ADVERTISEMENT

We get another 3 star

Tennessee has 13 3 star recruits and they are currently ranked the No.2 recruiting class. The difference in ours and theirs is we only have 2 4 star recruits and they have 10.

Tennessee has 13 3 star recruits and they are currently ranked the No.2 recruiting class. The difference in ours and theirs is we only have 2 4 star recruits and they have 10.

Biggest difference is they gave twice the number of commitments
That is the reason for their class being ranked so high right now

Big difference: Pruitt has been there 2 years and gone from 2 conference wins to 5. Muschamp has gone 3,5,4,3 wins. Pruitt can sell recruits on an upward trajectory of his program. Muschamp can't, plus he has the Florida firing on his resume.

I believe, if we have a college football season (looking less and less likely), Muschamp's 5th season is "make or break" on his Head Coaching career, buyout or no buyout.

Big difference: Pruitt has been there 2 years and gone from 2 conference wins to 5. Muschamp has gone 3,5,4,3 wins. Pruitt can sell recruits on an upward trajectory of his program. Muschamp can't, plus he has the Florida firing on his resume.

I believe, if we have a college football season (looking less and less likely), Muschamp's 5th season is "make or break" on his Head Coaching career, buyout or no buyout.

If Muschamp has another bad season and USC retains him then phooey on us.

I’m excited about this young man as well as Simeon Price. Given last season, there’s not a lot of 4&5 star guys beating down the door to come here. I remember watching Deebo play in high school and thinking that he was going to be special in college. I don’t think he was highly rated, but he had the ability and the want to in order to be successful.

Reactions: GivEmDaSpurs
It’s not that bad that we are getting 3 stars, I am hopeful that Muschamp and are other coaches on staff are evaluating at a high level. I mean everyone knows we went 4-8 last year and just re tooled basically the entire coaching staff. That Muschamp is a lame duck unless he wins 7 or more games. Let the season play out and let the chips fall where they may.

Reactions: abbas tripudium
What’s Mac Brown’s pitch? That wore out old man has done a lot more, a lot faster , with a lot less than Muschamp
There's optimism there. They have a good brand. They have a lot of talent in-state. There is playing time. Don't know what to tell you. Year after year of disappointing performances on the field makes it easy to recruit against USC. Recruiting was pretty good the past couple of seasons, but Muschamp is running out of ammo.

Reactions: VirgilCaine
I think we're too financially strapped to fire him.
Would not one year SEC TV money not be well more than enough to buy out the remaining years of Muschamp's contract? Besides, I recall that Muschamp did agree to a reduction of his buyout in order to free up money to hire some of his new assistants. If the Athletic Department has to tighten its belt for a year to fire Muschamp, so be it. But the football program seems to be on its way to rock bottom. If Muschamp's 5th season is a typical Muschamp season, when do you bite the bullet? It took Florida only 4 seasons to say enough is enough.

We literally have the dumbest fans in America. We celebrate getting 3 stars. Only teams like App St, Tulsa, Colorado St., Arkansas St., etc should do that but yet here we are with Carolinamyke singing our praises...every damn year like clockwork.

I think App. State beat us with 2* players. We had about a 1* rating advantage, I believe, at every position.

Skai Moore, Connor Shaw, Devin Taylor, DJ Wonnum, and many others were 3 stars that turned out to be great players here.
Those are exceptions, not the rule. Do you want to name all the other 3 stars that turned out to be, well, average 3 stars?

Bottom line, that line of thinking relies on having a large majority of our roster to be not only diamonds in the rough, but difference makers. This is fantasy, as well as statistically impossible.

Do you care to name the 4 stars that turned out to be a bust? Not trying to argue, but there are exceptions to the rule in every case. Hard work beats talent when talent doesn’t work hard. These last two kids that committed seem to be hard workers and team players. I’m excited about them and for them, and I’m not going to downgrade them because of their rating from some website thats seen as much video of them as I have.

Do you care to name the 4 stars that turned out to be a bust? Not trying to argue, but there are exceptions to the rule in every case. Hard work beats talent when talent doesn’t work hard. These last two kids that committed seem to be hard workers and team players. I’m excited about them and for them, and I’m not going to downgrade them because of their rating from some website thats seen as much video of them as I have.
Rather than argue tit for tat, I'll ask this: How many teams have won the SEC with a majority of its roster comprised of 3 stars? Beyond that, how many teams have won the national championship with the same?

I'm not denigrating the recruits. They're kids chasing their dreams. But the fact that Mr. Ice Cream to Eskimos has a recruiting class currently ranked below BC, Memphis and Cincinnati (among others) is not an encouraging sign. Especially coming off a 4-8 campaign in Year 4.

I think App. State beat us with 2* players. We had about a 1* rating advantage, I believe, at every position.

thats because we have certainly, the worst coach in our conference and among the worst in the country. Muschamp’s teams are always unprepared and are terrible at fundamentals. Thus the crap blocking of the o line and awful tackling.

There are exceptions here and there but this is the treadmill that the program finds itself on. USC collects the guys that don't have solid offers from the folks one needs to make a difference in closing the gap on the schools USC needs to compete with to do anything more than struggle into some low level, Jack leg, bowl game. The big boys select, and then USC is there to take the leftovers. Are they good players? Sure. But they aren't as good as needed. Question is, with or without Muschamp, can USC get in the game to recruit at that level. Talent is the only thing that will take this program out of mediocrity

It ticks me off that some on here take advantage of a young man committing to play for our beloved USC to bash their star rating. Sure, I have Clemson envy of wanting to hand pick our share of 5* and 4* players. But, I am grateful for the athletes that choose to represent our school. To bust their behinds like every other college football player with garnet blood, sweat, and dedication to better themselves.

I wish that posters could separate how they feel about Champ and Tanner into separate threads. But in threads that talk about players to have some respect for who they are, celebrate their accomplishments, and welcome them to the family.

It ticks me off that some on here take advantage of a young man committing to play for our beloved USC to bash their star rating. Sure, I have Clemson envy of wanting to hand pick our share of 5* and 4* players. But, I am grateful for the athletes that choose to represent our school. To bust their behinds like every other college football player with garnet blood, sweat, and dedication to better themselves.

I wish that posters could separate how they feel about Champ and Tanner into separate threads. But in threads that talk about players to have some respect for who they are, celebrate their accomplishments, and welcome them to the family.
It’s a lot of people without much perspective.

I understand what you are saying. You are not wrong. Many, I'd say at least 80% of Gamecock fans, are understandably frustrated with the inexcusable current state of the football program. If we have a 2020 football season and things don't turn out well, FGF will need to shut down for one week before allowing anyone to post. On the bright side, at least people care enough to post their frustrations. If we get to the point where people just throw up their hands and give up, say "to hell with it", and become apathetic, then the Gamecock football program will be in a terminal condition. And you know how that ends. Frankly, I think we are closer to the verge of that than we realize.

Reactions: atljo#
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT