris Vannini when he was looking through the Athlon Sports college football preview issue.

“They’ll steal your signals,” the coach said. “People don’t want to talk about it, but the teams that give them fits were NC State and Pitt, because they huddled.”

Before Alabama, Auburn and South Carolina fans feel they’ve uncovered the reason behind Clemson’s victories last season over their teams, it’s worth noting that the coach’s observation may not be fully on the mark. Kevin Flaherty of Clemson 247 notes that N.C. State scored only 17 points against the Tigers’ defense last season, putting up 397 yards of total offense. Pittsburgh, however, did score 43 points on 464 yards of offense.

Obviously, there are key details missing, notably how many times the anonymous ACC coach believes this happened. That said, word will likely get around to Auburn and South Carolina to be extra careful this fall.

Reactions: IrmoRed
I know it is Clemson and all, but stealing signals are part of the game. There is not a defensive coach in America that is not trying to figure out the signs coming in from the sideline. If you are dumb enough to repeat signals from game to game, then you deserve to have your signals stolen. That is on you.

This is also why Carolina sent Bentley to the sideline after every play. I would rather have the traditional WR run the plays in vs have the QB run back and forth, but it was the reason. It looked to me that Clemson was picking up plays versus Carolina based off of formation and pre-snap motion

I know it is Clemson and all, but stealing signals are part of the game. There is not a defensive coach in America that is not trying to figure out the signs coming in from the sideline. If you are dumb enough to repeat signals from game to game, then you deserve to have your signals stolen. That is on you.

This is also why Carolina sent Bentley to the sideline after every play. I would rather have the traditional WR run the plays in vs have the QB run back and forth, but it was the reason. It looked to me that Clemson was picking up plays versus Carolina based off of formation and pre-snap motion
I'm not too sure it really helped in that game either....

Reactions: griffgolf
Lol if we arent trying to decode sifns we suck, god we have morons here
I so wish you'd stop saying we. Why is it every dang time a Gamecock makes a point you call them out? I think the coaches points were valid. Why would anyone be a moron because he makes a point that another coach made who just might know a little more than you do? He was just quoting a coach genius. Stealing signals you might call just football but I call it cheating. You don't think they wouldn't cheat in other areas either? Slap yourself!

It's not football if it is happening it's cheating no matter who's doing it. Good teams don't need to steal signals they man up. Why do some Gamecock fans believe it to be OK to cheat?

Reactions: rogue cock

It didn't help us at all that Jake couldn't call an audible after seeing the defensive alignment.

They are obviously working harder than some others to win games. This story is a joke. If you aren't trying to figure our other people's signals, you are working hard enough. Been going on in every sport for decades.

I dont understand. QB audibles calling "check 2" and every time they call check 2, it is an inside draw. You cover up the middle and stop the play. It is not your fault that the other guys are telegraming the plays. Should you hum when he starts to audible to not get the signal?

Call it identifying signals and not stealing, does that sound better? It is all about tendencies. How is looking for how another team signals plays different than looking at film to see if the WR comes off hard on run plays or if a tackle is leaning on a pull. For that matter, how is it different that watching tape,back 5 years to see what a team does on 3rd and 8 inside their on 20 in the final 4 minutes of the first half, because that is the level of detail that goes into film study

I am not talking about taping practice or stealing play books or picking up transfers/coaches that were at your rival. I am talking about football between the lines. It is all fair between the lines

Ok, maybe I was wrong about it being Marty Simpson. Maybe it was Kimrey. But I remember one of them telling the story about it on the radio recently.

Reactions: Cyclone94
Stealing signals is as old as the game itself. If a player or coach is able to decipher that on certain plays when a signal is shown on the sideline and they run the same play every time, why on earth would you ignore that.
Any sport is all about keeping your opponent off balance and looking for tendencies to exploit, and not being complacent.

I just see it as part of game

In golf, if you lie on your scorecard or nudge a ball purposely to your advantage, you are a cheater. In college sports, if you give impermissible benefits to student athletes, you are a cheater.

In football or baseball if you steal signs, you are doing your job. Why else do teams try to conceal them with all the colorful boards with pics of pop culture celebrities, emojis, etc. The only time this would be cheating is if you do like the New England Patriots and you use technology to do it or if you are eavesdropping into on opposing teams headset communications.

Whoever this coach is who is whining needs to spend more time coming up with a better signs and less time being an anonymous source.

If figuring out other teams signals is cheating how come nobody ever gets in trouble for it. There is a lot of things I would love to see come out about Clemson cheating but this is nothing. Literally every team in the country at least tries to steal signals including us.

If figuring out other teams signals is cheating how come nobody ever gets in trouble for it. There is a lot of things I would love to see come out about Clemson cheating but this is nothing. Literally every team in the country at least tries to steal signals including us.
I'm not sure about the college level but in high school if one coaching staffs headphones go dead the other staff has to take theirs off. Stealing signals is cheating if you're going to steal signals why watch their game film? If it's not cheating why try to hide it?

I'm not sure about the college level but in high school if one coaching staffs headphones go dead the other staff has to take theirs off. Stealing signals is cheating if you're going to steal signals why watch their game film? If it's not cheating why try to hide it?
Cutting off the other teams headphones or listening in on them is cheating. Picking up on in game signals or tendencies isn't cheating. It has been documented that we have picked up on signals before (another poster mentioned against Clemson) and we used them as they should. Why do you think they watch so much film. And yes in college if one teams headphones go down the other team is supposed to lose theirs.

Some of you remind me of the players in the early days of baseball who felt that a curve ball was immoral because it was trying to dishonestly deceive the batter.

If an offense is doing such a cruddy job of hiding its signals and their meaning that the defense can figure it out, that's the offense's problem and we need to make sure they never join the CIA because they suck at covert ops.

It's not football if it is happening it's cheating no matter who's doing it. Good teams don't need to steal signals they man up. Why do some Gamecock fans believe it to be OK to cheat?
Pffft, the patriots steal signals, deflate footballs. They do whatever it takes. So does Clemson. It makes Dabo a hypocrite but we already knew that.

I cringe when I hear other teams may have been stealing our signals etc. Our coaches get paid top dollar to think of everything to continuously improve our football team. This includes disguising and changing signals. If we need to move to using the "Picture Boards" than so be it. You also need to be blocking signals being stolen from behind as well. All of these details need to be considered. You can't stop them from being stolen, but you can make it harder for the other team if they can't build a tendency database on you too easily.

I'm calling BS on this one. It is virtually impossible to steal signals from a halfway intelligent team. For one thing what signals are you going to steal? There are 3 or 4 guys on the sidelines making signals. Only one of them is the real one. You first would have to figure that out and then figure out what the signals are for which plays. That's not really something of great urgency to worry about.

I'm calling BS on this one. It is virtually impossible to steal signals from a halfway intelligent team. For one thing what signals are you going to steal? There are 3 or 4 guys on the sidelines making signals. Only one of them is the real one. You first would have to figure that out and then figure out what the signals are for which plays. That's not really something of great urgency to worry about.
Or watch them all on TV replay and game film see what play is run after watching all three signalers. If the team doesn't know the signals are being stolen odds are they won't change next week. It won't take you long to tell who's the real signal caller the next week after a few calls. Or just send a spy. JMO

Cheating would be stealing the other teams playbook. What exactly do you think teams are doing all week when they are doing film study? They are trying to pick up tendencies from formations, signals, etc. every single team does this and if the other team isn't trying to hide their tendencies that is on them.

Cheating would be stealing the other teams playbook. What exactly do you think teams are doing all week when they are doing film study? They are trying to pick up tendencies from formations, signals, etc. every single team does this and if the other team isn't trying to hide their tendencies that is on them.
NEWS FLASH: If they are stealing your signals they ARE stealing the play book. I know all about film study we're talking about stealing signals not X's and 0's.

Or watch them all on TV replay and game film see what play is run after watching all three signalers. If the team doesn't know the signals are being stolen odds are they won't change next week. It won't take you long to tell who's the real signal caller the next week after a few calls. Or just send a spy. JMO

Agree. Teams employ offensive and defensive analysts/consultants these days. What exactly do these guys do? They probably spend an inordinate amount of time watching film, and building a database on every team they play. Deciphering signals is probably one of those things along with studying tendencies and patterns.

NEWS FLASH: If they are stealing your signals they ARE stealing the play book. I know all about film study we're talking about stealing signals not X's and 0's.

Dude, you are losing this argument HARD. Just stop. It's an accepted part of the game. Don't let it happen to you.

NEWS FLASH: Other than Bobby Petrino stealing Wake's playbook, where has there been any mention of this? It's not in the article. And not in the thread until it was brought up as an example of what cheating would actually look like.

NEWS FLASH: Other than Bobby Petrino stealing Wake's playbook, where has there been any mention of this? It's not in the article. And not in the thread until it was brought up as an example of what cheating would actually look like.
This debate is going nowhere fast. I guess cheating or not cheating by stealing signals is in the eye of the beholder so I'll just move on.

So what your saying is if Muschamp and the players pick up tendencies and signals of the other team in film study they should call the other team mid week and tell them they have figured out their tales, signs, and tendencies before they play. If not they will be cheating

I cringe when I hear other teams may have been stealing our signals etc. Our coaches get paid top dollar to think of everything to continuously improve our football team. This includes disguising and changing signals. If we need to move to using the "Picture Boards" than so be it. You also need to be blocking signals being stolen from behind as well. All of these details need to be considered. You can't stop them from being stolen, but you can make it harder for the other team if they can't build a tendency database on you too easily.

Carolina was worried enough about this that Bentley ran to the sideline on every play. The problem was that theCarolina tendencies even without the signals were somewhat easily picked apart. I can think of one play in specific that Bowlware ran out to the sideline and was yelling for others to go over their too. We still ran it right at him. Smdh

Everybody steals signals, or tries to. Takes a lot of film work to figure out the signals, and who the hot guys is on the sidelines, but these programs seem to all have about 10 "analysts" these days. Would imagine a couple do nothing but that. But the bottom line is it is about players. Does anyone really think that Clemson dominated that game because they stole signals? Hardly.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT