ADVERTISEMENT

WBB: interesting practice photo

lawcalcock

Apr 8, 2016
DCdQHUdUQAEmocM.jpg:large

I am shocked that Lele Grissett is taller than 6'2" Mikiah Harrigan and is as tall or taller than 6'3" Alexis Jennings...No wonder Coach Staley called her the most underrated 17rth ranked recruit ever...Her athleticism at that size should prove an incredible asset

She looks to be 6'5" or 6'6"

I would say 6'4"...If you click the photo to enlarge, she is not quite as tall as A'ja...But it looks like Dawn got a gem of a great prospect..Instead of a 6'2" athletic wing, we have a very athletic wing that's 6'3' or 6'4"

Reactions: gamecockblack
Lele looks 6-4, LaDazia is 6-4, Asia 6-5, Jennings 6-3, Keke 6-2. I know what Dawn's game plan is, pound, pound and pound. If we can get outside scoring from our guards, we will be tough to beat. I'm ready for basketball.

Might be a pretty good team. When I think of who might have returned.....:rolleyes:
Lawd hayah muhcy...:)..If our outside shooting is good, this team will be better than last year...It's just as athletic and even deeper...Alexis Jennings is the real deal...If the freshmen make the adjustment this team will rock and roll back to the final four..

Reactions: Brace1
Lawd hayah muhcy...:)..If our outside shooting is good, this team will be better than last year...It's just as athletic and even deeper...Alexis Jennings is the real deal...If the freshmen make the adjustment this team will rock and roll back to the final four..
Not so sure about better. We lost three players in the first round of the WNBA draft. I think there will be some Growing Pains as the young players gain some experience. A final four is a good possibility, but I'm not ready to say they will be better than last year.

Reactions: Brace1
Not so sure about better. We lost three players in the first round of the WNBA draft. I think there will be some Growing Pains as the young players gain some experience. A final four is a good possibility, but I'm not ready to say they will be better than last year.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't we have seven new players on the team? Six of them are eligible to play, two transfers and Four Freshmen, and one transfer that has to sit out a year.

That is a lot of inexperience. I hope they all take advantage of the playing time they should be able to get over in Japan in the next couple of weeks.

Your point about experience is right on...But you do realize realize that a lot of experience from the championship team does return...We lost Coates before we won even the SEC Tournament...Just count the number of 1rst round picks still in the program...A'ja will be no1 overall..Harris, Jennings and 2 of our freshmen will be first rd picks as well...I believe they will be better...That doesn't guarantee another championship...UCONN will be better this season as well..But i love this teams potential...I remember how few of you believed when i told you last seasons Gamecocks was the most talented and best team in the nation back in Dec of 2016..I caught all kinds of grief from the UCONN worshippers here

I'm holding you to that.;)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't we have seven new players on the team? Six of them are eligible to play, two transfers and Four Freshmen, and one transfer that has to sit out a year.

That is a lot of inexperience. I hope they all take advantage of the playing time they should be able to get over in Japan in the next couple of weeks.
we lost 4 players...added 4 freshmen and a graduate transfer point guard..Alexis Jennings spent the season sitting out..But she has learned the system while being there for the championship run...I read the same skepticism last season after Tiffany and her class finished..Coach Staley has built a great program..She just reloads and gets after it..

Your point about experience is right on...But you do realize realize that a lot of experience from the championship team does return...We lost Coates before we won even the SEC Tournament...Just count the number of 1rst round picks still in the program...A'ja will be no1 overall..Harris, Jennings and 2 of our freshmen will be first rd picks as well...I believe they will be better...That doesn't guarantee another championship...UCONN will be better this season as well..But i love this teams potential...I remember how few of you believed when i told you last seasons Gamecocks was the most talented and best team in the nation back in Dec of 2016..I caught all kinds of grief from the UCONN worshippers here

I always love your info and upbeat posts and I am quite confident we are at least an elite 8 team. A'ja should be player of the year. Beyond that there is a wait and see element to this up coming year. Last year the O was ahead of the D in developing, I think it will be reversed this year.

We are very talented but we do not have a PROVEN game changer and dominant scorer at guard like the last 4 years in Tiffany Mitchell or Kaela Davis. Lele may be that but she is yet play her first college game. To expect her to play at that level right away is unrealistic. My hope is that by the last half of conference play she can become a consistent 12-15ppg player.

Jennings will give us 10&10 night in and night out. She will be quicker than Alaina but not the shot blocker or unmoveable post that Alaina was.

Harris, Jennings, Grissett, and are all quite talented and could be drafted, but proclaiming them surefire 1st round picks is premature.

Reactions: WTFeather
I always love your info and upbeat posts and I am quite confident we are at least an elite 8 team. A'ja should be player of the year. Beyond that there is a wait and see element to this up coming year. Last year the O was ahead of the D in developing, I think it will be reversed this year.

We are very talented but we do not have a PROVEN game changer and dominant scorer at guard like the last 4 years in Tiffany Mitchell or Kaela Davis. Lele may be that but she is yet play her first college game. To expect her to play at that level right away is unrealistic. My hope is that by the last half of conference play she can become a consistent 12-15ppg player.

Jennings will give us 10&10 night in and night out. She will be quicker than Alaina but not the shot blocker or unmoveable post that Alaina was.

Harris, Jennings, Grissett, and are all quite talented and could be drafted, but proclaiming them surefire 1st round picks is premature.

Championships are won in March and April...Jennings is a great shot blocker..Prolly as good a rim defender as Coates or Wilson...She is certainly a better scorer than Coates..I doubt she will rebound as well as Coates...Bianca and Harris can both score more than was needed last season...Bianca Jackson has a pull up jumper that would make Tiffany Mitchell proud...Daz is the real deal and will score in double figures...I don't know how well LeLe will do in March...But from Jan to March i promise you she will be consistently better than KD3 was...KD3 got in her groove just in time for the tournaments...My guess is our newbies will be grooved and good to go by them...There are no guarantees...But there is great evidence to be very optimistic about this program maintaining its standards of excellence

Reactions: WTFeather
Jenningsis a great shot blocker..Prolly as good a rim defenderas Coates or Wilson...She is certainly a better scorerthan Coates....

Please Lawcalcock stop It and get real.
Coates had 173 career blocks (A'ja even more in just 3 years and oh by the way was defensive player of the year) and was unmoveable down low. Jennings has 53 career blocks. Jennings has averaged 8.9 over two seasons and will have to average 15 ppg over the next two seasons just to catch Alaina. How quickly we forget just how good Alaina was.

Last edited:
Jenningsis a great shot blocker..Prolly as good a rim defenderas Coates or Wilson...She is certainly a better scorerthan Coates....

Please Lawcalcock stop It and get real.
Coates had 173 career blocks (A'ja even more in just 3 years and oh by the way was defensive player of the year) and was unmoveable down low. Jennings has 53 career blocks. Jennings has averaged 8.9 over two seasons and will have to average 15 ppg over the next two seasons just to catch Alaina. How quickly we forget just how good Alaina was.

You see everything superficially...I remember Coates as a freshmen and sophomore...She was not anywhere near the player she was as a jr and sr...It just stupid to compare Jennings a sophomore to Coates as a sr...ppl close to the program say she is working hard and really upgraded her skills..And yes she has more offensive talent than Coates...If you think Alexis can't block 120 shots in 2 seasons you have never seen her play..I have never claimed Jennings is the beast Alaina was..But Coates was 5' and in player...That's why we played more effectively without her...Coates was a paint clogger..Jennings has a very good midrange jumper and will not be in Wilson's way like Coates was..

I love having Jennings on the team and as I said I expect her to be a 10 & 10 and she will be a better fit offensively. It's just you get so enthused you oversell. when you say her defense is on a par with A'ja and Alaina and that she better offensively than Alaina you are WAY overselling. Just let Alexis be herself. Soph to Soph Alaina was 2nd team all SEC & 1st team Defense.

I love having Jennings on the team and as I said I expect her to be a 10 & 10 and she will be a better fit offensively. It's just you get so enthused you oversell. when you say her defense is on a par with A'ja and Alaina and that she better offensively than Alaina you are WAY overselling. Just let Alexis be herself. Soph to Soph Alaina was 2nd team all SEC & 1st team Defense.

I am not over selling anything...we disagree...SO WHAT? And yes she is a better offensive player than Coates ever was...Coates was a big time banger that could score close to the basket make free throws some nights...But Coates clogged the paint and cut scoring opportunities for A'ja, KD3 and Gray..

nuttin but luv fer ya brutha:):):)

Coates will certainly go down as one of the best, if not THE best true post in USC history. Jennings is a high quality player, that likely won't be as dominant as Coates was and could be on any given night, but she will obviously be very good for SC. She probably has some strengths that where Coates was not a strong and vise versa (Jennings may have more range, but I don't know that I've ever seen a big girl who could get up and down the floor like Coates). For me, as long as she can rebound, and put in shots from 4-feet, and hit free throws, she'll be fine.

Side by side comparison from Freshman and Sophomore year: (stats don't always tell full story)
Coates 1st 2 years only: 11.7 ppg/8.1 rpg, 126 total blocks. FG: 59%, 3FG: 0-0, FT: 67%, 22 double-doubles
Jennings 1st 2 years: 8.9 ppg/5.4 rpg, 54 total blocks. FG: 47%, 3FG: 25% (12-48), FT: 75%, 7 double-doubles

As for the freshmen... obviously all are talented. I never count on ALL freshman to make impacts their first year because it just doesn't happen for all of them. If half of that class can make an impact (score), team will be very good. Obviously some good competition in the SEC etc. Certainly a tough act to follow after last year. And yes, of course UCONN will be very good. They only lost one player of consequence. We'll see how it plays out.

Go Gamecocks!

Reactions: winloseortie
Coates will certainly go down as one of the best, if not THE best true post in USC history. Jennings is a high quality player, that likely won't be as dominant as Coates was and could be on any given night, but she will obviously be very good for SC. She probably has some strengths that where Coates was not a strong and vise versa (Jennings may have more range, but I don't know that I've ever seen a big girl who could get up and down the floor like Coates). For me, as long as she can rebound, and put in shots from 4-feet, and hit free throws, she'll be fine.

Side by side comparison from Freshman and Sophomore year: (stats don't always tell full story)
Coates 1st 2 years only: 11.7 ppg/8.1 rpg, 126 total blocks. FG: 59%, 3FG: 0-0, FT: 67%, 22 double-doubles
Jennings 1st 2 years: 8.9 ppg/5.4 rpg, 54 total blocks. FG: 47%, 3FG: 25% (12-48), FT: 75%, 7 double-doubles

As for the freshmen... obviously all are talented. I never count on ALL freshman to make impacts their first year because it just doesn't happen for all of them. If half of that class can make an impact (score), team will be very good. Obviously some good competition in the SEC etc. Certainly a tough act to follow after last year. And yes, of course UCONN will be very good. They only lost one player of consequence. We'll see how it plays out.

Go Gamecocks!

I am interested to see what the Penn State grad-transfer can add. She will be immediately eligible.

I am interested to see what the Penn State grad-transfer can add. She will be immediately eligible.

She'll add depth...Cuevas and Harris are too good for her to make a big impact...But i understand she is a very heady player and a tough defender

Go Gamecocks!
You omitted the reality that Jennings played on a team full of volume shooting guards that did not feed the post...USC fed Coates every time down the court...All you have to do is observe the skill set and see that Jennings is the better offensive player...One last point. Wilson certainly runs the floor better than Coates..But i doubt Jennings does...You are right about freshmen.. Some make the adjustment and some need a year or 2..I don't gamble..But i'd bet big money on Lele and Daz..Grissett prolly could have played in the SEC as a HS sr

It should be another fun year. You guys can argue all you want about Coates/Jennings. I'll take Coates anyday. She won a lot of games for the Gamecocks. Jennings may be good, but she hasn't won any games here yet. But I'll be there pulling for her when they throw up the first ball.

It should be another fun year. You guys can argue all you want about Coates/Jennings. I'll take Coates anyday. She won a lot of games for the Gamecocks. Jennings may be good, but she hasn't won any games here yet. But I'll be there pulling for her when they throw up the first ball.
If she plays to her size and adds anything on offense, she will be a welcome addition - and I mean "addition" literally.

there is no question Coates is the better overall player..That's not even a debate...The point i am trying to make is Jennings is a more skilled offensive player that allows us to keep the floor spaced for A'ja and our wings..With a beast like Coates in the paint there was always 4 defenders surrounding she and Aja...No room to operate and our offense was stymied

DCdQHUdUQAEmocM.jpg:large

I am shocked that Lele Grissett is taller than 6'2" Mikiah Harrigan and is as tall or taller than 6'3" Alexis Jennings...No wonder Coach Staley called her the most underrated 17rth ranked recruit ever...Her athleticism at that size should prove an incredible asset

lawcock: Heard any news on the Nipponese games? You know what they call a Nipponese sky diver? A little 'nip' in the air. 'Preciate your gal cock news.

there is no question Coates is the better overall player..That's not even a debate...The point i am trying to make is Jennings is a more skilled offensive player that allows us to keep the floor spaced for A'ja and our wings..With a beast like Coates in the paint there was always 4 defenders surrounding she and Aja...No room to operate and our offense was stymied

Let's hope you are right in that she is more skilled. I still look for a lot of play going inside to Wilson and Jennings, and you know Wilson is going to be double teamed and if we can't hit from outside consistently, it maybe triple-teamed.

Championships are won in March and April...Jennings is a great shot blocker..Prolly as good a rim defender as Coates or Wilson...She is certainly a better scorer than Coates..I doubt she will rebound as well as Coates...Bianca and Harris can both score more than was needed last season...Bianca Jackson has a pull up jumper that would make Tiffany Mitchell proud...Daz is the real deal and will score in double figures...I don't know how well LeLe will do in March...But from Jan to March i promise you she will be consistently better than KD3 was...KD3 got in her groove just in time for the tournaments...My guess is our newbies will be grooved and good to go by them...There are no guarantees...But there is great evidence to be very optimistic about this program maintaining its standards of excellence
Law you mentioned Harris. That is where some of the scoring that we lost is going to come from IMO. Down the stretch last year you began to see Harris attack the rim. She wasn't needed as a scorer last year. But this year you will see a more aggressive Harris on offense.

Law you mentioned Harris. That is where some of the scoring that we lost is going to come from IMO. Down the stretch last year you began to see Harris attack the rim. She wasn't needed as a scorer last year. But this year you will see a more aggressive Harris on offense.

agreed...in addition Cuevas can get you 15-18 vs anybody..plus Bianca has a habit of stepping when needed in the biggest games..she has the clutch gene like A'ja and Gray...One player no one is talking about that has the talent to score, rebound and block shots at a high rate is KiKi Harrigan...She is very athletic and flashed brilliance at times..If she can get stronger and improve her footwork watchout...Most fans(myself included) believe she will lose minutes due to the arrival of Jennings, Grissett and Daz...But i hope they all max their potential and do great things

I'm not sure why Clemson likes making fun of women's sports; they are the fans that will show up at our softball games because their school doesn't even have a team

agreed...in addition Cuevas can get you 15-18 vs anybody..plus Bianca has a habit of stepping when needed in the biggest games..she has the clutch gene like A'ja and Gray...One player no one is talking about that has the talent to score, rebound and block shots at a high rate is KiKi Harrigan...She is very athletic and flashed brilliance at times..If she can get stronger and improve her footwork watchout...Most fans(myself included) believe she will lose minutes due to the arrival of Jennings, Grissett and Daz...But i hope they all max their potential and do great things
I'm with you on KiKi. She has a sweet stroke. I would love to know what she ended up with % wise on FT's last season. She seemed to be thinking a little too much last season. But looked much better down the stretch. Those extra tourny games are going to pay off big time.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT