WBB: Aquira DeCosta 6'1" wing #6 nationally

lawcalcock

Apr 8, 2016
With a few in the air
1f440.png
New & improved final 5 creds to @TiptonEdits_
1f91e-1f3fe.png

C-H5S-nUAAA7quY.jpg

This would be a huge get for our program...DeCosta is an incredible athlete, great leaper and unstoppable going to the hoop...The better news about her top5 is UCLA and Southern Cal are not there...I like our chances here...She is great friends with 2018 commit Destanni Henderson from USAU18 squad last summer

With a few in the air
1f440.png
New & improved final 5 creds to @TiptonEdits_
1f91e-1f3fe.png

C-H5S-nUAAA7quY.jpg

This would be a huge get for our program...DeCosta is an incredible athlete, great leaper and unstoppable going to the hoop...The better news about her top5 is UCLA and Southern Cal are not there...I like our chances here...She is great friends with 2018 commit Destanni Henderson from USAU18 squad last summer
I also noticed (ODO) liked the post waiting on her to come out with a top 5.

When I first skimmed the post title, I thought it said we were "acquiring" her - hopefully we do end up acquiring Aquira!

Dawn will be getting a lot more birdies into the flock!

This class could be extraordinary...Has the potential to be better than the A'ja Wilson/Bianca Cuevas class...

Destanni Henderson is already firmly committed(she is #9 nationally,#2PG)...We are in the top 5 for Nalyssa Smith #3 Nationally...Olivia Nelson-Ododa #2 nationally...Zarielle Green #18 nationally...Rhyne Howard and Elizabeth Bolagun have us at or near the top of their lists...Aquira DeCosta is big time...DeCosta is the kind of baller Dawn loves..She is very athletic, fast and explosive..Dominant on both ends of the floor..

This class could be extraordinary...Has the potential to be better than the A'ja Wilson/Bianca Cuevas class...

Destanni Henderson is already firmly committed(she is #9 nationally,#2PG)...We are in the top 5 for Nalyssa Smith #3 Nationally...Olivia Nelson-Ododa #2 nationally...Zarielle Green #18 nationally...Rhyne Howard and Elizabeth Bolagun have us at or near the top of their lists...Aquira DeCosta is big time...DeCosta is the kind of baller Dawn loves..She is very athletic, fast and explosive..Dominant on both ends of the floor..
I worry about recruits from more than 1,000 miles away. Homesickness is a real issue for some teenagers leaving home for the first time. The northeast isn't too bad, but the west coast is quite a trek for anybody.

I would like our chances if anyone other than lawcalcock posted on this.

Anything Lawcalcock likes our chances with or has inside sources on bet the house against him. He's been wrong on so much. The XT sure bet to the Gamecocks, no way Dozier turns pro and on and on

Reactions: KeyserSozeCock
I worry about recruits from more than 1,000 miles away. Homesickness is a real issue for some teenagers leaving home for the first time. The northeast isn't too bad, but the west coast is quite a trek for anybody.

Some people want to get away from home.

Anything Lawcalcock likes our chances with or has inside sources on bet the house against him. He's been wrong on so much. The XT sure bet to the Gamecocks, no way Dozier turns pro and on and on
Bwahahaha!
Bless his heart. JK!

Reactions: KeyserSozeCock
Shouldn't the number 1 team be able to recruit the top in the country for each of the 5 positions?

you can recruit anyone you like...signing is the issue...no you can't sign anyone you want just because you are National Champions..But it certainly gets you in the light for every great prospect...We weren't number 1 when we signed the A'ja/Cuevas/Cliney class...All that class has done is steer the program to 3 SEC titles, 3 SEC tourney Championships, 2 final fours and 1 National Championship...All 3 said no to higher rated programs to play for Coach Staley...

Some people want to get away from home.

Yeap...different strokes for different folks...I think success and playing time are the key...Some HBCs lie to recruits just to stockpile talent...Great prospects want to play a lot...You notice very few players transfer out of USC or UCONN unless they can't play...Jatarie White transfered out of a National Championship because she couldn't earn more playing time...Her Dad told her she should be starting..Every time Coach Staley put her in she played like a mediocre backup...So she transfered out to Texas, where based on their roster she is still likely to be a backup...Kaydra Duckett was from our state...She transfered out because she didn't want to work hard enough to realize her potential...Shay Collie claimed she was homesick...Has transfered yet again and is still not close to home..Collie xfered to Pitt and is now at Mich St...She was on the bench at CLA for our regional...Wonder how she felt watching a great team she had a chance to be a part of...You never know exactly what causes most of these xfer situations

Yeap...different strokes for different folks...I think success and playing time are the key...Some HBCs lie to recruits just to stockpile talent...Great prospects want to play a lot...You notice very few players transfer out of USC or UCONN unless they can't play...Jatarie White transfered out of a National Championship because she couldn't earn more playing time...Her Dad told her she should be starting..Every time Coach Staley put her in she played like a mediocre backup...So she transfered out to Texas, where based on their roster she is still likely to be a backup...Kaydra Duckett was from our state...She transfered out because she didn't want to work hard enough to realize her potential...Shay Collie claimed she was homesick...Has transfered yet again and is still not close to home..Collie xfered to Pitt and is now at Mich St...She was on the bench at CLA for our regional...Wonder how she felt watching a great team she had a chance to be a part of...You never know exactly what causes most of these xfer situations
I happen to know there was more to it than that for White. It was personal and not worth sharing on message board, but I understand why she left.
Dawn will get good recruits...it's just a matter of how quickly the young ones can play at a high level. Some just don't have it as freshmen. SC will need some freshmen to be scorers in year one since, other than Aja, all of the proven conistent scorers are gone (Coates, Davis, Gray.). Others have potential, but have to show it consistently. Should be a fun year. UCONN will be loaded once again with only 1 starter gone. Go Gamecocks!

Your obsession with lawcalcock is getting weird. Like creepy stalker weird.

Reactions: lawcalcock
I happen to know there was more to it than that for White. It was personal and not worth sharing on message board, but I understand why she left.
Dawn will get good recruits...it's just a matter of how quickly the young ones can play at a high level. Some just don't have it as freshmen. SC will need some freshmen to be scorers in year one since, other than Aja, all of the proven conistent scorers are gone (Coates, Davis, Gray.). Others have potential, but have to show it consistently. Should be a fun year. UCONN will be loaded once again with only 1 starter gone. Go Gamecocks!

We had to have freshmen step up and be scorers for us this season...Harris and Harrigan stepped up many times...Cuevas is a dynamic scorer and can get us 15-20 when we need it...The incoming class is very talented...No one knows how fast they will adapt to the speed and physicality of the SEC...But my money is on LeLe Grissett and LaDazhia Williams to make the adjustment big time...If Jackson and Troup step up next season, fantastic...UCONN is always unbeatable until someone beats them..They have earned all the hype they get...

Finally, i think it's cool that you know this big secret about Jatarie that you can't share...I was told by people that should know, she pouted harder than she worked...Her Dad thought she should start despite the fact A'ja and Alaina were clearly better...So i guess none of her failures and pouting had anything to do with her running off to Texas...I wish Ms White well...Not all young people mature and accept responsibility at the same age...Coach Staley was tough on A'ja and Alaina when they were freshmen...But they both matured and developed into great players...I remember A'ja getting chewed out on the sidelines as a freshman...She didn't pout or run off...She matured and developed into the best player in the nation...

Jatarie White has potential..Most 5 star recruits do...But i never once saw her take the court and perform up to her potential while she was here...I know she dealt with injury and illness..Most players deal with those 2 issues...I hope things work our for her at Texas...Sometimes a change of scenery is good..But she will face talented competition at Texas as well...

I suppose the perception for 2017-18 will be Tennessee and Mississippi St as the front-runners? M St returns most of their contributors. Tennessee does too, plus they add a highly regarded incoming class.
I trust that Dawn will have a very good team again. After her successes of the last 5 years, there's no reason to doubt that. She just gets to switch from "hunted" to "hunter" mode. Sometimes that is a good thing.

Reactions: gamecockblack

With the exception of Howard, all of those players are ranked in ESPN's top 15 for 2018. Just getting 3 out of those 6 to go along with Henderson would be big-time.

http://www.espn.com/high-school/girls-basketball/recruiting/rankings/_/class/2018

I suppose the perception for 2017-18 will be Tennessee and Mississippi St as the front-runners? M St returns most of their contributors. Tennessee does too, plus they add a highly regarded incoming class.
I trust that Dawn will have a very good team again. After her successes of the last 5 years, there's no reason to doubt that. She just gets to switch from "hunted" to "hunter" mode. Sometimes that is a good thing.
Miss St has their three best players back but will
lose either 4 or 5 seniors that filled vital roles. We will have more talent than them. UT has a roster filled with 5 star talent. There may not be a better roster in the country BUT they have proved they will not play D, they will not play as a team AND they are poorly coached. It will be interesting to see if Holly can keep this team from a total implosion. 5 very talented seniors who are led by a head case and the # 1 recruiting class. Will the seniors poison the freshmen? How will she balance playing time? A freak show and disaster waiting to happen. They will be a UCONN by 15 one night and lose to Auburn by 20 the next time out.

Good post..That might be the spin among the media pundits...But people that really know, understand the Gamecocks will be extremely difficult to dethrone...MissSt will be tough...The Vols will be the same ole Holly Warlick Vols...They are always very talented and very disappointing...We still have the best player in the nation and an excellent supporting cast...I still believe the Gamecocks rule the SEC...But i confess MissSt worries me..Our team will have to develop and mature into a new identity around A'Ja..As reigning National and Conference Champions we will still be the hunted...But i think the pressure is off our program..We have conquered and reached the top of the mountain...We know we belong and will fight ferociously to stay there...It's going to be the most interesting seasons since A'ja was a freshman...We have some unanswered questions..But Coach Staley is expert at working those out

We had to have freshmen step up and be scorers for us this season...Harris and Harrigan stepped up many times...Cuevas is a dynamic scorer and can get us 15-20 when we need it...The incoming class is very talented...No one knows how fast they will adapt to the speed and physicality of the SEC...But my money is on LeLe Grissett and LaDazhia Williams to make the adjustment big time...If Jackson and Troup step up next season, fantastic...UCONN is always unbeatable until someone beats them..They have earned all the hype they get...

Finally, i think it's cool that you know this big secret about Jatarie that you can't share...I was told by people that should know, she pouted harder than she worked...Her Dad thought she should start despite the fact A'ja and Alaina were clearly better...So i guess none of her failures and pouting had anything to do with her running off to Texas...I wish Ms White well...Not all young people mature and accept responsibility at the same age...Coach Staley was tough on A'ja and Alaina when they were freshmen...But they both matured and developed into great players...I remember A'ja getting chewed out on the sidelines as a freshman...She didn't pout or run off...She matured and developed into the best player in the nation...

Jatarie White has potential..Most 5 star recruits do...But i never once saw her take the court and perform up to her potential while she was here...I know she dealt with injury and illness..Most players deal with those 2 issues...I hope things work our for her at Texas...Sometimes a change of scenery is good..But she will face talented competition at Texas as well...
Why is it you always get your feelings hurt when someone contradicts you or proves you wrong? You have this chip on your shoulder that you are the ultimate authority on women's basketball... but you're not. Nor am I. But you come across as a know it all even after you're proven wrong or when someone dare say they have more information than you. (Like when I told you 2 weeks before the fact that KD was leaving early and you insisted there was now way that would happen.) Chill dude. I heard the same things you did about Jatarie, but I also knew someone within the family that added more insight.

Why is it you always get your feelings hurt when someone contradicts you or proves you wrong? You have this chip on your shoulder that you are the ultimate authority on women's basketball... but you're not. Nor am I. But you come across as a know it all even after you're proven wrong or when someone dare say they have more information than you. (Like when I told you 2 weeks before the fact that KD was leaving early and you insisted there was now way that would happen.) Chill dude. I heard the same things you did about Jatarie, but I also knew someone within the family that added more insight.

Do you realize the irony of that post? My feellings are not hurt? You make that accusation then respond to me like a whimpering child whose milk and cookies were taken away...This is a discussion forum...People disagree and exchange points of view while sharing info they hear...Just because you hear things doesn't mean they are true...That's true for all fans...

For the record i never believed KD would leave because it made no sense...She was playing like a dog when i posted that 'OPINION'...If it cost you any money i apologize:eek:..Why don't you post the many things i was right about...Like USC being the most talented team in the nation and wining the Championship..Why don't you remind posters of your opinions that were wrong...Remember, 'UCONN is unbeatable and will win it again"..You also posted the Gamecocks would not reach the final four..If you want to exchange rights/wrongs, everyone that reads this forum regularly knows you will come up short...

No hard feelings dude...I don't have any feelings for you to hurt..This is a discussion forum..I come here to discuss Gamecocks sports..I am not looking for friends, approval or agreement necessarily..Just here to discuss my favorite teams..Contrary points of view doesn't translate to hurt feelings in my world..I AM NOT A SNOWFLAKE!!!

Reactions: rogue cock
Miss St has their three best players back but will
lose either 4 or 5 seniors that filled vital roles. We will have more talent than them. UT has a roster filled with 5 star talent. There may not be a better roster in the country BUT they have proved they will not play D, they will not play as a team AND they are poorly coached. It will be interesting to see if Holly can keep this team from a total implosion. 5 very talented seniors who are led by a head case and the # 1 recruiting class. Will the seniors poison the freshmen? How will she balance playing time? A freak show and disaster waiting to happen. They will be a UCONN by 15 one night and lose to Auburn by 20 the next time out.
The Vols could be a virtual soap opera this fall...They always have a roster full of 5 star talent...They had the same superstars last year and the year before...That crew has won nothing...They have too many volume shooters and turnover prone guards...Nonetheless they are must see TV...

I think Miss St will miss Richardson and Dillingham...But they are tough and well coached...I worry about them more than the overhyped Vols...

Do you realize the irony of that post? My feellings are not hurt? You make that accusation then respond to me like a whimpering child whose milk and cookies were taken away...This is a discussion forum...People disagree and exchange points of view while sharing info they hear...Just because you hear things doesn't mean they are true...That's true for all fans...

For the record i never believed KD would leave because it made no sense...She was playing like a dog when i posted that 'OPINION'...If it cost you any money i apologize:eek:..Why don't you post the many things i was right about...Like USC being the most talented team in the nation and wining the Championship..Why don't you remind posters of your opinions that were wrong...Remember, 'UCONN is unbeatable and will win it again"..You also posted the Gamecocks would not reach the final four..If you want to exchange rights/wrongs, everyone that reads this forum regularly knows you will come up short...

No hard feelings dude...I don't have any feelings for you to hurt..This is a discussion forum..I come here to discuss Gamecocks sports..I am not looking for friends, approval or agreement necessarily..Just here to discuss my favorite teams..Contrary points of view doesn't translate to hurt feelings in my world..I AM NOT A SNOWFLAKE!!!
It's your condescending attitude toward anyone who disagrees with you that's pretty annoying. I've been wrong plenty of times in my opinions, but you come across as arrogant. I don't recall saying UCONN is unbeatable. In fact, I know i said they were beatbable, but I thought they would indeed win it again. Obviously Miss State proved me wrong (although MSU was a team I was very high on all year along). Even in your response you keep acting like there is a scorecard as to whose opinion is "right" the most. You still can't accept that KD (and AG) went pro and question why they would do that. It's simple - they can make money playing ball which was their dream. Next year is not guaranteed. They'll get their degrees and they were first round picks who will likely play overseas as well. There would be no guarantee they would be first round picks next year if the talent pool is deeper.

Get over yourself. You're not as smart as you think you are.

Coach McCray posted this around 1pm today. Wonder who the visiting recruits are?

I believe that's about 2020 5'11" G Alli Campbell...She led her team to the 8th grade AAU championship last summer..She tweeted that she is "blessed to receive an offer from the National Champions today"...She was pictured with Dawn and 2 Gamecock coaches along with her kid sister

You are the biggest pos of a poster on this board. Lawcalcock is a Gamecock fan to the core and you have the unmitigated gall to insult this die hard Gamecock poster. Go to hell! Get off of this board and stay off of this board.

Reactions: lawcalcock
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT