ADVERTISEMENT

We are going bowling.....

The problem is that most teams lose money going on bowl trips. With the current financial state of most Universities I could see a situation where many schools will decline invitations.
In the lesser bowls, isn't most or a significant portion of the "payout" to each school in tickets? For example, they give the school 15,000 tickets and if they are able to sell them for $100 each, that amounts to a $1.5 million payout? You are right that most of the smaller bowls are money-losers for the schools, so in these days of socially-distanced crowds, it seems there would be even less revenue to disburse.

Reactions: ClemDent
I went last night. Average near 150 on 4 games. A little short of my usual. No, I'm not very good.

Why would they even attempt have bowl games this year? Seems to me as if this would be a losing ($$$) proposition for all involved. Who would want to watch a 4 win team play a 5 win team? No ticket sales, no fans in the stands, no concessions and no people traveling to the host cities and spending money on food and lodging equals no revenue. I don't get it.....

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
Going Bowling at 3-7
giphy.gif

In the lesser bowls, isn't most or a significant portion of the "payout" to each school in tickets? For example, they give the school 15,000 tickets and if they are able to sell them for $100 each, that amounts to a $1.5 million payout? You are right that most of the smaller bowls are money-losers for the schools, so in these days of socially-distanced crowds, it seems there would be even less revenue to disburse.
This is why some conferences on certain occasions have subsidized their member schools in loser bowls to ensure no loss of money by reason of participating in them.

I went last night. Average near 150 on 4 games. A little short of my usual. No, I'm not very good.
Yeah, I'm ready to get back on the lanes. This will be the first year I have not league bowled in 39 years. 150 ain't bad!

So, if we were to only win 3-4 games but our grades were good, we go bowling?

I can already see Ray now, touting "progress." 🤭

The only thing is, we still have to be invited and it has been my experience in life that the pretty girls get asked to the dance a helluva lot sooner than the ugly ones.

Unless the bowls are forced to honor certain conference affiliations, under the current circumstances, they may opt for deserving local schools that never get a chance to play in some of these bowls, regardless of their record.

P.S. I can already see Ray now, touting "progress." (lol, along with most posters, lol)

Reactions: Legendary Cock
ADVERTISEMENT