ADVERTISEMENT

WBB: 2017 starting lineup

gamecockblack

Jun 25, 2015
Columbia
So guys just passing the time on a Sunday afternoon looking at the roster next season, & also seeing how Grissett had a big growth spurt over the last year, what will our starting 5 now look like? It appears that we'll be even bigger.

I am assuming that A'ja (6'5") & Jennings (6'3") will be our starting front court. That will likely be the best front court in the SEC. Then you have Harris (5'10") starting & BCM (5'6") will likely start again also. If that's the case we will only have to fill one starting roll. I think Cliney at 6' would fill that spot nicely as she'll be our defensive stopper who will guard the opposing team's best guard.

Dawn could opt to start Grissett at SF who is now no less than (6'3") but unless she has good foot speed that lineup may be too big.

Either way we should all be pretty optimistic about next year's team. This is the way I see Dawn shaking things up:

Wilson (6'5")
Jennings (6'3")
Cliney (6')
BCM (5'6")
Harris (5'10")

Reserves:

Williams (6'4")
HH (6'2")
Grissett (6'3")
Jackson (6')
Spann (5'6)

Now that UT has lost a couple star players I'd put our starting group up against anyone in the SEC with our 2nd unit probably being the best in the SEC also. What I'm ALSO excited about is our backup front court. Williams & HH. We can assume HH will improve from last year & Williams moves very well for her size. We will definitely have more depth in the post which is a good thing.

But how do you guys see our starting lineup shaking up? Grissett, Jackson or Cliney in the starting group? Does BCM go back to coming off the bench sometimes? Thoughts?

I think HH will start ahead of Jennings simply because it will make an easier substitution pattern. Jennings can play the 4 and the 5 and if she comes off the bench it just give more flexibility.

I also believe Cliney will start at the beginning of the year to let Grissett mature. Cliney is an excellent defender and might just be the best athlete on the team (HS state champ in 100 and 200 and a good long jumper) IF she can further her O look out.

Aarion Bradshaw will also get time on the court and don't sleep on Haley Troup(she was just outside the top 100, 102 I believe) terrific 3pt shooter, ambidextrous with great court vision. Her highlight tape is filled with flat out great passes

Reactions: gamecockblack
I was really hoping Jennings would be able to come off the bench. We were so effective during our run last year when A'ja was the lone big on the floor, especially on defense. I know nothing about Jennings' defensive ability. Is she quick enough to defend on the perimeter if necessary? UCONN and UT killed us last season when A'ja was forced to guard out there.

With the talent that we have on board this season, this is a tough decision. If the freshmen and transfers are as good as advertised, anyone of them may be in the starting lineup. One thing that seems certain is that it will not be a drop in play when the second unit enters the game. We have height in Wilson, Williams, Grissett, Jennings and Harrington not to mention Cliney's rebounding ability. We have outside shooting from Cuevas, Harris, Spann, Jackson and please don't sleep on Troup. If you have not seen her highlights, you are missing a treat. Her play reminds me of Missouri's Sophie Freaking Cunningham.

Wilson
Jennings
Cliney
Harris
Cuevas

Grissett
Harrington
Williams
Spann
Troupe or Jackson

I think HH will start ahead of Jennings simply because it will make an easier substitution pattern. Jennings can play the 4 and the 5 and if she comes off the bench it just give more flexibility.
I could see that being a possibility. I think the play of Williams will determine where Jennings is in the lineup. With her being 6'4", if she can be a solid backup to Wilson at the 5, then Jennings can play the 4 as a starter.

I was really hoping Jennings would be able to come off the bench. We were so effective during our run last year when A'ja was the lone big on the floor, especially on defense. I know nothing about Jennings' defensive ability. Is she quick enough to defend on the perimeter if necessary? UCONN and UT killed us last season when A'ja was forced to guard out there.
I feel where you're coming from. I am hoping that Wilson stays at the 5 while Jennings plays the 4. Jennings has a much better offensive game than Coates did & therefore doesn't need to constantly be in the paint to be effective. But, if Wilson is the lone post on offense a Williams/Jennings combo would be lethal in the front court, OR a Jennings/HH combo.

There are a number of ways Dawn can work next year's lineup. A lot of talent & versatility to work with

Reactions: DarkCock
A'ja Wilson
Alexis Jennings
Ty Harris
Bianca Cuevas Moore
Elisia Grissett

That's a very fast athletic offensively potent lineup with the length and quickness to be great defensively...Jennings is too good to come off the bench...She is will not congest the paint and will still allow us to play fast..She can stretch the floor with her jumper...Grissett is easily quick enough to be a great 3...Cliney may start early...But unless Doniyah has upgraded her offense, Lele will grab that spot quickly

I feel where you're coming from. I am hoping that Wilson stays at the 5 while Jennings plays the 4. Jennings has a much better offensive game than Coates did & therefore doesn't need to constantly be in the paint to be effective. But, if Wilson is the lone post on offense a Williams/Jennings combo would be lethal in the front court, OR a Jennings/HH combo.

There are a number of ways Dawn can work next year's lineup. A lot of talent & versatility to work with

Wilson will remain at 5..She is too great a post defender to move away from the rim...Plus as long as we space the floor on offense she can do her thing vs anybody...that will keep her happy..Daz is a tremendous shot blocker as well..It'll be exciting to see how fast she adjusts to the speed of the game

A'ja Wilson
Alexis Jennings
Ty Harris
Bianca Cuevas Moore
Elisia Grissett

That's a very fast athletic offensively potent lineup with the length and quickness to be great defensively...Jennings is too good to come off the bench...She is will not congest the paint and will still allow us to play fast..She can stretch the floor with her jumper...Grissett is easily quick enough to be a great 3...Cliney may start early...But unless Doniyah has upgraded her offense, Lele will grab that spot quickly
Dawn has a history of upperclassmen starting over highly touted freshmen. Tiffany Mitchell did not start as a freshman, Alaina did not start til her Jr year and A'ja only started one game her freshman year. Grissett is an amazing talent but history tells us Cliney will start til at least conference play and maybe all year. Dawn likes to have offensive firepower coming off the bench. It makes sure you have multiple scoring options on the floor at all times and stresses the opposition's substitution pattern. For this reason I also believe Herbert-Harrigan will start over Jennings

With the talent that we have on board this season, this is a tough decision. If the freshmen and transfers are as good as advertised, anyone of them may be in the starting lineup. One thing that seems certain is that it will not be a drop in play when the second unit enters the game. We have height in Wilson, Williams, Grissett, Jennings and Harrington not to mention Cliney's rebounding ability. We have outside shooting from Cuevas, Harris, Spann, Jackson and please don't sleep on Troup. If you have not seen her highlights, you are missing a treat. Her play reminds me of Missouri's Sophie Freaking Cunningham.

Wilson
Jennings
Cliney
Harris
Cuevas

Grissett
Harrington
Williams
Spann
Troupe or Jackson

Cliney is the key to the season to me. If she starts (which I think she will), she's the official x-factor. She showed last season that she has a big upside defensively and as a rebounder. If she can find an offensive game of any kind, it will really make this a dangerous squad. For any team it's hard to project what the freshmen will do which is why I always keep an eye on which returning players improve the most in the off season. I expect big years from Wilson (obviously) and Harris along with more solid and steady play from Cuevas-Moore; if Cliney turns into a double-figures scorer as well . . . look out.

You must be new around here.......or a troll yourself.

I think he's both.

Don't give a rats ass who does or says what because I like all gamecock sports. This is my 2nd time responding to your nonsense which is 2 times too many. You're officially the first poster I'm blocking. Don't have time for the ignorance
He wont be around long anyway

Dawn has a history of upperclassmen starting over highly touted freshmen. Tiffany Mitchell did not start as a freshman, Alaina did not start til her Jr year and A'ja only started one game her freshman year. Grissett is an amazing talent but history tells us Cliney will start til at least conference play and maybe all year. Dawn likes to have offensive firepower coming off the bench. It makes sure you have multiple scoring options on the floor at all times and stresses the opposition's substitution pattern. For this reason I also believe Herbert-Harrigan will start over Jennings

Tiffany wasn't good enough to start as a freshman, neither was Coates... Coates started as a sophomore, once she learned to make a layup...As a frosh Mitchell couldn't make a jump shot to save her life...She worked like a wiz in the off season and dominated the SEC as a sophomore...Wilson refused to move her feet on defense as a frosh..Coach Staley loves winning...If the newbies are as advertized, you are wrong..If Cliney can't find some offense she will be coming off the bench long before SEC play starts...I totally disagree with Jennings coming off the bench..Some of you guys seem to have no idea how good she is..As a frosh at UK she did a better job guarding A'ja than anyone has in 3 years(of course no one can guard A'ja)...Alexis Jennings is a baller..She might not start Day1..But she will be in the lineup very early...My guess is from day1, we'll see..

Appreciate the man love you have for Jennings and hope she is everything you proclaim she is. I agree she is a very good player I am just not overselling like you.

Alaina Coates as a sophomore played in 36 games started 5. Elem Ibiam started 2 years ahead of Alaina when Alaina was clearly more talented. Asia Dozier maintained her starting position her senior year when there were clearly other options. Aleighsa Welch did not start as freshmen. Dawn has repeatedly left more talented players on the bench as freshmen in favor of both valuing experience and being able to have offensive punch come off the bench against tired starters or inferior subs. I just don't think she will change a career long pattern this year.

Last edited:
Tiffany wasn't good enough to start as a freshman, neither was Coates... Coates started as a sophomore, once she learned to make a layup...As a frosh Mitchell couldn't make a jump shot to save her life...She worked like a wiz in the off season and dominated the SEC as a sophomore...Wilson refused to move her feet on defense as a frosh..Coach Staley loves winning...If the newbies are as advertized, you are wrong..If Cliney can't find some offense she will be coming off the bench long before SEC play starts...I totally disagree with Jennings coming off the bench..Some of you guys seem to have no idea how good she is..As a frosh at UK she did a better job guarding A'ja than anyone has in 3 years(of course no one can guard A'ja)...Alexis Jennings is a baller..She might not start Day1..But she will be in the lineup very early...My guess is from day1, we'll see..

To me, coming off the bench is not about how good a player is. It's simply about what's the appropriate role for the player. I'm sure Jennings is good, but so was Alaina Coates and we were better without her in the lineup, period. The reason is A'ja Wilson is a generational talent. She's simply amazing from the elbow/free throw line in, both ends of the court. A female version of Tim Duncan. Every other player on the teams is going to have to discover what their role is around A'ja. Harris and BCM already know theirs. I have no idea about the other two spots. I imagine we'll see a lot of experimentation during the OOC part of the schedule. I'm definitely looking forward to seeing Jennings play.

Appreciate the man love you have for Jennings and hope she is everything you proclaim she is. I agree she is a very good player I am just not overselling like you.

Alaina Coates as a sophomore played in 36 games started 5. Elem Ibiam started 2 years ahead of Alaina when Alaina was clearly more talented. Asia Dozier maintained her starting position her senior year when their were clearly other options. Aleighsa Welch did not start as freshmen. Dawn has repeatedly left more talented players on the bench as freshmen in favor of both valuing experience and being able to have offensive punch come off the bench against tired starters or inferior subs. I just don't think she will change a career long pattern this year.

I think you're right. When we lost in the Final Four to Notre Dame two years ago, A'ja only played 24 minutes, even though she shot 8/11 from the field, had 9 rebounds, 4 blocks and 0 fouls. Coach is loyal to her veteran players. It's hard to argue with the success she's had. I would be surprised if she changed.

Please tell me everyone let their daughters on their account for this thread, and this isn't grown men. Please!!

Please tell me everyone let their daughters on their account for this thread, and this isn't grown men. Please!!
giphy.gif

Reactions: Churrob
I think you're right. When we lost in the Final Four to Notre Dame two years ago, A'ja only played 24 minutes, even though she shot 8/11 from the field, had 9 rebounds, 4 blocks and 0 fouls. Coach is loyal to her veteran players. It's hard to argue with the success she's had. I would be surprised if she changed.

-Yet Ty Harris started most of the season while Kiki Harrigan started quite a few games...We are all speculating..

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT