F Aliyah Boston Junior*

G Brea Beal Junior*

C Kamilla Cardoso Sophomore*

PG Eniya Russell Sophomore*

PG Raven Johnson Freshman

G Saniya Rivers Freshman

F Sania Feagin Freshman

G Aubryanna Hall Freshman

Player is eligible for a 5th year (without counting towards the 15 scholarship requirement) due to COVID

NOTE: All players except Thompson and Wesolek were 5* recruits, and all players except Grissett are eligible to return for the 2022/23 season if they want too due to COVID

Unofficial Rotation:

PG
: Henderson/Johnson/Russell

SG: Cooke/Grissett/Littleton

SF: Beal/Rivers/Hall

PF: Boston/Saxton/Feagin

C: Cardoso/Amihere/Feagin

Thoughts?

Last edited:
I will be surprised if Boston and Cardoso both start, initially. I think Amihere gives the lineup more defensive versatility.

Cardoso can bring energy off the bench. The one thing she does clearly better than Boston is run the floor.

I think our starting lineup will likely be the same as this past season. I don't think Cardoso will be an immediate starter either. I would assume that Boston, Cooke and Henderson are virtual locks to start, I think Beal has a strong chance of keeping her spot as well. I believe the 4 spot is the where things could get interesting. I think that spot could go to Saxton or Amihere. There's so many possibilities on bench that I'm not sure what depth chart will be.

I also don't believe Cardoso and Boston will be playing much together on the court. I think they will largely sub for each other and will occasionally play with each other based on the flow of the game.

Why wouldn't Cardoso be an immediate starter?
Chelsea Dungee played the 4 spot for Arkansas. Would Boston or Cardoso be able to guard her? Could they guard Haley Jones? Dawn doesn't like to play zone, so in all likelihood both won't be on the floor unless the matchup will allow it.

I think we will see many combinations during the year. But yes, our starters from this past season will most likely be the first 5

Reactions: gamecockblack
Why wouldn't Cardoso be an immediate starter?
In my opinion it just doesn't make sense relative to our roster. I think Boston could play the 4 and could be quite good at it, she has the versatility to make it work, especially with her pretty reliable midrange jumper, that's what we have missed and needed from that position . But as it currently stands I think she's the best 5 in the nation and I think it's in the best interest of our roster, not to mention as DarkCock noted leaving her to defend more mobile power forwards is likely not a net positive for the team. Having Cardoso and Boston sub off each other seems to me, to be the better move, that allows Boston a real great sub when needed and it allows Cardoso the chance to learn and adapt to our style without all the pressure. If they both start then we would have a logjam of players like Saxton, Amihere and Feagin sitting on the bench for extended periods. While I believe these players can be pretty good at the 4, I don't believe they would be as effective at the 5, especially against more elite competition.

WBB 21/22 Roster:

G Lele Grissett 5th year

PG Destanni Henderson Senior*

F Victaria Saxton Senior*

G Destanni Littleton RS Senior*

F Elyssa Wesolek Senior*

F Laeticia Amihere RS Junior*

G Olivia Thompson Junior*

G Zia Cooke Junior*

F Aliyah Boston Junior*

G Brea Beal Junior*

C Kamilla Cardoso Sophomore*

PG Eniya Russell Sophomore*

PG Raven Johnson Freshman

G Saniya Rivers Freshman

F Sania Feagin Freshman

G Aubryanna Hall Freshman

Player is eligible for a 5th year due to COVID

NOTE: All players except Thompson and Wesolek were 5* recruits, and all players except Grissett are eligible to return for the 2022/23 season if they want too due to COVID

Unofficial Rotation:

PG
: Henderson/Johnson/Russell

SG: Cooke/Grissett/Littleton

SF: Beal/Rivers/Hall

PF: Boston/Saxton/Feagin

C: Cardoso/Amihere/Feagin

Thoughts?
No mention of OP's Mulkey?

Go Cocks!

In my opinion it just doesn't make sense relative to our roster. I think Boston could play the 4 and could be quite good at it, she has the versatility to make it work, especially with her pretty reliable midrange jumper, that's what we have missed and needed from that position . But as it currently stands I think she's the best 5 in the nation and I think it's in the best interest of our roster, not to mention as DarkCock noted leaving her to defend more mobile power forwards is likely not a net positive for the team. Having Cardoso and Boston sub off each other seems to me, to be the better move, that allows Boston a real great sub when needed and it allows Cardoso the chance to learn and adapt to our style without all the pressure. If they both start then we would have a logjam of players like Saxton, Amihere and Feagin sitting on the bench for extended periods. While I believe these players can be pretty good at the 4, I don't believe they would be as effective at the 5, especially against more elite competition.
I would have cardoso and boston will both start, twin towers. at least against the top teams

Last edited:
I see Cardoso relieving Boston though they may play together for a few minutes a game. Boston absolutely starts at the 5 and Saxton, Amihere or Cardoso start at the 4. Brea Beal or Amihere start at the 3, Zia at the 2 and DHenny at the 1. Only the 1, 2 and 5 are set in stone, IMO. I think 11 or 12 players will see 15+ mpg, which means we will be very well rested. We have such a great freshman class coming in, it's not impossible that one of them could start.

Reactions: Gamekem
I see Cardoso relieving Boston though they may play together for a few minutes a game. Boston absolutely starts at the 5 and Saxton, Amihere or Cardoso start at the 4. Brea Beal or Amihere start at the 3, Zia at the 2 and DHenny at the 1. Only the 1, 2 and 5 are set in stone, IMO. I think 11 or 12 players will see 15+ mpg, which means we will be very well rested. We have such a great freshman class coming in, it's not impossible that one of them could start.
Cardoso is a 5, no way will she play the 4, Boston has been playing out of position the last two years now she can finally play the 4.

Boston played 30.4 minutes per game last year. We asked a lot of her and She delivered in All American fashion. However there were times she was playing gassed. DS also would bench her quickly to protect against foul trouble. Especially in the first half. Her sitting changed our whole offensive game. Her Fr. year she played 23 minutes and delivered almost the same stats. Her minutes are going to drop this year and that is a good thing.

Cardoso is going to get 20 minutes a game this year and most off it will be subbing Boston. Occasionally they will on the court together

Great thing is it does not matter. Starters - the 5 playing the best or the 5 who are the hardest matchup for the opponent. Any one having a bad night? The second and third string players at your position are as good as you are! We will not win/lose because of how well 1 superstar performs. Coach Staley is a master at mixing in the right combination of players at any given moment in a game. We can go big and fast or small and faster.

Boston played 30.4 minutes per game last year. We asked a lot of her and She delivered in All American fashion. However there were times she was playing gassed. DS also would bench her quickly to protect against foul trouble. Especially in the first half. Her sitting changed our whole offensive game. Her Fr. year she played 23 minutes and delivered almost the same stats. Her minutes are going to drop this year and that is a good thing.

Cardoso is going to get 20 minutes a game this year and most off it will be subbing Boston. Occasionally they will on the court together
Sounds about right. I'm sure Boston and Cardoso are OK with it.

Not everyone wants to be Caitlin Clark, playing 38 minutes a game and carrying her team on her back. Clark didn't try out for the Americup team, I suspect, because she needs the rest. Paige Bueckers didn't because she had ankle surgery. Only so many minutes a player can log in a year and stay healthy and effective.

btw, looking over the Americup roster, I was surprised to see that Aliyah is still a teenager. Wow. How good is she going to be? Reducing her minutes will help prolong her career.

I have said this several times, Lele will not be rehabbed until at least conference play. She may not even be ready til NCAA’s.

Rivers is so gifted and plays the 2 primarily. She can play the three with no problem and in a pinch actually play the 1 and 4. She will be the primary sub at the 2-3. She is 6’1”, helluva a defender and scores at all three levels.
Johnson will be the backup at pg and can also play the 2.
As the season goes on Littleton, Russell, and Hall may struggle for minutes. Rivers and Johnson are that good.

Boston , Cardoso, Amihere and Saxton will play a lot of mix and match. Feagin is the wildcard. She has ball handling skills and three point range, she could actually play the 3 as can Amihere.

Reactions: Gamekem
I have said this several times, Lele will not be rehabbed until at least conference play. She may not even be ready til NCAA’s.

Rivers is so gifted and plays the 2 primarily. She can play the three with no problem and in a pinch actually play the 1 and 4. She will be the primary sub at the 2-3. She is 6’1”, helluva a defender and scores at all three levels.
Johnson will be the backup at pg and can also play the 2.
As the season goes on Littleton, Russell, and Hall may struggle for minutes. Rivers and Johnson are that good.

Boston , Cardoso, Amihere and Saxton will play a lot of mix and match. Feagin is the wildcard. She has ball handling skills and three point range, she could actually play the 3 as can Amihere.
It's impossible to say all this right now

It's impossible to say all this right now
You asked for thoughts and I offered, it was different than yours, so what? Engage me. I’d love to hear your thoughts and process. I feel very comfortable with my vision but what the hell do I know? I’m just an old, fat, bald guy talking sports in the middle of a pandemic.

You asked for thoughts and I offered, it was different than yours, so what? Engage me. I’d love to hear your thoughts and process. I feel very comfortable with my vision but what the hell do I know? I’m just an old, fat, bald guy talking sports in the middle of a pandemic.
Just goes to show, this is like listening to people on the radio whom you've never seen. When you finally see them, they always look much different than you imagined.

Just goes to show, this is like listening to people on the radio whom you've never seen. When you finally see them, they always look much different than you imagined.
Well I am old and bald but have been a runner(not that great but have a marathon under my belt and use to run a sub 40 minute 10K) and gym rat all my life.

Reactions: king ward
Well I am old and bald but have been a runner(not that great but have a marathon under my belt and use to run a sub 40 minute 10K) and gym rat all my life.
I work out every other day and have recently lost around 40 pounds. But I respect anyone who has ever been a distance runner. That takes a lot of fortitude.

Reactions: winloseortie
I work out every other day and have recently lost around 40 pounds. But I respect anyone who has ever been a distance runner. That takes a lot of fortitude.
Congrats!! All Running takes is a high level for boredom and pain🤣🤣🤣🤣. Running and working out is about my only defense against food and genetics. Ice cream, cookies, potato chips, no matter the size, come in single serving containers

Reactions: king ward
Sounds about right. I'm sure Boston and Cardoso are OK with it.

Not everyone wants to be Caitlin Clark, playing 38 minutes a game and carrying her team on her back. Clark didn't try out for the Americup team, I suspect, because she needs the rest. Paige Bueckers didn't because she had ankle surgery. Only so many minutes a player can log in a year and stay healthy and effective.

btw, looking over the Americup roster, I was surprised to see that Aliyah is still a teenager. Wow. How good is she going to be? Reducing her minutes will help prolong her career.
Yes, she was only 17 when she started at Carolina.

Reactions: DarkCock

Agree with you completely. Boston will play less minutes and her stats will improve. Love that Cardosa is a big shot blocker. Wow. Boston, Amihere, Saxton, Carlos’s...Beal and KiKi. What a bunch of shot blockers. Not counting the true freshman.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT