ADVERTISEMENT

Watson / Nunez showdown

MANAFOLD

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2004
coming to Willy Brice in November. Might just turn out that our boy is better. I know he is bigger, faster and more physical. He is a better runner, more athletic. Not so sure who has the better arm. Want to remind everyone that each week Nunez must play against better competition but on the other hand, this makes him stronger and he will get better coaching than Watson whose mentor is the young kid who was the third string QB just a few years ago at Clemson. The one thing Watson has much more of than Lo is all the Tater hype.

Let's not get carried away. Nunez looked better and better as the game wore on against lowly UCF. No one despises Clemson more than me, but even I will admit Watson's carrying a gun on him, and he also has more weapons to throw to or run with than Nunez.

The Clemson game is a million years away from now. Mizzou is the pivot point of the whole season. Let's keep our eyes on that ball.

coming to Willy Brice in November. Might just turn out that our boy is better. I know he is bigger, faster and more physical. He is a better runner, more athletic. Not so sure who has the better arm. Want to remind everyone that each week Nunez must play against better competition but on the other hand, this makes him stronger and he will get better coaching than Watson whose mentor is the young kid who was the third string QB just a few years ago at Clemson. The one thing Watson has much more of than Lo is all the Tater hype.
I agree Lorenzo is a better runner and is physically bigger... But Watson is clearly a superior passer right now.

Reactions: cockynSC66
Right now, it's our pass defense that gives any opposing QB the edge. We've got a lot of improving to do if Lorenzo stands a chance of "looking" better than Watson.

Senior year In high school:

Nunez had 68 completions (@ 48% / 2 TDs)

Watson had 273 completions (@ 67% / 47 TDs)

How about lets calm down here guys. I am excited about Nunez's potential but he is in a totally different echelon with regard to passing than Watson.

Reactions: jonalexand1

Not that I don't enjoy a good debate... but your guy is listed at 6'-3" 210 lbs and Watson is listed at 6'-2" 210 lbs. Are you really parsing an argument over 1" -LOL?

I am glad to have Zo as our QB but to say that he might be better than Watson is a BIT OVERBOARD. Watson has the better arm and is more consistent passer as of now which is a LARGE part of playing that position. I would think most gamecocks that could take off their garnet colored glasses for two seconds would agree that if given the opportunity to have Watson under center for us they would all but give their testicles to get him.

Reactions: GCock47
Has anyone won the Heisman after starting 4 games in? Have to look that up. . . .

QUOTE="MANAFOLD, post: 843857, member: 5684"]coming to Willy Brice in November. Might just turn out that our boy is better. I know he is bigger, faster and more physical. He is a better runner, more athletic. Not so sure who has the better arm. Want to remind everyone that each week Nunez must play against better competition but on the other hand, this makes him stronger and he will get better coaching than Watson whose mentor is the young kid who was the third string QB just a few years ago at Clemson. The one thing Watson has much more of than Lo is all the Tater hype.[/QUOTE]

Woah now, let's slow our roll on this...

This^^^^^^^^^

Watson has the better arm at this point.......jury still out on who will be the best qb during their careers. Watson is a good qb.......tater or not.

One thing everyone needs to consider........the fact that the taters have a good wide receiver corp, and the fact Watson is dangerous in the passing game, and they have a good running game, makes Watson a much more dangerous runner cause defenses can't key on any one thing. D's know Nunez is going to run the ball so easier to defend. Not an ability thing, just the tater O is more advanced at this point IMO. Maybe not in November, but for now they are.

Watson has ran his offense for five years. Zo two monthes.He had no playmakers in high school and damn few now. Watson hasn't showed he can play six games. He would suck if he didn't hold the advantage. But by the last game he (Zo) should be much improved. Watson, well smart money says he'll be in a hot tub.

Reactions: GamecockJL

while i admit i am in the "lets slow our roll" on this camp. i love your attitude. its a breath of fresh air around here.

Though in different classes, I'm not aware of any recruiting service that ranked Nunez higher than they had Watson the previous year. So, coming into college, Watson was unquestionably rated the better prospect. Looking at their play, thus far, Nunez is the better runner and probably stronger and more durable. But, Watson's edge as a passer, both in arm strength and in accuracy, is wide. I would take Watson as my QB, between the two, without hesitation. And I take a backseat to no one in despising Clemson.

Reactions: GCock47
Watson is a very good QB and he has a very strong arm.

He's also the unquestioned starter on a top 15 team.

I like Nunez so far but he's playing because the starter got injured.

Reactions: Pruittmatt44
I like the attitude too. But I have been around. Clemson at this point has the better overall team. I am willing to fist fight anybody who says I am wrong. Just remember, I am 63 so I know the short cuts!

I like your enthusiasm Manafold but lets let Nunez develop into a great QB that we want him to be. He has the natural talent and football IQ to be very good. Game experience and time will make him a superb QB that can compete with the likes of Deshawn Watson or whoever. Right now we need the rest of the offense to step up their game too.

Reactions: cockgun
They can have Watson. If Nunez stays healthy I'll take his talents over the next 3 1/2 years. He will get stronger as time goes on & getting more 1st team reps will help his timing with the WR's. Watson has more talent to work with on offense right now & Nunez is still undeveloped but his ceiling is high & potential is great. I don't care how good some of you think Watson is, I'll pass on a player whose injury prone.

We have one WR.

We're putting a ton of pressure on Nunez.

Let's see how he handles it on Saturday.

I like the attitude too. But I have been around. Clemson at this point has the better overall team. I am willing to fist fight anybody who says I am wrong. Just remember, I am 63 so I know the short cuts!
you are my new favorite poster

Reactions: cockgun
Watson's best days are behind him. He doesn't run NEARLY as well now, his 'gun' is fine on the short throws but he's been way-off from his prior accuracy ... I don't know if his problem is physical or mental but he has definitely gone backwards.
Nunez will get better. He runs 'instinctively' - that gallop around left end slowing to use his blocker to 'interfere' with (not block) the UCF safety then cutting off his hip after the safety committed inside to go outside and gain another 14 yards was a thing of beauty ... it looked like a Walter Peyton move. He 'starts and stops' like Freddie Solomon used to do and very few runners have that kind of control/use of speed/ fineness.
Nunez's arm strength looks OK but to me he seems to have some kind of 'hitch' in his throwing motion although his passes LOOK good in the air.
The 30-yarder for a TD to Cooper was a flick of the wrist, THAT was an excellent throw. But he threw a 55-foot fastball on his first sideline toss, which to me just looked like nerves.
That dropped pick on his first pass was clearly a miscommunication with his receiver, who broke to the post after Nunez had already let it go on an 'out' ... it made him 'look bad' but the pass was actually a GOOD one - we just didn't have anybody within 25-yards of where it came down!

I do think Nunez is a better 'athlete' - there's no doubt he's bigger, stronger and faster. clemson's no 'top 15' football team as another poster previously wrote and that will be evident after Saturday night. Watson looked like he could 'carry' a team LAST YEAR but he's under performed in 2015. If it's not his knee it's his finger or his collarbone 'cause SOMETHING is bothering him this season. He ain't the same guy he was last year and I'm afraid he's gonna' get whacked once too often 'fore he makes it to WB. I'd bet it's 50/50 he'll go down and not get up for some reason before we see 'em in Columbia.

Won't be a showdown. Our defense can't play good enough for 4 quarters.

The only category I rank Watson higher is the passing game. I don't think Watson has a stronger arm ,no, not at all. More polished because of experience.Another misleading stat for Watson is his completion percentage. Sure it's high but most passes he throws are quick short passes not over 5-10 yards. Short space passes if you will. As for being a pure athlete, Nunez wins hands down.

Also remember, it's always hard to compare any Clemson player with any SEC player because of the quality of the competition or lack thereof.

Nunez may not even be our starting QB by the end of the Missouri Game. You all know how Spurrier operates. If Nunez throws a couple of interceptions, we'll see Scar as QB next, then everyone will talking about how great he is.
Fact is, Nunez is a really good athlete but so is Pharoh Cooper. Cooper played QB in high school but is not suited for QB in the SEC.
Nunez was recruited even while knowing he was not a great passer in H.S. He was primarily a runner. Spurrier just mentioned a day or so ago that he wished Nunez would throw more accurate passes in practice. I'm afraid all this hype may have him trying to do more than he is capable of doing. That will result in interceptions.

Reactions: Dbatz
Much wishful thinking ITT. We really don't yet know just what we have in Nunez.

Hey, why can't we hype our guy like Dabo and Clemson hype Watson? You really believe Watson is as good as advertised?

Also remember, it's always hard to compare any Clemson player with any SEC player because of the quality of the competition or lack thereof.

With all due respect, Nunez has played against UCF, not SEC quite yet other than 5 pass in a game that was out of hand, but he will get his chance. Your argument just does not make sense yet. Step out and like good this week and we can talk about potential.

Put the crack pipe down, they are going to destroy us. Everyone wants to talk trash about Dabo and Clemson instead of worrying about the sad state of our program.

Reactions: CockyOneStraight
Clemson hyped Tajh and where is he? Somewhere in Canada. Watson has a very good OL. Do we? Tiggers haven't played anyone. Call me tonight after 11PM and let's see how they did against a beat up Irish team. I think the orange guys will be all wet late tonight. Dabo may have to dance for his supper, not to celebrate. I thought Tommy Bowden was a tool, but they proved they could go much further down the gene pool in order to replace him

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT