ADVERTISEMENT

"We just strike out too much" Kingston

Bring back Notre Dames volunteer assistant coach in charge of fielding and hitting. You may have heard of him, Scott Wingo.

Reactions: bdblack
With all due respect, I have to disagree with his intelligence in dealing with the KO problem. I noticed in 2018, his first year, that several of our starters struck out at a rate of 1K per 4-5 at bats .... totally unacceptable, even in little league. Not so much smarter than us on "too many strikeouts" issue, but definitely wealthier than most of us thanks to the last four years of SC coinage.
Yet that team was one game shy of Omaha.

Go get a MSU,UM,or Arkansas assistant as hitting coach! They all have great approaches at the plate, THE WHOLE TEAM!!!
Granted, their teams are physically HUGE, but they can hit for average, while adding power for mid to late innings. Arkansas is bulletproof.
This is an important offseason, what Kingston does is paramount. If it stays status quo I’ll start going to our softball games to get my live competition.

If only we had a person dedicated to leading practices who works on improving the players' skills and knowledge of the game.
You know it really shouldn't be this difficult. Early in the year when Kalil was struggling I thought next man up. But there were no other shortstop options?? Where were all the smooth fielding middle infielders every team stocks up on? This year's squad looked like a Beer League Softball team. Kingston actually got more out of them than I expected but he is also responsible for putting this roster together so....

Reactions: mUSiC-man
I also got a kick this weekend in watching some of our better hitters step out of the box after each pitch to tighten or re-adjust their gloves, even when they took a strike down-the-middle, with the bat still on their shoulder.
Everyone does this, pros included. Why do you think baseball games are so long?

Go get a MSU, UM ,or Arkansas assistant as hitting coach! They all have great approaches at the plate, THE WHOLE TEAM!!!
Granted, their teams are physically HUGE, but they can hit for average, while adding power for mid to late innings. Arkansas is bulletproof.
This is an important offseason, what Kingston does is paramount. If it stays status quo I’ll start going to our softball games to get my live competition.
Should go to softball & baseball regardless of what Kingston does.

The best teams do everything well. They do everything well because they use those skills when they can so they dont lose them. I don't know why that's so hard for some coaches to see. It's not rocket science. I ain't saying play this way or that way, just be prepared to do what it takes to win an make whatever the hell you are trying to do work.
That said, I would like to hear why we played a good bit of smallball against weaker pitching early but very little against good pitching. I assume there's some reasoning behind it. Makes no sense to me... unless you're trying to be all butch or something. Perhaps had we bunted a little more, we would have seen the ball better. It's been known to happen and Lord knows we needed to see the ball better. But somewhere along the line, we lost that tool. Cant use what you dont have I suppose. How did that happen?

Reactions: Legendary Cock
........... I also got a kick this weekend in watching some of our better hitters step out of the box after each pitch to tighten or re-adjust their gloves, even when they took a strike down-the-middle, with the bat still on their shoulder.

Everyone does this, pros included. Why do you think baseball games are so long?
I find glove adjustment quite annoying. I also find the "automatic intentional walk" annoying too. How about a manager calling for an automatic strikeout! 😁

I find glove adjustment quite annoying. I also find the "automatic intentional walk" annoying too. How about a manager calling for an automatic strikeout! 😁
I remember when the automatic intentional walk meant hitting the batter with the first pitch.

Reactions: atl-cock
Then how do you explain the same strikeout and hitting problems in the major leagues now, which are at an all time record level? And pitchers are throwing no-hitters at a record pace. I don't believe that its "just Kingston". I think you are looking for a simple answer to a complex issue.
I understand where you're coming from and I certainly agree with you. The majors started this junk, which most folks don't want to watch, so TV ratings are down. as well as seasonal attendance mostly across the board. I'm just more concerned with my team, the Gamecocks.

ADVERTISEMENT