ADVERTISEMENT

WBB: Women's college basketball Way-Too-Early Top 25 for 2022-23

We loose Henderson and Saxton, that will hurt. Who runs the point?

The key will be how Raven Johnson comes back from that injury. We expected her to help at Point Guard this year, but she was out due to the ACL injury. The injury happened real early in the season. So, she should be close to being ready to go by the time next season rolls around. Also, Eniya Russell may get a crack at the point too. Remember, it took Destanni two years to get into our rotation. If Russell is patient and sticks around, this may be her time. You can tell she has potential. She even got in the game quite a bit as a freshman. She just has to fine tune her decision making. However, you can tell she has the ability to score.

Last edited:
The key will be how Raven Johnson comes back from that injury. We expected her to help at Point Guard this year, but she was out due to the ACL injury. The injury happened real early in the season. So, she should be close to being ready to go by the time next season rolls around. Also, Eniya Russell may get a crack at the point too. Remember, it took Destanni two years to get into our rotation. If Russell is patient and sticks around, this may be her time. You can tell she has potential. She even got in the game quite a bit as a freshman. She just has to fine tune her decision. However, you can tell she has the ability to score.
I agree Russell has a scorer's mentality and decent ability to create and get to the rim. She actually shot the 3 fairly well in her very limited action this year too.

However, I'm not sure what if any role she'll have next year. She was literally a mop up duty player and the freshman seemed to take those minutes. Wouldn't be surprised to see her transfer out.

Last edited:
I agree Russell has a scorer's mentality and decent ability to create and get to the rim. She actually shot the 3 fairly well in her very limited action this year too.

However, I'm not sure what of any role she'll have next year. She was literally a mop up duty player and the freshman seemed to take those minutes. Wouldn't be surprised to see her transfer out.
We will be really be light on ball handlers next year. So, Russell may be talked into staying or we may look for a transfer to help us there. I don't see us standing pat on depending on Johnson totally after coming off of ACL surgery. I thought Cooke could be a combo guard for us. However, her decision making is shaky too. Dawn trusts Amihere to handle the ball over Cooke. We have a big and a wing coming in as freshmen so that doesn't help in the ball handling area. Talaysia Cooper played the point in high school, but that was at a 1A high school where she was far and away the best player of the court most nights. I see her as more of a long term wing that can really help us. I wouldn't be surprised if Cooper pushed all of our wings for playing time including Beal.

Yes, the forward and center positions are straight - like everyone said above the PG will be the issue.

It can't be Zia, she is too far removed from that position right now, not to mention the offense stalls whenever she had a hand at the point. Raven had a whole year to sit and learn the playbook. Rivers and Cooper should bring up the back end. I honestly don't see Russell staying on. Last year she posted a message about leaving the program and removed it quickly. Now that she's got a ring she wants to start. She was a McDonald's All American after all. But if she stays, I still see bench duties for her.

Look to the portal as well. I'm sure there is a Jr or Sr out there that wants to help us 'run it back'

Also, Dawn hinted that transfers will probably happen - stay tuned.

Side note: In about two years' time I want Dawn to schedule UCLA. They have a nice freshman class coming in that I would like to see against our 2021 & 2022 players.

I don't know, Cooper handled the ball quite well in the McDonald All-American game. Her YouTube highlights show that she distributes the ball well. By the way, a birdie entered the nest today. I hope that it is Barker.

We will be really be light on ball handlers next year. So, Russell may be talked into staying or we may look for a transfer to help us there. I don't see us standing pat on depending on Johnson totally after coming off of ACL surgery. I thought Cooke could be a combo guard for us. However, her decision making is shaky too. Dawn trusts Amihere to handle the ball over Cooke. We have a big and a wing coming in as freshmen so that doesn't help in the ball handling area. Talaysia Cooper played the point in high school, but that was at a 1A high school where she was far and away the best player of the court most nights. I see her as more of a long term wing that can really help us. I wouldn't be surprised if Cooper pushed all of our wings for playing time including Beal.
Playing PG for Dawn is like playing QB was for Spurrier. You better have a thick skin.

Reactions: gamecockblack
Playing PG for Dawn is like playing QB was for Spurrier. You better have a thick skin.
That's why I haven't given up on Russell. Yeah, she was with the shock troops in garbage time, but she stuck out like a sore thumb. You could tell that she has the talent to play somewhere. It's a wonder why she has fallen so far behind on the depth chart. You can only know if you are in practice every day.

You would think some of our younger players would realize how far they have to go when they play in mop up duty and make silly mistakes - or play in practice against the starters and are way behind.

Patience is key and they can come a long way if they will give it time.

I would hope they'd prefer to be on a top team and learn from the best instead of playing a lot and possibly losing a good bit.

I don't know, Cooper handled the ball quite well in the McDonald All-American game. Her YouTube highlights show that she distributes the ball well. By the way, a birdie entered the nest today. I hope that it is Barker.

I don't know. Barker seems really good but why?? Minutes will now open up for Feagin now that Saxton & Grissett are gone. I could be wrong but her vibe from the bench at the All-Star game screamed Liz Cambage.

Don't forget Blackwell from Mizzou is out there as well. I'd rather have her on the squad to run it back than a freshie.

I like Barker's ability to shoot from the outside. She is an emotional player that can run the court. Blackwell would be a good get and a banger on the boards.

I like Barker's ability to shoot from the outside. She is an emotional player that can run the court. Blackwell would be a good get and a banger on the boards.
We have no shortage of players who can bang on the boards. Blackwell doesn't make a lot of sense, considering our roster.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT