ADVERTISEMENT

way past time rebrand the athletic teams

77gamecocks

Nov 13, 2003
Suggestions:
We should strive to be recognized nationally as "South Carolina". Only our school's teams can absolutely OWN that name, unlike "Carolina", or "USC". Exclusively use the name "South Carolina" rather than "Carolina", on all of our team jerseys, hats, etc.
I suggest we use the baseball team style interlocking SC logo for all of our sports teams. This SC logo represents a new attitude and a winner. It will also look great on our football teams' helmets. The block C has been great for a long, long time, but it's time for a rebrand.
Adopt a new fight song. Music based on the tune to "Step To The Rear"? Brought to us in the 70's by Paul Dietzel? We need something about getting fired up and marching to the TOP.
Sorry if this ruffles the feathers of diehard conservative fans, but it has been on my mind for a long while. Bring the hate if you want, it's OK. I love our school and Gamecock athletics. I graduated from U of South Carolina. Sometimes change is good.

Suggestions:
We should strive to be recognized nationally as "South Carolina". Only our school's teams can absolutely OWN that name, unlike "Carolina", or "USC". Exclusively use the name "South Carolina" rather than "Carolina", on all of our team jerseys, hats, etc.
I suggest we use the baseball team style interlocking SC logo for all of our sports teams. This SC logo represents a new attitude and a winner. It will also look great on our football teams' helmets. The block C has been great for a long, long time, but it's time for a rebrand.
Adopt a new fight song. Music based on the tune to "Step To The Rear"? Brought to us in the 70's by Paul Dietzel? We need something about getting fired up and marching to the TOP.
Sorry if this ruffles the feathers of diehard conservative fans, but it has been on my mind for a long while. Bring the hate if you want, it's OK. I love our school and Gamecock athletics. I graduated from U of South Carolina. Sometimes change is good.

We shall never cede “Carolina” to UNCheat.

I like it. We have very little tradition and name recignition. Hell, look at ESPN, they can't even get pur team name right. Put up SC state logo, talk about Miss St vs Michigan. Most people cannot tell what our logo is with the gamecock and where the eyes and beak are on the artwork. Most people outside the state of SC think Carolina is UNC. And most think USC is Southern Cal. ESPN and FOX use USC for Southern Cal and they normally use UNC for the tar heels.

I like the interlocking SC. It is who we are and it can be a fresh new look that all will know across the country.

Block C logo all the way. Interlocking baseball logo has already been lost in court. I could be wrong but Southern California is "allowing" us to use it.

Reactions: BigTomE
When did we.lose the interlocking SC. Was that a sports center thing or something? If so why not tweak it a little bit.

Respect the OP opinion and agree we need makeover, but would rather trip back in time. I wish we'd use those 1970s helmets with the Gamecock on it.
Seriously, I like old school looks, it speaks of tradition and permanence. Give me Bama, Penn State, Georgia Southern, Southern Cal, Notre Dame --- and Carolina before 2000s.

Some schools come out looking like rejects from the XFL.

Is this like when UNC Wilmington insisted that our radio station call them UNCW all weekend?

Nothing says pride like changing the fight song and conceding nicknames in an attempt to gain notoriety.

The block C does look below average on apparel, but it's such a part of the identity.

Reactions: cockhornleghorn
I liked the interlocking USC logo that Holtz introduced. Just as a secondary logo.

Bring back the big state outline at center court like at the Coliseum and I'd be happy.

Didn't Lou do away with "step to the rear" when he was here? Seems like I remember something about that.

I think all sports teams should wear a small plume of rooster feathers in the tail bone area scented with uric acid from actual roosters.

I love the Block C. I'm open to some ideas as long as the Block C stays. I wish the baseball team would use it.

I think all sports teams should wear a small plume of rooster feathers in the tail bone area scented with uric acid from actual roosters.

I love the Block C. I'm open to some ideas as long as the Block C stays. I wish the baseball team would use it.
That would be outstanding for Staley's team :eek:

Suggestions:

I am a CU fan so have hardly a platform from which to answer a question like this. But as an outsider looking in who would like to see SC succeed at a rate only a half step behind CU, I think this has some very valid points. To continue to fight NC and Southern Cal over a abreviations already owned by them in the public mind is a losing propostion, I think. We can think 'USC' or 'Carolina' means South Carolina, but if a guy in Peoria doesn't think so it doesn't matter what we think. That cannot be changed. Find other ways of identifying the brand.

The paw came along before such things were necessary, but it has become that for Clemson. Some on this board enjoy saying, "People don't even know where Clemson is." As untrue as that might be, does it now even matter? They know what that paw is, and that is all that matters, as CU has proven. SC should develop, adopt and promate a similar brand, I think.

In terms of visuals, the circle decals on the helmets, white on Garnett or Garnett on white, seem artificial, just something to stick on a helmet. The official Gamecock logo is indistinct, a busy flurry of artistic lines rather than a memborable imprint. A child should be able to draw a logo on his school book covers. I am not an artist, so I don't have any alternatives to suggest, but I think South Carolina needs something simple and compelling, something that the mind will remember and tie to "South Carolina".

We are not Southern California. We are not North Carolina. We are South Carolina. Whatever unofficial logos they have, they have. We should forget those logos, choose to not even like them, and develop something that anyone can look at and think, "South Carolina". The current gamecock cannot do that, nor can "USC" or "Carolina". South Carolina needs something else. Get out of the 'tis-so-'tis-not fight with those two schools and go in another direction. It can be done, I think, and should be.

Having done that, my opinion is to stick to one set of uniform combinations. The blacks and grays and chromes look like the gimmicks that they are. Oregon can do it because the gimmicky combinations ARE their brand. Everyone else is a copycat at best, grasping at worst. In terms of identity, develop it then sell it, sell it, sell it.

This is stupid. South Carolina’s branding is among the most recognizable and lucrative in the country. We’re talking about a school that’s constantly in the top 20 in athletic department revenue and in the midst of a 10 year $71.5 million deal with an apparel company.

Meanwhile, Clemson is in the midst of an 8 year deal worth $22 million.

If we do anything, we need to incorporate the wider use of the academic logo in athletics as an alternative, companion to the block C. Ditch the stupid feathers, which are terrible.

Suggestions:

I agree on all Points ^^^^.

Also, re:the We-shall-not-cede-'Carolina'-to-UNcarolina protesters, North Carolina does not put 'Carolina' on the front of their football or basketball jerseys.

One more - go a little brighter on the Garnet color. Garnet is a rich red - not maroon or burgundy.

JMO.

Last edited:
Suggestions:
Yes, us fans to need change to appease ourselves.
That'll help our athletics and make kids want to come here and play here.

Reactions: Goldhunter
Saying we have a better apparel deal than Clemson is true but only because we've signed our deal more recently.
The deals being done these days are CRAZY and who has the best deal currently means who just signed their deal most recently.

I do not think we should concede to Southern California or North Carolina. Gamecock fans will always call ourselves Carolina. The Gamecock itself is a unique mascot. Only one other school uses it and they are obscure. I would like to see "South Carolina" on everything, jersey wise. Never give up the block C. The baseball logo us not ours and we are wasting our time with it. I know many will disagree but I say ditch it.

Suggestions:

I would truly engage anyone in a fist fight if they tried hard to make this happen. This is MY CAROLINA:

i

I dont care if we are 'Carolina', 'South Carolina', 'USC', or a combination of all of the above.....we just need a forward thinking admin who is not stuck in the stone ages when it comes to making decisions and need to be in constant pursuit of having excellent programs.
I prefer 'South Carolina' - when someone asks me who I pull for that's what I say.
I'm also 100% against making the interlocking SC our standard logo.

Saying we have a better apparel deal than Clemson is true but only because we've signed our deal more recently.
The deals being done these days are CRAZY and who has the best deal currently means who just signed their deal most recently.

Clemson signed their 8 year $23 million deal in August 2015. South Carolina signed its 10 year $71.5 million deal in February 2016...

We don’t have a branding problem. We don’t have a revenue problem. We don’t have a facilities problem. We have a legacy of medicore performance in football and men’s basketball problem.

If we were going to do it (and I’m not sold), go all the way and become the Oregon of the east. No half measures.
I think Maryland tried to do that cause under armor Founder is an alum. Don’t know how flashy we need to be. I like the uniform combos and allowing seniors to pick them

Clemson signed their 8 year $23 million deal in August 2015. South Carolina signed its 10 year $71.5 million deal in February 2016...

We don’t have a branding problem. We don’t have a revenue problem. We don’t have a facilities problem. We have a legacy of medicore performance in football and men’s basketball problem.
Exactly. Just being in the SEC we bring in more money than Clemson, plus our policy of splitting money equally in the SEC having two teams in CFP will have even more money in this year.

Block C logo all the way. Interlocking baseball logo has already been lost in court. I could be wrong but Southern California is "allowing" us to use it.
It's not that they are "allowing" us to use it. We simply can't trademark it. Meaning we don't get any royalties if other schools/organizations use it.

We shall never cede “Carolina” to UNCheat.
Note which team has simply "Carolina" on the front of their hoops jerseys vs which one designates their location. :cool:

I pointed that out to a friend of mine who now lives North of the border during our run last year so he could shut up his powder blue brethren.

I do not think we should concede to Southern California or North Carolina. Gamecock fans will always call ourselves Carolina. The Gamecock itself is a unique mascot. Only one other school uses it and they are obscure. I would like to see "South Carolina" on everything, jersey wise. Never give up the block C. The baseball logo us not ours and we are wasting our time with it. I know many will disagree but I say ditch it.

Actually it is ours. CRT designed it himself, and I still have one of the team sweatshirts from his first season when he debuted it.

It looks NOTHING like the SoCal interlocking SC logo. They just got their knickers in a pinch when famous people were seen in SoCal wearing our logo and not theirs.

Reactions: GamecockFanFirst
Actually it is ours. CRT designed it himself, and I still have one of the team sweatshirts from his first season when he debuted it.

It looks NOTHING like the SoCal interlocking SC logo. They just got their knickers in a pinch when famous people were seen in SoCal wearing our logo and not theirs.
I know you'll disagree, but that really annoys me. They should be using the Block C which is the logo of the University of South Carolina Gamecocks. Whoever agreed to that development needs a spanking.

Reactions: Rod Dangerfield
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT