ADVERTISEMENT

Was Tubby given (or not given) a fair shake @ Memphis?

They knew he wasn't going to do it. He wasn't recruiting well enough - only two committed for next year - one a three-star, one a no-star.

Tubby should have stopped being offered jobs about 5 years ago. He's been stealing money. Time to move on and give Penny a chance.

'Fair" is a 4 letter word...Life was never meant to be fair...Life is a series of challenges that seperate the weak from the strong... Memphis fired him for opportunity... Penny Hardeway an alum, is availible..He is a highly successful HS and AAU HBC... Hardeway's AAU team has 3 of the top 26 players in the 2020 class...The deal is we hire you.. You bring all 3 studs with you..The gamble is after those 3 one and done kids are gone, Penny Hardeway can reload

Attendance was way down, 48 year low, Tubbs was bringing in Juco's, not building, didnt even know where the president's office was, the more i read, I see why they made a move

2016-2017 lost 6 games to end the season including the worst loss in 70 years to end a season by 30

"Tubby Smith emerged from the elevator within the University of Memphis Administration Building at 11:32 a.m. on Wednesday and realized he was on the wrong floor.

Accompanied by his attorney, Smith found the nearest open door and asked for directions to the office of university president M. David Rudd. Then, he climbed the one flight of stairs left between him and his fate as the Memphis men's basketball coach"

"Attendance at home games fell to a 48 year low this year. As a result, the athletic department could miss out on an $800,000 payment from the Memphis Grizzlies as part of the school’s lease at FedExForum."

I don't pretend to know all the particulars, and I'm not attempting to defend Tubby, but he just won 21 games.
Would make one surmise that his firing was based on internal disagreements with the adminstration, whatever they may have been

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT