ADVERTISEMENT

WBB Transfer portal LSU

winloseortie

Feb 21, 2007
columbia
Mulkey got Moon Ursin as a grad transfer from Baylor. She a 5’6” guard who averaged almost 13 ppg as a senior.

LSU ends up with 2 total transfers from Baylor, in addition to Ursin. Hannah Gusters is the other, 6’5” Fr center who was highly recruited but played very limited minutes at Baylor. Autumn Newby 6’2” F 9 ppg from Vandy also joins the team

In addition all SEC PG Khayla Pointer 17 ppg, Christine Aifuwa a 6’5” C 12 ppg and Jailin Cherry 5 ppg all opted to come back for an extra Sr year.

These 6 will be the backbone of the team. The recruiting class was very lightly regarded except for F 6’2” Grace Hall #86 on hoop gurlz.

LSU should be an NCAA team next season but will graduate 5 starters/key players and 8total. If they are to finish in the top half of the SEC for 22-23 they will have to hit the jackpot on their recruiting class and some transfers.

Last edited:
Reactions: DarkCock
i'm sure dawn is shaking in her boots
Well that was exactly the purpose of the post. LSU will be good next year, may even pull some upsets but simply does not have enough to win the conference. Then the bottom drops out. As great as Mulkey is, it is going to take her 3-4 seasons to really challenge us.
She also is in the SEC not the one team big 12.
Some on this board immediately spread, woe is us, Kim Mulkey is going to replace DS right now.

Reactions: Gamekem
Where are we on our 2022 class. We have no one committed so far.
Only about 1/3 of the top 100 recruits are committed.
Ashlynn Watkins #12 and Talaysia Cooper #18 are in DS’s sights. She has been recruiting both for 5 years and they are in state. It is very reasonable to think we get both and that would meet all of our needs.
However no one knows what #2 Janiah Baker is going to do. Several on this board hope/ believe we are deep in the mix with her. If she comes here the class will be a top 3 national class at worst

Only about 1/3 of the top 100 recruits are committed.
Ashlynn Watkins #12 and Talaysia Cooper #18 are in DS’s sights. She has been recruiting both for 5 years and they are in state. It is very reasonable to think we get both and that would meet all of our needs.
However no one knows what #2 Janiah Baker is going to do. Several on this board hope/ believe we are deep in the mix with her. If she comes here the class will be a top 3 national class at worst

Janiah Barker much like our staff is very tight lipped about recruiting. This clip above mention she has a top 5 and will travel in the fall. Just skimming her page I did notice that she seem to like a lot of Lady Vols and Gamecocks related content in recent months. So I assume we're still in the mix.

Janiah Barker much like our staff is very tight lipped about recruiting. This clip above mention she has a top 5 and will travel in the fall. Just skimming her page I did notice that she seem to like a lot of Lady Vols and Gamecocks related content in recent months. So I assume we're still in the mix.

I heard (not that I claim to be an insider) that Dawn knew taking Cardoso would probably cost her either Barker or Watkins. I don't blame her. Cardoso has already proven she play at an all-conference level in D1.

I would love to get Barker and Watkins, but that would be a crowded front court. Dawn is a great saleswoman, so who knows?

Reactions: TN-Gamecock
I heard (not that I claim to be an insider) that Dawn knew taking Cardoso would probably cost her either Barker or Watkins. I don't blame her. Cardoso has already proven she play at an all-conference level in D1.

I would love to get Barker and Watkins, but that would be a crowded front court. Dawn is a great saleswoman, so who knows?
Not sure that fits positionally. Watkins is listed at 6’3” and that is a stretch, she has a low post game but I don’t believe she is tall enough to be full time a 5. She is working on her perimeter.
Barker is just a monster sized 3 with a great perimeter game. Neither of them are competing with Cardoso.
I get giddy thinking of a lineup of 6’1” Cooper at PG, 6’1” Rivers at SG, 6’2” Barker at SF, 6’4” Feagin at PF and 6’7” Cardoso at C

Reactions: Gamekem
Not sure that fits positionally. Watkins is listed at 6’3” and that is a stretch, she has a low post game but I don’t believe she is tall enough to be full time a 5. She is working on her perimeter.
Barker is just a monster sized 3 with a great perimeter game. Neither of them are competing with Cardoso.
I get giddy thinking of a lineup of 6’1” Cooper at PG, 6’1” Rivers at SG, 6’2” Barker at SF, 6’4” Feagin at PF and 6’7” Cardoso at C

So your thinking is that should Cooper come to USC, she'll start at PG over Johnson??

Yeah I echo what was said earlier, I don't see either of them playing much 5 so I don't see how Cardoso effects their recruiting. Also we don't know how long Cardoso will wait to go pro. She has 4 years of eligibility left due to Covid but I believe she will be eligible to go pro and can easily obtain a degree (if she wants) within 2 years, although I'm personally hoping she stays for at least 3.

I think Watkins is a true post player and very athletic, she has a lot of upside and potential and she will likely play primarily at the 4.

Janiah Barker is a true versatile player who has a post body and guard skills, I think you can plug her in at any spot but I see her primarily playing 2-4. A matchup nightmare that I would akin to Haley Jones of Stanford or Lele but with consistent offensive range.

The only issue I can see with recruiting is with each other, but I think there's enough room that far in the future for both players to get quality minutes.

Yeah I echo what was said earlier, I don't see either of them playing much 5 so I don't see how Cardoso effects their recruiting. Also we don't know how long Cardoso will wait to go pro. She has 4 years of eligibility left due to Covid but I believe she will be eligible to go pro and can easily obtain a degree (if she wants) within 2 years, although I'm personally hoping she stays for at least 3.

I think Watkins is a true post player and very athletic, she has a lot of upside and potential and she will likely play primarily at the 4.

Janiah Barker is a true versatile player who has a post body and guard skills, I think you can plug her in at any spot but I see her primarily playing 2-4. A matchup nightmare that I would akin to Haley Jones of Stanford or Lele but with consistent offensive range.

The only issue I can see with recruiting is with each other, but I think there's enough room that far in the future for both players to get quality minutes.
There are only so many minutes to go around.

Reactions: winloseortie
As it currently stands, there could be some trouble in their freshman season but we're going to lose 5 players next season and at least 10 over the next two seasons. If they can withstand their Freshman season, there will be minutes to spare.

Dawn has shown she plays everybody and puts the best out there, Barker is elite and will not have to worry about PT. Really I don't think any recruit should ever worry about that here. Barker and Cardoso are not even the same position, so that has to be false info coming in from other programs recruiting her.

Dawn has shown she plays everybody and puts the best out there, Barker is elite and will not have to worry about PT. Really I don't think any recruit should ever worry about that here. Barker and Cardoso are not even the same position, so that has to be false info coming in from other programs recruiting her.
Adding Cardoso means Amihere doesn't have to play the 5 unless Cardoso and Boston are both in foul trouble. So we will have two full-time power forwards in Amihere and Feagin (obviously I'm talking two years from now. Saxton will be on the team next season). I also believe coach would like to play Beal more at the 4 but has been limited due to the lack of wing depth. That is no longer a problem.

Of course, opposing coaches are pointing that out to potential recruits. Dawn counters by being very honest with recruits and their parents. Bree Hall's parents have testified to this on social media. I'm sure Dawn is telling Watkins, in particular, the odds of her playing meaningful minutes immediately are pretty low. Hopefully, especially since she's a Columbia kid, she'll be willing to wait it out. Barker is more of a wild card. I simply don't know what she's thinking.

But even if one or both choose not to come her, there is no reason to be pessimistic. With the new transfer rule, we are in excellent position to simply poach players to fill our needs. I'm not sure that's the best thing for college basketball, but that is the rule and I'm sure Dawn will take full advantage of it.

Did a little research on WBB Transfer portal...

62 of the 65 P5 schools had a player enter the portal. Only Ga Tech, UCLA, and the Gamecocks had no players transfer.

214 P5 players entered the portal
76 transferred to another P5 school
108 transferred to non P5 schools
30 still looking
Syracuse was the biggest loser with 12 players moving on.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT