Was the 2012 Gamecock football team the best we ever had?

Discussion in 'Fighting Gamecocks Forum' started by Poultrygeist, Jul 13, 2019 at 12:23 PM.

1. Poultrygeist

Poultrygeist Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

That year we had Clowney, Lattimore (until he was injured), Shaw and Ellington. We beat Michigan, had the Clowney hit, and finished 8th in the polls at 11-2.

2. Horseshoe 04

Horseshoe 04 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

I honestly can’t pick between 11,12,13
    Not making Atlanta any of those years still haunts me but those tailgating seasons were incredible

3. Goose cock

Goose cock Member
    Expand Collapse

I think so. I think 2013 may have been slightly better in the passing game. Overall i think 2012 was the best team we have had. Those teams should have won a championship. It is a sin that they didn’t.

4. HOOVERCOCKFAN

HOOVERCOCKFAN Active Member
    Expand Collapse

I always thought '13 was out best team. Shaw was at the top of his game as a senior.

5. Goose cock

Goose cock Member
    Expand Collapse

6. lowcountry_cock13

lowcountry_cock13 Active Member
    Expand Collapse

I think 2012 for sure. Ace Sanders, DJ Swearinger. I think that was the year we dismantled Clemson at Clemson without Shaw or Lattimore and then they won the ACC. UGA also beat GT who played Clemson, so it wasn’t a very popular ACC title game, place looked empty. Good times, good times.

7. december2209

december2209 Member
    Expand Collapse

I think we finished in the top 5 the reason I remember I won $100 that they would.

Gamecockben1979 likes this.
  8. uscg1984

uscg1984 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

It's very hard to pick from those three teams, but I believe the best Gamecock team I ever saw was on that night in 2012 when they made a VERY VERY good Georgia team look like a SoCon team. That Georgia team only lost one other game, a squeaker to eventual national champion Alabama in the SEC Championship game. On their best night, that 2012 team would beat any other Gamecock team on their best night.

9. SLODAWG

SLODAWG New Member
    Expand Collapse

You'll be hard pressed to convince me SC has had a better team than the 2012 bunch. I was in Williams Brice the night they dismantled a very good Georgia team. A Georgia team, who had they beaten Bama in the SECCG, are probably national champs. To UGA's credit, there isn't a team in the country who would have beaten SC that night.

10. lostcock

lostcock Active Member
    Expand Collapse

Each had their strengths, but I always reminisce that 2013 was the best and was literally 2 points away from Atlanta, and we win that, we’re in Pasadena. Think of Clowney going 100% all year, Lattimore being on the field, Ace staying like he should have. That’s the part I’ll never get over, and that’s exactly what Auburn did considering they lost early to LSU like we did UGA, maybe even the same day, but, they beat Tennessee 55-24 iirc that year like we should have. I think SOS’ coaching in that game makes me madder than him quitting. Imagine for a minute what happens if we make it to the MNC, even if we lose? SOS can go out almost on top, even though the fans would go nuclear, and we’re the 2nd best job (at least) in the country. I gotta be honest here, those few teams not playing for a big piece of the pie will always blow, and it’s hard to even get excited for me personally anymore because I wanted those specific players to do it. Yeah, I’d be happy if we did it anytime soon, but it would be the same. Just like the Final Four team, just like the 2010-12 Yardcox that did win it all. Great group(s) of Gamecocks, and some of the best individual players ever in their respective sport(s).

uscnoklahoma2 and IH8FATBRAD like this.
  11. vacock#

vacock# Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

One year with Spurrier we finished 4th ! I think that should be considered our best year. Wasn’t that the year before he quit?

Carolina4 likes this.
  12. Horseshoe 04

Horseshoe 04 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

It took him one more year to type the resignation and Dylan Thompson threw his way to one more bowl win. Nuclear Meltdown went official 2015, this is the only reason I call 2016 year zero for Muschamp

13. Carolina4

Carolina4 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

We finished 4th in, both, the AP and Coaches Poll in 2013. Honestly, this was the closest we’ve ever come to winning a National Title. FSU beat Auburn in the National Championship. If not for a fluke catch in Knoxville, we would’ve played Auburn in Atlanta for a chance to play in Pasadena for the title.

The 2012 team was awesome, no doubt. Brutal 3-game stretch of UGa, @ LSU, and @ Florida was virtually impossible to get through unbeaten. If we had gone 2-1 in that stretch, they probably get the top spot. Instead, 1-2 and a 3rd place finish in the East.

I guess Head to Head at their best, I may take the 2012 team over the 2013 team. But as far as our best season, that’s the 2013 team.

13 Carolina4, Jul 13, 2019 at 9:55 PM
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2019 at 10:01 PM
  14. zack#

zack# Active Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

11-12 or 13 one of those teams should have been national champs.

Goose cock and IH8FATBRAD like this.
  15. DeepfriedCock

DeepfriedCock Member
    Expand Collapse

Hard to believe the best 3 year run we don't have anything to show for it. Not even a trip to Atlanta.

76MACC and Art__Vandelay like this.
  16. IH8FATBRAD

IH8FATBRAD Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

We had those teams and people say it's impossible for us to do well again.

17. Goose cock

Goose cock Member
    Expand Collapse

17 Goose cock, Jul 14, 2019 at 11:10 AM
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2019 at 11:20 AM
  18. Art__Vandelay

Art__Vandelay Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

I personally think 2012. The Georgia game cements that for me.

It is interesting how 2011 never gets any love in this debate. That team beat eventual ACC Champion, Clemson by 3 scores. Bad loss at Auburn at home kept us from playing Alabama to go to ship that year probably.

19. _NOVA_

_NOVA_ Active Member
    Expand Collapse

2011 is probably the biggest what if. That team still had Gilmore, Ingram, and Alshon. Lattimore was healthy. Added Clowney. Schedule was very favorable. The worst thing that happened was Shaw struggling against ECU and Spurrier having to go back to Garcia, even though Shaw was the better player. Took Garcia having an abysmal game against Auburn before he went back to Shaw.

We only got one full game of healthy Lattimore and Shaw together after Spurrier installed Shaw as the unquestioned starter, and it was a 54-3 drubbing of Kentucky.

20. FrankiegoestoDollywood

Expand Collapse

Going back in time a little bit but the 84 and 87 teams were really good. Everybody knows the 84 team had the inexplicable loss to Navy but the 87 team lost all 4 games to ranked teams on the road or a neutral site.

uscnoklahoma2 likes this.
  21. Goose cock

Goose cock Member
    Expand Collapse

Those teams would lose by double digits to any of the the 2011-2013 teams.

funktavious likes this.
  22. FrankiegoestoDollywood

Expand Collapse

Not so fast,that 87 team lost to two teams on the road that were both ranked 2nd in the nation at the time and both games were by single digits

23. Goose cock

Goose cock Member
    Expand Collapse

Sorry, but the lines of scrimmage would have been a mismatch.

24. FrankiegoestoDollywood

Expand Collapse

Maybe so,the 2012 team was sitting at #3 in the polls until back to back losses to LSU and Florida ,both on the road of course.

25. chucktowncock

chucktowncock Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

agreed...

even with the jomo steroids

go cocks!

Proudcock likes this.
  26. CockStein

CockStein Member
    Expand Collapse

The v UGA, @ LSU, @ Swamp stretch still pisses me off.