ADVERTISEMENT

We are owned by KY....a program that has maxed out with two 8-win seasons

I believe that is his point. By no means is it meant to denigrate your program because right now it is better than ours. His point is since we joined the SEC your program overall has been worse than ours. For the first time we begin to reach perennial top 10 status, but then.... We are now a program worse than Kentucky, who if you ask anyone outside of us and Vandy, doesn't take seriously.

Reactions: funktavious
Uk has always been at the bottom of the SEC ladder and USC at the middle, they have switched positions the past few seasons. Besides a good season here and there Neither program has never been taken seriously by the big boys in the SEC.

Just wanted to reply to this to point a few things out. You are correct, Kentucky has generally been at the bottom of the SEC. In the past most Kentucky fans have only cared about basketball, as long as we were somewhat competitive winning half our games and going to an occasional bowl fans were ok with that.

That has changed in recent years. After Rich Brooks retired he had our team meeting those goals, then Joker took over and ran the program into the ground. Fans had enough, a lot were not happy with Jokers hiring in the frirst place as he was an assistant coach on a team that had won half its games. He had not really proven anything. Fans finally got fed up after he ran the program into the ground, and demanded the administration put more effort into the football team. Up to that point we barely paid our coaches much less the assistants, and we were making way too much money from football to not put a better product on the field.

So they went out and hired Stoops, the defensive coordinator from Florida State who I would say has been the best head coaching candidate I've seen Kentucky get in a very long time. They not only paid the man, but they actually started paying for assistants and we got some good recruiters. Its been said that when Stoops came in, he realized we didn't even have the players to compete with Sun Belt teams. They had to build the program from the ground up. If you look at his record this is his fifth year, and we have gotten better every year since.

2013 Kentucky 2–10 0–8 7th (Eastern)

2014 Kentucky 5–7 2–6 6th (Eastern)

2015 Kentucky 5–7 2–6 T–4th (Eastern)

2016 Kentucky 7–6 4–4 T–2nd (Eastern) L TaxSlayer
2017 Kentucky 3–0 1–0 (Eastern)

We also just did a $120 million renovation to the arena. So Kentucky football is actually trying now because the fans are now demanding it. That is a HUGE difference fromt he past. I know people have a hard time getting past history of how a team performs sometimes, but things do change. Notre Dame isn't the powerhouse program they once were. Don't expect Kentucky to be a cakewalk anymore, the fans won't allow a mediocre product these days.

I would also point out that a lot of this change is happening now because in the past the fans always felt like Kentucky was incapable of recruiting actual football talent to this area. Kentucky's rival (Louisville) has proven that to be untrue, and the fans can't stand the city school being better than them. So that competition has also fueled the fire to improve the football team.

Last edited:
Just wanted to reply to this to point a few things out. You are correct, Kentucky has generally been at the bottom of the SEC. In the past most Kentucky fans have only cared about basketball, as long as we were somewhat competitive winning half our games and going to an occasional bowl fans were ok with that.

That has changed in recent years. After Rich Brooks retired he had our team meeting those goals, then Joker took over and ran the program into the ground. Fans had enough, a lot were not happy with Jokers hiring in the frirst place as he was an assistant coach on a team that had won half its games. He had not really proven anything. Fans finally got fed up after he ran the program into the ground, and demanded the administration put more effort into the football team. Up to that point we barely paid our coaches much less the assistants, and we were making way too much money from football to not put a better product on the field.

So they went out and hired Stoops, the defensive coordinator from Florida State who I would say has been the best head coaching candidate I've seen Kentucky get in a very long time. They not only paid the man, but they actually started paying for assistants and we got some good recruiters. Its been said that when Stoops came in, he realized we didn't even have the players to compete with Sun Belt teams. They had to build the program from the ground up. If you look at his record this is his fifth year, and we have gotten better every year since.

2013 Kentucky 2–10 0–8 7th (Eastern)

2014 Kentucky 5–7 2–6 6th (Eastern)

2015 Kentucky 5–7 2–6 T–4th (Eastern)

2016 Kentucky 7–6 4–4 T–2nd (Eastern) L TaxSlayer
2017 Kentucky 3–0 1–0 (Eastern)

We also just did a $120 million renovation to the arena. So Kentucky football is actually trying now because the fans are now demanding it. That is a HUGE difference fromt he past. I know people have a hard time getting past history of how a team performs sometimes, but things do change. Notre Dame isn't the powerhouse program they once were. Don't expect Kentucky to be a cakewalk anymore, the fans won't allow a mediocre product these days.

Sounds like you have an administration that finally gets it. I visited EKU 10 years ago when Western Carolina played there and a few of us went into Lexington to have dinner the night before the game and ran into several nice UK fans all decked out in blue and I always wondered when they would be rewarded with a good football team. You guys have a good one in Stoops.

Sounds like you have an administration that finally gets it. I visited EKU 10 years ago when Western Carolina played there and a few of us went into Lexington to have dinner the night before the game and ran into several nice UK fans all decked out in blue and I always wondered when they would be rewarded with a good football team. You guys have a good one in Stoops.

Yes, the administration has finally got it. I think Jokers last game had practicallty no fans in the arena because fans boycotted it to demand change. Money talks and they realized they had to do something finally. Tha bad part is, we have been so bad for so long that even Kentucky fans have a sort of pessimistic view. We keep expecting the bottom to fall out at any time now.

It's a new time. Holding on to what you once was doesn't work anymore. It's all about the now. The Golden State Warriors were a joke for most of the 90's and 2000's and is now the class of the NBA. Kids these days don't care about what your program looked like ten years ago. UK basketball learned that during the Tubby and Billy Gillispie years. We were lucky that our AD found Cal who was able to get us back to where our fans think we "belong". Fact is...every program is one bad hire away from the dumps.

If Stoops is the answer after one winning season in his first 4 years, and 7-6 at that, then Muschamp should have plenty of time to turn it around and get us to a winning record in year #4. You can preach all you want but Stoops is not your answer if you want anything more than being a .500 team. Sure he's 4-1 against a dumpster fire team run into the ground by Spurrier but I'd hardly say he's turned it around going 5-20 against the other SEC teams. Be real.

If Stoops is the answer after one winning season in his first 4 years, and 7-6 at that, then Muschamp should have plenty of time to turn it around and get us to a winning record in year #4. You can preach all you want but Stoops is not your answer if you want anything more than being a .500 team. Sure he's 4-1 against a dumpster fire team run into the ground by Spurrier but I'd hardly say he's turned it around going 5-20 against the other SEC teams. Be real.

I'd say you are part of what is wrong about sports. You look at one thing rather than the whole picture. I'm not looking at one winning season, I see 4 years of an improving team. You are too short sighted, part of the I want it now generation I would assume. It takes time to build a football team, he's been there 4 years and the team has shown improvement each year. If he was to go back to a losing record this year and then stay at a .500 record then I can assure you that the team will move on. But you have to give coaches time to actually build a proper football team, especially when they are doing it from scratch as he had nothing to work with when he got there.

Muschamp will get his four years. He needs and deserves the opportunity to cycle all his players into the program and see if he can increase the overall talent level sufficiently to make us a true East contender.. But I wouldn't go beyond that with him. I'm too old to wait him out beyond four years. I might be too old anyway.

It's coaching. Muschamp was and is a big mistake for USC. The worst part is that it will take 5-6 years for you to get it.

The problem with USC's program right now is recruiting and not coaching. Spurrier and his lousy recruiting the last few years is the issue. It takes about six years to get rid of bad recruits. When we got slapped with probation after the Mumme fiasco in Lexington a few years ago, it took 7 years to get the recruiting levels up and for the evolution of recruiting classes get better. UK is now recruiting heavily in Ohio and getting players that Ohio State does not need. You should expect better performance when all of Spurrier's recruits are gone. Kentucky and South Carolina are not large in population and must rely of out of state recruits to build their respective programs. Take heart. USC will be fine.

I agree that there is a talent differential, especially on the defense. There is enough talent and ability on offense to score more on Kentucky than we did last night.

I do agree we will improve, but if we continue to play like we did last night, it will take a lot longer. To win it takes good recruiting. To recruit well you have to win. We are just in a vicious cycle right now.

I agree that there is a talent differential, especially on the defense. There is enough talent and ability on offense to score more on Kentucky than we did last night.

I do agree we will improve, but if we continue to play like we did last night, it will take a lot longer. To win it takes good recruiting. To recruit well you have to win. We are just in a vicious cycle right now.

Story of UK's total football existence. Trust me, a bad recruiting class can affect a team for years. It takes 4 years to get rid of a bad class. If they leave early, you are always young. Freshmen in the O-line or D-line are not mature/ strong enough to withstand a year of SEC play. Freshmen skill plays are a different story, but maturity and experience is still an issue. Be patient

I think Stoops has done a remarkable job. I don't think South Carolina has ever been in the shape that UK was when Stoops was hired. Stoops basically inherited an FSC roster. To get a bowl in his 4th season is amazing with what he inherited.

The problem with USC's program right now is recruiting and not coaching. Spurrier and his lousy recruiting the last few years is the issue. It takes about six years to get rid of bad recruits. When we got slapped with probation after the Mumme fiasco in Lexington a few years ago, it took 7 years to get the recruiting levels up and for the evolution of recruiting classes get better. UK is now recruiting heavily in Ohio and getting players that Ohio State does not need. You should expect better performance when all of Spurrier's recruits are gone. Kentucky and South Carolina are not large in population and must rely of out of state recruits to build their respective programs. Take heart. USC will be fine.

True but high school football in the state of South Carolina is light years ahead of Kentucky high school football. On the other hand, high school basketball in Kentucky is light years ahead of high school basketball in South Carolina.

Since 1985.

In that time span, we have had:

Four 8 win seasons
Two 9 win seasons
Three 11 win seasons

Losing 4 in a row to this bunch is one of the worst things EVER in Carolina football history....& it's a putrid history.
Here is my take, Rod. Kentucky is a solid team on both sides of the ball. Their offensive play calling was very smart and effective. But this is not a team that is going to compete against elite teams.

We know if we have a team that can compete at the highest level, because we had it from '10-'13. Tucky fans were saying that we weren't that good when we beat them 54-3 in 2011. They've never had teams that good. Miss St, Arkansas and Ole Miss have had teams in the last decade, that could compete at the highest level, but not Kentucky.

Having said all that, the Gamecocks are not a very good team right now. We have talent on offense, but we don't seem to be able to find a way to use it to methodically move the ball down the field. Our big play capability is now severely hampered by losing Deebo. I hope that Roper will get his play calling together. I hope Jake can show better accuracy and consistency from the QB position. We need him to be the leader of this team, not the hero. Defensively, we surely need more talent. However, I don't believe that Muschamp and Robinson are maximizing the talent that we do have. Very frustrated as a life long Gamecock fan.

Last edited:
Since 1985.

Four 8 win seasons
Two 9 win seasons
Three 11 win seasons

Losing 4 in a row to this bunch is one of the worst things EVER in Carolina football history....& it's a putrid history.

9 decent seasons out of the last 32 does not necessarily make USC a football power. Kentucky football has sucked for many years as well with a few years of better than average results. Both progranms are wannabe programs. USC beat KY several years in a row before we started with our 4 game win streak. I would say both fan bases have had reason to be pissed

So when you made an investment in football you averaged 5 wins a year and got to the Taxslayer bowl? I feel so much better about Saturday now!

7-5 is better than 5-7. Hopefully our program is getting better. Top 20 class coming in next year to supplement existing team. Hopefully, we will be better next year than this year. We have slowly be getting better over the past few years after we fired Joker Phillips as our coach. He was so bad that we only had 17,000 people show up for a SEC game against Vandy. . Huge fan protest that forced University to place more emphasis on football success. football revenues pays the bills for the UK sports programs. Football generates more revenue than basketball. Had to get better or not field other sports in the budget

True but high school football in the state of South Carolina is light years ahead of Kentucky high school football. On the other hand, high school basketball in Kentucky is light years ahead of high school basketball in South Carolina.
You have bumped your head. KY is nowhere near light years ahead of us in high school basketball. Men's college...yes, men's high school...no. There's only 1 top 300 recruit difference in the two state's over the last 5 years.

Last edited:
7-5 is better than 5-7. Hopefully our program is getting better. Top 20 class coming in next year to supplement existing team. Hopefully, we will be better next year than this year. We have slowly be getting better over the past few years after we fired Joker Phillips as our coach. He was so bad that we only had 17,000 people show up for a SEC game against Vandy. . Huge fan protest that forced University to place more emphasis on football success. football revenues pays the bills for the UK sports programs. Football generates more revenue than basketball. Had to get better or not field other sports in the budget

I agree you are moving in the right direction. I think the 3-0 doesn't necessarily mean you are great. Schedule has been weak (us included) but you are winning the games you're supposed to win. UK certainly has a great chance to jump into the East. There is no unbeatable team in the East this year.

Congrats on the win. To the victors go the spoils. Your team was just physically tougher than ours.

We used to own your team once upon a time. That time has passed. You guys have our number right now.

Reactions: FHCat81
You have bumped your head. KY is nowhere near light years ahead of us in high school basketball. Men's college...yes, men's high school...no. There's only 1 top 300 recruit difference in the two state's over the last 5 years.

I have watched every top high school basketball team in South Carolina and Kentucky for the past 30 years. South Carolina has some amazing athletes. However, when the top teams in Kentucky play the top teams in South Carolina. The Kentucky kids ALWAYS win, usually by large margins. Football would be the opposite.

Reactions: martycat1
I agree you are moving in the right direction. I think the 3-0 doesn't necessarily mean you are great. Schedule has been weak (us included) but you are winning the games you're supposed to win. UK certainly has a great chance to jump into the East. There is no unbeatable team in the East this year.

Congrats on the win. To the victors go the spoils. Your team was just physically tougher than ours.

We used to own your team once upon a time. That time has passed. You guys have our number right now.

Agreed. Everything is cyclical when it comes to sports. You may start beating us 4 years in a row next year. Hope not, but it will happen eventually.

Kentucky is not a very good team. We were just that bad on Saturday.

KY is not a great team, agreed. We do have 17 returning starters from a 7-5 team a year ago. One year smarter and stronger. SC played bad for a reason as KY was the stronger team last Saturday night. That has not always been the case. We are starting to be able to redshirt freshmen instead of having to play them too soon. All teams evolve. Our recruiting classes are getting stronger. I honestly do believe we will be tougher team to beat going forward. Stoops has earned his money and is building KY to be a better program. Both of our programs will get better in the future. SC is just a victim of Spurrier's weak recruiting his last few years. Hell, he quit on your program mid season because he could not bear the sight of his recruiting failures. SC is better off with Muschamp than Spurrier

Last edited:
Reactions: ansoncock

no it's not, high school basketball is ky is garbage another myth.

Agree ky is a little better but you are nothing till you start beating the big boys in the sec....and make it to Atlanta if you never do it you are mediocre at least usc has been to Atlanta for the championship ky will NEVER play for sec in football.

This is true. Believe it or not, high school basketball in the state of KY is getting worse while high school football is getting better.

Yes, the administration has finally got it. I think Jokers last game had practicallty no fans in the arena because fans boycotted it to demand change. Money talks and they realized they had to do something finally. Tha bad part is, we have been so bad for so long that even Kentucky fans have a sort of pessimistic view. We keep expecting the bottom to fall out at any time now.
They fans also finally got it. We would show up at every game for decades. We finally had enough and it forced the admin to get it.

Agree ky is a little better but you are nothing till you start beating the big boys in the sec....and make it to Atlanta if you never do it you are mediocre at least usc has been to Atlanta for the championship ky will NEVER play for sec in football.
People said Cal would never win a championship also. Never is a really big word.

I would say that UK is investing more in athletics all around. The SEC cash allows you to increase coaches salaries, and don't forget the new baseball stadium too!

Since 1985.

Four 8 win seasons
Two 9 win seasons
Three 11 win seasons

4e12680e-e575-4f86-b3ab-24c932aecb3c.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT