ADVERTISEMENT

we dont deserve success

cockamammy

Aug 11, 2011
I hear this from the all small minded on here and the paid pumpers on the radio. This is the pumpers montra. "We are not Alabama you know. We live in a small state wit two schools. We have always been bad. Gamecocks dont deserve championships in football. Just be half full and positive and support your losing team"

Dare to live a fulfilling life people. You only get one

No one nor team deserves success , you make it , earn it through hard and intelligent work , planning , preparation and in the case of athletics RECRUITING and SOLID top to bottom Coaching.

For someone to just say a team or program does not deserve success , would be interesting to see just how successful they themselves are.

Reactions: ReadR00ster
I hear this from the all small minded on here and the paid pumpers on the radio. This is the pumpers montra. "We are not Alabama you know. We live in a small state wit two schools. We have always been bad. Gamecocks dont deserve championships in football. Just be half full and positive and support your losing team"

Dare to live a fulfilling life people. You only get one
Shhh,,,three 11-win seasons are good enough.

Reactions: shorecock
Tell me why we "deserve" success.

Other than the sense of entitlement that seems to pervade American society these days.

I think you all are missing the OP's point. He's saying if we don't think bigger and demand more, we will never get it. Saying "we aren't Bama" is a zhitty outlook on life but it seems to be what the apologists rest their case on. Strive for more and aspire to "be like Bama."
Amirite, OP? I may be off base completely.

Reactions: cockamammy
More often than not, success in college football is bought. We deserve as much as we're willing to pay for. That's how Alabama does it. I'm not talking about paying players, just the overall money spent on the program.

I think you all are missing the OP's point. He's saying if we don't think bigger and demand more, we will never get it. Saying "we aren't Bama" is a zhitty outlook on life but it seems to be what the apologists rest their case on. Strive for more and aspire to "be like Bama."
Amirite, OP? I may be off base completely.

Bama has been putting heart and soul into football excellence for 100 years.

WE didn't take it serious until about 40 years ago. Even then, we were more of a basketball school

WE, as fans, don't buy a football team like many programs have done - even Bama in the old days. Like Auburn and like Clemson more recently. Maybe they "deserve" their success because of their booster "investment", but I don't want to win by that means.

We are no more "deserving" than UNC, NC State, Virginia, VT, Maryland, Miss State, Ole Miss, Kentucky or Missouri.

Bama... Bama... Bama... Why are they the only ones people care about? Can we just get back to being better than Clemson and take it from there? Bama had to start somewhere. Florida had to start somewhere. There is too much awe for Bama and their program. They were awful for many years before Saban got there. We don't have to out recruit these top teams, we just have to recruit somewhat near their level and we aren't able to do that anymore. Than we can have a chance of beating teams like Bama like we beat them the last time.

Reactions: cockamammy
Bama... Bama... Bama... Why are they the only ones people care about? Can we just get back to being better than Clemson and take it from there? Bama had to start somewhere. Florida had to start somewhere. There is too much awe for Bama and their program. They were awful for many years before Saban got there. We don't have to out recruit these top teams, we just have to recruit somewhat near their level and we aren't able to do that anymore. Than we can have a chance of beating teams like Bama like we beat them the last time.

marsha-brady.jpg

Bama has been putting heart and soul into football excellence for 100 years.

WE didn't take it serious until about 40 years ago. Even then, we were more of a basketball school

WE, as fans, don't buy a football team like many programs have done - even Bama in the old days. Like Auburn and like Clemson more recently. Maybe they "deserve" their success because of their booster "investment", but I don't want to win by that means.

We are no more "deserving" than UNC, NC State, Virginia, VT, Maryland, Miss State, Ole Miss, Kentucky or Missouri.
Boosters aren't responsible for Bama's success. Saban is. Boosters were there under Shula and Dubose and they were pretty bad.

Reactions: Laziness
More often than not, success in college football is bought. We deserve as much as we're willing to pay for. That's how Alabama does it. I'm not talking about paying players, just the overall money spent on the program.

^this. If u are willing to pay Kirby smart $2 million a year guess what.? He is your new defensive coordinator. Money well spent and a great young mind in place when that day comes

Boosters aren't responsible for Bama's success. Saban is. Boosters were there under Shula and Dubose and they were pretty bad.

Yet they had talent under those coaches. Saban didn't walk in and start winning without any talent. He didn't go 12-0 in his second season with his own recruits. Bama gets Bama talent even with bad coaches like Shula and Dubose. Saban is a great coach. Meyer is a great coach. Spurrier is a great coach who is not coaching at a Bama or Ohio State. He has to do more with less.

Reactions: Quisp
Bout the same as it has always been - except the 2014 class was an academic disaster.

We put more than our usual share of players in the NFL or on practice squads, from the 2009-2011 recruiting classes. The W-L success reflected that.

We'll see how many get drafted, or signed as free agents from 2013 - 2015. And, the W-L record will reflect that....

Reactions: bmhood1984
Florida joined the SEC in 1933 and didn't win an SEC championship until 1984 which was vacated due to cheating tater charlie Pell So florida first recognized sec championship was in 1991. We ain't doing too bad when u think about it.

Florida joined the SEC in 1933 and didn't win an SEC championship until 1984 which was vacated due to cheating tater charlie Pell So florida first recognized sec championship was in 1991. We ain't doing too bad when u think about it.

Florida population: 19.8 million. 3 Major schools
SC Population 4.5 million 2 major schools.

Bout the same as it has always been - except the 2014 class was an academic disaster.
So what was the point of all the upgrades and all the money spent if we are going to be satisfied with recruiting about the same as it has always been? Wasn't that why the upgrades were done, so we can compete with the big names in recruiting? So if it's the same as always, wouldn't that be a failure?

Yet they had talent under those coaches. Saban didn't walk in and start winning without any talent. He didn't go 12-0 in his second season with his own recruits. Bama gets Bama talent even with bad coaches like Shula and Dubose. Saban is a great coach. Meyer is a great coach. Spurrier is a great coach who is not coaching at a Bama or Ohio State. He has to do more with less.
WRONG! He doesn't HAVE to have less. He CHOOSES to have less because it's much easier than him recruiting his tail off going for top level talent than just go after the level or two down and try turn to them into better players. He recruits the way he coaches, trying to outsmart as opposed to out work.

So what was the point of all the upgrades and all the money spent if we are going to be satisfied with recruiting about the same as it has always been? Wasn't that why the upgrades were done, so we can compete with the big names in recruiting? So if it's the same as always, wouldn't that be a failure?

Everybody in the Big Ten and SEC are making such upgrades. The upgrades were made to invest in getting more money - not winning.

Everybody in the Big Ten and SEC are making such upgrades. The upgrades were made to invest in getting more money - not winning.
I think it is both. We invest the money into the program and facilities obviously to get more fan/booster interest BUT also to get recruits to come to USC. These 18 year olds are being shown new locker rooms and weight rooms that hopefully rival the best in the land here at SC. The hope is that the money spent positions us well to attract the elite talent that is up and coming into college football and definitely keep the hot prospects here in-state as a Gamecock.

Enough! If Clemson can constantly recruit in or near the top 10 when they have lost to us badly six straight years and we in better conference winning 11 games 3 years in a row, there is NO reason that we can do that as well with a coaching staff that makes recruiting a top priority! There ares no valid excuses! We don't recruit that way because we have choosen not to. End of discussion.

Reminds me of a local high school whom kept having a succession of coaches telling parents and fans that they just didn't have the talent to compete so they must understand that 3-8 was the pinnacle and be happy.......then the school hired a guy from another state and suddenly the school started averaging 9 wins a year or more for over a decade now.....

Turns out that people should have questioned whom kept telling them that their sons and friends were not good enough to win...why it was the coaches whom kept winning 3 times a year.....it was a crutch.

No. We were specifically told by the coaches and the administration that the upgrades were to help us recruit against the other big time schools. We needed to upgrade the facilities to get on equal ground, that we were recruiting with subpar facilities.

No. We were specifically told by the coaches and the administration that the upgrades were to help us recruit against the other big time schools. We needed to upgrade the facilities to get on equal ground, that we were recruiting with subpar facilities.

so. When will the upgrades help?

I think it is both. We invest the money into the program and facilities obviously to get more fan/booster interest BUT also to get recruits to come to USC. These 18 year olds are being shown new locker rooms and weight rooms that hopefully rival the best in the land here at SC. The hope is that the money spent positions us well to attract the elite talent that is up and coming into college football and definitely keep the hot prospects here in-state as a Gamecock.

Valid point. However, our upgrades aren't pushing us to the top. We are merely keeping up with the SEC and Big Ten middle of the pack. Our upgrades are nowhere near what Bama, Tennessee, ATM, Ohio State possess. We are merely keeping up with thee Joneses

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT