ADVERTISEMENT

We keep losing them...

except that the rumors don't exist outside FGF
Yeah, they do. They're just more predominant here for obvious reasons. But if you go read other schools boards that regularly recruit against Clemson, you will no doubt see them come up regarding certain players. True or not, I don't have a clue...but to pretend that rumors don't exist on other boards is being willfully ignorant.

Changes at the top may be necessary. By that, I mean at the administrative level. We have a lot of folks sitting in ivory towers that presided over our demise and just twiddled their thumbs while Clemson built.

. . . . and they're not all in the Athletic Department, either.

I was paying attention.

USC beat Mizzou handily (or at least by double digits… I must admit that I didn’t watch the game). USC did beat Vandy, but It was hardly smooth sailing. USC lost to Kentucky.

The point is that if you are going to get back to being competitive in the East, you HAVE to have these three games and they should not be close. If you are struggling to beat Vandy, you probably aren’t going to have a good day against UGA, Tenn, or UF as a general rule. Forget about being competitive against whoever the SEC West sends to Atlanta. That’s just the truth and you don’t have to be a gamecock expert to know it.

Once you improve to that level (and I think WM can get you there) the real struggle begins. Namely, being able to be competitive with UF, UGA, and Tenn on a yearly basis. And let’s face it, USC has to win 2/3 of those games to have a chance at the East in most seasons. THAT’S the part I’m unsure of.

I'm so tired of know it all Clemson fans on this board!!

A win is a win. Clemson struggled to beat several teams this season, but went on to win the national championship. A single score win counts the same as a double digit win.

Reactions: lowcountrytiger
Yeah, they do. They're just more predominant here for obvious reasons. But if you go read other schools boards that regularly recruit against Clemson, you will no doubt see them come up regarding certain players. True or not, I don't have a clue...but to pretend that rumors don't exist on other boards is being willfully ignorant.
sure I know rumors exist everywhere. I guess my post was somewhat sarcastic being this is a rival board. But my point (in my original comment, not this reply to you) is that rumors on fan message boards do not constitute any wrong doing. The NCAA is not scouring msg boards for rumors. And they are not going to investigate based on a fan perception of what they have "heard" is going on.

If there is some real underhanded stuff going on, it will come out. And the NCAA will go straight to the program, ex players, ex coaches, ex recruits etc.

There are rumors ok numerous other boards also. Auburn, Tennessee, and FSU all have raised concerns as well.
And yes...message boards are always based in fact. The continual cry of cheating that is tossed about on this board is laughable. News flash...the problem is not your rivals...it's your own program. When you have a problem, you will never fix it by looking outward, but rather inward. I can assure you, if there was any truth to these rumors, the coaches at everyone of these schools would know about it, and they would notify the NCAA immediately. Believe me, the man that texted "Game On" to his players three weeks ago tonight would be all over it, as would the other coaches. And I happily admit, these coaches should be in contact with the NCAA if they have some facts. Given that has not happened, you can be assured there nothing to any of these rumors. The real reason these rumors are started is because the fans of these teams are tired of losing. In the last three meetings versus Clemson, Auburn is 0-3. In the last three meetings versus Clemson, South Carolina is 0-3. FSU is 0-2 in its last two against Clemson and Tennessee lost to Clemson the last time the teams met. 0-9...there is the real reason for rumors. You do nothing more than lose any credibility you have when you make unsubstantiated claims. You are entitled to your opinion, but not your own facts.

So Clemson wins the National Championship, while we lose the Birmingham Bowl, and people are shocked, dismayed, amazed, that Clemson is out-recruiting us, wants people fired because of it.

Just like with Coach Martin. FIRE HIM FIRE HIM. Oh wait, we're in the top 25 for the first time in forever, and sitting second in the SEC. Dang, guess we can't fire him right now. Oh well, we'll make the NCAA tourney, but then will lose before making the Final Four, so THEN we can start calling for Tanner to fire Martin. Wait, we can call for Pastides to fire Tanner AND Martin. Yea, that's it!

SMDH. Some people on this board are a waste of oxygen.

Heighten your standards. People like you are why Gamecock sports has sucked forever.
Apologists for bad coaching.

I too think that WM will improve USC football. The man is a pretty good defensive coach (I’m not giving him great yet… we’ll have to see what he can do at nonelite schools first). As far as I know, no one has ever questioned the man’s work ethic. That combo will usually lead to success.

Will WM be a good HC? I honestly don’t know and frankly I don’t see how anyone can at this point. Jury is still very much out.

I’m not sure about winning the East. Sure, USC fans are hungry. But so are UF, UGA, and Tenn fans. And I think those schools are much less tolerant of failure than USC… The east is down and has been for a while, but there are 3 sleeping giants in that division. If one of them wakes up, that could be a problem for WM.

I do think that WM will get time to prove himself. This was year one, and I can’t see him catching too much heat next year either. His seat COULD start to heat up in year three if he is still struggling to beat Mizzo, Kentucky, and Vandy, but no way he doesn’t make it to year four. After that season, there needs to be some substantial improvement. Assuming that improvement happens and USC is consistently able to beat the above teams, it’s difficult to see WM getting fired at all.

With the current administration, I can’t see a coach that can win 8 games a year for USC EVER getting fired.

East has been down for a few years, not a single team has stepped up to make a claim. But every team in the East has had a recent coaching change. The 2 longest are Butch Jones at UT and Mark Stoops at UK. Jones is catching some heat, overwhelming favorite to win the East and was damn lucky to be bowl eligible, may not be in 17 and UT fans are running out of patience. UK fans are thrilled to death with Stoops, he has improved recruiting and got them to a bowl, but wasnt able to take advantage of a down east and get to the dome, window won't be open long, may be closing already. USC will be better in 17, we will be a good bit better in 17, who knows about UF, Vandy will put a very good defense on the field, may have the best defensive coach in the conference, Missouri and UT will struggle, both are losing all their bigtime players..

But the SEC was down in general, poor QB play has really hurt the conference, at least 4 true frosh ended up being the starters by the end of the season, and multiple first time starters and it showed. Hurts got a lot of credit at Bama, but his passing is inconsistent at best, great athlete and runner, but his inability to throw downfield allowed Clemson to only really beconcerned with about 10-15 yards of the field vertically. WR screens are only so effective when you don't force the DB to respect the ability to go deep. Clemson is about to find out what its like to start a true frosh at qb again.

SEC might be down a little in 17 as well, but in 18, when the conference has upper classmen playing qb for the majority of the teams we will once again be at the top of the college football world.

East has been down for a few years, not a single team has stepped up to make a claim. But every team in the East has had a recent coaching change. The 2 longest are Butch Jones at UT and Mark Stoops at UK. Jones is catching some heat, overwhelming favorite to win the East and was damn lucky to be bowl eligible, may not be in 17 and UT fans are running out of patience. UK fans are thrilled to death with Stoops, he has improved recruiting and got them to a bowl, but wasnt able to take advantage of a down east and get to the dome, window won't be open long, may be closing already. USC will be better in 17, we will be a good bit better in 17, who knows about UF, Vandy will put a very good defense on the field, may have the best defensive coach in the conference, Missouri and UT will struggle, both are losing all their bigtime players..

But the SEC was down in general, poor QB play has really hurt the conference, at least 4 true frosh ended up being the starters by the end of the season, and multiple first time starters and it showed. Hurts got a lot of credit at Bama, but his passing is inconsistent at best, great athlete and runner, but his inability to throw downfield allowed Clemson to only really beconcerned with about 10-15 yards of the field vertically. WR screens are only so effective when you don't force the DB to respect the ability to go deep. Clemson is about to find out what its like to start a true frosh at qb again.

SEC might be down a little in 17 as well, but in 18, when the conference has upper classmen playing qb for the majority of the teams we will once again be at the top of the college football world.
Seems pretty accurate

I think that by 2018 the SEC may have another year on top. I also know that there won't be another dynasty stretch like before

There are way too many good coaches and players choosing other conferences

Very reasonable post. We'll see how it goes.
Personally, I think it’s more a function of scheme than talent. Really, when has the SEC ever had a problem attracting top talent? SEC tends to play hellacious defense and more conservative pro style offenses (that are more run heavy than the NFL obviously). There are some exceptions of course (Ole Miss and Texas A&M), but that’s pretty much what the SEC does. As a QB, you just aren’t going to throw for 500+ yards at Bama. Not when you can power run the ball. I think THIS has really lead to some of the top QBs choosing other conferences that are more friendly to dynamic QBs.

I do believe that that is starting to change as teams start to realize that they can’t out play Bama at their own game.

Very reasonable post. We'll see how it goes.
Personally, I think it’s more a function of scheme than talent. Really, when has the SEC ever had a problem attracting top talent? SEC tends to play hellacious defense and more conservative pro style offenses (that are more run heavy than the NFL obviously). There are some exceptions of course (Ole Miss and Texas A&M), but that’s pretty much what the SEC does. As a QB, you just aren’t going to throw for 500+ yards at Bama. Not when you can power run the ball. I think THIS has really lead to some of the top QBs choosing other conferences that are more friendly to dynamic QBs.

I do believe that that is starting to change as teams start to realize that they can’t out play Bama at their own game.
Cliff notes dude, no one cares about how long you feel fry taters.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT