ADVERTISEMENT

We are going to beat Clemson

bostonsc

Feb 1, 2006
I know they are the better overall team but we will win. A home game (most likely at night) and WB will be ridiculously loud and the players will be fired up. I don't think Clemson is as good as most people think either. I can't wait to knock them out of the playoff race. Carolina wins 27-23.

Only way this happens is if offense has a complete game and we have at least a huge field changing special teams or defensive turnover. I’m gonna be an optimist and go
34-24 Cocks

Reactions: GC2020 and pettyw
We have a chance... if we can avoid a huge TD run of 50 yards + to Etienne or Feaster I think we stay in the game regardless. Jake is clearly going to have to play his best game of the year as well.

How many times can a team be ambushed in one year? How likely are they to be ambushed in an imperative rivalry game situation - having already been ambushed? To beat them, we will have to beat a team playing better than the way UPC played up at Syracuse.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jpcooper
We will not beat them this year. Next year is a whole nother story. We will be top 15 preseason and we will kick their ass at home next year.

Reactions: angrycock1
We're going to have to hit Kelly Bryant hard and often. If we can contain him, we have a good chance to slow their offense down. His running is the key to their offense and he's a heck of a runner. Their vulnerability is obviously in the passing game.

I agree that Jake Bentley has to play very well to give us a chance on offense. He needs to be accurate and make good decisions the entire game and not in spurts. Hopefully, our line can somehow hold up against their front and give Jake some time to throw and open a few holes. We have to move the sticks some to keep our defense rested enough for the fourth quarter.

We will not be able to make the kind of mistakes we made on Saturday, both sides of the ball. We did some really good things on both sides of the ball, but just had mental letdowns on occasions.

You mean funny as in ha-ha or as in ironic?

Hmmm, good question, I think ironic if we beat Clemson due to all the the complaints on Roper especially if they are saving playbook some.

I love this staff, I think Muschamp wants a certain higher level of conservativeness in his offense to compliment his defense.

That is what all the UF fans say, maybe it doesn't matter who the OC is.

Hmmm, good question, I think ironic if we beat Clemson due to all the the complaints on Roper especially if they are saving playbook some.

I love this staff, I think Muschamp wants a certain higher level of conservativeness in his offense to compliment his defense.

That is what all the UF fans say, maybe it doesn't matter who the OC is.
If he takes that approach, it might blow up on him again. We're not going to be a HUNH offense under Muschamp. We don't need to be. What we need to be is an offense that is both balanced and finishes drives with points - or when we can't score points, at least flips the field when we need to.

Reactions: joplin gamecock1
We will not beat them this year. Next year is a whole nother story. We will be top 15 preseason and we will kick their ass at home next year.
I'm confused. I thought we were playing them up there next year. Do you mean their home or our home?

Last edited:
I hate to put all the pressure on one kid, but he did tweet "Never again," so Jake seems to have accepted the challenge. The game is about him. Clemson's defense is bonkers: they let receivers run wide open all the time. But what can you say? It works, a lot. However, in their last 3 losses, against Syracuse, Pitt, Bama, they gave up big plays in the passing game. Jake's going to get some opportunities and he's going to have to connect because we're not going to be able to run the ball consistently against them.

need to knock Bryant out of the game early, our D line is playing well so anything is possible. Have to avoid their backs hitting the long runs and make Bryant throw from the pocket. Fenton plays tight vs Cain, we limit Renfro making driving extending catches we have a chance.

Reactions: funktavious
Wish we had DJ to knock Renfro's head off. I can't stand that kid (I mean that as a compliment). I suppose Jaymest will be lineup against him in the slot. That's a tough matchup for a freshman.

I know they are the better overall team but we will win. A home game (most likely at night) and WB will be ridiculously loud and the players will be fired up. I don't think Clemson is as good as most people think either. I can't wait to knock them out of the playoff race. Carolina wins 27-23.

The big question Carolina will have to answer is where are the points going to come from? South Carolina's offense currently ranks #106 in the country in total offense and #92 in scoring offense. By comparison, the Clemson offense who everyone seems to think is a handoff or Kelly Bryant run (in many ways it is) ranks #33 and #38 respectively.

The #106 offense will then be playing against the #8 team in total defense and #7 in scoring defense. Conversely, the #33 offense is playing the #53 team in total defense and #27 scoring defense.

Without a big special teams play or defensive touchdowns, I don't see Carolina scoring more than 14 points max against the Clemson defense. Clemson doesn't have the firepower to score 56 like they did last year, but the defense is still good enough to shut down most offenses if they bring their "A" game.

I see this game being a Clemson win with a final score somewhere in the 31-14 range.

Dilly Dilly!

The defense will have to give 100% on every down like they did against UGA. We will also need for Bentley to stop throwing high, hit some long throws early and avoid mistakes. He was able to throw 3 interceptions and beat Florida, but we will need him to be mistake free to beat Clemson. We know what Bentley is capable of achieving.....and if he's firing on all cylinders I think we win this game in a close one.

Gonna have to dial up a lot of quick throws like against NC State. The recipe for disaster for us has been slow developing plays and draws against a good DLine. Hopefully Venables doesn’t watch the AandM tape where basically they blitz every down down and Jake stays on his back.

Reactions: CMac3428
On paper we don't win this match. Our lowly ranked offense against their highly ranked defense spells "not enough points scored." But the game is played on grass, between emotionally-charged young kids. Anything is possible. Go Cocks!

The big question Carolina will have to answer is where are the points going to come from? South Carolina's offense currently ranks #106 in the country in total offense and #92 in scoring offense. By comparison, the Clemson offense who everyone seems to think is a handoff or Kelly Bryant run (in many ways it is) ranks #33 and #38 respectively.

The #106 offense will then be playing against the #8 team in total defense and #7 in scoring defense. Conversely, the #33 offense is playing the #53 team in total defense and #27 scoring defense.

Without a big special teams play or defensive touchdowns, I don't see Carolina scoring more than 14 points max against the Clemson defense. Clemson doesn't have the firepower to score 56 like they did last year, but the defense is still good enough to shut down most offenses if they bring their "A" game.

I see this game being a Clemson win with a final score somewhere in the 31-14 range.
That's just waaaaay too rational.

It looks like the Clemson defense is primarily designed to beat Alabama or that type of offense. There are vulnerabilities to exploit if we prepare.

How many times can a team be ambushed in one year? How likely are they to be ambushed in an imperative rivalry game situation - having already been ambushed? To beat them, we will have to beat a team playing better than the way UPC played up at Syracuse.

We don't have to ambush them...Syracuse didn't ambush them...The Cuse led the whole game...Surely by halftime the mighty Taters knew they were in a fight...They still lost...They are good...They are not unbeatable...

I know we are good enough to beat them..Not sure we are aggressive enough...Syracuse attacked them vertically and horizontally with the passing game...Then they ran the ball right at them with tempo...Our OC behaves as if he has to pay taxes on the vertical passing game...Also we are too concerned about time of possession to tempo their big massive defensive front...Not sure we will beat them...But i know we can

It looks like the Clemson defense is primarily designed to beat Alabama or that type of offense. There are vulnerabilities to exploit if we prepare.

Well, Alabama might be a little better than us. Soooo, there is that....better have screen passes galore and be in short yardage. We have weapons.

I think we win, and it's a win-win situation. Here's why.

We're cooler. Always have been, always will be. I mean, "Clemson?" Think about that for a minute. Clemson. They should've had Junior Samples in orange overalls riding Arnold Zippel in purple overalls as their mascot, it would've been more historically accurate.

Anyway, even when we lose a game, we win because we're not Clemson. But this year, it's a win-win. Cause we're gonna win.

Or whatever I was trying to say.

We don't have to ambush them...Syracuse didn't ambush them...The Cuse led the whole game...Surely by halftime the mighty Taters knew they were in a fight...They still lost...They are good...They are not unbeatable...

I know we are good enough to beat them..Not sure we are aggressive enough...Syracuse attacked them vertically and horizontally with the passing game...Then they ran the ball right at them with tempo...Our OC behaves as if he has to pay taxes on the vertical passing game...Also we are too concerned about time of possession to tempo their big massive defensive front...Not sure we will beat them...But i know we can
Syracuse, already carrying multiple losses going into that early-season game, did indeed ambush them. You're not going to tell me that UPC did not expect to handle them with relative ease. The whole country expected it.

Reactions: griffgolf
I'm not an X's and O's guy, but based on my limited knowledge, I think we match up with them fairly well. However they are clearly far more talented, and if I just judged this game on paper, would say they'd win by 2 scores.

But...

If we contain the run and don't allow Etienne or Feaster to rip off big plays, I think we stand a decent shot to hold them to around 21-28 points. Scoring will obviously be tough, but Clem is battered on defense, especially in the backfield. Think we will have opportunities to hit some big passing plays. Will not be able to run on them very much.

Have to win turnover battle. Have to hit Bryant hard and often. Have to score TD's in the red zone. Have to force them to kick field goals (their kicker has been shaky at best). Crowd will be raucous, especially if we hit them early.

Will not predict a victory, but I'll admit I'd be surprised if we aren't in it going into the 4th quarter.

56-7 last year. Our offense worse, our defense better. Playing at your house. Your team is better. Is it really that much better? 38-14 Tigers.

Oh yeah, we have 6 scholarship seniors. Probably lose a few juniors to the pros. Trevor Lawrence and X Thomas enroll in January. Face it, you will not beat Clemson as long as Dabo is there.

Last edited:
Syracuse, already carrying multiple losses going into that early-season game, did indeed ambush them. You're not going to tell me that UPC did not expect to handle them with relative ease. The whole country expected it.

there is no excuse for the Clemons to lose to Syracuse...It wasn't an ambush...It was as ass whooping

Well I feel better that I can have a couple of stiff drinks in the evening. I recommend the same therapy for many of you. It will be a long night. Sorry.

Reactions: griffgolf
56-7 Last year. Our offense worse, our defense better. Playing at your house. Your team is better. Is it really that much better. 38-14 Tigers.

Oh yeah, we have 6 scholarship seniors. Probably lose a few juniors to the pros. Trevor Lawrence and X Thomas enroll in January. Face it, you will not beat Clemson as long as Dabo is there.
Triggered tater.
eL4DxSF.gif

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT