ADVERTISEMENT

Was Kotsar's clutch jumper the biggest basket in Gamecock hoops history?

It might be the biggest shot. It was the best shot of the game. Like the article says, everyone saw Notice's dunk, the final dagger. But without that short jumper, the dunk may not happen. Florida may strip Sin in the paint and tie the game back up. That jumper put the game out of reach and forced Florida to start fouling. I said it before, it was essential to our victory.

It might be the biggest shot. It was the best shot of the game. Like the article says, everyone saw Notice's dunk, the final dagger. But without that short jumper, the dunk may not happen. Florida may strip Sin in the paint and tie the game back up. That jumper put the game out of reach and forced Florida to start fouling. I said it before, it was essential to our victory.
Who cares if he did not dunk it!

Reactions: Gamecock Lifer
If it is, it is only because he completely missed an uncontested layup minutes earlier while standing under the basket. Frank Martin even called a time out and lost it on him for missing.

I paused that as they jumped to the high point and it looked to me as if Joyce's hand was above Dedmon's. WOW! I was sitting on my living room couch with my beautiful wife of four years and I jumped as high as Joyce at 5' 8".

I'm getting a little tired of the ACC Championship comparisons. This is not the Hatfields and Mckoys, these are victories on a national stage. I know those games were bitter and hotly contested but they don't compare to what we're doing now, sorry.

I know it's humbling to admit we have 0 basketball history here but it's true. I can say though that the future is bright, we've broken through that glass ceiling and the sky is the limit from here forward.

I'm getting a little tired of the ACC Championship comparisons. This is not the Hatfields and Mckoys, these are victories on a national stage. I know those games were bitter and hotly contested but they don't compare to what we're doing now, sorry.

I know it's humbling to admit we have 0 basketball history here but it's true. I can say though that the future is bright, we've broken through that glass ceiling and the sky is the limit from here forward.
Could be; could be not; could be we don't see this again for a long time. Don't discount the best thing we have achieved ever prior to now, which was a significant accomplishment.

Reactions: atl-cock
Could be; could be not; could be we don't see this again for a long time. Don't discount the best thing we have achieved ever prior to now, which was a significant accomplishment.
If FM could do it at God forsaken Kansas St. out amid the blizzards and endless flat scenery, he can succeed here. I think he went to the tourney 4 out of 5 yrs there.
The other day when FM and the USC AD were together it seemed they were a little cool toward each other. FM doesn't have a lazy bone in his body. He's driven just like Boom.

Agreed. That sent us to the final 4.

Yeah, can we stop comparing this historic run to the 70s. That was small potatoes compared to this.

If FM could do it at God forsaken Kansas St. out amid the blizzards and endless flat scenery, he can succeed here. I think he went to the tourney 4 out of 5 yrs there.
The other day when FM and the USC AD were together it seemed they were a little cool toward each other. FM doesn't have a lazy bone in his body. He's driven just like Boom.
He's way more of a pro than his AD counterpart, and he probably knows it.

But it isn't as significant as what we're doing now. That's why some of us are tired of the comparisons.

That championship is ageless, both unprecedented and unrepeatable. And that shot represented the absolute final and decisive points scored in winning that championship. You can't minimize it however hard you try.

It's ancient history that is only relevant or even known really to older Gamecock fans. No one cares. That championship hasn't done us any favors.

It's ancient history that is only relevant or even known really to older Gamecock fans. No one cares. That championship hasn't done us any favors.
That might be one of the most absurd posts I've ever read on any subject at any time. And will you feel that way in 45 years if someone has occasion to write anything so dismissive of what we might be accomplishing at this time? History doesn't change because of what you don't acknowledge.

You don't have to minimize the ACC Championship to see that it's effect on Gamecock basketball to date has been minimal.

That might be one of the most absurd posts I've ever read on any subject at any time. And will you feel that way in 45 years if someone has occasion to write anything so dismissive of what we might be accomplishing at this time? History doesn't change because of what you don't acknowledge.

I don't know why you think it's absurd. Literally the only place I see people bringing up a championship from the 70s is here. Not on ESPN. Not talking amongst friends. No one else cares except the nostalgic on here.

45 years from now, none of this will be meaningful if we don't keep going back to the tournament and having similar success. It will be rendered irrelevant and moot by generations to come.

He's way more of a pro than his AD counterpart, and he probably knows it.
I agree. Tanner should have handled that incident with FM privately instead of publicly embarrassing him. If it happened again,then he could have gone the suspension route.
This.
Interesting how you refer to Ray Tanner here....
My forgettery misfired and I couldn't come up with his name.:)

Reactions: heavycock

co-sign

I don't know why you think it's absurd. Literally the only place I see people bringing up a championship from the 70s is here. Not on ESPN. Not talking amongst friends. No one else cares except the nostalgic on here.

45 years from now, none of this will be meaningful if we don't keep going back to the tournament and having similar success. It will be rendered irrelevant and moot by generations to come.
It actually will not. They don't have that power, just like you don't have it now. History is what it is.

Too much time left to play to be considered the greatest basket in GC history. We scored 10 more points after the basket. If anyone in the regular rotation other than Kotsar or Keita had made the basket, there wouldn't even be a discussion. Good shot, clutch basket, but not the greatest. Anyone who thinks that those old enough to remember the Joyce tip to Owens to win by 1 at the buzzer are "living in the past", and that the "oldtimers" don't realize that the Final Four is a really big deal, are full of it. I saw the ACC Championship win, and to me making the Final Four is easily a bigger deal. I just don't think Kotsar's basket is the greatest ever.

Reactions: king ward
Too much time left to play to be considered the greatest basket in GC history. We scored 10 more points after the basket. If anyone in the regular rotation other than Kotsar or Keita had made the basket, there wouldn't even be a discussion. Good shot, clutch basket, but not the greatest. Anyone who thinks that those old enough to remember the Joyce tip to Owens to win by 1 at the buzzer are "living in the past", and that the "oldtimers" don't realize that the Final Four is a really big deal, are full of it. I saw the ACC Championship win, and to me making the Final Four is easily a bigger deal. I just don't think Kotsar's basket is the greatest ever.
One should not and does not diminish the other. I appreciate that you also recognize the point about a decisive shot versus a contributive one, however helpful.

Jeez -- don't mention "broken" and "glass" in the same sentence around us old guys when discussing basketball. There's bad history there.

GarnetCocky1Member
New

He thinks it's absurd, because it is absurd. That tip and layup represents the ONLY Conference Tournament Championship in Carolina's History. Kotsar's shot just put us up by four...not nearly as significant.

Reactions: king ward
KSU is in THE Flint Hills. Actually a weird anomaly in the middle of the plains. I was an OTR guy....really strange.

That championship is ageless, both unprecedented and unrepeatable. And that shot represented the absolute final and decisive points scored in winning that championship. You can't minimize it however hard you try.

When did I ever attempt to minimize it? Don't put words in my mouth. Forget about Kotsar's shot. I'm simply saying that the significance and the comparisons between the teams in general don't add up. Final Four & National Championship banners will always mean more and have more impact on a program. It's common sense.

When did I ever attempt to minimize it? Don't put words in my mouth. Forget about Kotsar's shot. I'm simply saying that the significance and the comparisons between the teams in general don't add up. Final Four & National Championship banners will always mean more and have more impact on a program. It's common sense.
You're losing the battle and the war. You expressed yourself in a way that basically pissed on what those boys did in 1971. I've said all I need to say. Winning the championship of what was, even then, the most prestigious collegiate conference (ACC) on the very last shot we ever took in the league is a timeless moment. You need to rent a copy of Hoosiers. If you want to talk about the impact of a national championship, we'll do that on Tuesday. Over time, people forget the other participants.

Last edited:
Whether it was that basket or the tip-in in the ACC championship, I hope it gets topped tomorrow night and then again on Monday night!

You're losing the battle and the war. You expressed yourself in a way that basically pissed on what those boys did in 1971. I've said all I need to say. Winning the championship of what was, even then, the most prestigious collegiate conference (ACC) on the very last shot we ever took in the league is a timeless moment. You need to rent a copy of Hoosiers. If you want to talk about the impact of a national championship, we'll do that on Tuesday. Over time, people forget the other participants.

Get off my lawn!

Sorry I'm late to the party... I'm willing to call that play the greatest charge-avoidance in Gamecock hoops history. I was sure Thornwell was going to bowl over the defender -- to have the awareness and ability to stop on a dime and kick it back to Kotsar at that point in the game was so impressive. Kotsar knocking it down was the gravy, of course.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT