ADVERTISEMENT

WCCP to carry Kornbluts sportstalk

That tells you all you need to know about that show and why I stopped listening to that tater garbage

Yep they know how to get the media in their pocket. Like when the hired Pete yanity. We may be on their level with facilities but we will never be on their level media wise. Hell, we can’t even catch a regional baseball game on an fm station in the upstate and they have 24/7 tater network

You guys are paranoid? Kornblut has a decent show. It isn't cutting edge. He never tried to be an overt Gamecock or Tiger...or anything else. He stuck to reporting, with an occasional editorial by Korn. Mostly, what he did in this state back in the 80s earns him a little respect from me, even if I rarely listen to him now.
During a time when no one was really, really covering recruiting, Korn was. He would find out which players were receiving interest from which schools, tell us how big and fast the kids coach lists him to be in the roster, and let us know which local kids were receiving wider recognition.If USC offered a kid, Korn would eventually find out (which in the pre-historic time before social media, you didn't find everything out immediately) and let us know. Clemson fans got the same information.
The man is a reporter. He gives the news, and I like the nostalgia of listening to him. And because he's been in S.C. sports for so long, I'll listen to his occasional monologue or editorial.

You guys are paranoid? Kornblut has a decent show. It isn't cutting edge. He never tried to be an overt Gamecock or Tiger...or anything else. He stuck to reporting, with an occasional editorial by Korn. Mostly, what he did in this state back in the 80s earns him a little respect from me, even if I rarely listen to him now.
During a time when no one was really, really covering recruiting, Korn was. He would find out which players were receiving interest from which schools, tell us how big and fast the kids coach lists him to be in the roster, and let us know which local kids were receiving wider recognition.If USC offered a kid, Korn would eventually find out (which in the pre-historic time before social media, you didn't find everything out immediately) and let us know. Clemson fans got the same information.
The man is a reporter. He gives the news, and I like the nostalgia of listening to him. And because he's been in S.C. sports for so long, I'll listen to his occasional monologue or editorial.

He is old stuff and when Carolina goes on a Spurrierish run, he will be moved over and out much to the delight of Gamecock Nation . . . A Man Without A College.

Reactions: Gaimcock
Kornblut is old school. If you listen to him without accepting the fact that he's all about himself (i.e. stating whatever he has to state on radio just to get more notice), then you're ignorantly giving him precedence. Like I said, Korn is old school without a doubt. IOW's, take him and his intentions w/ a couple of grains of salt. He's a fan of whatever school can get him the most coverage/recognition at any given moment.

Personally, I don't much care about him. In all honesty, he's a "non-matter" as long as he's taken for what he's worth.

Later.

Reactions: Athenscock1
All I know is that most Clemson fans I know think he favors Carolina. So if we both think he pulls for the other guy then hmm.....

I promise you he won’t be on that station long unless he is very very tater slanted and I’m sure he will know that from the start. Remember the guy they fired after West Virginia whooped dat azz?

I promise you he won’t be on that station long unless he is very very tater slanted and I’m sure he will know that from the start. Remember the guy they fired after West Virginia whooped dat azz?
See, but I've been listening to Korn, sometimes nightly (late 80s-early 90s) sometimes once or twice a week (now)...I've never felt he was pro- Carolina or Clemson. I think he covers the news plus a little personal input. WCCP knows what he is. I can't see Korn changing his routine just for that market. Either he flies with their fans or he doesn't.

Reactions: Athenscock1
See, but I've been listening to Korn, sometimes nightly (late 80s-early 90s) sometimes once or twice a week (now)...I've never felt he was pro- Carolina or Clemson. I think he covers the news plus a little personal input. WCCP knows what he is. I can't see Korn changing his routine just for that market. Either he flies with their fans or he doesn't.

That Walt Deptula guy started out unbiased too and now he is the biggest tater homer out there.
Wait and see but I promise it won’t be long and ole kOrn will be giving the gamecocks nothing but back handed compliments or negative pub on that station

Reactions: section907
Phil is a great guy.

He’s been doing this stuff for 30 years now. His career has not been some endeavor to promote Clemson over South Carolina or promote South Carolina over Clemson. He has never been interested in such a thing.

His job has always been to have strong opinions on sports topics. I have agreed with him many times, and disagreed with him many times- which is exactly the type of host I like to tune in.

Name any human being that could talk Clemson and South Carolina sports 5 days a week for 30 years and not find a lot of people upset, angry, disagreeing, etc.. with something.

Phil is a Carolina Grad, but he’s always tried to split it down the middle. If you’re trying to get both fan bases to listen, you can’t show any bias. He’s done a good job for all these years.

Dabo keeps Korn on a short leash and will pull his credentials in a skinny minute if he says anything bad against Clemson. Korn can't even interview Dabo. All he can do is ask questions at a presser.

Dabo keeps Korn on a short leash and will pull his credentials in a skinny minute if he says anything bad against Clemson. Korn can't even interview Dabo. All he can do is ask questions at a presser.
He has said bad things about Clemson over the years.

I enjoy his show, and have for many, many years. And I agree with the comment that alot of Clemson fans listening to wccp won't like him. He won't suck up enough to Dabo and company.

That Walt Deptula guy started out unbiased too and now he is the biggest tater homer out there.
Wait and see but I promise it won’t be long and ole kOrn will be giving the gamecocks nothing but back handed compliments or negative pub on that station
Well, is it being a homer if they are winning a lot ?

It’s homer when you help cover up dabos shenanigans . Wccp not exists to serve taters agenda. Give the owners credit. They found a niche market in Pickens covering the taters. The taters use it however they wish.

Sure , he will cover all programs , but you will NEVER see him ask the hard questions or run a negative story about the taters.

Anywho. IT is wccp. Home of Mickey and deptula. Lol. It solidifies PK’s place of relevancy in the local sports talk arena.

Reactions: FORKCOCK
Well, is it being a homer if they are winning a lot ?

That station trashes the SEC continually. A homer is being a d!?( toward any other teams accomplishments. This week he said the SEC has been terrible compared to the ACC the last few years and the only good team is Bama period and Georgia is getting there. The rest is garbage.

When we were in our run he constantly mocked and berated Spurrier.

Do I listen some yes because I have no other sports option on regular fm because I am a gamecock and we haven’t figured out people like free radio yet

Anyone that thinks WCCP is putting Kornblut on for 2 hours in primetime because they see him as impartial with balanced coverage is terribly naive... Recently Kornbluts content has tilted noticeably to the taters.. That's why he got this deal.. My guess is he will slant even more to the urrnge&perple to stay on air with tater network

Phil is a Carolina Grad, but he’s always tried to split it down the middle. If you’re trying to get both fan bases to listen, you can’t show any bias. He’s done a good job for all these years.
He tries and for the most part does well, but it's not hard to tell he leans USC. It's also very obvious that he and Will do not like Dabo. He has been on the Clemson $hit list for a while because of some of his comments. That's why you'll never hear Dabo give him an interview. Pro is the one guy on the show who doesn't let his emotions get the best of him.

Agree. As many of their fans seem to hate him as ours do....and say he is biased in his reporting. In my book, that probably means he is pretty even handed when it comes to reporting. He simply isn't going to be a "rah-rah" guy for any school.....and doing what he does, he shouldn't.

EDIT: See post directly above.

Much worse then Korn, sad but true, alot of local shows are horrible in various parts of the state, glad they have not gone statewide, so I wont rant against him, if he did not have a slot, a much worse alternative could.

He tries to be neutral, both fan bases have fans that cant stand him, which is probably his intention.

I will give you a example try the Clemson/Nascar show in Florence from 4-6 pm, on the fan, it has a one host a Tater aptly named Dirtie and some neutral nascar guy. They basically trash the Gamecocks, and talk up Clemson and pick Nascar winners, its a terrible show, imho.

One time they talked about how uncool it was for Brad Scott not to feel welcome at USC for the first bowl team reunion, after much ragging Gamecock fans, one fan finally reminded them that he was carried off the field in 1999 as a reason

Thats one example of a show that is much worse then Korn in my mind, so I'm ok with Korn.

I also prefer Korn to Teddy reading the newspaper on air, as another example

Last edited:
I gave up local "sports talk radio" and this whole thread is the reason why. TuneIn is your friend.

That was Dan Scott, the voice of Clemson baseball.

This makes entirely too much sense for this thread.

Anyone that thinks WCCP is putting Kornblut on for 2 hours in primetime because they see him as impartial with balanced coverage is terribly naive... Recently Kornbluts content has tilted noticeably to the taters.. That's why he got this deal.. My guess is he will slant even more to the urrnge&perple to stay on air with tater network
If he does that he will lose more listeners than he gains.

All I know is that most Clemson fans I know think he favors Carolina. So if we both think he pulls for the other guy then hmm.....

I've heard the same thing from both sides. Personally, I check SportsTalk website everyday for free recruiting info. I appreciate what the provide.

He has said bad things about Clemson over the years.
You are damn right he has. I remember when he did an interview with a mother whose son had issues with his recruitment/or playing. She tore Clemson and bowdown and that coach to pieces and she stated the facts. Clemson supporters were livid. He's done other things that put clemson in their place just ass he's done to our program.

Living in Athens, Ga., I was ecstatic to find his show on an fm station out of Anderson. Prior to that I got little if any coverage about USC in the Athens/Atlanta market. I especially enjoyed his coverage of recruiting. First of all, Phil is a business man. He earns a living for his family doing this. He would be foolish to favor one program over the other and alienate what audience he has left. With the advent of the net, most fans get their information online.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT