ADVERTISEMENT

Watched the game again onTV.....you can see it in Spurrier's expression....

joedcock

Jan 2, 2004
he just does not seem happy or into it at all anymore.....this is my opinion...but watch the game again and you can see exactly what I am talking about.

he just does not seem happy or into it at all anymore.....this is my opinion...but watch the game again and you can see exactly what I am talking about.
It seems like his mind has been somewhere else, or on something else for the last three years or longer.
I have said here for two years that he had already retired, he just hasn't left yet. It has become increasingly obvious over that period of time, at least to me. you have to have that fire in the belly to be a highly successful College Coach these days. I do not believe his heart is in it anymore.

I sat in a room with close to 30 recruits and their families Saturday before the game. He looked as energized and as up beat as anyone else in the room. He, Coach Tanner, the Academic folks, the character coach (chaplain) all addressed the crowd with excitement, positive, and all seemed to reach out to each young man and their family to make them feel like they were wanted. I know that's something most people don't get to see, however, it was real, it was as real as it gets from a man who has been doing this as long as I've been alive. I realize most don't get an opportunity like this, but it was well worth it. I just wish he had run the ball a little more in the red zone.

I sat in a room with close to 30 recruits and their families Saturday before the game. He looked as energized and as up beat as anyone else in the room. He, Coach Tanner, the Academic folks, the character coach (chaplain) all addressed the crowd with excitement, positive, and all seemed to reach out to each young man and their family to make them feel like they were wanted. I know that's something most people don't get to see, however, it was real, it was as real as it gets from a man who has been doing this as long as I've been alive. I realize most don't get an opportunity like this, but it was well worth it. I just wish he had run the ball a little more in the red zone.

Thanks for sharing, great post

And Mitch's body language told us last year that he wouldn't cut it.

Oops. Failed sarcasm.

I said this a few months ago but it bears repeating. I know the family of a four star that we were recruiting. The kid is out of state and I don't think anyone believed we had a chance to get him, but nevertheless on his recruiting visit Spurrier spent a good half hour one on one talking to his dad and selling the university. His dad told me that Spurrier gave off the vibe that he was going to be here for at least the next four years and that he was going to get the Cocks back to 10+ win seasons. Everyone says Spurrier has lost his fire. I don't think so and all it will take are a few breaks going our way to turn this thing around. The D that played the second half of both of our games can beat anyone, and I liked what I saw with Orth. Let's play the games before we concede defeat. Go Cocks Beat GA.

Curious - Would you have come to this conclusion had an 18-22 yo not made an ill-advised pass and we went onto score a TD giving us a 3 pt win?

Reactions: jonesz21
I said this a few months ago but it bears repeating. I know the family of a four star that we were recruiting. The kid is out of state and I don't think anyone believed we had a chance to get him, but nevertheless on his recruiting visit Spurrier spent a good half hour one on one talking to his dad and selling the university. His dad told me that Spurrier gave off the vibe that he was going to be here for at least the next four years and that he was going to get the Cocks back to 10+ win seasons. Everyone says Spurrier has lost his fire. I don't think so and all it will take are a few breaks going our way to turn this thing around. The D that played the second half of both of our games can beat anyone, and I liked what I saw with Orth. Let's play the games before we concede defeat. Go Cocks Beat GA.
Most of these comments come fron fans that are wannabee coaches. Like i said few days ago we need couple players on both sides of ball to step up or go recruit them. You don't need 15 4 stars to be competitve

Steve has always worn his emotions on his sleeve. When things are going good he's up, when they're not, he's down. IMO, I don't think he's checked out, but I think he knows that he's gonna need some help to win 8 games or so this year. I think you guys will return to 10 wins plus in a year or two. He needs to get another good/great QB and you will be fine. I'm still surprised he has not been able to get a true highly touted gunslinger out of high school yet. Shaw was that underrated guy that was a great QB that showed what he can do if he has someone talented. Thompson had some talent and if your defense hadn't been awful, don't think you would've skipped a beat last year. This year, your QBs don't look as good. Don't know what you've got coming in, but if he gets another Shaw type, you'll be top ten again.

I watched the game again finally (I was at the game so hard to tell from the stands) and Coach Spurrier is clearly into it but is mad we lost. That is VERY clear.

Reactions: cockgun

Another mind reader in our midst. I guess he was slamming his headset for show too.

You can't hide stupid.

I was fortunate enough to make a few recruiting trips from 2088 -2013 and I can't imagine anyone would think this man would fathom sticking around if his heart wasn't in it. He was always excited, gave great speeches...mostly about the importance of earning a degree and selling the university...but always stressed that he came to USC for the challenge (and always saying that everything is in place), to win a championship and that he wouldn't be satisfied until we did. He was always personable every time I've ever been fortune enough to talk with him, and it's glaringly obvious he loves talking to potential players. He even brought up plays or stats to some players I was with that really shocked those kids knowing that Spurrier even heard about them.

Too bad the fact is that not a lot of people on this board ever get to experience that. They only go by what they read, interviews (which is obvious Spurrier isn't crazy about) and what they hear other people say.

Which doesn't bother me in the least. I know if the man ever gets to the point he thinks he can't do it any longer or if he ever hits a point that he thinks he can't take USC higher, he'll step away. He's still here because he still believes in the program and he still believes he can get it done. Simple as that.

Reactions: Anna_Nimmitty

Thanks for sharing some inside FACTS instead of "reading minds' "tea leaves" " body posture" "facial expressions" or whatever is the " thing" of the day. Anybody that really knows the truth knows that Coach Spurrier and this whole staff has busted their butts in carrying the University of South Carolina message to our recruits and their families. Some just refuse to believe it because it appears they have a different agenda. Thank God for fans like you who can factually "set the record straight."

He's not into it. You don't have to watch him on the sidelines. Just look at how he's recruited the last couple of years, how he's allowed some worthless assistants to hang around and the 1-2 year comment, along with his wife talking him into staying. He's out of here.

He's not into it. You don't have to watch him on the sidelines. Just look at how he's recruited the last couple of years, how he's allowed some worthless assistants to hang around and the 1-2 year comment, along with his wife talking him into staying. He's out of here.
Jeri would not do that. She's not that lady! I sat in his office back during the summer before the big recruiting thing they had at the Strom. He doesn't mince words, he doesn't kiss A$$, he tells kids that we want them without lying to them or promising them something that he can't come through on, that they can get a quality education, stay in state (if he's an instate kid) and that they will prepare them for life, NFL (if he has that talent) and make him a better man. He encourages them to take all their visits, enjoy the process because they only get to do it once. Then, for them to make their decision. He is into it, he is working hard and he does personally recruit every young man we have. Does that mean he has an in-home with all of them, probably not. But, I know he had an in office visit with every young man that came to that event over the summer.

Yeah, sure like he was here to greet Chubbs on his visit. Don't care what you say, he's out of here. Not the Spurrier that started here. His mind is in Florida and the golf course. If Spurrier Jr. had got a job last year, he would have left.

You can see it on the scoreboard and recruiting trail as well.

Ridiculous. You folks really need to,stop posting BS and trying to hurt the program, recruiting if you really are Gamecock fans.

you just have to remember, if these people could really read minds, and judge people's facial expressions, they would be gazillionares.

if you guys were that smart, you would have been studying janet yellen's face. know ahead of time if she is going to raise interest rates or not, then bet the farm. get a track record, then charge me for the information. but in fact, spurrier, knows people are watching his facial expressions, and changing them up. toying with you like a bunch of kids.

Comments like that of the OP provide fodder for additional negative comments by others that welcome any opportunity to trash the Gamecocks, South Carolina, Spurrier, recruiting, the team, the University, Columbia, southern weather, the United States and 'bout else in the western hemisphere.
It's total BS and psychological babble opined by a self-appointed 'body-language' guru simply running off at the mouth with absolutely nothing positive to say and no intention of saying anything positive even if he knew how.
Picture sitting on a porch at the local old-folks home while the ninnies go 'round the circle taking turns describing their various ills and that's the image too many with too little to do hope to project for others regarding South Carolina football.
It's a minor distraction and a total disgrace but reality is we live with a world full of whiners, moaners and whailers and woe be it unto everyone else if we can't 'see' what they see, these 'well-meaning' (yea, right) doctors of doom.
Deliver me, lawdy does this stuff get old.
These cartographers believe the world is flat and they ain't 'bout to go near the edge, while the destiny for any who dare sail towards the horizon is one of certain despair.
I don't believe in demons or the tooth-fairy nor do I choose to see the glass half empty with evaporation the inevitable end. We will always have among us the frail and meek, it's to each of us to decide for ourselves how we want to see the world; as one of opportunity or one of insurmountable challenges. Point me towards the peak.

Reactions: bitemeiptay

You know, I try to defend you every now and then because I honestly believe you're a Gamecock fan.

And every now and then you go and spout off something stupid like this that you heard, read, or dreamed up and that you have no way of backing up...and is the senseless type shit that pisses me off about fans that appear to not give a damn about the program.

Are you hoping the team loses 7 or more games so Spurrier will leave just so you can sit back and say "told ya so"?

And since you threw it out there...and even though I know you can't support it with any solid evidence...maybe you'll be man enough to let us all know where you got this info that Jerri had to talk Steve into staying.Yes...I'm calling you out on it. And before you post some BS about somebody you know that's "in the know" then spill it and tell us how they're in the know and in what capacity.

I swear to God I don;t know why any FAN would post stupid shit like this on a free message board knowing that whether or not recruits read it here it will get to them via opposing fans that DO read the board. And how can a fan post anything as dumb as this that is pure speculation without thinking it won't have a negative affect is even more mind boggling.

Then again, the world is full of dumb-asses. And USC's fan base surely has it's share!

Damn...just damn!!!

Reactions: SportsSuites1

I have to respectfully disagree with this. He has always worn a pained expression, even when UF was winning big, he would sling the visor, frown and look awfully upset. The man is 70, or very close, every little line that was there 10 years ago has grown. I think you are wrong about him.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT