ADVERTISEMENT

WAY OT: Did anyone live in Awendaw during Hugo?

ShaneCocks

Gold Member
Aug 30, 2001
North Carolina
My grandmother lived on Shellmore Lane (next to Buckhall boat landing) and lost her house in the 20 foot storm surge.. Curious if anyone actually stayed that night.

Our family story was.. my grandmother left at 4 and my grandfather finally left at 8.. the hurricane hit at midnight. All that was left was pylons and the remnants of their house was scattered close to a mile behind its original location..

I have friends that stayed on James Island. My uncle was an English Professor at CofC at that time. They took the kids to Rock Hill but he and my aunt were back as soon as they let people back into town. They had to stay at his office at CofC for a few weeks because they couldn't really get to their house West Ashley.

My memory of Hugo was that there was obviously a lot of damage on the coast but it was moving very fast . I lived in York SC during Hugo. About 30 minutes southeast of Charlotte , I would guess. Hugo did a LOT more damage inland than it did on the coast. It was an amazing storm!

BTW, I though there had already been a Hurricane Florence. Do they use a list that wraps? Or am I wrong about hurricane Florence already being used.

My memory of Hugo was that there was obviously a lot of damage on the coast but it was moving very fast . I lived in York SC during Hugo. About 30 minutes southeast of Charlotte , I would guess. Hugo did a LOT more damage inland than it did on the coast. It was an amazing storm!
You're FROM York?? Gotta know the honest answer now!

BTW, I though there had already been a Hurricane Florence. Do they use a list that wraps? Or am I wrong about hurricane Florence already being used.
Florence was one of the original (female) names.

The first Hurricane Florence came in 1953.

The 2018 storm is 5th time it has been used.

Good luck.

Reactions: EssoClub2
I lived in Mt. Pleasant during Hugo and it was a shit storm. I had family in McClellanville which was ground zero. I would suggest if you live down on the coast to get out. I wouldn't want to go through again.

No, not from York. But worked in Rock Hill and lived in York several years. I am from the Capital City , St Andrews area to be precise.
Oh yeah I remember now. You And I discussed that many moons ago. Lived in St. Andrews myself for a few months.

Was just curious. Hope all is well widcha.

Reactions: EssoClub2
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT