ADVERTISEMENT

We lost a great Gamecock yesterday.

myrtlecock

Nov 30, 1998
My mother Brenda Holt passed away at MUSC in Charleston after a short illness yesterday. She was born and raised in Tabor City North Carolina before going to high school in Myrtle Beach. She met my Conwayite father when she was a senior in high school and I was on the way shortly after they were married in 1963. She played basketball for the Myrtle Beach Seahawks.

Mom was co-owner and advertising executive for the Horry Independent newspaper for many years and helped organize many of the festivals and events that are still going on today around Conway and Loris including the riverfest and Loris bogoff. My father and brother attended USC and the whole family were huge fans for as long as we can all remember.

She was president of the Horry county Gamecock club in 2003/2004 I believe. Mom also served as the Conway area chamber of commerce president. The last 20 years or so of her working life she was an insurance agent for Farm Bureau and was always one of the top three or four in the state in production. She won many extravagant trips through the insurance company including Europe, cruises to Alaska and trips to Hawaii. She loved to make sure everyone had the latest Gamecock football poster!

She will be missed but my family and I are in peace because we know that Jesus and the Father prepared a place for her and she was welcomed to her eternal home. In that we take comfort.

Your last two sentences are definitely of comfort and reassurance of her place with Christ ... also, I used to live in Conway and remember the Riverfest and the fun events associated with it ... of course, the weekly Horry Independent was a staple of our community ... may God continue to grant you peace during this time ...

My mother Brenda Holt passed away at MUSC in Charleston after a short illness yesterday. She was born and raised in Tabor City North Carolina before going to high school in Myrtle Beach. She met my Conwayite father when she was a senior in high school and I was on the way shortly after they were married in 1963. She played basketball for the Myrtle Beach Seahawks.

Mom was co-owner and advertising executive for the Horry Independent newspaper for many years and helped organize many of the festivals and events that are still going on today around Conway and Loris including the riverfest and Loris bogoff. My father and brother attended USC and the whole family were huge fans for as long as we can all remember.

She was president of the Horry county Gamecock club in 2003/2004 I believe. Mom also served as the Conway area chamber of commerce president. The last 20 years or so of her working life she was an insurance agent for Farm Bureau and was always one of the top three or four in the state in production. She won many extravagant trips through the insurance company including Europe, cruises to Alaska and trips to Hawaii. She loved to make sure everyone had the latest Gamecock football poster!

She will be missed but my family and I are in peace because we know that Jesus and the Father prepared a place for her and she was welcomed to her eternal home. In that we take comfort.
Sorry, for your loss and also for the Gamecock family. You can certainly take comfort in knowing where she is today. May God be with your family and friends.

Reactions: myrtlecock
I'll say a prayer tonight for such a wonderful woman - thanks for your great description of her life. I'm sure she was a positive force in the lives of so many people.

Your mom got a lifetime service award at the Chamber of Commerce banquet in 2019 if I remember correctly.

Your mom got a lifetime service award at the Chamber of Commerce banquet in 2019 if I remember correctly.
She did. It's mentioned in the obit
I posted.
I take it you must have been there? You live in Conway?

Funny story about that. She wasn't feeling well that day and my dad wanted to surprise her. He told her that he was receiving the award and he would be very disappointed if she didn't come to see him get it. So she got herself together and soldiered on in there.

Of course as they were reading off the achievements to present it she looked at my dad and said "you bastard they're talking about me!"

My sister actually filmed it for me so I feel like I was there. She gave her pretty good speech all things considered.

Sorry for the loss of your mother. Prayers lifted for you and your family.

Sounds like a great person and mom. God bless your family and hold them closer during this time.

I know your mom well. She was fun, smart, good hearted, wide open, hard working, a great Mom, wife, grandmother, aunt, sister, and friend. We spent some great times together. I will always remember her smile, constant laughter, and her good deeds for others.

Your dad is a special man who loved and adored Brenda. Please stay close to him. He will need all of you.

God bless your family!

Pat

So sorry for your loss. Prayers.

I know your mom well. She was fun, smart, good hearted, wide open, hard working, a great Mom, wife, grandmother, aunt, sister, and friend. We spent some great times together. I will always remember her smile, constant laughter, and her good deeds for others.

Your dad is a special man who loved and adored Brenda. Please stay close to him. He will need all of you.

God bless your family!

Pat
Hi Pat,

Thanks for coming today!

Brian

I take it you must have been there? You live in Conway?
I was there. And I am born and raised in Conway. First house I ever lived in was the Quattlebaum house. My parents moved out to near Tilly Swamp when I was 4 so we could live in the country. Not country anymore out there.

Cheers for your mother! It sounds like she had a great life! I'm terribly sorry for your loss. Prayers for you and your family in this time of trauma and grief.

May the Good LORD Bless and Keep...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT