ADVERTISEMENT

WBB: #5 South Carolina vs #3 Texas A&M

Milks26

Apr 18, 2018
No # 5 South Carolina take on # 3 Texas A&M @ Texas.

Let's see what our ladies do.

Side note: Ole Miss swept # 17 Kentucky in SEC play.

Last edited:
Not looking great early on but we seem to be building a run to get it closer.

Pretty good half of basketball but we can definitely do better. Also Saxton's rebound and put back was almost a dunk, her vertical is insane.

Yeah, a team who can't make layups has no legitimate claim to being a national title contender.
For sure, but even by our standards the amount relatively easy shots missed in this quarter alone is ridiculous. You can afford to miss some shots when you have an offense outside of it. What I've seen in this 3rd quarter is beyond unacceptable.

For sure, but even by our standards the amount relatively easy shots missed in this quarter alone is ridiculous. You can afford to miss some shots when you have an offense outside of it. What I've seen in this 3rd quarter is beyond unacceptable.
It's a composure thing.

A good response for the 4th quarter but they blew their chances with all the missed layups and turnovers. On a side note is their no covid restrictions in Texas. The crowd is pretty packed in some areas on the arena.

I hope this loss stings for the team and leads to some more fuel as we head towards the SEC tournament.

I don’t see us beating A&M in the SEC tournament. Hopefully someone else can do the trick and we can back into the tournament championship.

As I said in the previous thread, if A&M could kep the rebounds differential in the single digits, I liked them to win. We were only +4. Not good enough.

Give A&M credit. I read they have 1 senior and 4 graduate students. That's a veteran team.

The good news for Carolina is Dawn seems to have found something in playing Beal and Lele together. We need to start with the pressure defense from the get. Saxton's minutes need to be reduce, unless Boston gets in foul trouble.

Reactions: Gamekem
I don’t follow ladies basketball but do read the headlines. This years team seems to pretty occupied with a lot of off court stuff. I didn’t understand the coaches tweet after the last lost about still being the coach , etc. l

Reactions: FORKCOCK and 92Pony
This team doesn't react to losses. If we win the next one, it will be by reason of inferior competition. This is not a championship team. That was last year's team.
I think this team could very well win a national championship this year. We have 3 losses....to #1,2, and 3 in the country, 2 of the losses on the road and 1 in o.t., I believe,
We miss Harris but maybe Harrigan more. If Beal and or Lele could consistently hit those mid range jump shots AND make layups it would help.

I've said it a dozen times before. This USC team is good but not elite. That's evident in their inability to beat the best teams on their schedule, who are all good teams but not unbeatable (USC should have beat UCONN and NC State is NOT that good). USC just doesn't have that solid leadership that they had last year when games get tight. It was a nice comeback today, but they just don't have that gutsy player who has to have the ball in her hands in crunch time. I still say Boston needs to be more aggressive and drive to the basket more when she catches it at the free throw line.

Don't mean to be over-critical,as this is a good team that is capable of beating anyone at the SEC Tournament, but will likely fall in the semis and maybe the Sweet 16 this year, which for most programs would be a great year, but the expectations are a lot higher for Staley now.

The top 16 reveal is out. UCONN, Stanford, A&M & USC are the top 4 seeds. NC State is #5, so it's most likely we'll be in the same regional as the Pack. I guess if we won the SEC tournament, we could move up. But I wouldn't mind the rematch with State, given the other choices. Baylor is currently the #8 seed, which seems like a tougher draw than State.

This team just doesn't have that it factor and they seem to have stayed still while other teams improved. Sweet 16 is likely but past that I'm not too confident. They need a consistent outside shooter. I believe help is coming next year.

As I have read here before, and agree with, that Dawn is not a great Xs and Os coach. She is however, an excellent recruiter, which will keep our program in the top 5 of womens basketball for as long as she is here. We miss the senior leadership of Harris and Kiki this year since most of our key players are freshman and sophomores. It also seems that our coach has been pre-occupied with other topics this year. She seems to now enjoy getting into twitter "wars" with fans and anyone else who may have a different opinion than herself.

Reactions: FORKCOCK and 92Pony
They play in hurry up mode when down low. Look like seventh graders in P.E. class blowing layups and turning the ball over.

As I have read here before, and agree with, that Dawn is not a great Xs and Os coach. She is however, an excellent recruiter, which will keep our program in the top 5 of womens basketball for as long as she is here. We miss the senior leadership of Harris and Kiki this year since most of our key players are freshman and sophomores. It also seems that our coach has been pre-occupied with other topics this year. She seems to now enjoy getting into twitter "wars" with fans and anyone else who may have a different opinion than herself.
There would not be a WBB thread here without CDS.

Maybe you've had different life experiences than her.

She is a thoroughbred college basketball champion & icon.

You?

Go Cocks!

Last edited:
There would not be a WBB thread here without CDS.

Maybe you've had different life experiences than her.

She is a recognized college basketball champion & icon.

You?

Go Cocks!

Chucky,

I never belittled Dawn at all, not sure why you seem so upset. I also agree without you, there would be no thread on womens basketball without Dawn. However, she is not untouchable and above criticism. I just stated the facts and numerous thoughts of people who know BB a lot better than me . I also never said she didn't have a right to twitter wars.

As far me, since you seemed so concerned, I actually do quite well for myself. I appreciate you asking..

Chucky,

I never belittled Dawn at all, not sure why you seem so upset. I also agree without you, there would be no thread on womens basketball without Dawn. However, she is not untouchable and above criticism. I just stated the facts and numerous thoughts of people who know BB a lot better than me . I also never said she didn't have a right to twitter wars.

As far me, since you seemed so concerned, I actually do quite well for myself. I appreciate you asking..
am not upset

are you?

Yes you were....... Don't pretend you weren't. I touched just enough nerve for you to respond directly to my post... Its ok....:p

Just watched the replay. A&M got away with hammering Boston most of the time and did get favorable calls. The were within 3 with about a minute to go and missed 3 - 3's that were close. They can't win the big ones without making the lay ups. 3rd quarter took them out. Their tenacious defense helped them make it back in the game. The recipe for other teams is pack into the zone and push Boston around. Henderson and Beal played well. If Beal can develop that 10-15 footer she could take the offense over where Harrigan left off.

Reactions: ForeUSC
Just watched the replay. A&M got away with hammering Boston most of the time and did get favorable calls. The were within 3 with about a minute to go and missed 3 - 3's that were close. They can't win the big ones without making the lay ups. 3rd quarter took them out. Their tenacious defense helped them make it back in the game. The recipe for other teams is pack into the zone and push Boston around. Henderson and Beal played well. If Beal can develop that 10-15 footer she could take the offense over where Harrigan left off.
Shut down Boston in the paint and you shut down the entire team. We don’t have the outside range to counter that strategy this year.

I've said it a dozen times before. This USC team is good but not elite. That's evident in their inability to beat the best teams on their schedule, who are all good teams but not unbeatable (USC should have beat UCONN and NC State is NOT that good). USC just doesn't have that solid leadership that they had last year when games get tight. It was a nice comeback today, but they just don't have that gutsy player who has to have the ball in her hands in crunch time. I still say Boston needs to be more aggressive and drive to the basket more when she catches it at the free throw line.

Don't mean to be over-critical,as this is a good team that is capable of beating anyone at the SEC Tournament, but will likely fall in the semis and maybe the Sweet 16 this year, which for most programs would be a great year, but the expectations are a lot higher for Staley now.
This is how I have felt for a while now. This team could lose in the sweet 16 or could be in the running to win a national championship. This season is very much wide open for about 10-12 teams. Despite a poor 3rd quarter and countless missed layups we were very much in the mix to win in the final minutes of the game today. Time is running out, but at some point we either will have to get over the hump and win the important games or falter again. I believe unless someone else steps up we will likely live or die based on Cooke's shooting. If everything stays relatively the same and Cooke plays similar to how she did in the 4 games following the NC State loss, we would have a good chance to win it all.
This is more wishful thinking, but I hope that maybe someone amongst the team could have Harrigan type of run, in which they happen to play much better in the SECT and NCAAT than during the regular season.

Dawn said it in her post game presser. Failure to make layups has been our downfall in the losses. I’ll bet she gets that cleaned up with some tough scrimmages in the next few days.

I feel for this year’s team. Need to resolve or solve the ”beat the hell out of Aliyah” game plan. It’s working and unfortunately very effective. Officials at least within the SEC are enabling it. Hopefully that won’t be the case in the big event. Don’t really feel good about the SEC tournament because of the lack of integrity in officiating. Say that because she’s so big and strong it’s just okay to mug her and let them get away with it. LA who just can’t seem to keep from bringing the ball down low before she shoots also gets hacked a lot.

Last edited:
This game was winnable. But, energy level was nonexistent in the 3rd qtr - when that's usually their best game.

Shooters to space the floor is #1. They better get used to every opponent using a pack-line defense from here on out.

Definitely. They don't even need "3 point shooters" as so many of our fans keep calling for. If Saxton, in particular, could just hit a 10 footer that would make a world of difference. This is the same lineup as last year, except Henderson for Harris, and Destanni should be All-SEC, so not much drop off there. That means the main drop off has been the 4 spot.

At the same time, to be fair to this team, last year's team played UT, UCONN, Miss St and A&M at home. This year's team is better than most fans think. Their ability to rebound makes them a threat to beat anyone.

Definitely. They don't even need "3 point shooters" as so many of our fans keep calling for. If Saxton, in particular, could just hit a 10 footer that would make a world of difference. This is the same lineup as last year, except Henderson for Harris, and Destanni should be All-SEC, so not much drop off there. That means the main drop off has been the 4 spot.

At the same time, to be fair to this team, last year's team played UT, UCONN, Miss St and A&M at home. This year's team is better than most fans think. Their ability to rebound makes them a threat to beat anyone.
You mean “if Saxton, Grissette, Beal, Amihere could hit 10-footers.”

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT