ADVERTISEMENT

We canceled 2019 game with East Carolina

Makes sense financially. We get the normal 7 home games (barring another giant flood) and get half the take from Charlotte and their over priced tickets. Should more than make up for the $1M we had to throw at ECU to make it happen.

No offense to Pough, but the fans don't care about their team. They just cruise around the stadium.
I stand behind my post, but I do feel a little like Ted Knight in Caddyshack.

Reactions: Cybercock
We need to cancel that game with UNCarolina in 2019 or any other future games after this year that involves playing in Charlotte vs any North Carolina teams....

Those games in Charlotte doesn't really help us in Columbia and takes away an extra home game....

Reactions: howard13
How about Georgia State and coach Elliott? Thats my nomination,

I like the South Alabama matchup in 2014 as well as a opponent

Would be nice to see that game replaced with a Big 10+ or Big XII team, but that would be too much to wish for.
That would be expensive, plus I bet they'd want to play in Dallas or Indy instead of come here.

That would be nice. It would be very tough to get another team to agree with that though.
I wouldn't expect we would be the only ones trying to do it - to beef up the "non-conference" schedule without actually going out of conference. It's already been done once or twice in other leagues.

That would be nice. It would be very tough to get another team to agree with that though.
I get the benefits of doing it, but as a fan it just gives us more of the same. I say mix it up with a team we haven't seen, or don't see often. The fun of non-conference games is the variety. Would love to see us match up with the fake west coast USC.

ECU never gets a lot of credit even when they have a really good team. So if and when you beat them you don't get any credit either.

I'd like to see an OOC game with a team outside the region, like maybe the Big Ten or BIG 12.

I wouldn't expect we would be the only ones trying to do it - to beef up the "non-conference" schedule without actually going out of conference. It's already been done once or twice in other leagues.
I didn't realize that. That's interesting. I knew it was done in baseball. Who's done it in football?

That's fine. Got no problem with that...would enjoy the trip. Actually would love to play in the Horseshoe along the Olentangy.
Lots of awesome possibilities: Horseshoe, Big House, Happy Valley; maybe Rose Bowl, Autzen, Washington out west?
Even if those teams are down in a given year, you'd also still get name recognition for beating them.

Last edited:
Reactions: rogue cock
Lots of awesome possibilities: Horseshoe, Big House, Happy Valley; maybe Rose Bowl, Autzen, Washington out west?
Even if those teams are down in a given year, you'd also still get name recognition for beating them.
Games like that probably have a lot to do with ESPN to kick off the season. I'm sure AD's could get together but it seems like tv dictates schedules these days.

I come in peace with the following comment but I just could not move on from this thread without mentioning it. I first want to say I am sad the Gamecocks will not be coming to Greenville, NC to play the Pirates although I certainly understand the need for home game. Whats funny is how the fans are seeing this backing out of a scheduled game vs when the Heels backed out of/delayed their trip to Columbia :)

I believe it was a very similar situation where they were playing Georgia in ATL and as a result lost a home game and the $$$ associated with it. Looks like a 180 to me :)

Reactions: atl-cock
I come in peace with the following comment but I just could not move on from this thread without mentioning it. I first want to say I am sad the Gamecocks will not be coming to Greenville, NC to play the Pirates although I certainly understand the need for home game. Whats funny is how the fans are seeing this backing out of a scheduled game vs when the Heels backed out of/delayed their trip to Columbia :)

I believe it was a very similar situation where they were playing Georgia in ATL and as a result lost a home game and the $$$ associated with it. Looks like a 180 to me :)
Honestly, if the ACC would finally give up it's "snobbier than thou" attitude toward ECU and invite them to join the conference, backing out of the game would be much more difficult and would bother me more. As someone above mentioned, when ECU is good, playing them is a lose-lose situation. If they were a P-5 conference member, then not so much. And the ACC lost all credibility with the academic snobbery when they invited FSU...and later UL to join.

Reactions: heelzfor2
Honestly, if the ACC would finally give up it's "snobbier than thou" attitude toward ECU and invite them to join the conference, backing out of the game would be much more difficult and would bother me more. As someone above mentioned, when ECU is good, playing them is a lose-lose situation. If they were a P-5 conference member, then not so much. And the ACC lost all credibility with the academic snobbery when they invited FSU...and later UL to join.

Adding another NC school to the ACC? That makes ZERO sense financially, academically, and adds zero to the ACC footprint. Has nothin to do with any snobby attitude. If you are going to add a member they must bring something financially to the league. Espn or any of their tv partners arent ponying up more $$ to add another NC school. Greenville already is an ACC market.

Adding another NC school to the ACC? That makes ZERO sense financially, academically, and adds zero to the ACC footprint. Has nothin to do with any snobby attitude. If you are going to add a member they must bring something financially to the league. Espn or any of their tv partners arent ponying up more $$ to add another NC school. Greenville already is an ACC market.
Similar reasoning on why they didn't want WVU. Kept on hearing it would harm their academic reputation as a conference.

We need to cancel that game with UNCarolina in 2019 or any other future games after this year that involves playing in Charlotte vs any North Carolina teams....

Those games in Charlotte doesn't really help us in Columbia and takes away an extra home game....
You will note that neutral site games are scheduled only in odd-numbered years, i.e., years when we play Clemron at home. Such games function as quasi-road games, and again are scheduled only in odd-numbered years. Recall that inquiries were made about us playing F$U in Orlando in 2016. A big reason why we declined is that it was an even-numbered year, when we played Clemron upstate.

For example, if there was mutual interest in a home-and-home with NCSU, the game in Columbia would be in an even-numbered year, and the game in Raleigh in an odd-numbered one.

I like the idea of playing in Charlotte. More exposure for the program. Would like to see us play the opening weekend in Atlanta even more. 2021 is the earliest that could happen, and it would mean cancelling/postponing another trip to Greenville, NC.

Last edited:
Notwithstanding ESPN, I can't imagine any non-NC ACC member agreeing to admit another NC school to the league.

WVA is a beautiful state. Love The Greenbrier (ACC should've allowed WVU to join just to have conference meetings there). Heck, I saw a ton of confederate flags in Indiana when I lived in Ohio....it was a "WTF" moment.
Southern Indiana has historically been home to many confederate sympathizers.

Yes, the mountains in WV are beautiful. I was specifically referring to Morgantown.

We should schedule FSU. In 2019, Coach Boom will have this team running like a NASCAR car. When we go down to Tallahassee and slap around those ACC light weights, it will show those taters what their sorry little conference is all about. Plus, I know boom would like to flex his muscle in the state of Florida a little.

It will probably end up being a Sun Belt team of some kind. Georgia State appears to have a slot open, but they're going to Knoxville already.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT